Message Boards

Topic : 01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:18:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

The Doctors are in the house! Dr. Phil’s team of medical experts, including OB-GYN Lisa Masterson, family therapist Dr. Tara Fields, pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears, plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon, and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork, come together to address some weighty topics. How many times have you tried to shed pounds but failed? Obesity in America is one of the fastest-growing epidemics. First, meet Kevin, a father and husband who weighs over 700 pounds and spends 95 percent of his day in bed. Cameras follow him on his first-ever plane trip, and you won’t believe what it takes to get a man of his size to the Dr. Phil studios. Will the journey pay off, or is this self-proclaimed food addict beyond help? Then, Alfreda was at one time considered obese at 350 pounds, but after bariatric surgery, she now weighs 175. Instead of feeling overjoyed at her dramatic weight loss, Alfreda struggles with rolls and rolls of extra skin. Can she get the body she wants by going under the knife? The Doctors speak candidly on these stories and the top health news of the day. Get in on the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 6, 2008, 8:12 pm CST

01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Quote From: tlawson518

Thanks for responding. I appreciate your advice! :)
 I was wondering what it was like to go through that kind of surgery, and about how much it costs to have done? I am losing weight, not anywhere near done yet, but the loose skin does bother me. Also I have one baby now , and I'd like to have more children in a few years, should I wait to have the skin removed after I'm done having children?

February 13, 2008, 10:40 am CST

Human nature

Quote From: flthomcat

She's HUMAN and YES, she loves him.

We all make bad choices when it comes to love ones. I bet you've raised your voice at your children, you've insulted your spouse, you've talked bad about a friend, etc. Does that mean you don't love them? Of course not. It simply means you're HUMAN and you make some bad choices.

Even Dr. Phil acknowledged that it's EASY to be on the outside and call someone an enabler. It's much harder to be the loved one of the person crying, depressed, talking about dying, etc WHILE BEGGING FOR FOOD. Food can be an addiction no different than alcoholism. Look at how many loved ones allow alcohol in their homes even when they're married to or mothering an alchoholic!

People get this LARGE because the pounds come on gradually. And with the pounds come the medical problems (a few at a time) that make exercising difficult. Then the depression (from gaining weight and not being able to exercise) sets in. It's a VICIOUS cycle and a CATCH 22!

Hopefully you understand humans & human frailities more than you appear to NOT understand human nature!

No, I don't understand this extreme weight.  I don't think it's human nature to eat yourself to this size.  I do understand putting on a little extra weight but not to this degree.  I think many issues we have today is due to lack of self control.  Raising my voice at my children, insulting my spouse, or evey gossiping about a friend is in NO way compared to eating yourself to 600 lbs. This kind of weight didn't just sneak up on him.

I have a family member who is overweight.  When we go out to eat together his food choices are a reflection of his size.  I am not some health guru.  However, I know at my age I can't pig out on french fries and ice cream and still fit in my jeans.  It's all about choices.  We have free choice.  Every day we get to choose what we eat.  If it's not working - change it!   So, yes your right I don't get it and probably won't. 

February 15, 2008, 2:35 pm CST

Dr. Fields needs some compassion

I was really taken aback by Dr. Fields' attack of Kevin:  “You don't have to go to a doctor to know that eating fried ham and cheese sandwiches and Little Debbies and all that kind of stuff is going to make you fat,” she says.  Well OF COURSE he knows these will make him fat, in the long run; but in the short run they are very comforting and make him feel instantly better.  I know because I too am a food addict.  Would you tell a drug addict asking for help, "Well, you idiot, didn't you know that shooting heroin was going to make you sick?"  That's the irony of addiction -- the addict knows the behavior is bad but can't help himself.  If we could do it by ourselves, we would.  And we're already demoralized enough with our own shame and depression and anger at ourselves (feelings which, by the way, we numb with more food), so we really don't need a "professional" making us feel any worse with their self-righteous judgments.  Obviously Dr. Fields has no personal issues with food, so it's easy for her to judge and not understand.  My question is, how did she get to be a "shrink"?  Don't you have to have compassion to do that job?  Don't you have to know about addiction to be able to treat it? 

And I sincerely hope Kevin is going to be provided with ongoing therapy and addiction counseling, because once he starts eating the healthy food plan and stops all the junk food, by about the second or third day every cell in his body is going to be positively screaming for sugar and preservatives because there is no doubt in my mind he is completely mentally AND physically addicted to these substances.

Does he know . . ."that eating fried ham and cheese sandwiches and Little Debbies and all that kind of stuff" will make him fat?  Of course he does!  But he's locked in a downward spiral of the more he eats the worse he feels and the worse he feels the more he eats, and he's so depressed that he doesn't have the emotional strength or self esteem it takes to bring himself to embark on such an overwhelming task.  THAT'S WHY HE ASKED FOR HELP!!

To all those self-righteous haters, I only pray your life is always so easy and that you never get so harshly judged yourself!

February 29, 2008, 6:07 pm CST

Kevin

I would like to know how Kevin is doing since the show.  I know it hasn't been long, but my heart really went out to him and I feel he truly wanted to lose weight.  I hope he is doing well and working hard.  It is a tough challenge, but worth it in the end.

First | Prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next Page | Last Page