Message Boards

Topic : 01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

Number of Replies: 1249
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:17:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you think the government should be allowed to keep you from wearing something others may find offensive? A debate is gaining attention across the country: Should baggy pants be banned? You’ve seen them, primarily worn by men: oversized pants hanging so low that sometimes the entire behind shows! Local ordinances in 12 states have banned the low-slung look -– but are they unfairly targeting African-Americans? Dr. Phil speaks with guests on both sides of the debate -- including parents. And, Reverend Al Sharpton and Grammy nominated hip-hip artists the Ying Yang Twins join the show with their views on banning baggy pants. Get up to speed on this issue, before YOU get caught with your pants down! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 28, 2008, 8:12 am CST

Stringbean from HeeHaw wore sagging pants

Most of the young crowd and many African Americans do not realize that sagging pants started years ago.  In the 1950's a middle aged white man name Stringbean, who was famous on the Grand Ole Opry and Hee Haw, wore his pants down almost to his knees while he sang and played a banjo.  Can you believe it?  A middle aged white man from the 1950's south helped start this style of wearing clothes.

January 28, 2008, 8:15 am CST

come on

I'm sorry but does it really matter what these guys are wearing? They are completely dressed and some of their underwear (from what I have seen) is actually over top of briefs. It is a fashion statement - that's it. I notice a few of these boys/men only because I wonder how comfortable it is with your hand on your waistband just in case. I don't see them as criminals just as I don't judge women in too small tops with no bras, cleavage all over the place and thong underwear showing over their pants or micro mini skirts as if they are hookers. We put up with stars giving everyone straight on views of their pantyless areas and we have issues with seeing a pair of flannel boxers?? It's underwear people - we all wear it and we all have butts - what we chose to do with either of those should be up to us and our parents.

January 28, 2008, 8:15 am CST

Oh No!

I believe that this so-called style of wearing your pants down below your butt is just plain nonsense.  It shows a complete disrespect to self and others.  What does this represent? It's not about not letting you express yourself, do that with words.  I do not have sons, but several nephews and I refuse to have them dress in such a manner.  I just think it is awful.    It is not a black or white issue its a teenage, or twenty something issue.   My hats off to those male who still respect self enough not to follow with this style. 

January 28, 2008, 8:16 am CST

01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

I don't think it should become a legal matter.  It is only a fashion statement. A very BAD fashion statement. Just like the clothes and hairstyles of the 80's,this too shall pass.  I personally would prefer they "PULL'EM UP!!!"  If these people are serious about growing up and being responsible citizens,they will dress accordingly.  I would never go to a job interview in a mini skirt and halter,I will dress accordingly.  But on my own time,I will dress my own way.

January 28, 2008, 8:17 am CST

Luckily, we live in a country where we have the right to raise our kids in the ways that we see fit.  I for one am a parent that will not allow the "sag" in my house. My children are being raised to look, walk, talk, and be very respectful.  Lionel on the show says that if everyone appreciated their style, that it would show a sign of respect.  well if lionel reads this maybe he could answer a question for me.  Would you respect me if i stood in line at the grocery store in front of you and your children with my ass staring you right in the face?  thought not.

January 28, 2008, 8:17 am CST

I don't want to see your underware

I like how it's been made a point that it's not a black issue, it's a cultural issue. Then one of the younger guys on stage put it on the black community... It is a cultural thing it don't matter what race you are. I know pleanty of white boys who sag their pants but you know what.... their all thugs or act like there thugs. I am a person who believes that you shouldn't let government censor things because if you let them do this what will they try next.... but if they did ban baggy pants I would be happy because I don't want to see guys underware. I don't care what color it is, I don't care how long they have been worn, and I don't care if you messed in them. I don't want to see it period. I don't have to worry about clothes being cencored because even being just 19 I dress sensibly no consertive but tastefull. I don't want to look like a tramp when I'm out, espically since I live in Toledo if I were to go out and looked like that the guys with the baggy pants would be trying to pick me up and that gets old real fast.

January 28, 2008, 8:19 am CST

01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

Quote From: upatnight

First off I am a white, suburban Mom of 4. While I am grateful that none of my kids embraces this particular style (knock on wood) I can't help thinking that  we are making way too much out of not much. While I think that this style looks silly there are styles that are just as bad if not worse from both present day as well as the past. No doubt our elders have cringed over many of our choices... who can forget Madonna's underwear overtop of her clothing.... ewwwwww. And let's not forget the very overwieght women who insist on wearing hip-huggers and a thong with a belly top.... extra ewwwwww.

If we want to give this style the heave -ho just get a bunch of wrinkly old men with protruding bellies and hairy butt cracks to start bagging out.... on second thought if we encourage these guys to dress this way we may never get them properly dressed again...ewwwww plumber's bum.

I feel that the more we make out of this, the more we try to legislate this, the more we say  dress my way ,the longer this craze will last.  It's not illegal, immoral or fattening so just pull up your big girl panties and move on.

I agree 100%

January 28, 2008, 8:19 am CST

Baggy Pants

Dr. Phil,

I told my son, that if I had ever come up on him, no matter where he was or who he was with, that if I saw his underwear, I would slap what I saw.  He was 16 years old at the time.  I've tagged him one time and he was with his friends.  He was more embarrassed than anything.  If he sags when I am not around - don't know.  But in my house, and in my presence that will not happen. He is 19 years old now and since that day I have not seen his underwear outside of his pants. 

January 28, 2008, 8:20 am CST

Government involved???

A law against baggy paints?  Then maybe there should be a law against cleavage, bad language, exposed belly button, etc.  I think that might be worse.  Everyone should be allowed to have their own particular style.  If it makes them look silly then that’s their problem.  I have been begging my mom for years to stop wearing plaided polyester suits.  She looks silly and many people have laughed at her too.  Unfortunately for me they have not made a law against that either.  Sorry Mom.

January 28, 2008, 8:20 am CST

Pull Up Your Pants

Hey while out in the mall here in Ohio you will be  asked to pull up your pants or leave,you won't  get in

most  restaurants either  -  no shoes -  no shirt  - pants down  - you don't come in. That's the way we handle the problem here. Thanks 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last