Message Boards

Topic : 01/23 Con Artists and Thieves

Number of Replies: 153
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 18, 2008, 02:25:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
From petty theft to check fraud, Dr. Phil’s guests say they’re addicted to stealing, and it’s destroying their families. Casey says he’s been pilfering for 16 years and has ripped off groceries, appliances, DVDs -- even one of Dr. Phil’s books! Casey estimates that he’s stolen nearly $100,000 in merchandise and says his estranged brother, Zack, is clueless about the extent of his criminal activity. How does Zack respond when Casey reveals another deep, dark secret? Will the brothers be able to reconcile, and will Casey change his thieving ways? And, Micki says she uses her good looks to get jewelry and credit card numbers from men, but her kids have no idea she leads a secret life as a con artist. Recently, she was arrested for stealing $10,000 in a check fraud scheme. Find out why one friend says she deserves to be behind bars. Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s strong message for Micki. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 21, 2008, 3:17 am CST

01/23 Con Artists and Thieves

Quote From: hpmx59

Con artists and thieves. Am I dreaming of this? I did not know about this at all but  why did th--

ey take Doctor Phil Books any way?  That is not right at all. See you on Wednesday Janurary 23rd, 2008.---

Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Russell Vlaanderen, They may have taken Doctor Phil Bo-

oks in an attempt to better themselves. Do ya think?

January 21, 2008, 9:06 am CST

ID THEFT - HOW TO FIGHT BACK AND REPORT

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is very committed to investigating identity theft, internet, telephone, and mail fraud.  The FTC wants to hear from consumers who want to get information or file a complaint about identity theft or fraud.

The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers report, spot, stop, and avoid them.

The FTC website has Education is a key tool to prevent consumer injury.  The following link to the FTC website, you'll find publications with advice on avoiding scams and rip-offs, as well as tips on other consumer topics and reporting consumer fraud.

www.ftc.gov/ftc/consumer.htm 

To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit www.ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261.

The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

Hope it helps!

January 21, 2008, 5:33 pm CST

Prison

I think both of these people should be locked up in prison. I think they are nothing but a bunch of thiefs.

January 23, 2008, 12:03 am CST

kleptomania

Quote From: housewife52

Is there such a thing as a kleptomaniac? I thought that is a person who is compelled to steal stuff.

is actually not an addiction in the conventional sense of the word, although addictions and kelptomania are both mental health issues they are catagorized,diagnosed and treated differently.

Yes there is such a thing as kleptomania.

Tammy

January 23, 2008, 3:33 am CST

sadly just scratching the surface

From bitter personal experience being married to a man like this, I  recognize the tears, the remorse the deep desire to change and break the pattern of behavior... and also, sadly the utter inability  to do that.
My ex husband was never able to overcome his destructive behavior which was very much along the lines of this guest... and worse.  He had countless  hours of therapy, as well as good people surrounding him, people praying with and for him,  and he served several jail sentences, and none of it helped change the behavior.   One of the judges who sentenced him said she knew genuine remorse when she saw it. We thought we did as well.  Evidently we were wrong.

Its all very well to tell these people that they need to stop, and need to get off their high horse... they know that. more than any one. The problem is, and what I wish you had discussed is WHY do they do this.WHY cant they stop.

You tried to put them in their place when they said they were intelligent. You said you were also intelligent. But they have a different kind of edge to their intelligence, which though intellectually sophisticated is lacking in impulse control. Its great you offered to get them some help. But I think it woujld have been very helpful to give the viewers some insight into the cause of the problem. A talking to on television doesnt provide insight in these kinds of cases. I've no doubt their family and friends have told them exactly the same things youtold them on tv.  The profile is that they really ARE very bright people, well over average intelligence, they are very charming and articulate. But WHAT is the answer. What is the nature of the problem. Why does nothing anyone does for them ever help?

January 23, 2008, 6:05 am CST

Why Disclose This Secret to Your Brother?

I really don't see what the first fellow was trying to accomplish by disclosing his "secret" to his brother that he steals continually and that he has slept with 1000 guys.  He is a narcissist as well as a sociopath and seems to me that he is more interested in being on TV than in getting any real help or changing his ways.

I really don't know how he expected his brother to respond.  If I were his brother, I would get far away from him until he got some help.  

January 23, 2008, 6:20 am CST

A big problem with disorders such as compulsive theft is that we know so little about the function of the brain.  In many cases our medical and pharmacological knowledge is barely enough to manage the problem, let alone fix it. 

An interesting question would be how to best manage people with these behaviors within society while we work to discover the underlying causes and develop solutions.  Any thoughts out there?

January 23, 2008, 6:32 am CST

Thieves make us all pay!

I work as a full time Loss Prevention Detective for a grocery store chain on the East Coast. Everyday our company busts tens of thieves for shoplifting. In our company there are 22 detectives that work FULL time to cut our shrink, or loss. The paying customers as well as the employees of our stores pay the price for theives such as this jerk on your show today. As a customer, you will pay higher prices, as an employee (who not only shops at the store and must pay higher prices to compensate for thievery) our employee benefits are affected by the loss created by thieves.

I have heard so many excuses on why people steal... one lady was on food stamps and yelled at me for stopping her for stealing cheese....something that she could have gotten for FREE with her food stamps.

I don't feel sorry for this guy, or most of the thieves I stop. I work for a living...and I don't get my groceries for free..why do they assume it's okay to just take something? I don't buy into the psychological issues. This guy is working the show to possibly pull off his greatest scam yet.. attention and possibly free help.

What many people don't realize is that there is a HUGE black market for stolen goods. Baby formula, razor blades, Prilosec, cold medications as well as other electronic goods are stolen and then sold to small stores (bodega's and mom and pop shops) for half price. Many thieves then take the money and buy drugs, such as heroin. Example: A $20 dollar can of baby formula will get the thief $10.

To listen to this guy justify why he steals and how it's not an individual crime...is definitely a load of crap, as Dr. Phil stated. I just hope this guy comes into our neck of the woods so we can bust his butt!!!

I think we'll circulate his picture..putting him on our most wanted list.

This guy is a mooch...stealing money, credit cards, groceries as well as high priced items. Seems he's had a free ride for entirely too long. His apologies are empty....I'm sorry.. I don't buy into it.

January 23, 2008, 7:25 am CST

This show has reminded me, one more time, of how crooked our society has become. 

A couple of years ago, my elderly neighbor met and "befriended" a man and his wife.  She trusted them and they used her.  Her health was failing, and they were going through her house, looking for things to take, and trying to find any possible way to take every penny they could get from her.  I saw what was going on....{and, I'd heard "rumors" regarding the "man," and at least one child.  They claimed to be "chuch-going" people, and yet, went from church to church--anytime there was a problem concerning them.  He would always go to the local grocery store and purchase the "marked-down" baked goods, and what not; leave them in the back of his truck all day (sometimes in 90+ degree temperatures), and then sell them to unsuspecting people.}  So, one day, I finally forced myself to go over to talk to my neighbor.  Guess who was in the yard, as I went over?!  Needless to say, he became really loud and threatening--but, I was there for her!  So, I waited for her to open the door, and we spoke briefly (my husband had arrived, by that time, and stepped in between me and the "man").  I made sure she was ok, and asked if I could come over later, and talk.  When I got back home, I couldn't do anything but worry about her, all day.  See, "he'd" come over to "drive" her and take her to run a couple of errands...one of those errands just happened to be going to the bank.  But, as I'd promised, we finally got a small chance to talk.....and, since I was well aware of her depressed-state, and some of her health issues, I decided to leave her a note, because we never really got to speak candidly. 

She'd asked me (about a year or two prior) to collect her mail for her, and just drop it by.  So, either I'd drop it off, or I'd send my daughter.  And, we'd spend a few minutes with her, or come back later to hang out; just to make sure she was alright. 

About a day or two after the "drama" had occurred, I'd gone over to deliver her mail, and couldn't get the door open (she kept telling me to come in, and I couldn't do anything).  I watched for a little bit, and then the "man and his wife" drove up, over there.  They stayed and stayed and kept looking around....Well, our other neighbor stopped by to see her, and she couldn't get in to see her, either.  So, after the "man" left, his wife came back.  We watched and waited to see what she was going to do, and then went over.  Whenever I'd knock, my neighbor continued to tell me to come in, but the doors were still locked.  So, I finally called the police/rescue squad.  The police ended up breaking in the door, and she was laying in the floor, where she'd evidently collapsed.  (She was taken to the hospital, and died a couple of months later.)  The "couple" wouldn't do anything--once there was entry made--other than search for her purse and look for her money and so forth....(All they kept saying was how they were going to be my neighbor...)  And, the police wouldn't do anything other than tell me how I just needed "let it go," and "you know how old peole get, just ignore it."  It was not that simple.  I knew my neighbor for more than 30 years, and I was not going to sit by and watch someone take everything she and her husband had worked so hard for.

But, at what price?  (While I know I didn't kill her or anything of that nature, WHAT was really accomplished, other than letting that crooked couple know we were/are watching???  "He'd" threatened me, my husband, and my children--with witnesses, but the magistrate wouldn't even file a report.  What are you supposed to do??  Should I have just let "him" hit me, and THEN gone the judicial route??  What ever happened to "do unto others..."? 

Needless to say, after dealing with all that drama (as well as a couple of other issues), I pretty much stay home.  I go to the store, when the need arises, or spend a little "quality time" out with the family (maybe once a week), but now, I stay planted inside my home.   

(The sad part of all this was the ages of those involved.  My neighbor was close to 70, and the "man and his wife" were/are at or above 70, as well; while we are in our mid-thirties.  I guess they never grew up or got caught by the "right" person!!!)

January 23, 2008, 7:56 am CST

Just sorry they got caught

These people have zero problems with resuming their criminal lives once they leave the show.  They are not sorry they hurt people and they are not sorry for putting people in a lurch.  All they are sorry for is getting caught.  The guy ran his lip a mile a minute to obliterate the last shred of decency he had left.  There is no hope for him; he does not want it.  And Micki.....oh man, she didn't mean a word she said.  That was all an act.  She now uses HER KIDS as her conning ploy.  "Don't take me away from my kids!  I'm all they've got!"  Bullcrap.  They'd be FAR BETTER OFF with foster families or with relatives WHO KNOW BETTER.  She doesn't want help; she wants to trade gravy trains now that the conductors on her old gravy train have found her out, that's all.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last