Message Boards

Topic : 01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:18:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

The Doctors are in the house! Dr. Phil’s team of medical experts, including OB-GYN Lisa Masterson, family therapist Dr. Tara Fields, pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears, plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon, and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork, come together to address some weighty topics. How many times have you tried to shed pounds but failed? Obesity in America is one of the fastest-growing epidemics. First, meet Kevin, a father and husband who weighs over 700 pounds and spends 95 percent of his day in bed. Cameras follow him on his first-ever plane trip, and you won’t believe what it takes to get a man of his size to the Dr. Phil studios. Will the journey pay off, or is this self-proclaimed food addict beyond help? Then, Alfreda was at one time considered obese at 350 pounds, but after bariatric surgery, she now weighs 175. Instead of feeling overjoyed at her dramatic weight loss, Alfreda struggles with rolls and rolls of extra skin. Can she get the body she wants by going under the knife? The Doctors speak candidly on these stories and the top health news of the day. Get in on the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 31, 2008, 2:13 pm CST

Just a little something to remind you

So many people confuse "lose" and "loose" that I though I would post this little reminder. (those two words are used a lot on weight related topics)

Here we go...

When I lose weight, my skin becomes loose.

That's easy for me to remember!

January 31, 2008, 2:15 pm CST

Amen

Quote From: mommy2nicholas

They said this man has been severely overweight for over 25 years. At what point do you acknowledge there is a serious problem and address it? 400 lbs? 500? 600? Really?? It took this long to realize there was a problem? And to the wife- I'm torn on my feelings. Part of me thinks you must REALLY love him to take care of him the way you have to. BUT, part of me was yelling at the TV "STOP FEEDING HIM THAT CRAP!!!!"

Everyone knows  when they start putting on a few pounds.  I can't understand how someone can get this large.  We all love to eat.  I agree with all your statements except the one about how she must really love him.  I disagree there.  She should have loved him enought not to  be an enabler to his glutteny. 

January 31, 2008, 7:49 pm CST

01/29 Extreme Weight with the Doctors

Quote From: dwilkett

the email you gave was for california doctors only. I live in Arkansas and would like to know how to research my doctor here, as well as a doctor in houston, texas.

Thanks

Donna

Just go on Google and type in "research my doctor" and they have some sites where you can get a report about a dr. from any state. The ones I checked out charge a fee for the report.

February 1, 2008, 9:38 am CST

Success is a choice!

I am a 41 year old mother and wife. Another title others might include in my identity is "gastric bypass survivor". I cringe as I type these words, however it is a reality I have learned to accept and how I am perceived by so many of my family, neighbors, strangers and friends.

Gastric Bypass Surgery has turned into more of a health debate and public opionion forum and all those whom worked as hard as I have worked to live a healthier life and making so many better choices in regards to food, nutrition and exercise, have been so forgotten and often NEVER heard. I weighed over 360lbs before my surgery. I was a single mom (abandoned by my partner and father of my oldest child), full time student (second career choice), active community member, full of so much life with so little energy to live the life I have always dreamt about. I am well educated and I never consider myself finished when it comes to learning.

People become over weight for so many reasons, and I can certainly talk about my struggles and reasons, I feel I became so overweight, but I don't feel it will have the same value as expressing my feelings that the negative public debate and public opionion of this surgery is so sad and disheartening. This surgery can help improve anyones  life, that is if you begin and CONTINUE to make better choices in regards to food, stress, relationships, exercise and your spiritual well being.

Today, I simpley pray when I hear someone else say "Your taking the easy way out, by having gastric bypass surgery" I pray they will open their hearts and become educated and understand more about gastric bypass surgery, morbid obesity and food addictions" . Having your stomach cut and resized and under going any surgery is not THE EASY WAY out. And, the lifestyle you MUST COMMITT yourself to living each and everyday, is NOT EASY. It is challenging and it is the hardest thing I have ever done (harder then re-living my traumatic childhood), but you know what "Today I am Successful at almost everything I am choosing to do in life and with my life". I have re-established a healthier relationship with food, with myself, my family and friends and with making the best life choices for myself and now my very own family.

As a former health care professional, I just feel it is so important to let as many people whom will hear and try to understand.."Any surgery comes with risks, some with higher risks than others, and before having any surgery, I feel it is so helpful to determine what life choices you can make to help change your old ways of living. What choices will you make in order to minimize the chances of any risk from taking your life?, as morbid obesity has taken so many lives.'

Accepting any health care for any reason now a days, has turned into a huge shopping ordeal for myself and my family, becasue so many health care professionals have contributed to removing the "CARE" from the health care profession, and receiving health care has resorted to often times being swept away by a really bad shopping experience at an auction.

I pray that those considering gastric bypass surgery become educated with the procedure, get to know your doctor (the one doing the surgery) and take a really good look at your life, and take the time to disect your life. Please, consider how having this surgery will change your life, that is if you choose to succeed or you choose not succeed. With every choice comes responsabilities, and the responsability I recognized before having gastric bypass surgery was my responsability to better manage my life and to change my life, one day at a time, and learn more healthier habits to avoid morbid obesity from keeping me from living the life I had always dreamt about living" God Bless Kevin and all whom face the challenge of weight loss, it is really about how I changed my life before and after I had gastric bypass surgery which lead to my weight loss and the better choices I am making today, which I believe makes me successful in so many ways.

February 1, 2008, 9:55 am CST

Your An Inspiration

Quote From: fluffyfat

170 lbs in 16 months is an awesome achievment! I don't think you should worry too much about the excess skin at this point.

If you're wearing regular Misses clothes then you're looking just fine. When the right man comes along he will be a friend first and by the time you're undressing in front of him you will know that he will be happy with whatever he sees, just because it's you.

Take your time, so that your "inside" has time to adjust to your new "outside."

You do have a very pretty face!
Carla your a true inspiration and so very right about fixing yourself on the inside before worrying about what is outside. I lost over two hundred pounds and most of my excess weight is in my thighs and hips. I wore my first bikini last year and you know what it felt great. On the other hand, I have had difficulties jogging and with embracing my image in the mirror. I feel great on the inside, and I feel so blessed for all that I have changed in my life, but my heart aches when I am faced with the reality that all my hanging excessive skin and visual scars from my past, I must carry around with me each and everyday (good days and bad days), evan as I have adapted and continue to adapt to my much healthier and happier life. I do not know what it is like to have healthy looking legs, except to see them on other woman, but I certainly tell you what it feels like to carry less weight around and how wonderful it has been to know that I can and will always make better life choices. I did plus size modeling and had no problem with my image (so I thought), however my insides felt different than the beauty that was well groomed everyday. Now I look at myself and I am reminded of who I am, whom I have become and whom the person I will become, in the future.

February 1, 2008, 11:24 am CST

Many pounds ago!

Quote From: nousab

It's an addiction and any one who needs it and is ready for it should get help. There is lots of help for people who want to quit smoking (also an addiction). So I ask you, why shouldn't he get help.

He should have gotten help several hundred pounds ago.  I find it hard to sympathize!  How can it get this bad before someone wakes up and realizes they will eat themselves to death.  If you sit in a chair and you butt hangs over on both sides -get help!  If you have to walk sideways to get through a door entry-get help! If you cant't sit in a car and drive yourself somewhere-get help!  These are pretty common sense things.  My question is more in line with " why did you wait so long?"

February 4, 2008, 1:51 pm CST

Excess skin

Quote From: fluffyfat

170 lbs in 16 months is an awesome achievment! I don't think you should worry too much about the excess skin at this point.

If you're wearing regular Misses clothes then you're looking just fine. When the right man comes along he will be a friend first and by the time you're undressing in front of him you will know that he will be happy with whatever he sees, just because it's you.

Take your time, so that your "inside" has time to adjust to your new "outside."

You do have a very pretty face!
 Excess skin became a huge issue for me. I lost 140 lbs in 1 year. I exercised-ate right-got plenty of sleep did total lifestyle change. In 1 year my triglycerides which were off the charts 600+ were now below normal; cholesterol went from 283 to 193. I was feeling better & needed to buy new clothes. But no matter what I did the excess skin around my hips wouldn't go away! I went shopping for pants. My waist was 35" but my hips were 50+". I still had to wear elastic waistband pants to go over my hips. I had to buy dresses 5 times larger to fit over my hips while the rest of the dress hung on me. My misshapened body disgusted me. Plus there were hygiene issues that I hadn't had in the past. It was such a blow to my self-esteem / ego to work so hard, have great health results and feel I looked worse than before I started losing the weight. I have gained alot of the weight back. As Fernando would say on SNL: "It is better to look good than to feel good".  At least when I was fat all over I felt Rubenesque. Not like a creature from Men In Black.

February 5, 2008, 1:38 pm CST

Disappointed with Social Security System

I have a disability and am unable to work.  I have a brain injury,depression and anxiety.   He has said he is unable to work due to his weight. I know he receives Social Security Disability due to his obesity.  I am angry about this because I have  a disability which isn't my fault and am still not getting disability. This guy has done this to himself  and is receivng it because he stuffs his face,go on a diet.  Disability should be given only to people like me,who didn't do this to themselves

February 5, 2008, 7:53 pm CST

Good luck, Kevin!

Just saw the show tonight in re-runs. THANK YOU, Kevin, for taking control of your life. You made a great start and you WILL succeed if you decide the payoff is worth the hard work.

I am 100 lbs overweight and will soon begin a medical weight loss program w/ my doctor. I gained the weight over the course of my marriage (18 years). The extra pounds came on gradually and all of a sudden I looked in the mirror and realized I was FAT. With the fact came breathing probems, knee pain, back pain, a hernia, etc. Although my husband loves me dearly and STILL finds me sexy, I am not happy in my own skin.

Hopefuly I will make the choice to lose the weight and STAY healthy. Hopefully you will, too. Let's do it for our children. We owe it to them to live! We owe it to them to be good, healthy role models! We owe it to them to be able to play with them and go to their special events.

God bless you, Kevin (and your family). YOU CAN DO THIS. I can, too! I'm sending prayers your way.......

February 5, 2008, 8:00 pm CST

You definitely don't get it!

Quote From: steffiev

Everyone knows  when they start putting on a few pounds.  I can't understand how someone can get this large.  We all love to eat.  I agree with all your statements except the one about how she must really love him.  I disagree there.  She should have loved him enought not to  be an enabler to his glutteny. 

She's HUMAN and YES, she loves him.

We all make bad choices when it comes to love ones. I bet you've raised your voice at your children, you've insulted your spouse, you've talked bad about a friend, etc. Does that mean you don't love them? Of course not. It simply means you're HUMAN and you make some bad choices.

Even Dr. Phil acknowledged that it's EASY to be on the outside and call someone an enabler. It's much harder to be the loved one of the person crying, depressed, talking about dying, etc WHILE BEGGING FOR FOOD. Food can be an addiction no different than alcoholism. Look at how many loved ones allow alcohol in their homes even when they're married to or mothering an alchoholic!

People get this LARGE because the pounds come on gradually. And with the pounds come the medical problems (a few at a time) that make exercising difficult. Then the depression (from gaining weight and not being able to exercise) sets in. It's a VICIOUS cycle and a CATCH 22!

Hopefully you understand humans & human frailities more than you appear to NOT understand human nature!

First | Prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last