Message Boards

Topic : 01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:18:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

The Doctors are in the house! Dr. Phil’s team of medical experts, including OB-GYN Lisa Masterson, family therapist Dr. Tara Fields, pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears, plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon, and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork, come together to address some weighty topics. How many times have you tried to shed pounds but failed? Obesity in America is one of the fastest-growing epidemics. First, meet Kevin, a father and husband who weighs over 700 pounds and spends 95 percent of his day in bed. Cameras follow him on his first-ever plane trip, and you won’t believe what it takes to get a man of his size to the Dr. Phil studios. Will the journey pay off, or is this self-proclaimed food addict beyond help? Then, Alfreda was at one time considered obese at 350 pounds, but after bariatric surgery, she now weighs 175. Instead of feeling overjoyed at her dramatic weight loss, Alfreda struggles with rolls and rolls of extra skin. Can she get the body she wants by going under the knife? The Doctors speak candidly on these stories and the top health news of the day. Get in on the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 30, 2008, 6:41 pm CST

01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Quote From: sgvivas

After years of fighting obesity, I can say, I am thin again.  December 16, 2006, a date I will never forget, on this date I had the lap band surgery, since then I have lost 115 lbs.  I'm currently in bed recovering from my first body reconstructive surgery, I had all the excess skin removed from my abdominal.  Yes, I was scared, but I must say, Dr. Phil was right, you need to learn to love yourself so you may love your family.  I too was scared to undergo surgery but knew I had no choice, I had to jump on what would had been my last opportunity to live again.  Although, I'm pain, I'm already feeling happy.  For anyone that needs a buddy to pump them up, I am here willing to help, because I was were you are now and I already notice the change on how I feel about myself, not necessarily from the outside, but the inside as well.
Thanks for responding. I appreciate your advice! :)

January 30, 2008, 6:53 pm CST

Heparin overdose

Quote From: marturanop

I would like to comment about the beginning of the show when the discussion was about the Quaid twins and the overdose of Heparin. I would like to point out that as a nusrsing student I know that if the nurse would have practiced her 5 rights this would not have happened. She should have checked the drug, the amount, frequency, route, patient at least 3 times prior to giving the med. This is why nursed should not get in a hurry and do what they were taught instead of short cuts. The nurse in this case is leaglly responsible for what happened.
 I have to say I totally agree with what you are saying about the Nurse practicing the 5 rights. However in this Nurses defense, being a Nurse for 18 years I have found many many many times we are understaffed! Which you are not familiar to you yet as a student. This allows alot of room for error as you will find once you graduate in to the over rated world of Nursing. In becoming a Nurse we always want to do what is best for the patient and would never mean to harm anyone!  We are human. Alot of times vials of medication look the same, are very similar in name and dose, and are stored close together. Alot of time Pharmacy sends the medication to the floor for a specific patient. These type of issues again allow for alot of room for error. I hope in your nursing career you will take this incident and learn from it. I also hope that you will learn to support your fellow Nurses and not be as judgemental. As far as I know I have never given a wrong dose or med and I continue to pray for Gods guidance in this because it is a whole different world when you are out there on your own. I would love to know all the circumstances to this case. Good Luck with your career I wish you the best success!

January 30, 2008, 7:16 pm CST

Kevin/The Quaids

I hope that Kevin knows how much people across the country who saw the show are rooting for him to succeed.  I honestly cannot even imagine what it is like to live that way, but I hope and pray that he is inspired enough to do what it will take to get healthy and be able to live a normal life with his wife and son. 

Regarding the other topic on this same show, Dennis Quaid and his wife's twins being given the wrong prescription of Heparin, that was horrific enough on its own, let alone the fact that a few months ago I saw a news story on the EXACT same thing happening in another state.  There were several babies in one hospital given the wrong dose of Heparin. Unfortunately, all of those babies didn't survive.  The adult and infant doses were bottled/labeled very similarly and only had different shades of blue labels.  I remember thinking at the time:  They need to change one of those blue labels to red.  Well, the manufacturers obviously left things status quo even after infant children lost their lives, and the Quaids' babies as well as one other baby in the hospital at the same time had to unnecessarily go through a similarly horrific experience.

January 30, 2008, 9:43 pm CST

Quote From: nousab

I feel sorry for the man on today. I am over weight and have been struggling for 16 years. I am finally making progress through a program. It is so important to have an over all program, what ever means of weight loss is chosen. That means to look at why one over eats. For some I have found that is is an addiction that fills an emotional void. Often times over eating gives a feeling of calm and comfort. As a result anxieties or any other negative feelings are quieted for a time. That feeling is powerful and comfortable, but to keep that feeling one has to eat more frequently and in greater quantities. So, it is important that not only a weight loss program/surgery be used, but looking at why a person eats. For me every time I over eat I write down what happened before hand and what I was feeling that made me feel I have to over eat. It took me 20 years to develop bad habits and it's going to take time to get rid of them. So for all those people who are saying they don't feel sorry for him, that he should just exercise and diet....it is never that simple!!!
    I agree so much with you're post. I felt very sad for Kevin when i watched the show. its obvious he is addicted to food to end up like this. My thinking is that his wife has issues also, why would she keep feeding her husband all that junk? and not try to get him help before now? I think they both need therapy to overcome this problem. I wish Kevin well, he has a long road ahead of hard work , there is no magic pill or surgery will fix this. How sad that this family has no life... how can they when everything is centered around Kevin's weight problem. Its a terrible waste , I just cant imagine what it must be like to live like this everyday..

January 31, 2008, 4:32 am CST

Researching your doctor

the email you gave was for california doctors only. I live in Arkansas and would like to know how to research my doctor here, as well as a doctor in houston, texas.

Thanks

Donna

January 31, 2008, 4:46 am CST

Quote From: mommy2nicholas

Yes, good for him, he asked for help. How about helping yourself?
It took me a minute to figure out what you mean. I thought you meant for me to help myself. I think you're saying "How about him helping himself"?  I guess his life has been kind of an avalanche,coming to the point where he needs someone to help "dig" him out.I can't see how it does any good to dwell on how he got to this point. Let's just concentrate on helping him get better. I have never been in his situation but I can't help but have compassion and hope for Kevin. If you mean for ME to help myself, O.K. I will.

January 31, 2008, 7:24 am CST

To our Future Nurse

Quote From: marturanop

I would like to comment about the beginning of the show when the discussion was about the Quaid twins and the overdose of Heparin. I would like to point out that as a nusrsing student I know that if the nurse would have practiced her 5 rights this would not have happened. She should have checked the drug, the amount, frequency, route, patient at least 3 times prior to giving the med. This is why nursed should not get in a hurry and do what they were taught instead of short cuts. The nurse in this case is leaglly responsible for what happened.
I am glad that you wrote in.  I have been a nurse for 24 years.  It is a calling not a job.  It is a profession that makes you feel as if you have made a difference in the life of others.  Alleviating pain, reporting adverse effects, being the advocate for your patient- it is all very rewarding.  Nurses however DO get in a hurry.  You cannot keep that from occurring.  You might have another patient who you are late hanging a 2:00 IV on.  You are supposed to be at the Right time.  If you don't hurry you will make an error in time.  Maybe while you are taking your time another patient is waiting "an hour" for their pain med.  They are going to report you because "this is ridiculous!"  Maybe while you are checking your dosage a hospital aide interrupts you to tell you that  "Mrs. Jones is not looking so good."

Some of our local hospitals are using scanners with a special code on the ID bracelet and on the med.  That is a giant step forward.  Not hurrying is not practical.  You are supposed to both hurry and be accurate!

January 31, 2008, 8:35 am CST

surgery to remove excess skin

I have a question about the removal of excess skin after extreme weight loss....is the skin that is removed used to help in say, burn victims?  If not, is it used for anything at all or does it have to be discarded ?

January 31, 2008, 10:55 am CST

I need to lose over a 100 lbs.  After seeing this show really concerns me, if you lose the weight and have all that excess skin, what do you do.  Insurance will not cover the procedure to take it off.  So does anyone know if it is possible to lose that much weight and not have the excess skin.  How do they do it on the "Biggest Loser Show"?    

January 31, 2008, 1:15 pm CST

Quote From: sharonsrose

I agree so much with you're post. I felt very sad for Kevin when i watched the show. its obvious he is addicted to food to end up like this. My thinking is that his wife has issues also, why would she keep feeding her husband all that junk? and not try to get him help before now? I think they both need therapy to overcome this problem. I wish Kevin well, he has a long road ahead of hard work , there is no magic pill or surgery will fix this. How sad that this family has no life... how can they when everything is centered around Kevin's weight problem. Its a terrible waste , I just cant imagine what it must be like to live like this everyday..
I think his wife gets tired of fighting with him. I think that kevin wants the food so bad that he does what ever he can to get it. But, she is also over weight and I suppose she has food issues too. I agree that therapy needs to be offered and I'm sure Dr. Phil will offer it.

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last