Message Boards

Topic : 01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

Number of Replies: 1249
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:17:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you think the government should be allowed to keep you from wearing something others may find offensive? A debate is gaining attention across the country: Should baggy pants be banned? You’ve seen them, primarily worn by men: oversized pants hanging so low that sometimes the entire behind shows! Local ordinances in 12 states have banned the low-slung look -– but are they unfairly targeting African-Americans? Dr. Phil speaks with guests on both sides of the debate -- including parents. And, Reverend Al Sharpton and Grammy nominated hip-hip artists the Ying Yang Twins join the show with their views on banning baggy pants. Get up to speed on this issue, before YOU get caught with your pants down! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 25, 2008, 2:39 pm CST

the baggy pants issue

Since when did it become right or fair for anyone to tell you what you can wear, unless it's a parent and a young child. There are so many more important issues that people should be trying to resolve. If the males are not going to be allowed to wear baggy jeans are they going to stop women from wearing short shorts or skirts, low cut tops, or pants that are too tight ? We all know some women who should not be dressing this way do, at least the males are covered up and don't have any body parts hanging all out. A female can just as easily hide a weapon in her shirt as a male can in baggy pants. I think if you see something you don't like look the other way instead of continuing to look. I know this show hasn't aired yet but I saw the previews.

January 25, 2008, 5:30 pm CST

Baggy Pants

Hi Dr. Phil,  I would consider myself an educated person brought up in a good setting by my 2 great parents.  I am a 36 year old white male.  I have very strong opinions on this issue.  First of all I do not think it is strictly a race issue.  Baggy pants are part of a variety of different cultures, I AM VERY SAD TO SAY.  Second of all,  baggy pants has a direct impact on my shopping experience.  I probably do not shop as much as I should however when I do explain to me why I can never find the correct waist size at stores.  I have an answer.  this is because every one of these individuals who choose to wear baggy pants are wearing my size pants.  A 36 inch waist.  They deplete the stores inventory and I can never find my size in stock.  I full y support a ban on baggy pants. I think parents need to step up to the plate and monitor the cloths that the kids wear.  It is unacceptable.  Message to the baggy pants people.  You look ridiculous.  You are ridiculous.  Grow up get a job and look presentable, not like a hoodlum.  The joke is " I wouldn't worry to much about these people running from the police they would trip." The bottom line is people who wear baggy pants present themselves as uneducated, no parent supervision and most of all look like an idiot. If they spent half the time looking for a job as they did by pulling up their pants I guess I wouldn' fault them.  Don't hand me this garbage " I need to express myself." Grop up get a job and look professional.  Please ban baggy pants.  I guess this is worst of all.  These baggy pants people are the future of our country.  Help Us Dr. Phil.

January 25, 2008, 10:45 pm CST

baggy pants

why should it matter if anyone wears baggy pants that dont mean that they're causing trouble

January 26, 2008, 3:45 am CST

01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

Quote From: bigron

Hi Dr. Phil,  I would consider myself an educated person brought up in a good setting by my 2 great parents.  I am a 36 year old white male.  I have very strong opinions on this issue.  First of all I do not think it is strictly a race issue.  Baggy pants are part of a variety of different cultures, I AM VERY SAD TO SAY.  Second of all,  baggy pants has a direct impact on my shopping experience.  I probably do not shop as much as I should however when I do explain to me why I can never find the correct waist size at stores.  I have an answer.  this is because every one of these individuals who choose to wear baggy pants are wearing my size pants.  A 36 inch waist.  They deplete the stores inventory and I can never find my size in stock.  I full y support a ban on baggy pants. I think parents need to step up to the plate and monitor the cloths that the kids wear.  It is unacceptable.  Message to the baggy pants people.  You look ridiculous.  You are ridiculous.  Grow up get a job and look presentable, not like a hoodlum.  The joke is " I wouldn't worry to much about these people running from the police they would trip." The bottom line is people who wear baggy pants present themselves as uneducated, no parent supervision and most of all look like an idiot. If they spent half the time looking for a job as they did by pulling up their pants I guess I wouldn' fault them.  Don't hand me this garbage " I need to express myself." Grop up get a job and look professional.  Please ban baggy pants.  I guess this is worst of all.  These baggy pants people are the future of our country.  Help Us Dr. Phil.

So, basically you want laws to enforce dress codes to make sure everyone is presentable according to your standards.

Let’s say I see an old lady with a huge woolly red and green santa-faced Christmas sweater, or a big, ugly, neon orange floral dress. Should I be able to ban ugly patterns and ill-fitting shoulder pads because I think that they make women look "ridiculous"?

How will police even enforce this? How baggy is too baggy? Will the police measure the amount of bagginess? I've seen guys wear pants about five times too big, (I don’t even know how they get them to stay up) and I also know guys who get just a size or two bigger, so they have slightly baggy pants. Will the (hypothetical) law cover only REALLY baggy pants, or will anyone get fined for daring to wear their pants a size or two big? What if I'm feeling sick and I want comfortable, baggy pants and they're too baggy? What if some people just don't like tight pants?

I just wonder how people define these baggy pants. My boyfriend wears pants a size bigger just because he doesn’t want them too tight on his waist. They’re not really, really baggy, they’re only slightly baggy. The word baggy sounds weird after a while when I think about it a lot.

Yes, people need to choose their own clothes.

January 26, 2008, 4:48 am CST

I do not think the government should decide whether or not baggy pants should be worn. I have never understood why in the world boys would want to wear thier pants that way. They generally are holding them up while navigating through the day. My son always favored a western cut of jeans. ALL of his friends black and white favor the baggy pants. At our local high school, there is a dress code, prohibiting baggy pants among other things. But it has never been enforced. Most of the boys seem to like the baggy pants.(black and white) As far as I know, there has not been a problem with anyone hiding weapons in thier pants.

I just think we need to be careful about what we accept that our government is going to dictate.

January 26, 2008, 5:28 am CST

Baggy Pants

I have a 14 year old son who wears baggy pants every day. We are so happy this is the style.

My son almost died 4 years ago, he had a large section of his colon removed and now has a stoma and a bag. With the baggy style my son can wear jeans, the regular style of jeans leave no room for his bag, there is a large lump under the pants that is very noticeable. We love the baggy pants and shirts. My 14 year old who has been to hell and back can now where something that is comfortable for him.

We live in a very small town out in the country, there are the kids who wear baggy pants and then there are the kids that wear the pants that are so tight that I am in awe that they can even move in them.

Why are people so interested in what others wear?  Put that interest into your community or your own children, then baggy pants wouldn't be an issue.

January 26, 2008, 6:14 am CST

Baggy pants boys

My boyfriend which is my baby daddy is African American and he is from th north side of tulsa which is the bad side of tulsa that is majorly African American. There are gangs and shootings and moms pushing a stroller in 30 degree weather there and who would think a nice man like him would come out of that kind of place. In his family everyone looks up to the grandparents and to elders are very respected.  They were raise to respect there selves and have pride in the family and not embarrass the family. They were taught to make something of themselves and prove that someone out of that environment can make it in life without being in a gang. How a family is raised there is by the family not just the parents so when a kid goes to school the represent a family and how the present themselves the men in his family can wear baggy pants as long as the boxers are not showing they have to wear a belt and believe me if they are at a family gathering and a elder finds you with your pants low they will pull them down and embarrass you and then they will tie a rope around you to keep your pants on and then you get made fun of the remainder of the day and you don't want to make grandma mad in the family. Grandmas run the family if she catches you, well you might as well leave and come back next family gathering. Also in school they hope you do a good job my man graduate with honors and the president of his class and all around sportsmen He came to the top and made a good name for the family. So I do Say it is not respectful for yourself or the people around to present yourself like that it just gives you a title and why would you want a title why don't you want to make something of yourself and show that you have over came something of living in such a run down part of a town and that you concurred life!

January 26, 2008, 6:31 am CST

Baggy Pants debate

This is dead in the water, Why? Because even though this dress style is worn by whites, blacks, hispanics etc.. because the authorities want to try to protect the american public, it gets turned into a racial issue.  The contention will be that all the other people stole thier clothing idea and because of it, it gives them a "license" to profile.. That the "man" is opressing them once more with One more thing to add to thier list.

Poppy cock!!!!!!  as  a White, working class FEMALE, I am 2x more likely to be discriminated against in this country.  I am of Scotch/Irish decent and cannot take pride in my heritage, If I do I am thrown in with biggots and idiotic hood wearing fools, and am called a racist for doing so.  The Double standard has got to go.  Trying to be fair across the board is being thrown out the window, because a select few want to feel persecuted as their ancesters were so that they can preserve the special treeatment they so often get in this country for throwing out the race card. Its rediculous! Wake up.

January 26, 2008, 7:44 am CST

Styles come and styles go, ripped jeans and fishnets in the eighties, baggy pants ans hi huggers you need to shave yourself in order to wear these days.  Personally I don't think race has anything to do with it, I live in a WASP town, and the boys here wear them as well.

My question is, who buys the clothes ? Really as a parent do you NOT control the finances and the credit cards ? If so, don't you think you have the right to say "NO" if you think an article of clothing is inappropriate ?

As for the adults, well that's just it, they buy their own clothes, personally I don't think seeing someone's underwear is attractive, and really you aren't making any statements when you are trying to be like everyone else, but then that's a decision you make for yourself.

Do we want to all be wearing uniforms a la "1984" (the book by George Orwell)? Think about it, if the government is allowed this, then what next ? Be honest here, would you really want to live in a country that IMPOSES DRESS CODES on its people (think Afghanistan and the Burka ), so they look rediculous, so what ?  This too shall pass.

As for hiding weapons, consider this, ANYONE who is DESPARATE or really WANTS to commit a crime, will find a way to hide a weapon, or cause destruction.

These kids aren't always wannabe gangstas or thugs, and they do grow up, many of them do have jobs and go to school.

I just think that before we knee jerk about things like this (and we seem to regret many knee jerk reactions) we should think about what this could entail.

January 26, 2008, 11:20 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

The Baggy Pants Debate Doctor Phil Doctor Phil I am staying out of this debate because if I do debate----

then I will get into trouble. See you on Monday Janurary 28th, 2008.  Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last