Message Boards

Topic : 01/21 Real Life Gossip Girls

Number of Replies: 277
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 18, 2008, 02:22:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Some teens are catty, mean and love to spread lies, but what happens when gossip goes too far? Kim says her daughter, Kailey, was the victim of a prank. Two of Kailey's cheer squad friends took a picture of her while she was in the shower, and the image supposedly made its way around the football team. Now, in the aftermath, the whole town is buzzing. You won't believe what the fathers of the alleged perpetrators have to say about the incident. Another girl claims she was also a victim when one of the girls took an unwanted photo of her as a joke. Hear from this alleged victim. And, Mandie and Nikki threatened the life of a classmate on MySpace after they thought she was going to steal Nikki's boyfriend. They were convicted in a court of law three years ago, and now both families say they face losing their homes because of this teen gossip. What do the girls say about their actions? And, Elizabeth started a Web site that allows anyone to gossip about anything. When a victim of lies posted on her site tells her story, will Elizabeth change her view? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 19, 2008, 8:00 am CST

01/21 Real Life Gossip Girls

A picture was taken of a girl in the shower? With what? A camera-phone, I'll bet. Such phones shouldn't be allowed at school. All these teen gals, and guys, need is a basic emergency-use cell phone. But, bringing any cell phone to school is risky. At the local HS, at least one is reported stolen every week.

January 19, 2008, 8:40 am CST

parents accountability

I believe the parents should be held accountable, these girls are obviously minors and just because they did something stupid doesn't mean they should pay the price for their actions.  A prank is a prank, shouldn't happen,  these young adults know right from wrong, they did something bad and think they shouldn't be responsible, NOT!   Having fun and laughs at someone else's expense isn't  appropriate and consequences should be administered, why slap them on the hands and say  WARNING, it doesn't teach them anything except, I got away with it, not ok in my book.  One way of stopping things like this is not to allow cell phones at school, it can be done, or only use at breaks or lunchtime, grab hold and prevent this from happening again....

January 19, 2008, 9:11 am CST

to the parents who may lose their homes

To the parents who are in danger of losing their homes: If you would have controlled your nasty daughters in the first place you wouldn't be in this mess.  I wouldn't be surprised if these parents were the "girls will be girls" type.  As long as it wasn't THEIR daughters getting picked  on, it was okay, right Mom and Dad??  Did you ever monitor your daughters' behavior, or did you hand them cell phones, and computers and let them run free with them  to do whatever pleased their little hearts?  Were you great "pals" with your daughters exercising no discipline and giving no guidelines on how to be decent human beings so you could look cool to them?  Did you ever use the word "no" to them? Well it looks like their failure to raise decent human beings came back to bite them in the end and in a very expensive way.

January 19, 2008, 10:38 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Girls Gossip Life Phil Real.  Doctor Phil are you getting mix up?. What are you talking about? Girls--

are girls and what not. See you on Monday Janurary 21st, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------

January 19, 2008, 11:10 am CST

Spreading Gossip is not good for you

Gossip when its usually not true can ruin a person's character, their life, make them lose their job and everything they owned.  It can also tear families and marriages apart.  Gossip cost my aunt her marriage.  People used to lie on her and tell her husband all kind of things about her cheating and running around with different men when it wasnt even true.  My aunt was always a tomboy she always hung out with guys growing up even though she had a few female friends.    She was the only girl until my other two aunts came along out of all her brothers which are my uncles and including my dad.  People need to stop spreading lies. It doesnt make things better.  Why would people waste their time destroying other people's lives to make themselves feel better?  I guess its because their life is already miserable and they want other people's lives to be miserable as theirs.  Its true what they say misery loves company.

January 19, 2008, 12:21 pm CST

Quote From: juliebgg

To the parents who are in danger of losing their homes: If you would have controlled your nasty daughters in the first place you wouldn't be in this mess.  I wouldn't be surprised if these parents were the "girls will be girls" type.  As long as it wasn't THEIR daughters getting picked  on, it was okay, right Mom and Dad??  Did you ever monitor your daughters' behavior, or did you hand them cell phones, and computers and let them run free with them  to do whatever pleased their little hearts?  Were you great "pals" with your daughters exercising no discipline and giving no guidelines on how to be decent human beings so you could look cool to them?  Did you ever use the word "no" to them? Well it looks like their failure to raise decent human beings came back to bite them in the end and in a very expensive way.
Finally there is another person who shares my views! This reply is "right on" - if parents knew what their children were doing things like this probably wouldn't happen. And, why do pre-teens and teens need cell phones, especially in school? I'm sorry but that is NOT the place for them. I've heard people say computers, cell phones, the internet, etc...has created a lot of our societal problems today. Just look at the stuff you can view on the internet! Not only view, but there are sites that let you build a web site for free and here you can post anything! MySpace, YouTube, and others, these sites allow anything to be posted, true or not! I won't judge all teens by the ones who are up to no good and even up to criminal-level activity. There are many good teens in the world who do good things! Bless Them! It's the bad ones that we hear about, have always heard about and probably always heard about! What scares me the most is, these kids are the future, and what kind of an adult will they be!

January 19, 2008, 12:26 pm CST

I am so happy you are doing a show on this.  I have been the subject of petty gossip on two different jobs.  The reason was I worked harder and received promotions that new hires decided they wanted.  Their only course of action was to ruin my reputation.  And the sad part is that it works.  Employers do not want to get involved in she said / she said.  

I am happy to hear that the parents are facing such dire consequences for their teens' actions.  I know that there are exceptions, but children do usually follow their parents' examples.  Sometimes they stray and do things they were not taught to do, but I don't think that parents who teach by good examples have children who stray to the extent these young women have.  

I am almost afraid to hear what the fathers think about the spreading of the nude photo.

I am looking forward to this show.

January 19, 2008, 12:29 pm CST

Quote From: juliebgg

I agree -  I hope my message gets posted --

January 19, 2008, 1:05 pm CST

In a World built on Gossip.

My mom used to tell me, when I was younger, to let it go. That made me feel as if she didn't want to hear about it and deal with it.  It was hard for me to understand, why these kids would want to say mean things to me.  When I had to deal with it on my own, it made me look and criticize myself for my faults.

Now, that I have 4 children of my own, I do things a little different now.  Especially when they are already facing it in grade school.  I encourage them everyday after school to sit and let me know how their day went.  I want to hear about their friends and what happened with "Joe" and "Sally", especially if it sounds silly. 

It means alot to mean to be close with my children.  I wish I could create a force field, to shield them from unexpected events, but I know they need this in order to learn how they can deal with it.

But for now, all I can do is encourage them to rise above the hate and look to help to those who need it help.

January 19, 2008, 1:42 pm CST

Are you for real ?

Quote From: sleiffer

I believe the parents should be held accountable, these girls are obviously minors and just because they did something stupid doesn't mean they should pay the price for their actions.  A prank is a prank, shouldn't happen,  these young adults know right from wrong, they did something bad and think they shouldn't be responsible, NOT!   Having fun and laughs at someone else's expense isn't  appropriate and consequences should be administered, why slap them on the hands and say  WARNING, it doesn't teach them anything except, I got away with it, not ok in my book.  One way of stopping things like this is not to allow cell phones at school, it can be done, or only use at breaks or lunchtime, grab hold and prevent this from happening again....
Im confused by your response. Your opening line  is " These girls are minors and therefore they shouldnt  pay the price. Then you follow it up with "their young adults and should be responsible". Perhaps it's this type of "waffling" that has our teens in a "I'll get away with mode". When disciplining (or teaching) a child let your "yes" be yes and your "no's" be no.  Yes, the girls should be disciplined. Every action has consequences....if one behaves the consequences are so rewarding !

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last