Message Boards

Topic : 01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

Number of Replies: 1249
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:17:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you think the government should be allowed to keep you from wearing something others may find offensive? A debate is gaining attention across the country: Should baggy pants be banned? You’ve seen them, primarily worn by men: oversized pants hanging so low that sometimes the entire behind shows! Local ordinances in 12 states have banned the low-slung look -– but are they unfairly targeting African-Americans? Dr. Phil speaks with guests on both sides of the debate -- including parents. And, Reverend Al Sharpton and Grammy nominated hip-hip artists the Ying Yang Twins join the show with their views on banning baggy pants. Get up to speed on this issue, before YOU get caught with your pants down! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 28, 2008, 5:17 am CST

Baggy Pants

Quote From: hpmx59

The Baggy Pants Debate Doctor Phil Doctor Phil I am staying out of this debate because if I do debate----

then I will get into trouble. See you on Monday Janurary 28th, 2008.  Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---

I am so sick of the government trying to controll our lives.  Let the young generation wear their baggy pants. I do find them to revealing but like someone else said there are women who wear to revealing clothes as well. Some who have no business wearing them. Not all kids who wear baggy pants are involved in gangs. Is the government going to stop me from wearing my baggy flannel pants when I go out to the store. Yes I like to wear my flannels out in public especially when I am not feeling so well. I know I will probably get some feed back on this. The government has just banned smoking in all public places here in Illinois. I don't think banning smoking in bars is right and I don't even go to bars. I do smoke. When people go out drinking smoking and drinking go hand in hand. The majority of people who go to the bars are smokers. I use to go to the bars back when I did drink. That is one business that shouldn't have been included in the smoking ban. If you don't smoke then don't go to the bars especially when you know the majority of the customers that go to the bars do smoke. This is just the government trying to controll what we as Americans can and can't do with our own lives. We are becoming like other countries. I was told that the government has been trying and has succeeded in banning smoking in people's own homes in some states. Well I guess I will be going to jail alot because this is my home and I will do what I want in my own home. This country is falling a part.  The government say that these kids could hide weapons in their pants well how many people have killed in public places who didn't wear baggy pants? Quite a few. Ther are more important things to worry about in this country then what people are wearing. Like healthcare. Quit sending all our damn money over seas and start by helping familes get healthcar for their children and taking care of the homeless and the veterans who have become homeless. Worry about our own country for a chnage.

January 28, 2008, 5:22 am CST

too busy making a statement to accomplsh anything

Just think how much a young man could accomplish in life if he could use two hands instead of using one to hold up his pants.  Underwear are underwear--they belong out of sight.

January 28, 2008, 5:23 am CST

This too shall Pass

First off I am a white, suburban Mom of 4. While I am grateful that none of my kids embraces this particular style (knock on wood) I can't help thinking that  we are making way too much out of not much. While I think that this style looks silly there are styles that are just as bad if not worse from both present day as well as the past. No doubt our elders have cringed over many of our choices... who can forget Madonna's underwear overtop of her clothing.... ewwwwww. And let's not forget the very overwieght women who insist on wearing hip-huggers and a thong with a belly top.... extra ewwwwww.

If we want to give this style the heave -ho just get a bunch of wrinkly old men with protruding bellies and hairy butt cracks to start bagging out.... on second thought if we encourage these guys to dress this way we may never get them properly dressed again...ewwwww plumber's bum.

I feel that the more we make out of this, the more we try to legislate this, the more we say  dress my way ,the longer this craze will last.  It's not illegal, immoral or fattening so just pull up your big girl panties and move on.

January 28, 2008, 6:07 am CST

to have baggy or not have baggy

Well let me say this much here's my 2 cents worth as much as I hate my son to wear his pants practically down around his dang ankles I dont under any circumstances believe that the government should impose thier beliefs on the rest of America so no I dont agree with the fact that they should be allowed to ban this style of dress...I'm sure they have been to a family function during their lives and they had on less than desirable attire but no one wanted them to ban that...look I could get into a bing debare about this crazy ass government that we are subjected to live under..this is just one more thing for them to try and dictate the way they for see America to be....they might as well make this a dictatorship like some of the other countries they are going to war with...lmao!!!...whats next?..I mean its bad enough that they have put a ban on smoking in a damn bar I mean come on now that is just crazy to me...but anyway I have given more like 5 cents here..lmao!!!

January 28, 2008, 6:13 am CST

Baggy Pants

I personnaly think that baggy pants are hideous looking.  I watched a young man who was wearing baggy pants running down the streat and I was laughing histerically because it looked like this young man had the shortest legs ever.  I won't say it's disrespectful but I will say that any young lady who finds it attractive on their young man needs to take a good look.  How many of these young men would want their girlfriends running around in the baggy pants?  If you want me to see your underwear then wear them on the outside of your pants.  I think businesses need not allow their employees wear the baggy pants and also our schools.  If these young men want to wear them on the streets and at home, okay fine, but I would think that wearing them at schools and places of employment one could construe it as a form of sexually harrasment.  I think it's a fad and I hope that the young men who are wearing them will eventually grow out of the phase.  They were not allowed in my home.  I had a nephew visiting from Florida and prior to him coming his grandmother and mother told him he needed to get a belt for his pants as I would not allow them in my home.  Each morning I would ask him to lift up his shirt (very oversized shirt) to see that his pants were at his waist and the belt was on.  At some point during the day I would again ask the same thing.  On one of those occasions the belt was gone and the pants were haning exposing his boxers.  I pulled his pants all the way down to his feet and said if you want me to see the boxers just show them to me, walk around with just your boxers.  Needless to say the belt was always on the pants from that day on and when her returned home (he was here about a month) it wasn't very long that he was no longer wearing this type of pants.  I guess if the parents don't mind these young men will continue to wear them but if the parent's don't like it and you are the ones buying the clothes these young men are wearing then go with them to the store and make them try them on and show you.  It made sound ridiculous but it works.  Good luck to all those mothers who want to try to stop their young men from wearing these pants.

January 28, 2008, 6:14 am CST

01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

The only thing that shocks me about baggy pants is that there are still people out there who are shocked by them.  Seems to me I've been seeing boxer shorts on the street for, what, 15 years?  I remember one kid whose pants fell down and tripped him when I was working a summer job 13 years ago.  I'm actually surprised it's still around, it's so old.  And everyone does it--black kids, white kids, Latino kids.  I thought it had ceased to be a "black kid" thing ages ago. 

I think it looks stupid and makes the people who wear it look sloppy, but I actually agree that if the government, at whatever level, bans it, where do they draw the line?  If they banned low-cut blouses or the no-bra look there would probably be an uproar comparing them to the Taliban or something almost as ridiculous.  (I, personally, don't like to see boobs hanging out, either, but every actress on TV, even ones playing cops, is wearing deep V-necks.  How is that any different from baggy pants?)

If that mom is right and the pants are a symptom of an all-over change in her kids' attitudes, she needs to address that.  Banning the pants will only change their appearance, not their mindsets.

January 28, 2008, 6:16 am CST

01/28 The Baggy Pants Debate

Quote From: upatnight

First off I am a white, suburban Mom of 4. While I am grateful that none of my kids embraces this particular style (knock on wood) I can't help thinking that  we are making way too much out of not much. While I think that this style looks silly there are styles that are just as bad if not worse from both present day as well as the past. No doubt our elders have cringed over many of our choices... who can forget Madonna's underwear overtop of her clothing.... ewwwwww. And let's not forget the very overwieght women who insist on wearing hip-huggers and a thong with a belly top.... extra ewwwwww.

If we want to give this style the heave -ho just get a bunch of wrinkly old men with protruding bellies and hairy butt cracks to start bagging out.... on second thought if we encourage these guys to dress this way we may never get them properly dressed again...ewwwww plumber's bum.

I feel that the more we make out of this, the more we try to legislate this, the more we say  dress my way ,the longer this craze will last.  It's not illegal, immoral or fattening so just pull up your big girl panties and move on.

"If we want to give this style the heave -ho just get a bunch of wrinkly old men with protruding bellies and hairy butt cracks to start bagging out."

Ha ha!  No kidding! 

Thanks--I needed a chuckle on a Monday morning (even if I didn't need that mental image).

January 28, 2008, 6:19 am CST

baggy pants

what i do not understand is why are people who can make a difference in kids life worrying about what they wear why don't they worry about what our kids are doing? every corner that you go around in our society there are kids doing drugs and alcohol. why not worry about those kids who need the help instead of what they wear. it really makes me angry to know that people are more worried about the clothes instead of the drug and alcohol probs in our county alone 8 out of 10 kids are drug addicts or abusing alcohol and people just stand around and talk about it instead of doing something about it. wake up people look at what your kids are doing instead od worrying about what theyr are wearing

January 28, 2008, 6:27 am CST

Rules already in place in school & at work!

You cannot and SHOULD NOT legislate anyone's POOR TASTE and LACK OF CLASS.

Across this country, school districts ALREADY have policies on appropriate dress codes. And the federal courts have backed the schools when/if the clothing causes any sort of educational distraction.

What we have is a bunch of spineless, weak, cowardly PRINCIPALS who won't stand up to loud-mouthed parents who don't have any class themselves. The school districts LOVE to pass the buck and have government handle every issue for them. That way they stay popular with all the parents and students and avoid any conflicts that might make it to the ears of the local school board.

If you want to dress like a fool OUTSIDE of work and school, HAVE AT IT. It's a great way for us parents to know more about the kind of kids our kids decide to hang with or date!

NO MORE FOOLISH LAWS!!!  Less govt NOT more govt!

January 28, 2008, 6:29 am CST

You go, GIRL!

Quote From: dansfae

Just think how much a young man could accomplish in life if he could use two hands instead of using one to hold up his pants.  Underwear are underwear--they belong out of sight.

WONDERUL post!

I haven't seen too many college grads dressing like this!

Young kids apparently need to learn that what they wear, what they say and how they behave CAN and WILL impact them when they go to get a job, try for a promotion, want to date a classy female/male, etc.

We cannot legislate everything. The schools and businesses ALREADY have rules on the books to keep kids dressing appropriately for the particular setting.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last