Message Boards

Topic : 01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:18:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

The Doctors are in the house! Dr. Phil’s team of medical experts, including OB-GYN Lisa Masterson, family therapist Dr. Tara Fields, pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears, plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon, and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork, come together to address some weighty topics. How many times have you tried to shed pounds but failed? Obesity in America is one of the fastest-growing epidemics. First, meet Kevin, a father and husband who weighs over 700 pounds and spends 95 percent of his day in bed. Cameras follow him on his first-ever plane trip, and you won’t believe what it takes to get a man of his size to the Dr. Phil studios. Will the journey pay off, or is this self-proclaimed food addict beyond help? Then, Alfreda was at one time considered obese at 350 pounds, but after bariatric surgery, she now weighs 175. Instead of feeling overjoyed at her dramatic weight loss, Alfreda struggles with rolls and rolls of extra skin. Can she get the body she wants by going under the knife? The Doctors speak candidly on these stories and the top health news of the day. Get in on the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 29, 2008, 8:08 pm CST

Thyroid....

Quote From: fadedpinks

How come when a person starves themselves to death it's an illness but when a person eats themselves to death it's a "life style" choice?  Suicide is suicide isn't it?  Why does the girl who is wasting away get compassion while the overeater gets berated?

I don't mean to rant but I don't understand this.  I am person doing battle with my weight  --fighting for my life I am!!  --with limited sucess and more oft then not the disappointment and dread of being overtaken by my weight once again. I once had a body to die for, was athletic; rode a bicycle 10 miles to work and back home again.  I was on my feet all day and people were always telling me to slow down.  Oh, how things have changed.  About 12 years ago I got a desk job, and started to put on weight.  The girls in my office at the time were all doing the cabbage soup diet , and I joined in to take off the extra 20 pounds I had newly aquired.  Of course I took off the weight and immediately gained it back and an extra 10 pounds.  It never occurred to me then that that diet would be the beginning of an incredible journey into the hell that is obesity.  I mean --Kevin is eating 5000 calories a day --don't you think he's sitting there wondering "why am I doing this?" or "I know this is killing me so why can't i stop?"  I know when I binge eat I certainly have these thoughts and more.  It's slow suicide, and I feel it happening with every mouthful.  Now what kind of sane person would choose that?

The last 12 years I have spent trying to figure out if I was eating too much carbs, or should I do low carbs or high protein, eat 6 times a day or 3, on and on until I just wanted to scream with fustration, and became so dietetically confused that I no longer believed what ANYONE said about diet -- I guess I finally figured out that diet wasn't gonna get it.  I decided to limit my calories to 1200 this past summer.  Unfortunately since making this decision my weight has skyrocketed  to the tune of 65 lbs.  So limiting calories isn't enough.  I realized recently that I need to EXERCISE, and about two weeks ago I started to walk.  I do 2 miles in the morning with Leslie Sansone and 1.5 miles at night with my schitzu.  It causes me great pain to do this exercise and on weekends I rest but maintain my caloric limits.  But for the last two weekends I have gained 10 lbs each weekend.  I don't understand.  I am trying so hard.  I am desparate and I want my life back!!  This is no lifestyle choice.  This is no lifestyle choice.  So have some compassion for the fat guy.  There but for the grace of God... 

I'm sorry this happened to you.  Have you had your thyroid checked?  A lot of women who are middle-aged or perimenapausal  with hypothyroidism gain weight.  Same with a tumor, or Cushing's Disease. This definitely sounds like a medical problem, and it never hurts to get a physical and blood workup. 

Even obese women need at least 1500 calories a day to stay healthy and avoid loss of nutrients.  I would worry more about your health than your weight, eat healthy, and see the doctor, and keep up with the exercise. 

I hope you find the answer youre looking for. :)

January 29, 2008, 8:09 pm CST

01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Two years ago, I was extremely obese, I weighted 255 pounds, at the moment I am recuperating from my first surgery.  I had all the excess skin removed from my abdominal area.  Despite the pain I'm currently enduring, I know that I am not only doing myself good, but this is also to help my family.   I finally understand that I need to love myself if I love my children, Dr. Phil, helped me understand this and I thank him oh, so much.

For those of you that are scared of going through surgery, I don't blame you, last Tuesday I almost ran out of the hospital, but I figured I had started this mission, I needed to ride out this mission.  Being scared is normal, but you need to ask yourself if it's  worth your life and happiness.  Go for it, do it, I assure you, when you loose your first 20 pounds, you will be so excited and energized to continue.  I did, from 255 back in December 16, 2006, to 140 now, if I could do it anyone can. 

For any of those that want support I am here willing to help in any way I can.

January 29, 2008, 8:14 pm CST

KEVIN, YOU CAN DO THIS, BEST OF LUCK!!!

Two years ago, I was extremely obese, I weighted 255 pounds, at the moment I am recuperating from my first surgery.  I had all the excess skin removed from my abdominal area.  Despite the pain I'm currently enduring, I know that I am not only doing myself good, but this is also to help my family.  I finally understand that I need to love myself if I love my children, Dr. Phil, helped me understand this and I thank him oh, so much.

For those of you that are scared of going through surgery, I don't blame you, last Tuesday I almost ran out of the hospital, but I figured I had started this mission, I needed to ride out this mission.  Being scared is normal, but you need to ask yourself if it's  worth your life and happiness.  Go for it, do it, I assure you, when you loose your first 20 pounds, you will be so excited and energized to continue.  I did, from 255 back in December 16, 2006, to 140 now, if I could do it anyone can. 

For any of those that want support I am here willing to help in any way I can.

January 29, 2008, 8:27 pm CST

Lap Band

Quote From: tlawson518

I am overweight by about 130# I am considering bypass surgery. Does anyone have any negative or positive thougts or feelings to share? I have tried every weight loss system there is. I am able to lose the weight but I always gain it back.

Thanks

After years of fighting obesity, I can say, I am thin again.  December 16, 2006, a date I will never forget, on this date I had the lap band surgery, since then I have lost 115 lbs.  I'm currently in bed recovering from my first body reconstructive surgery, I had all the excess skin removed from my abdominal.  Yes, I was scared, but I must say, Dr. Phil was right, you need to learn to love yourself so you may love your family.  I too was scared to undergo surgery but knew I had no choice, I had to jump on what would had been my last opportunity to live again.  Although, I'm pain, I'm already feeling happy.  For anyone that needs a buddy to pump them up, I am here willing to help, because I was were you are now and I already notice the change on how I feel about myself, not necessarily from the outside, but the inside as well.

January 29, 2008, 8:41 pm CST

Empathy & Tears?

700 Lbs.?  I keep hearing morbidly obese patients crying while saying, I don't know how this happened or any array of excuses. But this person admits to Pizzas, Pounds of Chicken. & Moon Pies.

And I am supposed to show sympathy??

Why should he have Bariatric Surgery when he can't even commit to reasonable eating.

I have seen several post surgery patients go right back to poor eating habits.

I am a smoker who is continually  making at least an effort to quit, & all I get are dirty looks & nasty remarks, and by FAR I have NEVER gotten Sympathy.

I think Obesity is  much costlier to the health care industry. Why are they different??????

January 29, 2008, 9:16 pm CST

Quote From: tlawson518

I am overweight by about 130# I am considering bypass surgery. Does anyone have any negative or positive thougts or feelings to share? I have tried every weight loss system there is. I am able to lose the weight but I always gain it back.

Thanks

I had the surgery in October 2003.  It was the best decision I ever made.  I was at my highest weight of approx. 400 lbs.  I'm now down to about 200.  I was on oxygen, C-Pap, and border line diabetic.  I couldn't walk through stores; I always had to be on a motorized cart.  The doctors said if I hadn't had the surgery when I did, I would probably have died within six months.  Several other members of my family have also had the surgery.  For some reason, none of us have had the same reaction to it.  I vomit almost daily, and I don't know why.  Nor, do I care.  That seems to be a small price to pay for having my life.  Three of the other members of my family do not do that.  However, two of them are starting to regain their weight.  It is definitely a life style change.  You have to change your eating habits, or you run the risk of regaining what you have lost.  And, I have.  I do not ever eat anything fried, no sugar, as few carbohydrates as I can get by with.  I basically just eat healthier.  And, I don't ever eat fast food.  Before the surgery I drank cola's.  After the surgery, I switched to caffeine and sugar free.  And, it also had to be a citric flavored drink.  That lasted a couple of years, and then I switched to sugar-free tea with lemon.  Now, I drink only sugar-free apple juice, which I make from those on the go tubes you can get at the grocery.  I had no complications from the surgery itself.  And, if I had it to do over, I would.  My biggest problem is the excess skin.  I'm at an age where I really don't care about cosmetic things.  I can live with my arms and my legs, and throat area.  But, the stomach skin causes me problems.  It pulls on my back and it constantly hurts.  It also stays raw and irritated.  It also produces a foul odor, because it stays moist.  I do not know what to do about that.  My insurance will not pay for the removal, and I do not have the financial means to pay cash for it.  I do not make enough to take out a loan either.  My budget will not allow that.  Does anyone have suggestions for me?   

January 29, 2008, 9:22 pm CST

Excess Skin

I had the by-pass surgery almost five years ago and have kept the weight off.  My problem is the excess skin.  I don't care about my arms and legs.  But, the abdominal skin is pulling at my back and causing it to hurt all of the time, and stays raw and irritated, and that causes a foul odor. 

My insurance won't pay for it.  Any suggestions on how I can get this removed without paying case.  I simply do not have the funds for this.

Even with the surgery, my former insurance company initially denied it.  However, I appealed and won.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

January 29, 2008, 9:25 pm CST

Beriactric Surgery mentioned

I can't believe that AGAIN Dr. Phil has disappointed me by having a gal willing to show her skin after surgery.......and he steps in and finds a surgeon willing to do the work she needs.  WHAT about those of us who you cannot just find a surgeon for.  I too had beriactric surgery..  I too have a disgusting body with skin hanging.  I consider myself a failure at weight loss this way.  I lost 90 lbs, but in the last 2 years have gainned back over half of it.  Some of it is just hanging skin.  It is so disgusting, I don't even want my husband to see me or touch me.  It is gross, gross, gross.   I am not able to go have surgery done.  I am not able to go to a mental health clinic.  What do the rest of us do that Dr. Phil can't just pick up and wisk away somewhere.  I really hoped to hear about ways to "deal" with the problem left after the surgery.  I am so disappointed.  I feel the Doctor's reach is as far as his guests, because he is not giving the rest of us any choices........I'D LIKE TO HEAR JUST HOW HE THINKS HE IS HELPING US WHEN HE DOES NOT TELL US WHAT COULD BE OUT THERE AS POSSIBILITIES FOR HIS VIEWERS.  I wish I could be just wisked out of Montana and taken to a place where I will be taken care of, but that is a Cinderella dream that can't happen.  Just why is he not giving advice to viewers?

January 29, 2008, 9:41 pm CST

so hard

i can relatte to him even though i do not waigh as much as he does i way 530 pounds and i dont eat like junk 24/7 but im an amotional eater and i hate that and also i have poor will power but it is getting better i have allreaddy lost 20 pounds with just getting out and trying to exercies and i feel better but i have verry mixt emotions about haveing surgery ether bypas or lap banding does any one have any pointers or ways to help id appresiat it

January 29, 2008, 10:07 pm CST

Quote From: auntdeedee

I'm happy you got to the root of your problem and are better, but this is SCARY:

"she didn't tell me until over a year later that I had 2 tapeworms, liver and pancreas flukes (which promoted diabetes) and infestation of other varieties."

You had/let someone "treat you" who knew for over a YEAR and did not TELL you that you "had 2 tapeworms, liver and pancreas flukes and infestation of other varities?"

Gasp!

No, no........she didn't tell me about it until I was well so I didn't freak out.  THis doctor is the only one I trust.  She cares how a person feels and so she didn't tell me until AFTER the infestation was cleared up. Everyone has parasites. Hopefully not tapeworms but everyone who doesn't clease annually has them and people eat all day long feeding these while they starve themselves into malnutrition.  I was officially tested in the hospital over a year ago and am free of diabetes now.  For instance, today, and this is typical, I had fresh apples all morning, lightly steamed veggies for lunch, raw veggies for snacks, fresh juiced greens all day, more lightly steamed veggies for dinner and a small bowl of raw sunflower seeds and almonds. I also had a green protein drink and will have an apple about 2 hours before I retire.  It is impossible to have diabetes when I eat like this.  I walk everyday and do streches, pray and meditate. Life is grand. It is impossible to stay on a regimen such as this if you still have parasites for they will have you crave junk to feed themselves.  I am not an unusual case.  The only thing unusual is that I had a dr. who had enough sense to have me do several parasite cleanses and live on a detox diet to get rid of the fungus too.

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last