Message Boards

Topic : 07/31 "Get Rid of It!"

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:19:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/30/08) Is there something you’ve been hanging on to for just a little too long? Clothes you haven’t fit into since high school? Boxes of stuff you haven’t looked at in years? Dr. Phil’s guests say their loved ones need to call the junk yard and “Get rid of it!” Kim says her husband, Paul’s, Star Wars hobby has to go. With over 6,000 pieces in his collection, Paul spends 30 hours a week playing with his action figures, building models and talking to friends about Star Wars. He even included light sabers in their wedding, so shouldn’t Kim have known what she was getting into? Next, Larry and Sheila married four months ago, but Sheila says she had no idea she was getting hitched to a hoarder. Larry says she’s got it all wrong –- she’s the pack rat! With some of their favorite collections rolled out on stage, can Dr. Phil help them negotiate what goes and what stays? Plus, meet Terri, who has four storage units and two garages full of sentimental memories –- like a rubber chicken and her father’s X-rays!  She spends so much money storing her stuff that she can’t even afford health insurance. What’s at the heart of her hoarding? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 30, 2008, 3:17 pm CST

quick question...

Mr. Star Wars is bored w/ snuggling w/ his wife, and wants to spend all his time in the basement. Why did he get married? Sheesh.

January 30, 2008, 3:29 pm CST

We're Stuff-a-Holics

I’m in the process of de-cluttering my house.  It’s a lot of work, but well worth it.  It can even be fun and inspirational if you put some thought into how to dispose of items you’re not using.  For instance, after my husband died suddenly, a lot of his clothes went to a young man I worked with who had very little money.  He said when he wore my husband’s overcoat home at Christmas his dad said, “Gee, you have nicer clothes than I do!”  I got a chuckle and a warm memory out of that.  I’ve also recently discovered the Yahoo group freecycle.com.  As Dr. Phil said, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.  I recently gave away a plastic sheep for an outdoor Nativity set, along with unused ceramic tiles and a snow thrower in need of repair.  Things that were just gathering dust at my house are now being put to use by others.

Our culture’s “stuff-a-holism” is costly in ways we seldom see.  For a glimpse into the cycle of “stuff”, visit thestoryofstuff.com.

Great episode, Dr. Phil!

January 30, 2008, 3:34 pm CST

Book???

I can really relate to Terri!  My parents have both passed.  While my mother didn't really keep a lot - LOTS of family pictures and a few antiques which I love.  I am the keeper of the family "stuff" as I have only one sibling and he has no interest in "old stuff".  The problem is I am also a collector - so I have some of my own stuff as well.  Due to a phone call I missed a little of the show - did I hear that Dr. Lawliss had a book about releasing the "stuff"? I don't see it listed - does anyone know the name of the book if there was one?

Thanks!

January 30, 2008, 3:38 pm CST

Pack Rats Think about your loved ones!

I am the daughter of 2 pack rats. Neither one of my parents ever threw anything away in the 30 years they were married. My mom suddenly passed away a couple of years ago and my dad has had to move in with my family. I am their only child. I had the horrible task of cleaning out their 2 story house AND 2 story barn/workshop so I could sell the house. What a nightmare. I seriously had moments where I thought it would be easier to burn it all to the ground rather than have to sort any more stuff. My dad sees use in anything. He can not throw things away even when it is garbage because it could be useful someday. My mom had emotional attachments to stuff. She kept everything from my childhood thinking it would all have meaning to me. It didn't. It took me nearly 2 years of working every weekend I could to get through it all. If it were not for the help of my husband, cousins, aunt and uncle I would still be working on it now. And, that was 2 years of weekends that I had to spend away from my husband and children to clean and sort. The stuff is not worth it. You cannot take it with you. If you are a pack rat think of the people you will leave behind. Think of their time that will be spent cleaning up your mess instead of enjoying their memories of you. Have garage sales, make use of ebay or just donate like crazy, but do yourself and your family a favor and get rid of the stuff. Don't be a burden!

January 30, 2008, 3:41 pm CST

I was upset

I was upset when I saw Dr. Phil, a professional, mocking the first man on who collected Star Wars. He was actually making the man look like an idiot. What is wrong with someone having a collection or a passion. My husband supports me in every venture I have. And vice versa.

I am appalled that a man of Dr. Phil's capabilities would do this to a man.

I understand the man willingly went on the show b t to ridicule him like that...I have lost some respect for Dr. Phil.

Do you not have empathy?

January 30, 2008, 3:51 pm CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

I haven't been a regular Dr Phil watcher lately so it is quite fitting that I watched todays show well shredding a tonne of personal papers I have hung on to too long. As well as doing other possession purging in preparation for moving. I have inspired to push myself to get rid of even more. It would be great if I can get myself and my daughter down to a few truly sentimental items and those things we really do need. Break over time for me to get back to work.

Purging Mumma

January 30, 2008, 3:55 pm CST

Star Wars Museum!!!

Paul should think about opening and running Star Wars memorabilia museum and proudly display his collection. There would definitely be an audience for it, as he is not the only extreme fan - and nowadays in the computer age, it would be easy to advertise among the perfect target audience.

The bonus would be getting a lot of his collection out of the house, freeing up room so that his poor wife doesn't have a Storm Trooper breathing down the back of her neck when she is working out. This would also give him more time to spend with his wife when he is home. And this has to be a two-way street - he has to learn to give it a break and spend quality time with her, as much as she should at least make an effort to support his harmless obsession. If she didn't like it, she shouldn't have married him!

January 30, 2008, 3:56 pm CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

Quote From: goldendawne

I was upset when I saw Dr. Phil, a professional, mocking the first man on who collected Star Wars. He was actually making the man look like an idiot. What is wrong with someone having a collection or a passion. My husband supports me in every venture I have. And vice versa.

I am appalled that a man of Dr. Phil's capabilities would do this to a man.

I understand the man willingly went on the show b t to ridicule him like that...I have lost some respect for Dr. Phil.

Do you not have empathy?

Wow, I came here to post because I felt exactly the same way! He should get rid of her, they're obviously completely incompatable. I don't think Dr. Phil is at fault, because a part of what he does on his show is make a huge deal out of a relatively minor situation. I think it's something about getting ratings. The real problem is his girlfriend. I don't even know why she had an interest in him. She seems like the type who would go for a jock or something.

There are female nerds out there, I'm one. I play video games alot. He has to find a girl who's just as nerdy as he is about Star Wars, or at least who understands what it means to have a passion for something, other than being socially acceptable. I can understand also why he says he finds her boring. Most likely cause she is.

I mean, everyone knows that the only guys who really like cuddling, are gay guys. I don't mean to say there are no straight guys who like to cuddle, but it's not something a guy wants to do all the time. She's acting like he should be there on her beck and command whenever she wants to snuggle. If she likes to snuggle so much, she should buy a teddy bear.

January 30, 2008, 3:57 pm CST

Star Wars

WOW-- If I were in your basement I wouldn't want to leave either !!!   Paul you have some righteous  'Star Wars' memorabilia.   I have never seen such a collection.  I am truely jealous .  If you have to part with some stuff- please seek out people you know will cherish them.   I would be proud to own even a portion of what you have.

My Son envies my collection.  He knows it will go to him.  And I know he will love them  just as I did.  Maybe you will have a Son or a Daughter who loves Star Wars as much as you.  And you both can experience it together.

I will keep the faith- and May The Force Be With YOU !!!

PS.  If you have to get rid of it-  I'd love to try to bid for some of your items.  I will take great care of them- I have a huge glass cureo just for 'Star Wars'.      Good Luck

Darlene
                                                                                           Pennsylvania

January 30, 2008, 3:59 pm CST

Collector's Items

That collection of Star Wars items is worth a fortune.  He could put a few things on ebay  when they need a little extra cash.  Go onto ebay and type in star wars and you will see how valuable a collection he has.  I think that he needs to stop accumulating more items.  He has a wife now and the spending should be agreed upon.  As far as snuggling goes- isn't that a guy thing?  If I just want to snuggle my husband he thinks of sex.  He has 2 modes on and off- that's it.  "Snuggle" isn't on the radar (unless it is after sex.)

At least the guy isn't out sleeping with other women.  He isn't beating her.  He may be a bit on the asperger's spectrum but the seems like a loving, caring spouse!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last