Message Boards

Topic : 07/03 Get Rich Quick Disasters

Number of Replies: 109
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 11, 2008, 01:05:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/16/08) Do you know someone who says he or she has a great idea to make a lot of cash overnight? Does this person spend all their time, energy and money trying to make a better this or that? Dr. Phil's guests have their heads in the clouds but no money in the bank, and their loved ones want to give them a reality check. First up, Dave thinks his big–money break is around the corner. He says once one of his deals comes through, he'll being living high on the hog, though for now he lives in a tent. His ex-girlfriend, Diane, says she would marry Dave if he could get his finances figured out. Find out why Dave's mom says she's scared for her son's future. Next, Casey is only 24 but has already racked up $2.2 million in debt with rash real estate investing. He's been foreclosed on, receives calls from creditors, is considering bankruptcy, and recently, his wife handed him divorce papers. He's desperate to save his marriage, but is his wife willing to work things out? And, meet A.J. Khubani, a man who has made millions selling products on TV infomercials. He allows the Dr. Phil cameras to roll as he tells it like it is to wannabe millionaires. Find out which product caught A.J.'s eye, and what he's willing to do for this inventor. Plus, learn how to spot a two billion-dollar scheme that could take you for thousands, and don't miss the get-rich-quick ideas the Dr. Phil viewers submitted. Would you buy them? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 16, 2008, 5:13 pm CST

Thanks for your vote...

Hi ... I am Mathew, inventor of The Mailbox Game.  It has taken three years to get to where we are, so it's not quite a "Get Rich Quick" idea.  We have been using it in our home since December 2004, and to this day, the novelty for our children has continued to spark.  We have family members from all over writing letters, sending gifts, cards and postcards to our kids all the time.  Both of our children even have their own magazine subscription that gets put in their box once a month. My wife and I put notes and cards in their mailboxes often, and it has become part of our entire family and friend network. The kids absolutely love them, and check to see if they have mail daily. It truly gets a family to communicate more, and written communication has all but dissolved...until now.  We are trying diligently to license our patent and have The Mailbox Game ready for this year.  Once kids have them on their door, or in their room, a whole new world opens up to them.  Thanks for reading, and for your vote, and we hope to have it in stores soon.    If you have any questions, or comments, please fell free to e mail me at Amadico@aol.com

January 16, 2008, 5:14 pm CST

Toilet Buddies

I have a five year old child that I had such trouble toilet training....this product is amazing and I can't believe I didn't know it existed.  I think it's a brilliant idea and a must for every mother!!   I wish that couple the best of luck getting their product off the ground.  Help them Dr. Phil!  I'm telling my friends about their product.  I see they have a website....toiletbuddies.com.  Good luck to them.

January 16, 2008, 6:39 pm CST

Thanks for your support

Quote From: shadow67

I was just watching the Dr Phil show and saw some of the inventions that people had come up with - one that really caught my attention was - The Mailbox Game - looked like it was invented by a father of 2.  The short tape showed each child having his or her own mailbox in which they could receive letters from other members of the family and give letters to each other.  This idea really really is a great idea in my opinion, because it encourages reading skills, writing skills, communication skills as well as family bonding.  I really hope they are able to promote this game and make it work  because I think it is a fantastic idea.

Shadow67

Hey -- thank you for your support, I have posted a message on here to better describe what The Mailbox Game is about . . . it appears that you got it!  It really is great, and watching the kids with them, even after 3 years, doesn't wear out.  There aren't many inventions out there that can truly claim longevity in the market, but I believe this is one that will have lasting positive impacts on families everywhere.  Thank You!!!

January 16, 2008, 6:42 pm CST

Have fun, and be patient

Quote From: awakened7

I probably would have fallen into the get rich quick disaster. I  had a few good ideals and went to inventors.com on the internet. I sent the ideals to  some developers whom e-mailed me back, made a few calls and sent me some paperwork to be filled out. I was shocked as to how much it cost to get an ideal off the ground. I was thinking of doing my own research but did not know where to start except with getting the patient ,I was lost. Phil if u have information for free, to send out to virwers like me. to get there foot in the front door without it costing 5 to 10 grand! that would be a dream come ture for a regular ol whousewife with big dreams. I had played with the ideal of getting friends to sponsor the ideals for me . Glad I had a wake up call after watching your show today.Thanks Phil for the informative information!

Homemaker in West Virginia  Pam

Hi, I am Mat, the inventor of The Mailbox Game.  It is definately a process getting an idea to market, and not a quick one in most cases.  Do your homework, and DON'T be taken by the "Invention Companies" ... been there done that once; it will cost you a fortune and get you nowhere.  Be smart, and if you have any questions, feel free to e mail me at  Amadico@aol.com

January 16, 2008, 7:23 pm CST

01/16 Get Rich Quick Disasters

Quote From: mom2one2

The "gimmick" to these is that they're all bogus!  They'll send you a check, tell you to deposit or cash it, send them a specific amount, and the rest is yours to keep.  Problem is that the original check is no good, but by the time you find that out, you've already sent them their portion, and you're liable to your bank for the balance.  IF you're lucky, the bank will be suspicious of the check and refuse to cash it.  You can check a lot of these out at www.snopes.com which is a great website to refer to on questionable internet info.
I did actually receive a check from one of these places one time, even though I never e-mailed them or requested it.  It was for around $4-$5000 and even though I was knowledgeable about these types of letters and scams, I was so broke that I actually got excited about it.  I kept trying to justify how it could possibly be a real check.  Of course, in the end I did not  cash it.

January 16, 2008, 7:30 pm CST

Rich Dad, Poor Dad

This is my first post and I'm sorry to say I'm pointing out a BIG miss today. The young man who is deeply in debt and has lost his wife was supposed to be following the advice of the book Rich Dad, Poor Dad. That gentleman had a "regular job" until he was able to support himself and his family through his outside ventures. He never put himself or his family at financial risk. That should have been brought up on the show. Thank you for letting me speak my mind.

January 16, 2008, 7:37 pm CST

This Guy is a Pisces

I can almost 90% guarantee this guy was born in February or March.
N

January 16, 2008, 7:49 pm CST

Bogus Requests for Money

Dear Dr. Phil: Thank you sooooooooooooooo much for bringing to our attention, the issue on emails requesting your information to transfer you monies. I send a kabizillion of mine on to the FBI website and never got a response. These individuals are easily trackable and stoppable. Too many of our precious citizens are being robbed of their money. Thank you, again, for mentioning it on your show. Now maybe something will be done. Until then - we must just keep deleting. :o))) Kathleen Garone

January 16, 2008, 7:54 pm CST

Patent Question

Quote From: americangirl15

what was the name of the website the guy stated to go to where it only cost like $100 some dollars to patent your item(s)?

I think he said the U.S. patent office website and apply for a "provisional patent" that costs $105.?

January 16, 2008, 8:18 pm CST

Get Rick Quick Seminars - NLP???

Doctor Phil,

Could you please explain NLP, Neuro-linguistic programming? I think it is sort of a sales hypnosis to get groups of people to buy something or buy into their program? I've been to some investment seminars where they seem to be doing this. They invite you to a free or low cost day or weekend seminar and then try to sell you $40,000 worth of investment courses or several thousand dollars worth of "mentoring or coaching."

It would be interesting to know if these are sucessful for the people they coach and mentor and teach.  Would like to know if anyone here knows of anyone else involved.

Joy to you!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last