Message Boards

Topic : 01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:18:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

The Doctors are in the house! Dr. Phil’s team of medical experts, including OB-GYN Lisa Masterson, family therapist Dr. Tara Fields, pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears, plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon, and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork, come together to address some weighty topics. How many times have you tried to shed pounds but failed? Obesity in America is one of the fastest-growing epidemics. First, meet Kevin, a father and husband who weighs over 700 pounds and spends 95 percent of his day in bed. Cameras follow him on his first-ever plane trip, and you won’t believe what it takes to get a man of his size to the Dr. Phil studios. Will the journey pay off, or is this self-proclaimed food addict beyond help? Then, Alfreda was at one time considered obese at 350 pounds, but after bariatric surgery, she now weighs 175. Instead of feeling overjoyed at her dramatic weight loss, Alfreda struggles with rolls and rolls of extra skin. Can she get the body she wants by going under the knife? The Doctors speak candidly on these stories and the top health news of the day. Get in on the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 29, 2008, 6:43 am CST

Enough is enough!

Dr. Phil, why don't you put on stage spouses, like Kevin's who's enabeling his obesity. I am sick and tired of all these huge guys who live in their beds and don't do anything else but eat whatever their "loved" ones bring them. How on earth do they make all the money to buy all the food! Then they complain how huge they are and what people say behind their backs. I would never feed anyobody, especially somebody I love to deatd! What are these enablers thinking!

Cheers!

January 29, 2008, 7:18 am CST

RE: Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Hello my name is Tracy, I once weighed over 300lbs I opt to have  the gastric bypass in 2000, I now weigh around 155lbs. I think that the Gastric bypass is something that should be well researchrd this is a long term, life changing procedure.

I now suffer from anemia, have heart diease, also from food getting lodged in my throat, which constantly made me vomit, this has rotted my teeth.  So having the gastric bypass only brought on a series of other problems, The price we pay to be thin.

I hope that Kevin can find his the inner strength, my email is tbourassa5@yahoo.com Let him know that he has a friend who has been there. I can give him a little insight on the Gsatric bypass. My thoughts are with Kevin, and his family.

January 29, 2008, 7:26 am CST

Question

In regards to Tuesday, January 29th obesity show, what was the diet plan called that he was going to have sent to his house.  I forget.  It was soemthing MD and I would like to research it more.  Thanks!

January 29, 2008, 8:39 am CST

its not easy when your that big

I have worked with people like this guy. I had a 20 year old that weighed over 500lbs. He had to have a treachal tube put in because he was so big he could stop breathing. He had a portion of his brain removed so he never felt satisfied. It was like dealing with a 500 pound 12 year old boy. We watched his diet and stood our ground when he wanted more. I made him excersize. Let's just say it was no picnic. But in the end he lost over 200 pounds and is doing great.

January 29, 2008, 8:42 am CST

Lapband surgery

Dr. Phil,

I believe that anyone that wants to feel better from loosing weight can, if they want too. I have  struggled with weight problems all my life. From the time I was 8 years old until now, in my 50's, I have gone up and down, up and  down! I went to a bariatric doctor locally and found out what they had to offer and decided on  a lapband procedure. Ten days before the procedure I began on a liquid diet (protein drinks, non-sugar drinks like koolaide, crystal light, lots of water, lowfat small curd cottage cheese, no sugar pudding, jello, popsickles and fudge bars). I believe I lost 10 lbs before I had the surgery. I went back to the dr. on 1/15 (surgery was  1/4) and had lost 13 lbs since 12/28! Less than a month, just  from being on a diet that was liquid. I believe the protein supplements were very filling because I really never felt hungrey (ok, a couple of times). The doctor told me that I was doing wonderful, following her directions and she would add saline to the band around my stomache when I came in for my next appointment 2/12.

I had to see a phychologist prior to the surgery because they wanted to  be sure that I wanted the surgery enough to follow the directions of the  dr. He asked me what was the most important thing that I had learned about lapband surgery and I told him that the surgery was a help along the way, but that it was up to me to exercise, eat right and get myself in shape after the  surgery and to change my eating habits all the way around!

The reason that I had the surgery was a result of a stroke in1992. It was a severe stoke and left me in a wheelchair at home and on canes when I walked. My shoulders had started to hurt and I was afraid that I was going to need surgery on them. My knees where always aching but since the time I had turned 50 it had become a struggle to walk. I knew that if I lost the weight my problems would cease or dissipate and I would be a lot better. And I still bellieve it.

I have a long way to go, but I see other people in the support groups that are feeling better a year out, and I know  that I will too! I just  have to say to myself 'pizza or walking' and walking  wins out every time. I was at 256 in November, 2007.  I realize that isn't much to Kevin, but it seemed impossible to me to loose the weight. I was on a diet most of my life and I kept my weight down to 250-270, but as I grew older I was feeling the weight on my arms and legs more and more. I feel for Kevin and everyone out there with a weight problem BUT they can loose the weight if they want to! IF THEY WANT TO! 

I would be willing to be a partner to talk to Kevin when he feels like breaking down and eating, but I BELIEVE that he will make it to a weight that he can LIVE with. I BELIEVE that he can take a walk oiutside and smell the roses! I BELIEVE and I think that Kevin needs to BELIEVE in himself, also!

Have a great day!

Cathy

January 29, 2008, 8:43 am CST

To Kevin-

I was utterly moved by your courage to get to California to be on the show. That, more than anything, demonstrates how motivated you are to change.
When you get down on yourself, and you will, remember what that took. It was painful and it was mortifying, but you did it because you knew that your life was at stake. That my friend is courage. Not everybody in your condition would have done that to get help, but you did. You are now engaged in the fight of your life, stay strong and don't lose courage.

January 29, 2008, 8:47 am CST

To Alfreda-

How inspiriational you are with your willingness to show the not so pleasant side effects of great weight loss. Too many of us hit that point where we feel "what's the use?"

I'm a believer that life is beautiful, and your willingness to bare it all was beautiful.

January 29, 2008, 9:39 am CST

BistroMD

Quote From: stacysogard

In regards to Tuesday, January 29th obesity show, what was the diet plan called that he was going to have sent to his house.  I forget.  It was soemthing MD and I would like to research it more.  Thanks!
I believe they said BistroMD

January 29, 2008, 9:40 am CST

BistroMD

Quote From: stacysogard

I believe they said BistroMD

January 29, 2008, 9:46 am CST

Great Courage

Dear Kevin,

Even though you may not know it, you still have great hope and strength.  You proved that by taking the very difficult trip to LA.  I believe you can do this.  You will lose weight.  I believe in you.  Believe in yourself.  It is time to take back your life, one day at a time.  I will think of your every day and pray for and with you.  Through the darkest of times, just think of something you are going to do when you  complete each little milestone.  I sure hope you read this.  Know you are being thought of and all good thoughts are being sent our way.

One day at a time.  I can't wait to see you in -100 lbs. and -200 lbs. etc. 

Best wishes to you and your family,

Kelly

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last