Message Boards

Topic : 01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:18:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

The Doctors are in the house! Dr. Phil’s team of medical experts, including OB-GYN Lisa Masterson, family therapist Dr. Tara Fields, pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears, plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon, and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork, come together to address some weighty topics. How many times have you tried to shed pounds but failed? Obesity in America is one of the fastest-growing epidemics. First, meet Kevin, a father and husband who weighs over 700 pounds and spends 95 percent of his day in bed. Cameras follow him on his first-ever plane trip, and you won’t believe what it takes to get a man of his size to the Dr. Phil studios. Will the journey pay off, or is this self-proclaimed food addict beyond help? Then, Alfreda was at one time considered obese at 350 pounds, but after bariatric surgery, she now weighs 175. Instead of feeling overjoyed at her dramatic weight loss, Alfreda struggles with rolls and rolls of extra skin. Can she get the body she wants by going under the knife? The Doctors speak candidly on these stories and the top health news of the day. Get in on the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 26, 2008, 11:27 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Doctors Extreme Phil The Weight With. I hope that it is donot apply to me. See you on Tuesday Janurary----

29th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 27, 2008, 6:11 pm CST

Changes With Massive Weight Loss

I'm a 42 year old divorced woman who has one adult son.  I began my journey in losing over 170 pounds in the past 16 months.  I've gone from a woman who had to buy all my clothes from the internet and online clothing stores because even Lane Bryant's sizes were much too small for me, to a woman who is now buying clothes in the Misses department at Kohl's, Belk's and "normal" department stores.  It's been an amazing transformation. 

I've gone from being a morbidly obese woman who has heard all my life "what a pretty face I have", to being a woman who actually manages to turn a few heads.  I've lost weight by sheer will, changing my life-style when it comes to food and how I view it, and exercising.  I now view food as a source of fuel to survive, as opposed to a source of comfort or the center of entertainment.  Exercising is not my  favorite thing, but once I put my little Reeboks on, my workout clothes, and hit the ground doing nothing less than 2 miles a day it's a GREAT feeling.  Less than two years ago I had to ask a stranger to go get my car in a hospital parking lot because I was unable to walk that far.  My back was so bad from carrying around all that weight.  Now I'm actually jogging and no more back problems. 

Are there issues with hanging skin?  Absolutely!!!!! I had beautiful "basketball legs" when I was younger.  Now the shape is back, but the skin on my upper inner thighs resembles that of an elephant.  My tummy is the same way.  I look in the mirror and am realistic about my progress.  But I'm scared and saddened by the hanging skin.  If I ever get serious with a man again will I be able to let him see me with no clothes on?  I don't know.  The thought is more than horrifying. 

I'm 5'9" and because I am reasonably attractive I do draw a little attention from time to time.  But I can't let anyone get close enough because of my skin.  But there is more to it than that.  There is a huge psychological change that comes with this big change.  I was used to being the wall flower socially when I was heavier.  Now, at 42, I don't know how to handle social settings as well as most people.  I'm certainly not at ease with ever being the center of attention. 

I don't have any answers.  But perhaps someday I'll be able to afford to have the outside fixed, while I continue working on the real part of me that matters, that's on the inside. 

Carla

Little Rock, AR

January 27, 2008, 11:43 pm CST

wheelchair weight

I have fought with weight my whole life (and losing) yes I am an emotional eater.  Stressed? eat Happy? eat? Being in a wheelchair and not able to exercise makes it even harder to lose, but even more important.  In my travels, I notice that many people in wheelchairs are overweight.  I have had success with Weightwatchers, but now at 50, I'm even having trouble with that.  Hmmmmmmm, what to do?

January 28, 2008, 8:01 am CST

740lbs

Yes that is right 17 months ago I weighed in at 740 pounds I was completely bed bound and was on oxygen and I was an insulin dependent diabetic at 41years old I probably was going to be dead inside of a year! I wanted to have gastric bypass and contacted three different surgeons and no one would consider doing the surgery on me one surgeon even told me that if I would loose down to 450 he would do the surgery on me! If I could have lost that much weight I would not need the surgery! but I found a surgeon that would operate on me! Dr Bryne at the Medical University of South Carolina and I was operated on on Aug 30 2006 and my weight is now down to 390 pounds so I have lost 350 pounds and I am able to get around I can now drive again no more oxygen or C pap no more diabetes meds of any kind and I'm doing great I feel that I have a new life now I still have a large hernia and a lot of hanging skin that I have to deal with the doctors want me to loose down to about 350 before I can have the hernia fixed and the skin removed!!  

January 28, 2008, 3:52 pm CST

Surgery is not always the answer

I have read and heard many stories about overweight people who want surgery to loose weight. They think surgery is the miracle that will magically make the weight go away. Surgery is not alwasys the answer, it is only a method to an end. People who want surgery have to fully understand all aspects about this action. I know from experience. I have a loved one who weighed 650 lbs before surgery and was in terrible health. When she collapsed and had to go to the hospital, the doctors finally decided to go ahead with the surgery or she might die. After the surgery she was in the hospital ICU for 3 weeks, then in a hospital room for another 6 weeks. After she was released she was released and went to a care home in a wheel chair. With the help of a personal trainer she is no longer in a wheel chair and lives at home. The problem is she still weighs her original weight. She has not lost any weight because of the surgery. Even after the surgery she still eats as much as she did before the surgery, which is not supposed to happen. People need to realize that diet and exercise is as much a part of loosing weight as the surgery is. Anyone expecting to have the surgery and loose the weight without doing anything else or making any other changes is only fooling themselves. I admire everyone who makes the effort and looses the weight, that shows the desire and comittment to do what is necessary. For those who do not, I already know the results.

January 28, 2008, 4:00 pm CST

Extreme Weight

Quote From: flopeyeman

Yes that is right 17 months ago I weighed in at 740 pounds I was completely bed bound and was on oxygen and I was an insulin dependent diabetic at 41years old I probably was going to be dead inside of a year! I wanted to have gastric bypass and contacted three different surgeons and no one would consider doing the surgery on me one surgeon even told me that if I would loose down to 450 he would do the surgery on me! If I could have lost that much weight I would not need the surgery! but I found a surgeon that would operate on me! Dr Bryne at the Medical University of South Carolina and I was operated on on Aug 30 2006 and my weight is now down to 390 pounds so I have lost 350 pounds and I am able to get around I can now drive again no more oxygen or C pap no more diabetes meds of any kind and I'm doing great I feel that I have a new life now I still have a large hernia and a lot of hanging skin that I have to deal with the doctors want me to loose down to about 350 before I can have the hernia fixed and the skin removed!!  
   I think that is great. You hang in there. You are doing something for yourself and those around you to live a very long and happy life. You can get to 350 in no time.

January 28, 2008, 9:15 pm CST

need advice

I am overweight by about 130# I am considering bypass surgery. Does anyone have any negative or positive thougts or feelings to share? I have tried every weight loss system there is. I am able to lose the weight but I always gain it back.

Thanks

January 29, 2008, 6:13 am CST

01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

i would really like to know how this very large man got this way?

i have a niece that married this guy and she had 2 kids and he had 2 kids before this marriage.

my niece was expecting him to work beside her and raise the family together.

WELL, this guy just didn't seem to stay in a job, and finally he just stayed home all day and played games on the tv. like xbox.  (whatever)  my niece was working and trying to get the kids to babysitters or daycare.

he couldn't even watch the kids or clean or wash a dish.  he said he was add or somesuch.  when he was just lazy.  he started to gain weight while playing his games.  and when my niece fianlly sperated from him he weighed like 450 pounds.  that was about 2 years ago.  he still isn't working, but hangs around making my niece miserable, wanting her to take him back with all kinds of promises, like he said he was going to collage over the computer, can you believe that?

oh by the was, i love your show and i never miss a one, if i have to be somewhere, i set the tape recorder to make sure i catch you show.  goodluck and  godbless

January 29, 2008, 6:35 am CST

Lap band

Quote From: tlawson518

I am overweight by about 130# I am considering bypass surgery. Does anyone have any negative or positive thougts or feelings to share? I have tried every weight loss system there is. I am able to lose the weight but I always gain it back.

Thanks

I think lap-band procedure is a better alternative to bypass. It's less invasive, the band can be adjusted, and there are fewer operative and short-term mortality (about 10 times less) than bypass. There's no dumping syndrome and reduced risk of nutritional deficiencies than with bypass.  Here's  a good resource, check it out:

http://lapband.com/lapband/portal.do

January 29, 2008, 6:38 am CST

01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

I think that Kevin may have the feeling of being incarcerated in his own body. I hope he can lose the weight. I have to believe that Kevin has had some help along the way to get this heavy. And I can understand how that happens.

My late MIL was obese(5'2" 275 pounds) She loved sweets and ate them on a daily basis. After 60, she developed diabetes and had to take medication. She still continued to eat her sweets and had trouble with her blood sugar. Then she was diagnosed with Althziemer's. her daughters tried to limit her intake of sweets. My late FIl would sneak them to her and my SILS had to constantly be on guard and intercept them. My poor MIL at one stage of the Althziemers knew they were monitoring her sweets and hid some Polar Bars in her bedroom closet. I tried to talk to my FIL about her eating sweets and her blood sugar and how dangerous it was, and he would just smile and say nothing. He had been married to her at the time for well over 50 years and he just couldn't deny her those sweets.

So sometimes family members are contributing to bad eating habits and can't seem to say no,even in the most dire situations. You know, my FIL died and my SILS took care of thier mother the last 3 years of her life. As the time passed her diabetes improved to where she didn't have to take medication. She also lost about 135 pounds. It's sad to know that these things only happened at the end of her life.   

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last