Message Boards

Topic : 01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

Number of Replies: 1249
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:17:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you think the government should be allowed to keep you from wearing something others may find offensive? A debate is gaining attention across the country: Should baggy pants be banned? You’ve seen them, primarily worn by men: oversized pants hanging so low that sometimes the entire behind shows! Local ordinances in 12 states have banned the low-slung look -– but are they unfairly targeting African-Americans? Dr. Phil speaks with guests on both sides of the debate -- including parents. And, Reverend Al Sharpton and Grammy nominated hip-hip artists the Ying Yang Twins join the show with their views on banning baggy pants. Get up to speed on this issue, before YOU get caught with your pants down! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 28, 2008, 7:45 am CST

BAGGY PANTS ISSUE

I BELIEVE THIS IS VERY DISRESPECTFUL AND IS IT NOT CONSIDERED INDECENT EXPOSURE?? 

ITS CRAZY!!!  I JUST WANT TO BLURT OUT AND HAVE IN THE PAST - PULL UP YOUR PANTS!!!

January 28, 2008, 7:45 am CST

Saggy Pants

Dr. Phil

Well I don't like seeing peoples pants down with their underwear showing but the boxers showing does not seem to bother me as much.  I don't think there should be a law against it though.   I wanted to post this message mainly to say that my son attends a school in South Carolina that this school year says if their shirts go past there pants pockets they must tuck them in.  Well I am very frustrated by this.  The school says they are doing it in case someone may be carrying a gun.  My son is an honor roll student and it well dressed and some of his shirts are longer than others.  He should not be made to wear his T-shirt tucked in just because it is a little long, on some kids especially the ones who may be a little bit chubbier than some could get picked on because of this.  The schools should have metal detectors at the doors or entrances if they are scared about guns being brought into the schools.  If someone wanted to bring a gun to school they could do it with they could do it with their shirt tucked in, so what is the point.  I have told my son to not tuck his shirt in because some things he wears to school he will leave with it tucked in and when he gets off the bus it is tucked in and he looks silly!!  I think as a parent I can choose appropriate clothes for my son and I do not think the principal should get to make the decision to say he has to tuck his shirt in.  When I tell him not to tuck it in he says if he doesn't he will get written up. This is so crazy.  Most of boys shirts these days are right at the pockets or below.  I want to find out what other parents at the school think but I am not sure how to go about doing so.  Can you help me Dr. Phil and give me your opinion?

January 28, 2008, 7:52 am CST

get a life

Quote From: bigron

Hi Dr. Phil,  I would consider myself an educated person brought up in a good setting by my 2 great parents.  I am a 36 year old white male.  I have very strong opinions on this issue.  First of all I do not think it is strictly a race issue.  Baggy pants are part of a variety of different cultures, I AM VERY SAD TO SAY.  Second of all,  baggy pants has a direct impact on my shopping experience.  I probably do not shop as much as I should however when I do explain to me why I can never find the correct waist size at stores.  I have an answer.  this is because every one of these individuals who choose to wear baggy pants are wearing my size pants.  A 36 inch waist.  They deplete the stores inventory and I can never find my size in stock.  I full y support a ban on baggy pants. I think parents need to step up to the plate and monitor the cloths that the kids wear.  It is unacceptable.  Message to the baggy pants people.  You look ridiculous.  You are ridiculous.  Grow up get a job and look presentable, not like a hoodlum.  The joke is " I wouldn't worry to much about these people running from the police they would trip." The bottom line is people who wear baggy pants present themselves as uneducated, no parent supervision and most of all look like an idiot. If they spent half the time looking for a job as they did by pulling up their pants I guess I wouldn' fault them.  Don't hand me this garbage " I need to express myself." Grop up get a job and look professional.  Please ban baggy pants.  I guess this is worst of all.  These baggy pants people are the future of our country.  Help Us Dr. Phil.
You were right when you said that "I think parents need to step up to the plate and monitor the clothes that the kids wear."  Right - THE PARENTS.  NOT the government. I'm a 37 yr old white FEMALE- one of the people that ordinance is trying to protect.  If you don't like the way they look- DON'T LOOK AT THEM. If you are in a position where you could hire them or not for a job- DONT HIRE THEM.  You sound like an idiot when you bitch about not being able to find your size- THAT'S RIDICULOUS- ever heard of the internet? You can order anything you want. When I was young, we wore oversized clothes, sweaters backwards, & sweatshirts inside out.   It's fashion & young people need to express themselves that way.  At least they aren't getting tattoos that they will regret.  They will put on suits for jobs when they need to - I did. I am a pilot & flew for United Airlines.  I cut my hair & proudly wore a uniform when the time came. Until then , I expressed myself & I am better for it.  I don't complain about inane crap like you & the other people who are just mad because they always dressed like their mamas told them to. 

January 28, 2008, 7:55 am CST

I'm with you

Quote From: margauxran

Hi Dr. Phil,

Even though I find guys who wear baggy pants to look silly, why should I or anyone be able to tell them what to wear. When I was growing up the style was to have our pants drag on the ground. The more rips and dirt the better. I'm sure my parents hated this look too! As long as their butts aren't showing what's the big deal. And as far as the guy who can't find his size, oh my god, are you kidding me. That's more idotic than they low slung pants.

I do not want our government dictating to us what we can and cannot wear (as long as certain body parts are covered). If I as a female want to wear a low cut shirt showing cleavage, then that's my right!!! I'm sure their are lots of bible beaters who'd find that offensive too. Where do we draw the line? We really do have a lot more important issues in this world than baggy pants. Come on, please focus on what's really important!
Thanks for listening
I can't believe I'm wasting this much time on this issue! I wrote a note & then I wrote another note back to that guy who can't find his size & now I'm writing to you because I love what you said.  I can't believe people want to make MORE LAWS to take away MORE FREEDOMS.

January 28, 2008, 7:57 am CST

Why are you shocked

I think this baggy pants issue is due largely to the signs of our time.  We live in a world now where kids have no respect for anything or any body.  I am so sick of  the phrase 'I have the right'. What ever happened to parents being parents and raising kids according to the bible.  God gives us our children to raise, not to let them raise themself.  Parents today are to busy doing their own thing and are not active in their kids lives and either don't know or don't care what they do, where they go or who they hang out with.  Just as long as they stay out of the parents hair. Are we so blind that we can't see that the more rights we are giving people the less morals they have.  I do not believe that the goverment should be involved in this issue.  They can't even run this country so why should they be given to job of controling the way we dress. If people would get back to the way things were 30 to 50 yrs ago and start controling their kids, instead of the other way around.  If mothers and fathers would start dressing modest  then they would have the right to make their kids do the same. But when there are moms showing everything they have, the girls will follow and designers might start desiging clothes that actually cover the body. When parents have no respect for themself or others and have the adittude  " I have the right and don't tell me what to do, then our children grow up with this same frame of mind toward their teachers, the law officals and even their parents. . I think it would be safe to say that most families in American have the road map to raising better children,  in their home, but it is covered with clutter and dust. (THE HOLY BIBLE). American needs to wake up.

January 28, 2008, 8:00 am CST

Saggi;n Pants

Hi Dr. Phil,

Even though I find guys who wear baggy pants to look silly, why should I or anyone be able to tell them what to wear. When I was growing up the style was to have our pants drag on the ground. The more rips and dirt the better. I'm sure my parents hated this look too! As long as their butts aren't showing what's the big deal. And as far as the guy who can't find his size, oh my god, are you kidding me. That's more idotic than they low slung pants.

I do not want our government dictating to us what we can and cannot wear (as long as certain body parts are covered). If I as a female want to wear a low cut shirt showing cleavage, then that's my right!!! I'm sure their are lots of bible beaters who'd find that offensive too. Where do we draw the line? We really do have a lot more important issues in this world than baggy pants. Come on, please focus on what's really important!
Thanks for listening

Dr. Phil

I just watched your show on baggy pants.  I can accept baggy pants but when you see a young man with his pants down to where it is at the middle of his butt and he turns around and you can see where his the opening to his shorts are that is being totally unacceptable.  To me it does state that you are more sexually active then you should be.  I know that is being one sided but.   My wife and I do not care to see where your ass begins and how big of a fly you have.  Your show did not bring that up.  It just focused on baggy pants.  Not on how far down they were.  There is a limit.  Just like hip huggers.  None of this was  brought up and you consider it to be a far and even battle.  There is limits just the same as language.   Yes we do have freedom of speech but it has limits on the vocabulary used.  As for your friend Big Al S.   Every time I hear him and Jessie Jackson it always turn to being raciest.  When are these guys going to trow out colors and deal with humanity.   I saw baggy pants long before the blacks started doing it and I was never in prison.   It was done back like I said before with hip hugger and the guys would wear their pants as low as they could on their hip too.  But they did not show off the underwear. 

Dr. Phil  I like your show, it brings a lot of good view to surface.  But the people you had today seem more on their views instead of what the real problem is.  How far do you wear your pants so they can sag?  That is the real point just as in language.  There is a first amendment rights.  Your style reflex's free speech but there is limits.

January 28, 2008, 8:01 am CST

Double Standard

I don't see the difference in guys wearing their baggy pants and girls wearing low rise hipster jeans.  I mean come on, the zippers on those jeans isn't even an inch long.  I don't see anyone complaining about the girls showing their thongs.

January 28, 2008, 8:04 am CST

Saggy pants are offensive

I have been a school bus driver for over 10 years.  I am sick and tired of students walking around with their butts being exposed.  This is also a safety issue, the kids can't safely move around because they are always loosing their pants down to their knees.  What would happen if these students needed to quickly evacuate a burning school bus?  The schools have a dress code that states that the pants are to be worn at the waist but they will not enforce the rule.  When I have written up the students for not following the rule, nothing is done about this at the school.  The schools that I drive for would rather not fight the battle of the pants. 

Where did this trend really start?  I have heard that in the prisons, wearing your pants low like this means you are looking from some companionship.  Has anyone else ever heard this?

January 28, 2008, 8:06 am CST

baggy pants

Hi Dr. Phil,

Thanks for listening
i think al sharpton thinks everything is race related and why would this be. all races wear clothes they like. he probably wouldnt like what i wear either

January 28, 2008, 8:11 am CST

01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

I lived on the gulf coast for a while after Katrina and had to send this after seeing the baggy pants episode. On the gulf coast there are quite a few businesses that actually will not serve you if you have your underwear showing. Most establishments all over the country have the signs on the door "no shirt, no shoes, no service"; there you will actually find those signs with the addition "underwear showing". Almost all of the businesses on Bourbon St. in New Orleans have that rule and I was so happy when I got there and saw that the owners of so many establishments felt this way. I don't want to see some random stranger's underwear; it's disgusting.

Thank you Dr. Phil for having this debate on your show.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last