Message Boards

Topic : 07/31 "Get Rid of It!"

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:19:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/30/08) Is there something you’ve been hanging on to for just a little too long? Clothes you haven’t fit into since high school? Boxes of stuff you haven’t looked at in years? Dr. Phil’s guests say their loved ones need to call the junk yard and “Get rid of it!” Kim says her husband, Paul’s, Star Wars hobby has to go. With over 6,000 pieces in his collection, Paul spends 30 hours a week playing with his action figures, building models and talking to friends about Star Wars. He even included light sabers in their wedding, so shouldn’t Kim have known what she was getting into? Next, Larry and Sheila married four months ago, but Sheila says she had no idea she was getting hitched to a hoarder. Larry says she’s got it all wrong –- she’s the pack rat! With some of their favorite collections rolled out on stage, can Dr. Phil help them negotiate what goes and what stays? Plus, meet Terri, who has four storage units and two garages full of sentimental memories –- like a rubber chicken and her father’s X-rays!  She spends so much money storing her stuff that she can’t even afford health insurance. What’s at the heart of her hoarding? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 2, 2008, 8:40 pm CST

name of book

Quote From: graceandpeace

Did anyone catch the title and author of the book about Transitions - letting go of the past??   and/or  Does anyone know of another really good book about this topic??  Thanks!!
Transpersonal Medicine

“Transpersonal” is defined as some influence from beyond (trans-), such as transcendence and spirituality, or across (trans-) oneself, such as love relationships and healing touch. The book, Transpersonal Medicine, is a presentation of what transpersonal forces have been shown to heal and the mechanisms of how they heal. Experts of the world have contributed their perspectives on the various dimensions.

February 4, 2008, 9:45 pm CST

Dr Lawlis' Book Title

I've looked thru this site and Dr. Lawlis' site for the title of the book that had to do with coping with throwing out the memories.  My dad has passed and Mom has a few more year hopefully.  There is so much stuff that I'm going to have a hard time doing something with.  We will plan an estate sale but that's after I've saved the good stuff.  I'll need help and that book would help.  I have many of his books and tapes.

Thanks,

Molly in So. Calif

February 4, 2008, 11:23 pm CST

To the Star Wars widow on the show

I was watching the show and I wanted to reach through the TV, grab her and scream GET OVER IT!  You knew about his collection (and a very nice one at that) before you two got married and if you didn't then it's your own fault.  I think she is just jealous that he spends more time in the basement then with her.  Maybe if she was a better wife he wouldn't be so bored with her.  Just a thought.............

February 5, 2008, 12:33 pm CST

"Get Rid of It!"

I really don't care how much clutter people have. I save a 'little' too much myself.  The only important message Dr. Phil had on this program was when he asked the question, "Do you have health insurance?" and the answer was 'no'.  Yet, the woman was spending thousands of dollars on storage to save her stuff.  As a taxpayer, I don't want to pay one cent for health insurance for this woman.  Too many people do not spend their money appropriately than expect others to bail them out.  I know that is not what this show was about, but in the end it all boils down learning prudent spending and wise, efficient saving.

February 10, 2008, 2:38 pm CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

Quote From: faeryedark

I so agree with this. I flinch everytime I see a show hwere someone' made to get rid of actual collectibles. So, it's not her tastes or interests, so what? Like yousaid, give him his own space to put his stuff.
Quote From: gwarrior6

My grandmother made my dad throw out his baseball card collection 30-40 years ago that would have been worth a fortune today.

Not really. That's the problem for a lot of hoarders: they think EVERYTHING is worth a fortune today. Baseball cards? Market has collapsed. Too many fakes out there.

My suggestion for any collector is to collect for QUALITY, not QUANTITY. My father is a watchmaker and has no fewer than 10,000 watches and clocks. The problem is that the few GREAT pieces are BURIED in the clutter of the 9,900 watches that are WORTHLESS. Because he doesn't want to sort through his collection, I know what will happen someday: some dealer will come in and buy the whole lot for a fraction of their value.

If you're a collector, HONOR IT. DISPLAY IT. SELL THE CRUMMY PIECES AND FOCUS ON THE FEW . Instead of a storage facility, I suggest a bank safety deposit box for the FEW items worth a LOT.

February 12, 2008, 6:16 am CST

continue your collection

rwoods203-continue your collection!

February 17, 2008, 11:02 am CST

rwoods203

keep up your collection

i have in mint condition still in box. star war action collection Imperial Droid. I also have in box

Star War Lando Calrissian Billy Dee Williams.also star war trilogy scrapbook The Rebel Alliance

If you are interested please contact me. Thank you. Rwoods203 

February 20, 2008, 3:23 pm CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

I've never posted to Dr. Phil, but I knew when this episode came on that I needed to post something, if only to defend the poor Star Wars guy.

First off, this guy has a great collection - it's awesome.  Maybe he needs to limit it a lilttle - put some boundaries on it, like my husband does, because you can't collect everything.  My husband only collects astromechs (which is how we wound up with a full-size R2-D2 in the dining room).  Limits are good.  The fact that he's converted our astromech into a bar is even better! :)

And we all know the collection is valuble - but he does need to remember that the value is only in how much a person is willing to pay for it.  That's why you should only collect what makes you happy - hence the limits.

Now, as for the full-sized trooper armor...I am a normal woman who has a career and is of sound mind and body.  Do I dress up in trooper armor?  No, but I do have an A-Wing pilot costume.  And a GI Joe costume (Lady Jaye, if we are being specific).  And a replica of the red dress worn by Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge.  And tons of other things - and I look pretty damn good it them.  Most of my friends are in the 501st or Rebel Legion (two Star Wars fan costume groups), and ALL of them are sensible, normal, and sucessful people.  And what's more is that they do hospital visits, charity drives, charity runs, hospice visits and all sorts of other fundraising for children who are very ill.

There is nothing like the look the look in a kid's eye when he or she gets to meet Princess Leia or Darth Vader.  A common joke in the 501st is that Vader is like the Elvis of Star Wars to these kids - most of them don't care whose in the room once Vader enters - he is a ROCKSTAR, and the kids love him.

For the opening of SW:Episope 1, my husband's Star Wars garrison raised over  $4,000 in a single night for the Make a Wish Foundation, just by charging $2 for a picture with one of the troopers, jedi, or other characters that our friends were dressed as.  Other  garrisons have done similar things.  When the founder of the 501st's daughter was diagnosed with brain cancer (which she later died of), support came in worldwide for her, and from Lucas and Hasbro themselves. Check out www.heartofanempire.com/Katie/

If the guy on the Dr. Phil show wants to slim down so that he can fit into that trooper armor and join the 501st, I can think of no better fan group for him to join (as well as the benefits of losing weight -c'mon Dr. Phil, this is the guy's currency - you like that, right?) 

As for the wife.  Honey, please - if you didn't know he liked Star Wars to begin with, then you had NO business marrying him in the first place.  You need to respect that armor (or the guy needs to get an armor tub - big tupperware container to put your suit into!)

Although I'll always be a Rebel, I support this (hopefully) new addition to the Troopers!

July 26, 2008, 11:34 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Get It Of Phil Rid. Doctor Phil get rid of repeat aswell. Donot underestermat of what I repeat aswell.-

See you on Thursday July 31st, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------

July 26, 2008, 11:53 am CDT

garbage collectors

I to loved to hang on to things. Every thing meant something to me.

It wasn't till our house burnt down to the ground and every thing was gone

that I realized that they were only things. But I was alive and the memories

were still there. So started a journal.

The junk is only memories in solid form. sell them, take a trip, visit the

long seen family, that will mean more to all.

Once you are gone the ones left will just throw it out or sell it in a garage sale.

First | Prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next | Last