Message Boards

Topic : 01/22 Cojo: Back from the Brink

Number of Replies: 216
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 18, 2008, 02:23:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Steven Cojocaru, known to fans as Cojo, was the go-to fashion guy on the red carpet and lived a life of glitz and glamour. But that changed when he received the worst news of his life –- he was diagnosed with kidney disease and needed a transplant -- not once, but twice. Cojo chronicles his struggles in the book, Glamour, Interrupted: How I Became the Best Dressed Patient in Hollywood, and sits down with Dr. Phil to talk about his tumultuous journey. Then, Terri has been on dialysis for two-and-a-half years as she desperately waits for a kidney donor. She joins the show via Web cam to find out how Cojo maintained his positive attitude and how she can stay in the right frame of mind while waiting for a transplant. Plus, Alison and Danaye say their sister, Missie, has had two kidney transplants, and they’re worried she’s going to need a third because of her stressful lifestyle. The sisters say their mom, Janaye, is at fault for coddling Missie her whole life. What will it take for Missie to slow her life down and for her siblings to back off? And, meet a man who had a heart attack but checked out of the hospital so he could smoke a cigarette! His mom says she’s desperate to help him before he ends up in an early grave. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 31, 2008, 7:56 pm CST

God bless you both

Quote From: lynetteheck

My husband has been on dialysis for 33 years, since he was 15 years old.  He has had 5 kidney transplants, but through no fault of his own, has rejected all 5.  He took his meds, followed his diet, didn't drink or smoke.  It is frustrating to me that some people take the gift so lightly and someone like my husband, who does everything right, still lost 5 kidneys.  He has an unidentifyable antigen.  Still, he works full time, and we have a full and happy life.  Long term dialysis has led to heart disease, arthritis, and gastric bleeding.  He takes many meds and carefulyy watches his diet and fluid restrictions.  He is not as physically strong as he would like, tires easily, and is sometimes quite ill.  But he is my hero.  He keeps going physically, and emotionally.  There is life on dialysis and it can be good!

Oh, my gosh-33 yrs on dialysis and 5 kidney transplants... God bless you both!

I just wish all the people who abuse their bodies would appreciate them and see what their lives could be like if they became seriously ill. I've dealt with KD for 36 yrs, been on dialysis in the 70's and have had a transplant for 30 of those years and it makes me so angry to see people treating their bodies like garbage dumps when their lives are so very precious.

I've always said that if a person could spend a month being as ill as some people have been for years, they would change their habits immediately.

Your husband is an inspiration and a survivor and you are a wonderful wife to be by his side through all of this....! I am praying for both of you!

Pam

February 6, 2008, 11:11 am CST

Kidney disease runs in family

I watched this show. It was very good and god bless Cojo. My mother ran dialysis when I was young I remember her being hooked up th the machine in the basement of our home. She had Chronic Glumerial Nuphritis (not sure of the spelling) anyway she got a transplant from a cadavar in may 1978 , I was 4 yrs old. she had her kidney 26yrs and sadly passed away in 2004, not of kidney failure or rejection it had to do with all of the illness due to the medications she was on to keep her transplant. She got her transplant from a 16 yr old boy that was hit by a car, I thank that family everyday even though I dont have my mom anymore that I got the extra time to spend with her and she was healthy and not hooked up to the machine in our basement unable to play with my brother and I because she had to run for  4 hrs  3 times a week. My father would put her on and take her off her machine every time she ran.  They say this kidney disease runs in our family and so far it is true, my grandfather died from it at the age of 29, my uncle had 2 transplants and they both rejected he lived the rest of his life until he passed away at the age of 50 , my brother recieved a kidney from my father in 2001, He is doing well. last but not least my cousin is running dialysis because she to has this disease. So far the only people that seem to be ok is myself and my cousin Terry.

I just really felt connected with this story because even though I don't have this disease one day I could, not only that but I have been around it my entire life. i am only 33 yrs old. and know what your bun and creatnin should be for a dialysis patient I had to deal with all of that not only with mom but now with my brother. I just wanted to say thank you Dr. Phil for doing such a wonderful program. Transplant info. is very important and needs to be put out there for people to know about in detail .

February 10, 2008, 5:55 pm CST

COJO Thanks for the book.

I started COjo's book today - In a plane on my way to the Mayo Clinic to be in a trial study for a drug to reduce cysts.  I am dealing with a recent diagnosis PLD.  I also have not told anybody about my disease. 

His book is talking to me and keeping me company in this scary time of my life. 

Thank you for the book - it came to me at a startling good time.

March 19, 2008, 8:54 pm CDT

01/22 Cojo: Back from the Brink

Quote From: fromthesquare

I second your response.  Cojo's courage and inspiration has nothing to do with his sexual orientation.  He is a man that I admire.
I also second your response. Cojo has a vital message to get out to people. What better person to do it effectively! His personal life is irrevelant to this topic! Get your priorities right!

March 31, 2008, 5:16 pm CDT

Why is it the rich people and those featured on tv always get organs before the rest of us? It isn't fair!

October 20, 2008, 1:57 pm CDT

I am a Transplant reicipent

I have recieved a single lung transplant July 1 2007. And like cojo I am trying to spread the word on this important cause.

I am sorry I missed this show, I have been sending Dr. Phil emails to do a show on awareness.

Transplgranny

www.transplantalliance.or

www.transplantkids.org

First | Prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next Page | Last Page