Message Boards

Topic : 01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:18:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

The Doctors are in the house! Dr. Phil’s team of medical experts, including OB-GYN Lisa Masterson, family therapist Dr. Tara Fields, pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears, plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon, and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork, come together to address some weighty topics. How many times have you tried to shed pounds but failed? Obesity in America is one of the fastest-growing epidemics. First, meet Kevin, a father and husband who weighs over 700 pounds and spends 95 percent of his day in bed. Cameras follow him on his first-ever plane trip, and you won’t believe what it takes to get a man of his size to the Dr. Phil studios. Will the journey pay off, or is this self-proclaimed food addict beyond help? Then, Alfreda was at one time considered obese at 350 pounds, but after bariatric surgery, she now weighs 175. Instead of feeling overjoyed at her dramatic weight loss, Alfreda struggles with rolls and rolls of extra skin. Can she get the body she wants by going under the knife? The Doctors speak candidly on these stories and the top health news of the day. Get in on the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 30, 2008, 7:15 am CST

did you see who the show was dedicated too

Quote From: blinky224

I forgot to mention that I feel like he went on the show after being denied surgery by 7 different doctors that Dr. Phil was going to magically have standing by a doctor who just "happened" to do surgeries on 700 pound people and grant him his wish.  Wishful thinking!!  Dr. Phil does more than that. He is mind, body, and spirit.  Maybe not in that order but he's no stupid man!

At the end of the show did you see it was dedicated in memory too someone?

I saw it and was like OMG it wasn't Kevin was it?

January 30, 2008, 7:18 am CST

the end of the show said in loving memory too someone

Quote From: jkpaschall

the show about kevin's weight brought tears to my eyes. i'm his cousin and grew up with him .i just wanted to say thanks to dr. phil for helping him . i talked to him on the phoneafter the show was on i just told him to be positive and keep his attitude up and never let your guard down.

thank again doc.

I missed who it said though, how is Keviin?  It wasn't in memory of him was it?

January 30, 2008, 7:26 am CST

Gastric bypass

I'm a 37 year old mother of 2 wonderful kids and married to a wonderful man.  I started my weight loss juorney March of 2006.  I had overweight for most of my life.  I tried everything to lose the weight only to lose and gain more back.  Why started looking into gastric bypass was my bloodpressure was out of control, borderline diabic, numbness in my feet, sore back could hardly move in the monring,  My father had a heart attack at the age of 50 his father died of a masive heart attack at the of 60.  If I would have kept on the path that I was going I would have been in the same boat.  I did my research on gastric bypass I would go to a website called obesityhelp.com.  I had surgery Nov 8, 2006.  I stared out at 230lbs at 5'3" with a BMI of 41. To date I'm down to 110Lbs.  I know longer have high blood pressure, no more pain at all and all of my blood work looks great.  I work out three times a week for and hour and half each time.  Gastric bypass gave me my life back. 

As for the loss skin I don have it and maybe someday I  will have it taken off. 

January 30, 2008, 7:55 am CST

Tuesday's program

I watched Tuesday's program which featured Kevin who weighed 700 lbs.  All sorts of "clicks" went off as I heard him talk.  Obviously he was enabled by his family who furnished him with junk food.  I was interested when his wife said she kept supplying him with things he shouldn't have because otherwise he'd get mad.  Well, duh, how much could he harm her in his position?

I think he is a bully and if he does loose weight it will surface again.  I think his wife will leave him once he gets down to normal weight.  Will be interested to see what happens.

January 30, 2008, 8:13 am CST

BUT...

Quote From: housewife52

My dear, I believe we can all agree that Kevin indeed , acknowledged that there is a problem today on the show at 700 pounds. Would you have rather he just lay down and died because he didn't acknowledge it at 400?500?600? Isn't it enough to just be glad for him that today he DID come all the way to the DrP show and ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM?
Yes, good for him, he asked for help. How about helping yourself?

January 30, 2008, 9:00 am CST

wheelchair weight

Quote From: gimpysu

I have fought with weight my whole life (and losing) yes I am an emotional eater.  Stressed? eat Happy? eat? Being in a wheelchair and not able to exercise makes it even harder to lose, but even more important.  In my travels, I notice that many people in wheelchairs are overweight.  I have had success with Weightwatchers, but now at 50, I'm even having trouble with that.  Hmmmmmmm, what to do?
  trumpp 66 here,    I am also in a wheelchair, having weight issue,  I did not see what I look like from other people eyes, they say How great you look, not you better watch your self, your getting heavey, Then one day in a mail I receive newsletter from hope network, that have all kinds of sports for people in wheelchair, I sign up for weight lifing and snow ski,water ski, golf, biking for people in wheelchair. that was great and wounderful, I have a friend that does home exerice and I did that also I lose 31lb, then I have shoulder pain I stop everything, all of son I gain 75lb before I hit rock bottom again, Then I saw a home trainer would come to my house twice a week for 30 min.  They also gave me a meal planning, which inclue high potine and low fat, which is working very well, losing 17lb since oct,2007, 17 is great because that was over thanksgiving and christmas.  Hope people read this I have no way of knewing this, I would love to find out who read this or not,  How many people are in wheelchair that is reading also

January 30, 2008, 9:42 am CST

WOW!!!

Quote From: flopeyeman

Yes that is right 17 months ago I weighed in at 740 pounds I was completely bed bound and was on oxygen and I was an insulin dependent diabetic at 41years old I probably was going to be dead inside of a year! I wanted to have gastric bypass and contacted three different surgeons and no one would consider doing the surgery on me one surgeon even told me that if I would loose down to 450 he would do the surgery on me! If I could have lost that much weight I would not need the surgery! but I found a surgeon that would operate on me! Dr Bryne at the Medical University of South Carolina and I was operated on on Aug 30 2006 and my weight is now down to 390 pounds so I have lost 350 pounds and I am able to get around I can now drive again no more oxygen or C pap no more diabetes meds of any kind and I'm doing great I feel that I have a new life now I still have a large hernia and a lot of hanging skin that I have to deal with the doctors want me to loose down to about 350 before I can have the hernia fixed and the skin removed!!  
You must be so proud of yourself- at least I hope you are.  I hope that your story can inspire others.  I imagine that it is hard to think about losing hundreds of pounds.  I dread losing 20!  I can't imagine what it takes to do what you did.  One day, one pound at a tiime-WOW!

January 30, 2008, 11:14 am CST

01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Quote From: gimpysu

I have fought with weight my whole life (and losing) yes I am an emotional eater.  Stressed? eat Happy? eat? Being in a wheelchair and not able to exercise makes it even harder to lose, but even more important.  In my travels, I notice that many people in wheelchairs are overweight.  I have had success with Weightwatchers, but now at 50, I'm even having trouble with that.  Hmmmmmmm, what to do?

Hi,I'm in a wheelchair most of the time also its my way of getting around the house and whemn i go outsde,Have you ever tried wheelchair excercising?Just sit in you chair and twist your waist and bend from side to side also if you can bend down and touch the floor.

I do those among others just from sitting in my chair or when im sitting in front of my pc.Also try spark[people.com,I've already lost 15 pounds using that site.Good luck

January 30, 2008, 11:37 am CST

700 pond man

I watch this show and hope that man will be able to loose the weight.  I do think that his wife has a My lot to do with what he eats.  By looking at her I think she should go on the same diet he does.  If she did not bring all that fat-ting food into the house, he would not have it to eat.  I know it is hard for some people to loose weight.  That is a demon I'm fighting right now.  I had 3 blows in the past year and a half,  I lost my husband and then found out I had arthritis, and a few months later found out I was border line diabetic.  Of course being depressed I reach for my comfort zone and  pounds went on.  I bought your book Dr Phil the Ultimate Weight Solution The 7 keys to Weight loss Freedom.  I'm now watching what I eat and the pounds are coming off slowly, but they are coming off.  I know when I would weigh myself and see that I put on another 5 or 10 pounds I would get more depressed.  I feel better about myself and  I will make it to the weight I want to be.  My heart goes out to this man and I will pray that he will make it. 

January 30, 2008, 3:11 pm CST

01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Quote From: abcede

700 Lbs.?  I keep hearing morbidly obese patients crying while saying, I don't know how this happened or any array of excuses. But this person admits to Pizzas, Pounds of Chicken. & Moon Pies.

And I am supposed to show sympathy??

Why should he have Bariatric Surgery when he can't even commit to reasonable eating.

I have seen several post surgery patients go right back to poor eating habits.

I am a smoker who is continually  making at least an effort to quit, & all I get are dirty looks & nasty remarks, and by FAR I have NEVER gotten Sympathy.

I think Obesity is  much costlier to the health care industry. Why are they different??????

It's an addiction and any one who needs it and is ready for it should get help. There is lots of help for people who want to quit smoking (also an addiction). So I ask you, why shouldn't he get help.

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last