Message Boards

Topic : 01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

Number of Replies: 1249
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:17:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you think the government should be allowed to keep you from wearing something others may find offensive? A debate is gaining attention across the country: Should baggy pants be banned? You’ve seen them, primarily worn by men: oversized pants hanging so low that sometimes the entire behind shows! Local ordinances in 12 states have banned the low-slung look -– but are they unfairly targeting African-Americans? Dr. Phil speaks with guests on both sides of the debate -- including parents. And, Reverend Al Sharpton and Grammy nominated hip-hip artists the Ying Yang Twins join the show with their views on banning baggy pants. Get up to speed on this issue, before YOU get caught with your pants down! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 28, 2008, 6:52 am CST

01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

I thinks its pointless for people to say "saggin" your pants isoffensive ad should be band. Me being a black male i do sag my pants a little because its the style of my genneration. I think it pathetic that race is a factor  because blacks Latinos, Asians and whites alike are wearing this style. In punk rock music heavy metal hip hop and rap this is the style. People who oppose the baggy pants style need to learn to accept it or look away.This isa generation thing every generation has had there styles now its are turn. people need to relax and let it play out, because if they continue to fight it thy will loose you cant change a generation because you don't agree with it. your simply out numbered

January 28, 2008, 6:59 am CST

baggy pants

I don't really care to see boys' underwear. I believe it has a sexual suggestion, and the next step in style would be walking around in just their underwear, front slits and oops, did a private part of my anatomy accidentally peak out? But if only criminals running away from law enforcment were to wear them, them I'm okay with it because I would hope that the pants would fall down and trip them thus making it easier for them to be caught. As far as government banning it I'm undecided but lean more toward the ban. I don't want to see it, I don't want my kids to see it, but I'm sure there are styles that people don't want to see on me. Thankfully, I don't wear them.

January 28, 2008, 7:01 am CST

Sick of the bum in the air....

I am not for the government stepping in with laws and ordinances, but I am all for parents and adults to require their children to wear pants and a belt. I am sick of seeing the crack of someones butt. I have seen some pants that might as well not be on at all. The entire boxer was visable. Where the heck are the parents. And who buys this crap for them anyway. There is no way my children would be allowed to live in my house with attire like this. I pay for their living in my house and I also pay for their clothing. I will not, nor would I allow this. I am the parent, it about time parents start being parents and quit being their kids "friend". Another issue that makes me sick is when someone where totally inappropriate clothing to church. There is this woman in our church that insists on wearing slutty tops, skirts that are way too short and she is 45 years old. Yes, she has a decent body, with breast enhancements, but you're in church, show some respect.....Did I mention she's my sister-in-law. She dresses like a tramp all the time.

January 28, 2008, 7:03 am CST

unfair test

when the two kids went to the mal, they showed the reactions of the tenant employees whose job it is to assist the customer.

there looked like there was hardly anyone , the public, in the mall.  ask them, the customers,  if they want to see someones butt.  you did no show that.  get with law enforcement, Richland Co sheriff dept has a video on how many weapons can be concealed in the baggy pants.  there are a lot of issues with this subject, you really need to look at all sides.  i work in a mall, most customers do not like it, most reactions are disgusting.

i do not want the government doing more regulating.  please let people know that malls are private property, if they dont want it, they have the right to tell you to leave.

January 28, 2008, 7:03 am CST

Quote From: cartilagecrown

So, basically you want laws to enforce dress codes to make sure everyone is presentable according to your standards.

Lets say I see an old lady with a huge woolly red and green santa-faced Christmas sweater, or a big, ugly, neon orange floral dress. Should I be able to ban ugly patterns and ill-fitting shoulder pads because I think that they make women look "ridiculous"?

How will police even enforce this? How baggy is too baggy? Will the police measure the amount of bagginess? I've seen guys wear pants about five times too big, (I dont even know how they get them to stay up) and I also know guys who get just a size or two bigger, so they have slightly baggy pants. Will the (hypothetical) law cover only REALLY baggy pants, or will anyone get fined for daring to wear their pants a size or two big? What if I'm feeling sick and I want comfortable, baggy pants and they're too baggy? What if some people just don't like tight pants?

I just wonder how people define these baggy pants. My boyfriend wears pants a size bigger just because he doesnt want them too tight on his waist. Theyre not really, really baggy, theyre only slightly baggy. The word baggy sounds weird after a while when I think about it a lot.

Yes, people need to choose their own clothes.

"Bigron" had this to say "The bottom line is people who wear baggy pants present themselves as uneducated, no parent supervision and most of all look like an idiot. If they spent half the time looking for a job as they did by pulling up their pants I guess I wouldn' fault them. " What a crock!!! My son is a high school senior who wears baggy pants. While I do not like the trend, I do not draw unfair conclusions such as the one you mentioned above. My son is very interested in his education and he works, in retail. He got the job dressed on his appearance because he brings in more young people. He will be attending college in the fall and is very career-oriented..(he also uses spell-check, you should too.) If you can't find your size in pants, which seems to be your main problem, then shop somewhere else. I have no problem finding size 36 for my son who actually wears a size 34.

January 28, 2008, 7:07 am CST

Dr. Phil,
First of all I don't feel that the "baggy pant" subject is just  a race thing! Im a big skiier, my boyfriend a big snowboarder. The "typical" snowboarder has his pants below his butt! I think it looks rediculus! Personally i look at anyone that wears there pants like that and laugh. I don't think there should be  a law against it.

January 28, 2008, 7:10 am CST

Retail experience on show

I work retail part time. We are held to not criticize our customers. To show them respect.

It does not mean that we do not care how people dress.

It disgusts me to see young people (white or black or hispanic) with pants that are about to fall off. 

It may be called sagging but to me they are just about to fall off.

I don't like seeing anyone's male or females underwear.

It can't be comfortable. Some of these people have a hard time walking across the store.

January 28, 2008, 7:11 am CST

You guys don't get it.

Sagging your pants started as a comfort and a look for the leg part of your pants. And anyone who isn't wearing a shirt long enough to cover their underwear isn't wearing the look right (period=final). Look if we live in a country where it is fine for two lovers to kiss in public, then something like this should be nothing. And i'm not againist gays, which is the point. If gay relationships are accepted, if it is ok to breast feed your child in a public eating area, then why even confront something so minor as baggy pants? Which is something that is a trend not classic and it is grown out of. 

January 28, 2008, 7:13 am CST

Dr. Phil,

Didn't baggy pants started from Jail?

One size fits all pants without belt or draw strings, for safety reasons I guess.

So it naturally was sagging and can't run away fast so on.

Besides, if you are going for a job interview, would you wear a nice suits or a saggy pants?

I am a tolerant person but butt saggy pants needs to go.  May be they should grow up like one man's comment on your show.. "after you get married, no more sagging happened".

May be all should get married then.

Have a good one,

EJ

January 28, 2008, 7:14 am CST

Why now and not then??

I grew up in the 60's and 70's during a very emotional time in our country. Today, more things are considered the "norm" than would ever have been accepted back then. In the 70's, when I was in  Junior High and High School, we had a clothing trend called "sizzler dresses". If anyone remembers these, they consisted of an extremely short dress, complete with a matching pair of "panties" that were worn under it, in case your skirt rode too far, which happened all the time. We also had the mini skirt craze, the hot pants craze, and lately, we have the girls with the cleavage craze. What makes any of these more or less important than someone wearing baggy pants and showing their boxers?  If that were a crime, plumbers would have been jailed decades ago!! Yes, I am offended by the appearance of it, but I'm not going around telling anyone to pull up their pants. Like any other clothing craze- it will eventually become passe. I am also offended by the girls that show half their breasts, and half their butts in short attire, G-string type bathing suits and overweight folks in spandex. But you can't outlaw it. That's just going a bit far. And this "issue"  being  stated as a "racial" issue is ridiculous!! It looks silly regardless of who does it!! I live in a predominantly white area and I can tell you the boys are wearing the pants like that all the time. It has nothing to do with race. Clothing trends run through the teenagers-always have-always will. Does anyone remember the trend of putting patches on blue jeans? Was it hideous looking? Now that I am an adult I see that it was. Do I wear things like that now? Of course not. We grew out of it and the kids today will grow out of it. What should be of more concern to us is the lack of respect kids today have and the increasing sense of entitlement they are exhibiting. I worked hard for what I wanted in life-on a payroll since I was 11  years old. Kids today don't think they need to work for what they want. It's up to mom and dad to provide it, regardless of the cost. We need to apply our efforts where they can do the most good and I just don't think that baggy pants are that big of an issue. Indecency is another issue, but most places have specific laws to address that already.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last