Message Boards

Topic : 01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:18:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

The Doctors are in the house! Dr. Phil’s team of medical experts, including OB-GYN Lisa Masterson, family therapist Dr. Tara Fields, pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears, plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon, and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork, come together to address some weighty topics. How many times have you tried to shed pounds but failed? Obesity in America is one of the fastest-growing epidemics. First, meet Kevin, a father and husband who weighs over 700 pounds and spends 95 percent of his day in bed. Cameras follow him on his first-ever plane trip, and you won’t believe what it takes to get a man of his size to the Dr. Phil studios. Will the journey pay off, or is this self-proclaimed food addict beyond help? Then, Alfreda was at one time considered obese at 350 pounds, but after bariatric surgery, she now weighs 175. Instead of feeling overjoyed at her dramatic weight loss, Alfreda struggles with rolls and rolls of extra skin. Can she get the body she wants by going under the knife? The Doctors speak candidly on these stories and the top health news of the day. Get in on the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 29, 2008, 5:37 pm CST

01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Quote From: jmetrel

I had a baby eight months ago and am about 15 to 20 pounds overweight still.  I hope to be back into shape by the time summer comes.  Unfortunately where we live it has been abnormally cold this year so getting back into shape has been difficult.  However, when I eat lucky charms at night and have a zinger for lunch that's my fault.  This man while I feel sorry for him I can't really be suprised with his diet.  I hope that they can help him but the main thing is you have to have some self-control.  You can't eat that much and be suprised that you weigh that much. 
I'm unhappy about the way that I look and I will get it off and soon but with a lot of hard work and self-discipline.  I feel sorry for his wife.  I'm not sure that I could do all that she does for her husband.  I hope that he gets things taken care of but I can't say I hold  out much hope.

First of all, Kevin plainly said that he is the weight he is because he eats too much. I HEARD him say that myself. So, why do you say "You can't eat that much and be surprised that you weigh that much"?

Second of all, It's been cold here where I live also, but it doesn't keep ME from exersizing, so why do you say "Unfortunately where we live it has been abnormally cold so getting back into shape has been difficult"?

January 29, 2008, 5:38 pm CST

don't give up

Hello Kevin,

I first want tosay I think you had enormous courage to go to the Dr. Phil show. I am praying for you and your family. I saw how much you want to loose weight, and I know with the toolsthat Dr Phil hasgiven you , you will succeed.

Your story touched me because my husband is about 370lbs. He suffers from high blood pressure and has arthritis in his feet. When he aches I ache for him. My husband and I work for a smorgasbord so I don'at have to tell you how hard it is for him. he admits that he is addicted to food. To his credit he has beeneating more sensible. The one thing my husband has never done is given up. He goes to work everyday even though I know he is in so much pain for his feet. He has determination to to loose this weight. Just like you do.

I know how people can be cruel and judgemental. You just have to have the mind set that those type of people will never change. 

I hope and pray that you have much success with this weight loss. I know you can do this. YOu have a great support system with the Dr. Phil show and with you family.

I look forward to hearing your updates.

God Bless,

Jill

January 29, 2008, 5:41 pm CST

Quote From: gwarrior6

I think lap-band procedure is a better alternative to bypass. It's less invasive, the band can be adjusted, and there are fewer operative and short-term mortality (about 10 times less) than bypass. There's no dumping syndrome and reduced risk of nutritional deficiencies than with bypass.  Here's  a good resource, check it out:

http://lapband.com/lapband/portal.do

Not all folks are candidates for the Band, like me.  That's what I wanted, but due to a hiatal hernia AND the amount of weight I need to lose (about 130ish), 2 different doctors told me I was not a good Band candidate.  Those decisions need to be made with the surgeon after medical history is fully examined.  I personally do not dump after my RNY and my labs are all great!  I don't discourage anyone from researching all options, but just point out that the Band isn't for everybody.

January 29, 2008, 5:41 pm CST

Quote From: blinky224

Disabled because of his weight or something else?
I don't remember him saying why he is disabled. He said that he was already over weight when he had to stop working and then gained 75 pounds a year for 5 years and ended up being where he is today.

January 29, 2008, 5:48 pm CST

Excess Skin Removal

Once a person has lost a major amount of sking they need to be able to see the complete them that they have fought to find. Losing half of your body weight is hard and the reward is supposed to be a new you.

Well, someone somehow forgets to tell you that after everyone from the top of government, to family, to your doc has told you you have to lose weight, you will feel bettwer you will look better and you will live longer.

The truth of the matter is that once you lose the weight, you are left with horrible ugly hanging skin allover your bady and although you have been told that you will look great, you look in the mirror and see the fat person now standing there in elepnat skin. It is horrifying and depressing.

I lost 141 pounds. I tried and tried to get the skin removed. I was lied to by the platic surgeon that my insurance wouldn't cover removing the belly skin. What he didn't tell me was that he didn't want to accept my insurnce payment as payment in full. I had to find out from my insurance that if it was called medical necessary, then it was covered. I went back and fought with the doc and he finally did the surgery. However, by that time I was sorely depressed and had last my fight and fallen back into my old eating pattern as I am, like so many, an emotional addictive eater and that was enough to push me back. When the surgery was done, instead of leafing my a smooth waiste, the surgoen left me with these bumps on my waist that looked awful..He removed the pannus in two surgeries and in the first one he left my looking like I had a male scrotum. I had to ask him to fix it in the next surgey, but it still didn't look great. I never came to terms with looking "not quite right" and continued to lose my way. Throw in other life happenings including being one kidney dying and the other being badly impaired, I have gained a whole lot of weight back.

If the government and doctors etc want those of us who are morbidly obese to lose the weight then there should be a great big ole light at the end of the tunnel. There should be a reward for getting healthly. Having the excess skin removed is not cosmetic. It is a necessity to be normal again like all other people. Skin removal, what ever skin needs to be removed and whatever else needs to be done when the removal is done, should be covered ny insurance. Plain and simple. You can lose all the weight you want to, but without that last step, the final payoff isn't there.

January 29, 2008, 5:50 pm CST

Quote From: mommy2nicholas

They said this man has been severely overweight for over 25 years. At what point do you acknowledge there is a serious problem and address it? 400 lbs? 500? 600? Really?? It took this long to realize there was a problem? And to the wife- I'm torn on my feelings. Part of me thinks you must REALLY love him to take care of him the way you have to. BUT, part of me was yelling at the TV "STOP FEEDING HIM THAT CRAP!!!!"

My dear, I believe we can all agree that Kevin indeed , acknowledged that there is a problem today on the show at 700 pounds. Would you have rather he just lay down and died because he didn't acknowledge it at 400?500?600? Isn't it enough to just be glad for him that today he DID come all the way to the DrP show and ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM?

January 29, 2008, 5:55 pm CST

I would like to comment about the beginning of the show when the discussion was about the Quaid twins and the overdose of Heparin. I would like to point out that as a nusrsing student I know that if the nurse would have practiced her 5 rights this would not have happened. She should have checked the drug, the amount, frequency, route, patient at least 3 times prior to giving the med. This is why nursed should not get in a hurry and do what they were taught instead of short cuts. The nurse in this case is leaglly responsible for what happened.

January 29, 2008, 5:57 pm CST

My thoughts ...

I just finished watching this program and would like to share with those that are considering intestinal by-pass surgery that the recommendations you heard about thoroughly researching out your doctor and your options before proceeding are so very very true.  By-pass surgery is not simply a quick, easy fix.  Allow me to share my story.

I lost 165 pounds following my surgery.  Yes, I had the hanging skin, an abdomen full of hernias ... but even worse, I looked and felt very ill.  My bowel movements never did stabilize.  Eight years following the surgery I was still having 15-20 watery movements a day.  My liver was not doing well at all and we finally concluded that our only option was to re-hook my bowel. 

I had to fight with the new surgeon who demanded that he staple my stomache at the same time.  Instead of saying to me "Let's get you working with a Nutritionist", his argument was that I would just put the weight back on again."  I was tired of being a surgeon's guinea pig and won the battle.  The re-hook was done and I ended my starvation.

But you know what?  Turns out I was the lucky one.  A week after my initial by-pass surgery, my dear dear friend (who was also overweight) was so jealous that she went to my doctor and set up her own surgery.  I remember talking to her one evening on the telephone two days after her surgery.  Suddenly she screamed in pain.  I asked "What just happened?"  She said "I have no idea but the pain went away."  She refused to tell anyone.  It turned out the bowel had ruptured and filled her body cavity.  Paretinitis set in and it took her four agonizing weeks in intensive care and two heart shut downs before she finally died.

I am not saying that there are not capable doctors out there ... nor am I saying that there are not circumstances when intestinal by-pass surgery is the last option.  What I am saying is think long and hard and use every ounce of honesty you need with yourself.

January 29, 2008, 5:58 pm CST

Quote From: piglet64

When you lay around eating moon pies and items that are unhealthy it no wonder you put on more weight. You could do exercises in bed,cut back on food.I have a hard time feeling sorry for him when he wont help himself.
There's no point in dwelling how he got to this point. He says he knows he got to this point by eating too much. He's trying to help himself. Have a heart and give the guy a break. He's a human being just like you and me. I am not over weight and watch what I eat, but that doesn't mean I don't have compassion and hope for people who do end up with too much weight.

January 29, 2008, 5:59 pm CST

??????????

First of all.....I, too, am considered obese (5'1"/250 lbs) and have been told by at least 2 doctors that I should look into gastric bypass (both told me the "lapband" procedure was more popular in Europe and NOT as effective as gastric bypass!!).  I have looked into it, gone to a seminar and talked with a surgeon. I'm still NOT convinced.  I don't feel I have an addiction to food (I don't eat but 1-2X a day and no where near the amount of food Kevin eats!).......but I do know what I like to eat and it's mostly the food that TASTES good, not that usual "healthy" stuff they promote!  I'm not stupid....I know the GOOD stuff is fattening. I don't eat it all day long, but neither do I eat very healthful the rest of the time. I have diabetes; I still eat sweets which I know is a "no-no".....altho to be honest, you can have some, just not a diet-ful!!

I'm smart enough to know that I have a lot of "attitudes" about food, etc. to overcome before attempting this kind of surgery. It's not like quitting smoking.....you don't HAVE to have a cigarette to live. FOOD you HAVE to have to live. And it seems like just about every type of gathering (birthday, celebrations, Xmas, etc.) revolves around food (at least at my house!)  I lost about 35 lbs last year (health reasons) and have hanging skin from that.............I KNOW losing 100 more lbs. would create a WHOLE other problem with lots more hanging skin.....and I don't think you can just "tuck" it away in your clothes and still look good!!! Plus the added weight you're carrying around that's just hanging off of you.......don't think that would help my self-esteem much!!!! 

I'm on Medicaid (because of disability), which I think WILL cover the surgery, however, it WILL NOT cover the plastic surgery of "skin removal" later on.  Obviously, I DO NOT have the means to "save up" for it or pay "out of pocket".  I have several personal & health reasons WHY I need to get this done.....but, again.   I have fibromyalgia along with arthritis which causes me a lot of pain....it's not going to go away.....and many forms of exercise just make the pain worse. Yes, the arthritis can be better with weight loss, but the fibro is a different kind of pain and the kind of exercise needed to help reduce the skin sagging, etc. is intensive, too intensive....so that is another reason I have held off.

I do agree, however, that in Kevin's case, his family has NOT BEEN helpful with his condition. If the wrong food isn't in the house, she can't serve it to him, can she???  I don't know whether or not she works, whether they are on welfare (which really doesn't pay much) or how they get their money.....they have to support the son too, don't they??

Lastly........I would think everyone knows by now that Dr. Phil is a great guy and all most people have to do is contact him about their problem(s) and he'll try and help....it's what he does......but sometimes I think people just take advantage of that. I hope Kevin doesn't.....I hope he (and his wife) can use the help and work towards helping him regain some sort of life........if he is disabled, I hope he can find something to do so that he doesn't fall back into the "old lifestyle".   I'M DONE!!!!

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last