Message Boards

Topic : 07/31 "Get Rid of It!"

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 25, 2008, 01:19:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/30/08) Is there something you’ve been hanging on to for just a little too long? Clothes you haven’t fit into since high school? Boxes of stuff you haven’t looked at in years? Dr. Phil’s guests say their loved ones need to call the junk yard and “Get rid of it!” Kim says her husband, Paul’s, Star Wars hobby has to go. With over 6,000 pieces in his collection, Paul spends 30 hours a week playing with his action figures, building models and talking to friends about Star Wars. He even included light sabers in their wedding, so shouldn’t Kim have known what she was getting into? Next, Larry and Sheila married four months ago, but Sheila says she had no idea she was getting hitched to a hoarder. Larry says she’s got it all wrong –- she’s the pack rat! With some of their favorite collections rolled out on stage, can Dr. Phil help them negotiate what goes and what stays? Plus, meet Terri, who has four storage units and two garages full of sentimental memories –- like a rubber chicken and her father’s X-rays!  She spends so much money storing her stuff that she can’t even afford health insurance. What’s at the heart of her hoarding? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 30, 2008, 4:06 pm CST

Hey Yoshi!

Quote From: yoshiyoshi

Wow, I came here to post because I felt exactly the same way! He should get rid of her, they're obviously completely incompatable. I don't think Dr. Phil is at fault, because a part of what he does on his show is make a huge deal out of a relatively minor situation. I think it's something about getting ratings. The real problem is his girlfriend. I don't even know why she had an interest in him. She seems like the type who would go for a jock or something.

There are female nerds out there, I'm one. I play video games alot. He has to find a girl who's just as nerdy as he is about Star Wars, or at least who understands what it means to have a passion for something, other than being socially acceptable. I can understand also why he says he finds her boring. Most likely cause she is.

I mean, everyone knows that the only guys who really like cuddling, are gay guys. I don't mean to say there are no straight guys who like to cuddle, but it's not something a guy wants to do all the time. She's acting like he should be there on her beck and command whenever she wants to snuggle. If she likes to snuggle so much, she should buy a teddy bear.

How are you?  I am in total agreement.  I think that the wife needs to be a part of what interests him.  She knew it before she married him.  I think that what drives us crazy about our spouse might also be what we like about them.  I think that deep down she likes his childlike qualities and that drew her to him.  They have gone to Star Wars conventions together so I think she enjoys it more than she lets on.  She just wants to be included and not left out. 

Yoshi- It will not be hard to find a guy who likes to play video games!

January 30, 2008, 4:06 pm CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

Quote From: joanneburke

Dr Phil,

My 36 year old son is an avid Star Wars collector for the past 30 years!  He can't stop.  His girlfriends all break up with him.  He has ruined his credit, several times.  I usually bail him out, but no more.  He is in deep depression because he does not have any credit cards to purchase this stuff now.  His bedroom and our garage is full of Star Wars collectibles.  He pays a $250  monthy fee on a very large storage facility which is full of Star Wars stuff, for the past 7 years!  He works a part time job and takes his annual vacation every year to attend Comic Con and work for the Star Wars society.  What advice can you give me?  Or what can be done for him?   

I'll buy the stuff so you can be paid back for your losses :)

January 30, 2008, 4:12 pm CST

Junk collecting

With all of these collections, I agree with Dr. Phil that it's time to clean house, but I don't agree with giving it all away to charity. Terri obviously can not afford to give it all away, so she should try to sell as much as she can, that way she might be able to recover some of the storage costs.

The couple with all the Star Wars stuff might be surprised to find that the collection is now worth a lot more then what he paid for it. If that turns out to be the case, I would like to see her reaction.

January 30, 2008, 4:13 pm CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

The Little Mermaid bathroom was a little much. Just for revenge?? Who is the childish one?

How can a Storm Trooper concentrate on his morning throne staring at Ariel?? That's just wrong!!!

If Dr Phil only knew the power of the Darkside.

I bet Dr Phil wouldn't be so critical if it was Dr Phil books instead of Star Wars

January 30, 2008, 4:13 pm CST

A Good Tip

I used to be a hoarder of many things, music boxes, old school papers, etc. etc.  There is always some sentimental value to things that most people hold onto...

so I learned to only keep prized possessions and the things i knew I needed to through away I took pictures of them, I  think it is a lot better  to have 20 photo albums than 20 storage facilities. Cheers everyone to having a good sturdy garbage bags and lots of film!

January 30, 2008, 4:16 pm CST

Getting Rid of it

Four years ago my in laws were killed in a car wreck. My husband and I had to deal with the estate. They never threw anything away. It took us 3 months and 7 pickup truck and trailer loads to the dump. As well as many trips to the Salvation Army. His mother kept everything from broken dishes to my husbands previous marriage pictures. Things we had set aside to go the the dump and his parents volunteered to take to the dump for us. We found all of our junk back at their house to throw away again. We had to go through everything to sort through this. So please people who keep everything think of the people who will have to sort through things. This took a lot of our time and other family members couldn't bear to help.
Karen

January 30, 2008, 4:21 pm CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

I am only 16 and already a packrat. I have every paper from school from back to kindergarten. My room is a huge mess and it drives me crazy.

I think Dr. Phil could have been a little more sympathetic to the woman with all the stuff from her parents. I understand that it is crazy but I don't think you really understand how hard it is and how insane it makes you feel.

January 30, 2008, 4:24 pm CST

01/30 "Get Rid of IT"

I was holding my breath while reading the first few messages, wondering if I should put in my two cent's worth.  Then, lo and behold, some other brave soul wrote exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks "flyladyfan".

Lots of different opinions expressed here today, as always.  All equally valid; thanks for adding to the discussions.

Flylady is a site designed to help each and every one of us declutter our lives and homes.... 15 minutes at a time!  You can do ANYTHING for 15 minutes, people!

Her motto... "You are not behind.  Just start where you are now."  Check out how you can take control of your space, time and energy... go to flylady dot net   It's a long journey... but, aren't you worth it?  And, the best part.. it's FREE!

Sue

January 30, 2008, 4:24 pm CST

01/30 "Get Rid of It!"

Quote From: joanneburke

Dr Phil,

My 36 year old son is an avid Star Wars collector for the past 30 years!  He can't stop.  His girlfriends all break up with him.  He has ruined his credit, several times.  I usually bail him out, but no more.  He is in deep depression because he does not have any credit cards to purchase this stuff now.  His bedroom and our garage is full of Star Wars collectibles.  He pays a $250  monthy fee on a very large storage facility which is full of Star Wars stuff, for the past 7 years!  He works a part time job and takes his annual vacation every year to attend Comic Con and work for the Star Wars society.  What advice can you give me?  Or what can be done for him?   

Why is a 36 year old man still living in your house, it sounds like there is bigger problems then StarWars collections.

January 30, 2008, 4:29 pm CST

keep it or chuck it

I was a BAD pack rat. I kept everything. My mom bought me a book on getting rid of my junk. A simple list of 3 questions was all it took. 1 do you NEED it. your rent agreement your marriage licence etc stuff you must keep. 2 Do you use it. if you have used it in the last year would go on this list and 3rd do you love it. The heart shaped locket your grandma gave you may not be somethin you use or need by you love it all the same. If anything you got doesn't fit on 1 of these lists toss it. I am still weeding through all the stuff of "I might need it some day". But Dr Phil is right if you can't wear the winter coat you have, give it to someone who really needs it. There are all kinds of places to get rid of clothes household items and collectables were they will do more good then sitting in a box in a storage unit costing you money.

PS I m a huge Starwars fan. I have a closet full of stuff that I just love to death. I got to keep it 'cause it all went on the 3rd list. I love it. But my hubby got to keep his Lord of the Ring crap for the same reason.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last