Message Boards

Topic : 01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

Number of Replies: 1249
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:17:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you think the government should be allowed to keep you from wearing something others may find offensive? A debate is gaining attention across the country: Should baggy pants be banned? You’ve seen them, primarily worn by men: oversized pants hanging so low that sometimes the entire behind shows! Local ordinances in 12 states have banned the low-slung look -– but are they unfairly targeting African-Americans? Dr. Phil speaks with guests on both sides of the debate -- including parents. And, Reverend Al Sharpton and Grammy nominated hip-hip artists the Ying Yang Twins join the show with their views on banning baggy pants. Get up to speed on this issue, before YOU get caught with your pants down! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 27, 2008, 8:03 pm CST

baggy pants crack me up!

I was in Wal-Mart the other day, pushing my buggy of groceries towards the check-out counter when I got caught behind a young white man wearing baggy pants. He was talking on a cell phone, walking slowly in front of me while his pants were slipping slowly down his ass. He pulled his pants up 3 times while I was trying patiently to walk behind him with my buggy of groceries so I could find a check-out counter and get the hell out of WallyWorld! I wasn't frightened by the baggy pants ... (though the checkered boxers were more underwear than I really needed to see that day, haha!) ... I really wanted to tell him to pull his pants up and put a spring in his step so he could get the heck outta my way! But I was patient and held my tongue.. I made it to the check-out counter without pushing my buggy over his heels, hehe... live and let live, right?!?

January 27, 2008, 8:33 pm CST

Not In School

My opion is..... Don't look, it is just a fadd. like flappers, beehives,wide lapels,spiked-orange hair just to name a few.  But PLEASE not in the Schools!!! 

January 27, 2008, 8:45 pm CST

Racist Issue? Not from where I sit....

I've got to laugh when I hear about this issue being a racist issue - from my experience, it's no such thing! In fact, I've never seen a black person so attired in all my time of being aware of the fad, which I became aware of in 1996 when two of my Hispanic students came to school with their pants draggin' the ground. Thank God they were wearing suspenders to make sure their drawers didn't drop, but I posed the question to one of them, what would you do if you were walking through school and your suspenders broke and you suddenly flashed the entire school? It must have made an impression on him because he never wore those pants in school again. And the only other people I've ever seen wear this "fashion" are white kids who fancy themselves "Gangsta's". I'm sure that black kids like to wear their pants that way, too, but I've never laid eyes on one of them. So, since black kids aren't the only ones wearing them, I hardly think it's a racist issue.

HOWEVER, I do consider it an issue of GOOD TASTE, and have to wonder why anyone of any color or persuasion would want to go around with their butts hanging out, skid marks and all. *LOL*

January 27, 2008, 10:42 pm CST

baggy pants

We should find some way to discourage baggy pants. These "kids" are immature and looking for attention. Personally I think just baggy pants are okay, as long as they stay on or just below the waist. I find it extremely distasteful, disguisting and ill-mannered to have them so loose that they fall down around or below the butt; or worse yet, they have to be held up by one hand so they don't fall. It's not indecent exposure, but as close to it as one can get. I thank God my children had good sense while they were going through the "insecure and difficult times". Now my daughter is 30 and my son is 26; they agreed with me back then and they agree with me now.

January 27, 2008, 11:04 pm CST

baggy pants

first of all the baggy pants style comes from the prisons where the ''female'' or receptive male wears his pants like that to show he is ready to submit to a homosexual act. so why anyone would want to emulate that i can't imagine...secondly there is a law against indecent exposure...you might not like your gran's ugly sweater but it is probably covering up her bosom. you might not like a man's pinstripe suit, but you can't see his butt... when i see morons wearing the baggy pants i have 2 thoughts....is he gay? and where is a cop when you need one!?

January 27, 2008, 11:30 pm CST

01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

Quote From: hpmx59

The Baggy Pants Debate Doctor Phil Doctor Phil I am staying out of this debate because if I do debate----

then I will get into trouble. See you on Monday Janurary 28th, 2008.  Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---

Not only blacks are wearing these.  I see plenty of other guys of every race wearing them.

I think this style looks insane, but so did a lot of the styles that my generation wore in the 60's.

Fashion trends come and go. I really have no problem with it . The problem is the gang mentality.  .

January 28, 2008, 2:33 am CST

BAGGY PANTS

It really ticks me off when other peoples likes and dislikes are forced on other people.   I fought in Viet Nam and Desert Storm so people can have freedom and here are a bunch of butt holes that try to pass laws because they don't like something.  I am not fond of baggy pants either but feel they have the right to wear them if they want to.  As long as it don't hurt anyone why shouldn't they.  WOW so somebody don't like it maybe I don't like what they are wearing too.  I risked my life so people could have freedoms and these people think just because they don't like something outlaw it.  So I don't like beards and mustaches so lets put a law into effect to ban them.  I don't like to see heavy people so lets make them stay in until they loose the weight.  Everybody has movable heads and eyes so if they don't like the looks of baggy pants look the other way.  If I see something I don't like I look the other way.  Are people so stupid they can't look the other way.  We want freedoms for what we want and like but let's take freedoms away from the people we don't like what they are doing.  Why did I risk my life for freedom?????  Look in the past on some of the stupid looking fashions they wore.  What about the hippies in the 50s?  What about the style in the 20s.

January 28, 2008, 2:35 am CST

01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

i believe that the government should have a say so in how people should wear their clothing an pulbic. people are always going to make a race issue out of everything that happens in this world. but i do believe that the youth watches rappers, R&B singers and try's to live their lives the same why they do, we as people have to stop blaming entertainers because of the behaviors of our children, raising our childs are up to us nad not what they see on TV. when we learn that then everything will be fine

January 28, 2008, 5:15 am CST

Are you kidding me!!

Hi Dr. Phil,

Even though I find guys who wear baggy pants to look silly, why should I or anyone be able to tell them what to wear. When I was growing up the style was to have our pants drag on the ground. The more rips and dirt the better. I'm sure my parents hated this look too! As long as their butts aren't showing what's the big deal. And as far as the guy who can't find his size, oh my god, are you kidding me. That's more idotic than they low slung pants.

I do not want our government dictating to us what we can and cannot wear (as long as certain body parts are covered). If I as a female want to wear a low cut shirt showing cleavage, then that's my right!!! I'm sure their are lots of bible beaters who'd find that offensive too. Where do we draw the line? We really do have a lot more important issues in this world than baggy pants. Come on, please focus on what's really important!
Thanks for listening

January 28, 2008, 5:16 am CST

Baggy Pants

Quote From: thatrabbit

Since when did it become right or fair for anyone to tell you what you can wear, unless it's a parent and a young child. There are so many more important issues that people should be trying to resolve. If the males are not going to be allowed to wear baggy jeans are they going to stop women from wearing short shorts or skirts, low cut tops, or pants that are too tight ? We all know some women who should not be dressing this way do, at least the males are covered up and don't have any body parts hanging all out. A female can just as easily hide a weapon in her shirt as a male can in baggy pants. I think if you see something you don't like look the other way instead of continuing to look. I know this show hasn't aired yet but I saw the previews.

I think it is awful that the parents don't put a stop to this hidious jester of showing you bottom, i am in my 50s' and i seen allot of gross stuff, but this is the topping on the cake, they need to get a LIFE, period.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last