Message Boards

Topic : 01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:18:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

The Doctors are in the house! Dr. Phil’s team of medical experts, including OB-GYN Lisa Masterson, family therapist Dr. Tara Fields, pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears, plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon, and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork, come together to address some weighty topics. How many times have you tried to shed pounds but failed? Obesity in America is one of the fastest-growing epidemics. First, meet Kevin, a father and husband who weighs over 700 pounds and spends 95 percent of his day in bed. Cameras follow him on his first-ever plane trip, and you won’t believe what it takes to get a man of his size to the Dr. Phil studios. Will the journey pay off, or is this self-proclaimed food addict beyond help? Then, Alfreda was at one time considered obese at 350 pounds, but after bariatric surgery, she now weighs 175. Instead of feeling overjoyed at her dramatic weight loss, Alfreda struggles with rolls and rolls of extra skin. Can she get the body she wants by going under the knife? The Doctors speak candidly on these stories and the top health news of the day. Get in on the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 29, 2008, 6:04 pm CST

"Lifestyle Choice"? ? ?

How come when a person starves themselves to death it's an illness but when a person eats themselves to death it's a "life style" choice?  Suicide is suicide isn't it?  Why does the girl who is wasting away get compassion while the overeater gets berated?

I don't mean to rant but I don't understand this.  I am person doing battle with my weight  --fighting for my life I am!!  --with limited sucess and more oft then not the disappointment and dread of being overtaken by my weight once again. I once had a body to die for, was athletic; rode a bicycle 10 miles to work and back home again.  I was on my feet all day and people were always telling me to slow down.  Oh, how things have changed.  About 12 years ago I got a desk job, and started to put on weight.  The girls in my office at the time were all doing the cabbage soup diet , and I joined in to take off the extra 20 pounds I had newly aquired.  Of course I took off the weight and immediately gained it back and an extra 10 pounds.  It never occurred to me then that that diet would be the beginning of an incredible journey into the hell that is obesity.  I mean --Kevin is eating 5000 calories a day --don't you think he's sitting there wondering "why am I doing this?" or "I know this is killing me so why can't i stop?"  I know when I binge eat I certainly have these thoughts and more.  It's slow suicide, and I feel it happening with every mouthful.  Now what kind of sane person would choose that?

The last 12 years I have spent trying to figure out if I was eating too much carbs, or should I do low carbs or high protein, eat 6 times a day or 3, on and on until I just wanted to scream with fustration, and became so dietetically confused that I no longer believed what ANYONE said about diet -- I guess I finally figured out that diet wasn't gonna get it.  I decided to limit my calories to 1200 this past summer.  Unfortunately since making this decision my weight has skyrocketed  to the tune of 65 lbs.  So limiting calories isn't enough.  I realized recently that I need to EXERCISE, and about two weeks ago I started to walk.  I do 2 miles in the morning with Leslie Sansone and 1.5 miles at night with my schitzu.  It causes me great pain to do this exercise and on weekends I rest but maintain my caloric limits.  But for the last two weekends I have gained 10 lbs each weekend.  I don't understand.  I am trying so hard.  I am desparate and I want my life back!!  This is no lifestyle choice.  This is no lifestyle choice.  So have some compassion for the fat guy.  There but for the grace of God... 

January 29, 2008, 6:28 pm CST

Check MD on line

Did anyone get the web site that Dr. Phil gave to check on your doctor.  He said it really fast and I didn't get it.  I checked his web site also and can't find it.

Thank you,

Vicki

January 29, 2008, 6:29 pm CST

LIFE CHANGES!!!

HELL MY NAME IS SUSAN I JUST FINISHED WATCHING DR PHILS SHOW ON KEVIN AND THOUGH I DONT AGREE WITH THE WAY HIS WIFE WAS MAKING EXCUESS OF WHY SHE WAS GIVING HIM ALL THE 5000 CALS A DAY  THEY BOTH NEED TO FIX THE PROBLEM TOGETHER..... I KNOW WHAT HE IS GOING THROUGH AUGUST 25 2005 4:00 AM I WEIGHED 357# NOW TODAY I WEIGH #165 I AM 5' 7  I HAD GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY AFTER 2 YEARS OF RESEARCH AND MY MOM SAYING SHE DIDNT SUPPORT IT I FINALLY GAVE HER ALL THE DOCUMENTS ON THE DR I WAS GOING TO  HAVE DO MY SURGERY AND TOLD HER WITH OR WITHOUT HER I WAS HAVING IT DONE BECAUSE I WAS AT A POINT IN MY LIFE I COULD HARDLY WALK OR STAND FOR ANY LENGHT OF TIME I COULDNT ENJOY MY KIDS OR MY GRANDKIDS I WAS ALWAYS  TO TIRED. NOW ALMOST 3 YRS LATER  I AM ENJOYING LIFE AGAIN DID THE SURGERY CHANGE MY LIFE  YES IN ALOT OF WAS   I CAN NOW WALK 2 MILES IN 30MINS JUMP ON A TRAMPOLINE PLAY SOCCER WITH MY SON  RUN WITH MY GRANDKIDS AND ENJOY THEM THAT IS ONLY PART OF THE GOOD THINGS..... THERE OF COURSE ARE THE BAD ONES MY HUSBAND LEFT ME OF 14YRS , I HAVE NO BOOBS ANYMORE AND MY ARMS FLAP WHEN I JUMP ON THE TRAMPOLINE HAS IT KILLED ME NO I AM A SURVIOUR, MY WEIGHT WOULD HAVE KILLED ME.. SO KEVIN DR PHIL IS GIVING YOU AND YOUR WIFE THE ABILITY TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE GRAB HOLD AND CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS  AND HANG IN THERE   LIFE IS WORTH LIVING FOR.....

January 29, 2008, 6:32 pm CST

Pissed off at today's show.

So I get to be paralyzed from the waist down since age 12 from some relatively unknown viral illness (Transverse Myelitis) .. which I didn't ask for or anything and there's nothing to fix it.  Still nothing to reverse paralysis since the second World War.  Suffering complications - have a tube sticking out of my chest right now.  Will more than likely die from infection from a pressure sore.

Kevin eats himself to death's door and everyone on the show is supportive and trying to help him.  Poor, poor Kevin.  Awwww.

I'd say some priorities are mixed up in North America.  How good for Kevin that he has a way out.

January 29, 2008, 6:33 pm CST

01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Quote From: auntdeedee

Not all folks are candidates for the Band, like me.  That's what I wanted, but due to a hiatal hernia AND the amount of weight I need to lose (about 130ish), 2 different doctors told me I was not a good Band candidate.  Those decisions need to be made with the surgeon after medical history is fully examined.  I personally do not dump after my RNY and my labs are all great!  I don't discourage anyone from researching all options, but just point out that the Band isn't for everybody.
GOOD FOR YOU I HAVE LOST 200+ #S FROM GASTRIC BYPASS FOR ME IT WAS THE ONLY OPTION BECAUSE I KNEW ME AND I COULD SABATOUDGE THE BAND

January 29, 2008, 6:52 pm CST

Quote From: northernjoy

I just finished watching this program and would like to share with those that are considering intestinal by-pass surgery that the recommendations you heard about thoroughly researching out your doctor and your options before proceeding are so very very true.  By-pass surgery is not simply a quick, easy fix.  Allow me to share my story.

I lost 165 pounds following my surgery.  Yes, I had the hanging skin, an abdomen full of hernias ... but even worse, I looked and felt very ill.  My bowel movements never did stabilize.  Eight years following the surgery I was still having 15-20 watery movements a day.  My liver was not doing well at all and we finally concluded that our only option was to re-hook my bowel. 

I had to fight with the new surgeon who demanded that he staple my stomache at the same time.  Instead of saying to me "Let's get you working with a Nutritionist", his argument was that I would just put the weight back on again."  I was tired of being a surgeon's guinea pig and won the battle.  The re-hook was done and I ended my starvation.

But you know what?  Turns out I was the lucky one.  A week after my initial by-pass surgery, my dear dear friend (who was also overweight) was so jealous that she went to my doctor and set up her own surgery.  I remember talking to her one evening on the telephone two days after her surgery.  Suddenly she screamed in pain.  I asked "What just happened?"  She said "I have no idea but the pain went away."  She refused to tell anyone.  It turned out the bowel had ruptured and filled her body cavity.  Paretinitis set in and it took her four agonizing weeks in intensive care and two heart shut downs before she finally died.

I am not saying that there are not capable doctors out there ... nor am I saying that there are not circumstances when intestinal by-pass surgery is the last option.  What I am saying is think long and hard and use every ounce of honesty you need with yourself.

Wow. How tragic for you and your dear friend.
Thank you for sharing that with us.

If anything is going to make me stop eating compulsively it's your post.

January 29, 2008, 7:10 pm CST

Who was the show dedicated in Memory too?

At the end of the show today it said In Memory Of?
Who was this in memory of?
Kevin is ok isn't he?

January 29, 2008, 7:18 pm CST

Tapeworms...

If the poster truly had tapeworms then she wouldn't have been fat. Tapeworms makes the host lose weight. In fact, in years gone by, there used to be miracle capsules that helped people to lose weight. What the capsules were was the head of a tapeworm in a gelatin capsule. Yep, the person who took the capsule lost weight, but they eventually became quite sick. Tapeworms can kill. I have major doubts about the Chinese cleanseing. Most likely the weight loss was the change of diest to fruits and veggies.

January 29, 2008, 7:25 pm CST

Quote From: lynnifer

So I get to be paralyzed from the waist down since age 12 from some relatively unknown viral illness (Transverse Myelitis) .. which I didn't ask for or anything and there's nothing to fix it.  Still nothing to reverse paralysis since the second World War.  Suffering complications - have a tube sticking out of my chest right now.  Will more than likely die from infection from a pressure sore.

Kevin eats himself to death's door and everyone on the show is supportive and trying to help him.  Poor, poor Kevin.  Awwww.

I'd say some priorities are mixed up in North America.  How good for Kevin that he has a way out.

Shouldn't people who can be helped, be helped? If there was help out there for you and your problem, I would certainly hope that Dr. Phil or someone like him would help you. Don't be bitter and angry towards Kevin because he is lucky enough to be getting help. Be happy for him that he is going to get a chance to live...Hopefully you will make the best of the lot in life that you were dealt and live to the fullest that you can....

January 29, 2008, 7:37 pm CST

Quote From: fadedpinks

How come when a person starves themselves to death it's an illness but when a person eats themselves to death it's a "life style" choice?  Suicide is suicide isn't it?  Why does the girl who is wasting away get compassion while the overeater gets berated?

I don't mean to rant but I don't understand this.  I am person doing battle with my weight  --fighting for my life I am!!  --with limited sucess and more oft then not the disappointment and dread of being overtaken by my weight once again. I once had a body to die for, was athletic; rode a bicycle 10 miles to work and back home again.  I was on my feet all day and people were always telling me to slow down.  Oh, how things have changed.  About 12 years ago I got a desk job, and started to put on weight.  The girls in my office at the time were all doing the cabbage soup diet , and I joined in to take off the extra 20 pounds I had newly aquired.  Of course I took off the weight and immediately gained it back and an extra 10 pounds.  It never occurred to me then that that diet would be the beginning of an incredible journey into the hell that is obesity.  I mean --Kevin is eating 5000 calories a day --don't you think he's sitting there wondering "why am I doing this?" or "I know this is killing me so why can't i stop?"  I know when I binge eat I certainly have these thoughts and more.  It's slow suicide, and I feel it happening with every mouthful.  Now what kind of sane person would choose that?

The last 12 years I have spent trying to figure out if I was eating too much carbs, or should I do low carbs or high protein, eat 6 times a day or 3, on and on until I just wanted to scream with fustration, and became so dietetically confused that I no longer believed what ANYONE said about diet -- I guess I finally figured out that diet wasn't gonna get it.  I decided to limit my calories to 1200 this past summer.  Unfortunately since making this decision my weight has skyrocketed  to the tune of 65 lbs.  So limiting calories isn't enough.  I realized recently that I need to EXERCISE, and about two weeks ago I started to walk.  I do 2 miles in the morning with Leslie Sansone and 1.5 miles at night with my schitzu.  It causes me great pain to do this exercise and on weekends I rest but maintain my caloric limits.  But for the last two weekends I have gained 10 lbs each weekend.  I don't understand.  I am trying so hard.  I am desparate and I want my life back!!  This is no lifestyle choice.  This is no lifestyle choice.  So have some compassion for the fat guy.  There but for the grace of God... 

Get yourself to a doctor, preferable a bariatric doctor, and get a complete worrk up. There are medical conditions that will make you gain.

One things you should know...you should be eating at least three times a day. You should not skip lunch and breakfast and then eat all your calories at night. This is actually the way sumo wrestlers gain weight. Don't eat after say 7 or 8 at night. Drink plenty of water. I am sure you know these things. Most important, get a full medical workup.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last