Message Boards

Topic : 01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:18:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

The Doctors are in the house! Dr. Phil’s team of medical experts, including OB-GYN Lisa Masterson, family therapist Dr. Tara Fields, pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears, plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon, and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork, come together to address some weighty topics. How many times have you tried to shed pounds but failed? Obesity in America is one of the fastest-growing epidemics. First, meet Kevin, a father and husband who weighs over 700 pounds and spends 95 percent of his day in bed. Cameras follow him on his first-ever plane trip, and you won’t believe what it takes to get a man of his size to the Dr. Phil studios. Will the journey pay off, or is this self-proclaimed food addict beyond help? Then, Alfreda was at one time considered obese at 350 pounds, but after bariatric surgery, she now weighs 175. Instead of feeling overjoyed at her dramatic weight loss, Alfreda struggles with rolls and rolls of extra skin. Can she get the body she wants by going under the knife? The Doctors speak candidly on these stories and the top health news of the day. Get in on the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 29, 2008, 4:53 pm CST

01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Quote From: mommy2nicholas

Amen!!

Well good for you....

he has a problem and I applaud him for asking for help....

you should never criticise someone for admitting there is a problem and standing up and asking for help........

January 29, 2008, 4:54 pm CST

Disabilities and weight issues

What a powerful show.  Powerful and heart wrenching.  I was wondering if anyone else can relate to gaining weight after becoming disabled?  I've been on oxygen for two years now for damage due to toxins on a job 20 years ago.    Since going into a slow respiratory failure any kind of movement has become difficult.  I walk with a wheeled walker because I cannot walk 20 feet without becoming severly fatigued.  I used to be an avid walker, swimmer, ten speeder, dancer.   But those are out of the question now.    I've been on many on-line "breathing" support groups and know I'm not alone.  We are all stuck in this circle of shortness of breath, weight gain, inability to excercise, guilt, resentful and angry MDs, shame and hopelessness.

I was wondering if anyone out there has been able to come up with an excercise regime while on supplemental oxygen?  Medicare doesn't cover pulmonary rehab & my disability income does not  leave room for a personal trainer.  LOL!  

Thank you for any feed back you can give.  Peace, Makezmuzic

January 29, 2008, 4:54 pm CST

Quote From: misslynnlv

I was watching the Tues, 01/29/08 show about gastric bypass surgery.  When I was 30,  I had a full bypass surgery. That was a little over 4 years ago.  On paper, I guess you could say it was a success.   I lost 125 lbs.  However,  I have had numerous problems, including additional surgeries to repair complications, one of which nearly killed me. 

I still have excess skin, probably about 20 lbs, which I would like to have removed, but due to the costs of the complications, I am unable to proceed with that right now.

I am really writing this because of a bigger issue.  I truly believe that the root of most peoples weight problems is more psychological.  I believe I had a true addiction to food.  The reason I believe this to be true is due to my latest ordeal. 

About a year after my bypass, I had to have orthopedic surgery which left me on morphine pain killers.  I became extremely addicted to the pain medications given to me and was in active addiction for nearly 3 years.  I hit a rock bottom, lost over $20,000 buying prescription pain killers to feed my addiction.

I did get help in a medical detox and am continuing with intensive out-patient sessions.  I have  been clean for 55 days now. 

During my group and one-on-one sessions, I have learned that I traded one addiction (food) for another (prescription pain killers) when the gastric bypass left me physically unable to feed my primary addiction. 

I just wish I could get my story out to people who are considering the gastric bypass.  I also wish I had been given better direction from my medical doctor in dealing with a true addiction rather than put on a conveyor belt and shuffled through the bypass surgery with no aftercare. 

Had I known then what I know now, I may have not had the surgery.  Or, at the very least, I would have had more aftercare to prevent going back into an active addiction. 

Thanks for listening. 

I know things have really been tough for you, and I give you credit for taking steps for recognizing and dealing with your addictions.  Too many people don't...so give yourself a pat on the back.

I have a site called "NONONSENSEGRAMMYTREE.BLOGSPOT.COM....maybe you might find some insight and encouragement there. I have written many articles about parenting and grandparenting...but, that's not all......there are articles about affirmation and encouragement, too.

At any rate...good luck, and keep up the good work!! God bless!! 

January 29, 2008, 4:59 pm CST

Someone is giving him some BAD advice......

While listening to Kevin's story and seeing him upset and with tears, I did feel bad and my heart hurt for him and his family.  ALTHOUGH, I have to say that I am more that a little upset that he mentioned after hearing Dr. Phil's plan that included touching surfaces more than just his weight that he has been told the only way to resolve this is by Gastric Bypass and he ACTUALLY believes this!  Unfortunately, shame on the people who told him this was the only way he would lose weight!  I only know one person in my life that has had this procedure done but I do know that the work that was put into maintaining the weight loss was very great, both physically and mentally!!  I use to watch this man at 455 pounds eat 30 chicken wings for a snack to not even being able to eat 4 without feeling sick to his stomach.  I know that seems like a small price to pay for a greater chance at life and a healthier living but has to be tough when his main reason for gaining the weight(food) is now something he forever desires but has chosen to go down a different path to ensure his being around for his family.  There is alot that goes with a major surgery like this!  I am also upset that he said he has no life and it only consisted of his bed and his bedroom.  Excuse me!? He has a wife (who obvioulsy shares some of his eating habits) and a son for gosh sakes!!  What about them!?  I would say that they play a major role in his life and he never even mentioned them.  She washes him, feeds him and lord knows what else she has to do because of his weight and the fact that he has given up.   When you go through surgery, whatever it may be,you don't just go in, get out and your all  better.  It takes time and work in regards to your body and your mind. I really hope he takes Dr. Phil's plan of caring and sharing his reasourses serioulsy and I hope I see him on an update show happy and healthy, whatever his weight might be at that time.  Everything in life takes effort, no genie bottle to rub mister!!

January 29, 2008, 5:01 pm CST

THANK YOU Dr. Phil!

Dr. Phil and staff,

I'm so glad I watched the show today... although I tape it and watch it every day sooner or later.  LOL

THANK YOU BUNCHES for addressing the growing issue of morbid obesity in our country.  Those who do not suffer are fast becoming a minority and I believe we will see tremendous growth in the arena of Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) in the near future.  I have seen other shows where the issue was made to appear something that it is not and the parts of the show today that addressed WLS were the most accurate I have seen.  The public needs MORE of this kind of information! 

And thank you also, for stressing that this is NO EASY WAY OUT!  WLS is an elective surgery.  I, along with my family, had to discuss the fear of my dying during surgery, so I'm not seeing anything so "easy" about that.  I had a Will, POA and Medical POA done 2 weeks before my surgery (things I should have already had in place), "just in case."  My sister and I CRIED together the night before surgery because she said "I'm not ready for you to leave me yet."  I assured her I wasn't going anywhere with a brave face masking sheer terror of surgery.

I have suffered most of my life from obesity.  God, I hate the sound of that word.  I remember as a little girl when my mama would take me shopping and try to find the "chubby" department in department stores for little children.  Even then, it was humiliating.  Once I decided to research surgery, I realized, although I already "knew" it in my heart, that I was MORBIDLY obese.  Now THERE is a horrid name for a disease!  And that's what it is, a DISEASE. 

I am one of the lucky ones who has insurance that does not exclude WLS.  I do hope for and look forward to the day when insurance companies see the medical need to also follow through with treatment of this disease by covering the much needed plastic surgery for removal of excess skin.  Some folks develop life-threatening rashes and other complications from those, and I would like to say a GIGANTIC thanks to you for offering to take care of that for Alfreda.  She's a lucky gal for that and I'm so happy for her.  For those like myself, we find ourselves having made the lifestyle changes necessary to be successful with our surgery, but are faced with all the excess skin and how to be rid of that!  I just keep praying that once I have met my goal and am at that point, there will be an answer for me and I'll find the thousands of dollars needed... but may find myself mortgaging my home to do it.

I haven't won the war just yet, just a battle at the time, but on my 3 month "surgiversary" last week, I had lost SEVENTY pounds.  I want to shout it from rooftops.  I can hardly believe it.  I tried every "DIEt" and weight loss program out there... and yeah, I would lose, but "it" always came right back and brought a few extra "friends" along.  But now, I go to the YMCA at least 3 times a week to swim and even have a Personal Fitness Trainer.  That even makes me chuckle, because a year ago or less, the very idea of such a thing would have been ridiculous to me and something I'd NEVER considered doing.  I walk multiple miles each week too... and to keep exercise FUN, I even get out my tap shoes and tap away on the patio or even on the living room carpet when it's cold outside.  I can now play and frolic with my little 3 year old nephew who was a BIG inspiration for me to lose the lard and get healthy... and that's what it is all about.  It's not about getting "skinny" but getting fit and healthy.  I'll never be skinny... never have been.  But by summertime, I'm going to be chasing that little fellow around instead of waddling... and not need to gasp for air while doing it!!  Actually, I'm already doing that NOW.

Like Alfreda said today, Weight Loss Surgery is a TOOL.  It is not a magic pill and anyone who treats it that way is destined to fail.  It got me jump started so that I am able (and willing) to put other tools into place that will make me a SUCCESS!  There are plenty of folks who gain back all their weight (and then some), but this gal ain't gonna be on that team.  The psychological tool is perhaps THE most important one, and so many folks overlook that.  I wish more docs would realize how VITAL that is, particularly post-op.  From my total non-professional perspective on the show today, I believe Kevin will only be a success with a LOT of that particular tool!

I'm a LOSER... on the LOSER'S BENCH and proud to be there!  I am LIVING LIFE every minute of every day and  I hope that in my journey I can be an inspiration to many others.  For those out there contemplating WLS, do your homework.  There are lots of online places to get active and ask questions.  And there are lots of folks out here like me ready to support you along your journey!  It's a process, and even if you decide it's for you, it takes MONTHS and MONTHS to get to a surgery date.  It took me 8 longggg months from decision time to surgery day.  There IS a light at the end of this fat tunnel and I'm staring it straight on.  I've got my sunglasses on so bring it on!  I hit the Big 5-0 this summer, and I'm so excited about that and life there are no words to 'splain it!! 

Again, THANKS for covering this topic today. Please do more in the future!  I pray that  Kevin will make it, but I'm not sure we saw the determination and fortitude it will take from him today.  On that, I hope I am very wrong!  There are SO many folks out there who DO have that and wishing that it had been them you chose to help.  I pray for Alfreda also, that she will pass her screening tests with flying colors so that she can take you up on that generous and kind offer of excess skin removal. 

Blessings Dr. Phil...

Wendy in North Carolina!

Minus 70 lbs, half a butt, a couple of chins... and counting!!!

January 29, 2008, 5:04 pm CST

P.S.

I forgot to mention that I feel like he went on the show after being denied surgery by 7 different doctors that Dr. Phil was going to magically have standing by a doctor who just "happened" to do surgeries on 700 pound people and grant him his wish.  Wishful thinking!!  Dr. Phil does more than that. He is mind, body, and spirit.  Maybe not in that order but he's no stupid man!

January 29, 2008, 5:11 pm CST

Quote From: dkonley

The man hasen't worked for 5 years, is he on welfare? If so how does he buy the foods he gorges on? Most of them are not available with welfare stamps.
He said he is not working because he became disabled. If he has worked all his life then he is eligible for DISABILITY. Ever hear of that?

January 29, 2008, 5:11 pm CST

Quote From: emmana

I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO GET THIS MESSAGE TO DR. PHIL AND TO HIS CHRONICALLY OBESE GUEST, KEVIN,  AND HIS WIFE....AND TO ANYONE ELSE SUFFERING IN SUCH A WAY.  CHRONIC OBESITY IS MALNUTRITION...THAT IS BAD NUTRITION...BAD EATING...AND PARASITES ARE A MAJOR REASON FOR THIS.  PARASITES ARE ALL OVET THE GLOBE...YES ...EVEN IN N. AMERICA. THEY ARE IN THE AIR, WATER, FOOD, EACH OTHER, PETS, WILDLIFE, THE POO YOU STEPPED IN ON THE SIDEWALK AND TRACKED INTO YOUR HOUSE, VEGGIES, MEATS, FAMILY...THEY ARE EVERYWHERE...YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TRAVEL TO PICK THESE UP.  PLEASE READ THIS AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY.

mY heart goes out to Kevin.  He admits to having a serious food addiction  and that he wants to live.  How to write this simply and informatively...this is the challenge.  I was 54 years of age, had to quit work due to foggy brain, rheumatoid arthritis and associated complications of mellitus (diabetes II).  I took insulin several times a day and would have to refer myself as an insulin junkie at the time. I had lost my way...was crippled, unable to think and maniacally eating junk foods...which was not normal for me before 50 years of age.  I lay on the couch dying, depressed, feeling trapped with my 5'4" frame swollen to almost 200 pounds. I knew I was dying and didn't have the wherewithall to deal with it and was unaware of the toll it was taking on my husband to watch me like this.  To speed this up I will just say that in April, 2006, I was actually seeing sparkling lights when I chose to live and speed-dialed a friend who is a Dr. of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Naturopathy.  She also operates the EPFX-SCIO biofeedback device which she brought to our home to help me.  Look up this device on the internet...it is amazing.  I remember them coming in then everything went blank.  With this device, which was used to start detoxing me on the spot, I was able to retain life. She put me on a rigid detox diet of raw veggies, raw fruits (eaten separately), supplements, life regenerating green  drink, liquid minerals (PMH marine plasma) and when I was well enough 3 parasite cleanses back to back.  Parasites are everywhere and anyone who does not do cleanses has them..even you.  she didn't tell me until over a year later that I had 2 tapeworms, liver and pancreas flukes (which promoted diabetes) and infestation of other varieties.  When she arrived the fungus levels of my body were 78%!! and oxygen exchange at 64%,  She was amazed I was still alive, as she told me much later.  The parasites excrete acids as a waste product, fungus and parasites thrive in an acid body so they prospered and I went into diabetic acidosis and crippling rhrumatoid arthritis.  The parasites need a heavily acid environment and they crave junk: sugars, meats, greasy foods, additives, chips, dairy, anything to feed them.  I was starving while I mindlessly fed the parasites.  This is the basis for chronic obesity in N. America...of this i am certain.  Kevin says that he is addicted to food...at one point I said to my husband, "I feel like there is a monster in me demanding to be fed".  Well, there was more than one monster.  The parasites live on their hosts...they give nothing back...the 3rd world countries know about this and many do practise de-parasitation. those who don't end up with terrible conditions.  Once the parasites in me were gone so was the compulsion to eat garbage food.  It is almost 2 years later now and I conduct parasite cleanses every 6 months as does my husband.  I am 122 pounds and have been for over a year.  I no longer have diabetes and the rheumatoid arthritis is just about gone.  I follow a very narrow path nutritionally but it is easy without the parasites.  I am nutritonally stable and look about 10 years younger than my 57.5 years even with silver hair.  If Kevin woud change to a detox diet and so about 6-7 parasite cleanses back-to-back I gaurantee that the insane cravings would back off and he would lose 20 to 40 pounds of fluid within the first 2 weeks.  The body does what it can to preserve our lives and to protect the organs from the acid it packs fluid throughout the tissues so the acid will not erode it.  When the body acids are neutralized through proper nutrition the water falls away. It is amazing!! I use an herbal product PARASAVE because the idea is to detoxify the system to promote continued life.  Using drugs, of any kind including aspirin, tylenol, etc. is very acidifying.  I have more info on YouTube under Emmisha.  Look up parasites and diabetes.  I am not promoting any products...just letting you know what worked for me and brought me back a quality life.  Kevin, or anyone else, need not live in such a way...if you consider your self worthy of a quality life then throw out the sugar, coffee, soda, breads, goodies. fried foods, dairy, meats (unless organic) and be kind to yourself and those who love you. 

I'm happy you got to the root of your problem and are better, but this is SCARY:

"she didn't tell me until over a year later that I had 2 tapeworms, liver and pancreas flukes (which promoted diabetes) and infestation of other varieties."

You had/let someone "treat you" who knew for over a YEAR and did not TELL you that you "had 2 tapeworms, liver and pancreas flukes and infestation of other varities?"

Gasp!

January 29, 2008, 5:22 pm CST

Quote From: morris1009

When I watched Kevin on the show today, I felt like I was watching myself up on that screen, just at a later time in my life. I don't weigh over 700 pounds, but at my heaviest I weighed in at 623 pounds. Up until a year ago I worked as a supervisor at a great job. I knew I wasn't in the best of health but my job made me walk alot and I did that with relative ease. It wasn't until after I fell, was deemed disabled, and could no longer fulfill my job expectations that I realized how far along I really was. I spent many weeks recouperating in bed and when I finally got up and around I had the worst pain in my lower back and my knees. Even to this day I don't get around that much. After a long fight with the insurance company and a law suit against them I was finally recently approved for the bypass surgery although, just like Kevin, they want me to loose some weight before I can get it. I have been eating less and doing what little exercise that I can having the physical limitations that I have and I am now down from 623 pounds to 552 pounds the last time that I checked. Hopefully, within the next few months I will be able to have the surgery and have that great tool to help me to get off of my back and back out of my house. Kevin hit it right on the head when he said that he had a bed and a bedroom. Sometimes I feel like this house is my everlasting tomb. Only I am fighting to get out of it... Keep it up Kevin... You spoke for obese people all over america when you went on the Dr. Phil Show. Lots of luck to you brother, and I hope to see you running down the beach sometime soon.

Morris,

Congrats on that weight loss... that's GREAT!  I know it's not easy, but YOU CAN DO IT!  I pray for your success... if you haven't already, go over to www.ObesityHelp.com for support.  There are all sorts of fourms, including one just for men.

January 29, 2008, 5:29 pm CST

I Have heard of Disability

Quote From: housewife52

He said he is not working because he became disabled. If he has worked all his life then he is eligible for DISABILITY. Ever hear of that?
Disabled because of his weight or something else?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last