Message Boards

Topic : 01/23 Con Artists and Thieves

Number of Replies: 153
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 18, 2008, 02:25:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
From petty theft to check fraud, Dr. Phil’s guests say they’re addicted to stealing, and it’s destroying their families. Casey says he’s been pilfering for 16 years and has ripped off groceries, appliances, DVDs -- even one of Dr. Phil’s books! Casey estimates that he’s stolen nearly $100,000 in merchandise and says his estranged brother, Zack, is clueless about the extent of his criminal activity. How does Zack respond when Casey reveals another deep, dark secret? Will the brothers be able to reconcile, and will Casey change his thieving ways? And, Micki says she uses her good looks to get jewelry and credit card numbers from men, but her kids have no idea she leads a secret life as a con artist. Recently, she was arrested for stealing $10,000 in a check fraud scheme. Find out why one friend says she deserves to be behind bars. Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s strong message for Micki. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 23, 2008, 8:04 am CST

I am apalled

Dear Dr. Phil,

I watch your show quite regularly and you have had some really good stuff on it. Todays show, 1/23/08 on con artists and thieves. I was appalled that you did not pick up on the fact Casey could have Bi-polar desease written all over him.  The stealing is shopping and purchasing big ticket items,( only he steals but same as shopping.) The sex with multiple partners, the rages of anger, the talking to fast and not making sense. Those are all Bio-polar symptoms. I have a family member with this desease and have done a lot of reading on it. Come on Dr. Phil, maybe you can not diagnois but I sure hope you have sent Casey for help with a licensed professional who can diagnois and medicate him. He would be a whole different person once he gets help. Casey kept saying he didn't know why he is the way he is with coning and stealing, you kept saying he needed to stop. Well with the proper help he can stop. I felt so bad for this man I wanted to jump into the TV and yell at you. I sure hope this man gets the proper treatment so he can have a better life and feel better about himself.

A concered viewer

January 23, 2008, 8:18 am CST

ME TOO!

Quote From: aholmesd

From bitter personal experience being married to a man like this, I  recognize the tears, the remorse the deep desire to change and break the pattern of behavior... and also, sadly the utter inability  to do that.
My ex husband was never able to overcome his destructive behavior which was very much along the lines of this guest... and worse.  He had countless  hours of therapy, as well as good people surrounding him, people praying with and for him,  and he served several jail sentences, and none of it helped change the behavior.   One of the judges who sentenced him said she knew genuine remorse when she saw it. We thought we did as well.  Evidently we were wrong.

Its all very well to tell these people that they need to stop, and need to get off their high horse... they know that. more than any one. The problem is, and what I wish you had discussed is WHY do they do this.WHY cant they stop.

You tried to put them in their place when they said they were intelligent. You said you were also intelligent. But they have a different kind of edge to their intelligence, which though intellectually sophisticated is lacking in impulse control. Its great you offered to get them some help. But I think it woujld have been very helpful to give the viewers some insight into the cause of the problem. A talking to on television doesnt provide insight in these kinds of cases. I've no doubt their family and friends have told them exactly the same things youtold them on tv.  The profile is that they really ARE very bright people, well over average intelligence, they are very charming and articulate. But WHAT is the answer. What is the nature of the problem. Why does nothing anyone does for them ever help?

My ex husband was the exact same!  I endured homelessness with two kids for this guy, and I found out he had been taking the money I put in the bank for bills and rent and spending it on supplies to make himself "appear" to the other ladies to be a man of means.  There is no telling how many other women got scammed by this guy, but I got scammed out of at least four years of hard-earned paychecks for his "hobby".  Finally, after being away from this guy for about seven years, my credit is returning to normal, I don't live in fear of being kicked out of my house or having my car towed and repoed and I don't have to get tested every six months because the affairs might have resulted in something that could have ruined my life.  My current husband has let me know how a man WITHOUT these issues is supposed to act, and it's so refreshing to feel safe and protected.

Don't get me wrong; when I was married to my ex, I tried my best to get him help.  I defended him to the death when people told me I was getting conned.  I believed him when he said our home foreclosure was the result of a "computer glitch".  I screamed at his boss who fired him for trying to embezzle twenty-five grand from the bank he worked at.  I dutifully cleaned out every car that the bank took back so they could sell it at auction because those darn banks had just misplaced our payments.  I refused to believe that a person could be so messed up he would do this not only to his wife but to his child and eventually two children.  It was about the time his mother (who has the same psychological problems) tried to kill my unborn second child that I realized they were both sick.  She screamed that her son told her all about how I stole a check from her dead brother's estate and tried to pass it off as a car payment (she was the executor, so apparently his checks were in her house.)  She screamed that she was going to kill my illegitimate child; her son had told her I had been unfaithful with a co-worker. 

I knew that not only was she sick, he was too.  And I had not become his loving life partner; I had become his victim.  For a whole year I tried to talk him into therapy, into some sort of psychological assistance; all to no avail.  Finally, when he cleaned out our bank account for the third time, he told me a psychiatrist had told him to do it because "I was evil and I was the cause of all his problems."  That's when I left.  I knew he didn't want to save our marriage and I knew he never loved me, that love was not something he was capable of in his condition.  And I knew that he would NEVER seek treatment.  I had to protect my daughters, so I sought the advice of an attorney.  Best decision I ever made. 

Now, eight years later (five of those happily remarried,) I just wonder why I stayed so long in the first place.  People like that unfortunately do not want help nor will they seek it out.  They just want to "get away with it."  He's been in trouble several times since our divorce; one time actually landed him in prison.  But I honestly don't see a bright light at the end of his tunnel; he doesn't want it.  I feel sorry for his new wife; I hope it doesn't take her four years to wise up.

January 23, 2008, 8:22 am CST

Micki is a common criminal...

I don't feel sorry for Micki and she needs to go directly to JAIL and not pass GO. Shes just another common criminal in reality, but not her mind.  In her mind because she doesn't look like what society

thinks the common criminal looks like she is not one. But I can tell you being a Ret. Corrections Officer I have seen all kinds of criminals, from all walks of life, and she just another common criminal. And yes she does need help, but she needs jail first, just like all the other common criminals. And while shes locked up up she can see counselor to start working on what got her there, like everybody else whose locked up.

January 23, 2008, 10:04 am CST

Unbelievable

These people make me sick.  I work hard 40 hours a week and still live paycheck to paycheck, but when I go to the grocery - I feel the impact that these losers impose on all of us.  I think their foreheads should be tattooed with the word "THIEF" on it - so we'll all be aware of thier foolishness.  It happens so much more than I even imagined.  Do they work at all?  Or, is their "job" to just steal, rob and defraud?  I heard a story just recently in my hometown where people will go into WalMart, buy a tv, and steal another one - using the receipt from the first "legitimate" purchase.  We need to crack down on these idiots and the hardworking consumers need to report it.  Remember this...See something, say something. 

January 23, 2008, 10:10 am CST

Gender Inequality

What both these guests have done is wrong in every sense of the word and there is no doubt in my mind that they need to be held accountable for their crime. That said...

I can't help but think that law enforcement with their guns, badge and training, are more comfortable confronting a woman than a big, tough looking guy when it comes to theft. I think the first guest is well aware that his size intimidates people and takes advantage of it to get away with shoplifting.

January 23, 2008, 10:15 am CST

01/23 Con Artists and Thieves

Quote From: marlyngo

I don't feel sorry for Micki and she needs to go directly to JAIL and not pass GO. Shes just another common criminal in reality, but not her mind.  In her mind because she doesn't look like what society

thinks the common criminal looks like she is not one. But I can tell you being a Ret. Corrections Officer I have seen all kinds of criminals, from all walks of life, and she just another common criminal. And yes she does need help, but she needs jail first, just like all the other common criminals. And while shes locked up up she can see counselor to start working on what got her there, like everybody else whose locked up.

i think that u are right on somethings but u seem like as long as people are in jail they are going to get better about what landed them in there in the first place but  i have cousins by marriage that they been to jail for petty stuff and still to this day are doin it again and again so jail does not neccessarily rehabilitate them

January 23, 2008, 10:19 am CST

Girls that think that they get away with things because they happen to be pretty really need to take a second look. You don't get out of tickets or pull off cons because you were pretty. Face it guys might be dogs but they're not stupid. They recognize prostitutes when they see them. (If your offended by that sorry but it's true, you get money from men by sleeping with them or on the promise you will.)

They don't give you money because your pretty and they think it's worth the few thousand dollars they give you just to be able to LOOK at you for a few minutes. They can buy any number of  magazines that can give them that for alot less money. They give you the money because they want the pay off! Your body! When these girls get in to trouble is when the guy is more angry then he is embarrassed. That's when the guy calls the cops and your luck runs out! Or worse he may be angry enough to hurt you or just TAKE what he thinks you promised him by force!

Pretty girls are a dime a dozen but a woman who is beautiful on the outside AND inside is priceless!!

Your brain will earn you money, respect , security, dignity, self respect etc. all your looks can earn is the right now. And as this woman is finding out it might have been fun and exciting for a minute but now all her looks earned her is a jail sentence, and children who are ashamed of her.

~Nixi

January 23, 2008, 10:26 am CST

Quote From: saemae

These people have zero problems with resuming their criminal lives once they leave the show.  They are not sorry they hurt people and they are not sorry for putting people in a lurch.  All they are sorry for is getting caught.  The guy ran his lip a mile a minute to obliterate the last shred of decency he had left.  There is no hope for him; he does not want it.  And Micki.....oh man, she didn't mean a word she said.  That was all an act.  She now uses HER KIDS as her conning ploy.  "Don't take me away from my kids!  I'm all they've got!"  Bullcrap.  They'd be FAR BETTER OFF with foster families or with relatives WHO KNOW BETTER.  She doesn't want help; she wants to trade gravy trains now that the conductors on her old gravy train have found her out, that's all.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She sunk to the last level using her kids like that!!!!! Apparently she DOES know looks can't by you every thing so she had 5 kids as a back up plan!

January 23, 2008, 10:44 am CST

Good point.

Quote From: nixi333

Girls that think that they get away with things because they happen to be pretty really need to take a second look. You don't get out of tickets or pull off cons because you were pretty. Face it guys might be dogs but they're not stupid. They recognize prostitutes when they see them. (If your offended by that sorry but it's true, you get money from men by sleeping with them or on the promise you will.)

They don't give you money because your pretty and they think it's worth the few thousand dollars they give you just to be able to LOOK at you for a few minutes. They can buy any number of  magazines that can give them that for alot less money. They give you the money because they want the pay off! Your body! When these girls get in to trouble is when the guy is more angry then he is embarrassed. That's when the guy calls the cops and your luck runs out! Or worse he may be angry enough to hurt you or just TAKE what he thinks you promised him by force!

Pretty girls are a dime a dozen but a woman who is beautiful on the outside AND inside is priceless!!

Your brain will earn you money, respect , security, dignity, self respect etc. all your looks can earn is the right now. And as this woman is finding out it might have been fun and exciting for a minute but now all her looks earned her is a jail sentence, and children who are ashamed of her.

Nixi

You made an excellent point, & a good call. I know I will never get suckered in, no matter how pretty or beautiful a woman may be, because I know what to look out for. As they all say, "Beauty is only skin deep!" No one can stay pretty or beautiful forever. What would happen if their looks start to fade out by the time they reach their mid-40's to 50's, & so on? Then what?

I do feel sorry for Micki & hope that she will get all the help that she needs, rather than to be committing these crimes again & again. She also needs to tell her children the truth about what she's doing, because lying to them about it or covering it up just only makes matters worse.

January 23, 2008, 10:57 am CST

Narcissistic & Sociopathic Behavior Is Alive & Well

I don't buy Casey's act one bit.  He seemed all too proud to brag about what he's stolen through the years, not at all sorry & those "tears" sure came fast on cue. 

I believe Micki is only sorry that she got caught.  All of a sudden her kids are so important.  I wonder why she didn't think about them BEFORE she conned, cheated & stole.

They BOTH should go to jail.  The only thing that'll convince anyone they've changed is to ACTUALLY CHANGE. 

Actions speak louder than words.  Especially when the words come from liars.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last