Message Boards

Topic : 02/05 The Dr. Phil House: Rules of Engagement

Number of Replies: 161
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 01, 2008, 02:18:38 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Four engaged couples wondering if they’re ready to walk down the aisle move into The Dr. Phil House. Will their dysfunctional and toxic behavior stand in the way of a happy life together? Lacey says her fiancé, Kalin, has hit, choked and cheated on her, all while she was pregnant with their child. Steve is afraid of displeasing his fiancée, Stephanie, who considers herself a princess. Scott thinks his wife-to-be, Lisa, tears down his dreams of being a musician, while Lisa thinks Scott is a male chauvinist. Tim and Lilly are just 19 years old. Are they completely unprepared for their baby, due in two months? Each couple will be put to the test to see if they really know their partner’s flaws, funds, family and future expectations. After several challenges, will the couples decide to head to the altar or just call it quits? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 4, 2008, 6:04 pm CST

Lacey

Dear child,

You cannot change him.  He needs anger management.  He may love you, but he controls your life with the violence.  Please heed the warnings and require counseling and anger management classes before you make the leap to marriage.  He must have some  self-esteem issues and has the need to dominate you.  You must seek help immediately before you enter into a marriage contract. My prayers are with you.

Voice of experience and volunteer for the Womens Center of East Texas.

February 5, 2008, 3:40 am CST

LACY IS WITCH!

I just read a book called Why Men Marry (w)itches....I realize he has anger issues but there is a reason you two are together.  You are so intense you make coffee nervous.  Run away from this one...she is more interested in being right than in getting along.  Remember all anger is really fear, and all fear is really about control....Your man seems so cool, handsome, and obviously your two need this drama.  Or you seem to keep it going.  Get a hobby, leave him alone, don't be such a hater.  I could not understand you during the sketch/diagram exercise, you are not perfect.  You confused me too! 

February 5, 2008, 5:40 am CST

get with it

people do what you call weird but it is all human nature dont tell me you dont have skeltons in the closet we all do it,s human  nature and all of these people are in boring relationships.....it would seem that they are seeking excitement get with it Dr. Phil you to....

February 5, 2008, 5:58 am CST

Unload Stephanie now!!!!

Get rid of Stephanie now!  She sounds like a prima donna spoiled brat and anyone married to her will be catering the her wants and getting nothing in return.  She is going to be very expensive to mantain, since she   is obviously a shallow little brat.  Don't be used; get rid of her and run for the hills.

February 5, 2008, 5:59 am CST

dont be stupid

lacey if your hubby to be beates and chokes you when your just dateing him what kind of behavior do you expect once you say i do???, you shouldnt even be thinking about marriage to this man, the only thing you should be thinking about is just how far you can get away from him. im a man i have never hit a woman in my life, thers no exscuse for any man to hit a woman, i dont give a damn if the woman is kicking his ass, still not a exscuse to hit her!!!, if a man feels the need to hit a woman he should move on with out her, it AINT GUNNA WORK HUN KICK HIS ASS TO THE DOGS NOW!!! i would.

February 5, 2008, 7:13 am CST

youth and relationships

This is my first time posting, but I just had to weigh in on this!  First off I LOVE Dr Phil and find him sensitive and insightful.  However,  I think he can be guilty of  over generalizing on certain subjects, namely youth in serious relationships.  My husband is my high school sweetheart.  We were friends for my Sophmore year, dated my Junior year, and became engaged half way through my Senior year (NO BABY involved!)  We lived together for a full year before the wedding in July of 1986, I was 19 years old and he was 21.  We didn't have our first child until our first anniversary in 1988!  My husband has had TWO jobs in 22 years (he would have remained at the first one if he was not downsized) he has had the second one for 20 years!  He has provided for his family both financially and spiritually better than most men I know and has dealt with life in a positive and mature manner the whole time.  I have devoted my life to our 3 girls, attained a BA in Elementary Education and battled lupus and RA for the majority of our married life!

We have friends from high school who waited into their 30s and 40s to marry and have children.  Of the 8 best friends we have from high school who waited 1 is on his third wife in 10 years, 2 are divorced, 2 are in unhappy marriages, 2 are single with children, and only 1 is happily married with children!  My husband and I were raised with the understanding that a vow is a promise made to your spouse before God as a witness.  Not to be taken lightly or severed easily, we knew that until "death us do part"  is our reality.  Both our parents and all sets of grandparents were in lifetime successful marriages (our role models were consistent with our beliefs)  In short we were more prepared for a life time committment that many twice our age!

Please Dr. Phil, don't pigeon hole young people!  Some of us are mature beyond our years and well prepared by those who love us to take on life right out of the starting blocks!

PS, just to brag my oldest daughter is on the dean's list at FIT in Manhattan after her first 2 years!  She is also paying for college BY HERSELF!  We couldn't be more proud!

February 5, 2008, 7:34 am CST

i see 1couple that seem to have scense

the couple not standing up when dr phil asked them to stand if they think they should get married. in all honesty, they all need to take a break from each other, sure hope dr phil can fix these guests, well i know he can, if dr phil cant fix them no one can, good luck doc i thin you will need a bit of it.

February 5, 2008, 8:21 am CST

marriage readiness????

where is the marriage readiness quiz??? i would like to  take it but i cant find it.

February 5, 2008, 9:23 am CST

My pre-marriage quiz!

Here's the only MARRIAGE READINESS quiz you need:

If you are dating and you communicate lots, don't fight, have fun, can tolerate each other's families and you get a long great, you stand an excellent chance of having a successful marriage (providing you are not selfish, immature and disrespectful).

EVERY couple I have EVER known whose dating times were turbulent (like the couples on the show), DID NOT make it in marriage. Dating is supposed to be the best time; if it's not, it's a glimpse into what your marriage will be like (and it WILL be worse!).

I have been happily married for over 18 years. We had a wonderful year and 4 months of dating. We were respectful and supportive of eachother. We had fun. We talked lots. We learned how to deal with eachother's families. And we did NOT fight. We STILL don't fight. We communicate....sometimes more loudly than others, but we DO NOT fight. We are providing our children with a wonderful home and a chance to have wonderful marriages of their own some day.

The couples on the show need to pack their bags and go their separate ways. And NO COUPLE should ever shack up together prior to marriage. It is NOT the same as being married. And the stats show it always benefits the guy! Time to honor God and do what's best, not what's popular!!!

February 5, 2008, 9:26 am CST

Not the norm...

Quote From: jswjones67

This is my first time posting, but I just had to weigh in on this!  First off I LOVE Dr Phil and find him sensitive and insightful.  However,  I think he can be guilty of  over generalizing on certain subjects, namely youth in serious relationships.  My husband is my high school sweetheart.  We were friends for my Sophmore year, dated my Junior year, and became engaged half way through my Senior year (NO BABY involved!)  We lived together for a full year before the wedding in July of 1986, I was 19 years old and he was 21.  We didn't have our first child until our first anniversary in 1988!  My husband has had TWO jobs in 22 years (he would have remained at the first one if he was not downsized) he has had the second one for 20 years!  He has provided for his family both financially and spiritually better than most men I know and has dealt with life in a positive and mature manner the whole time.  I have devoted my life to our 3 girls, attained a BA in Elementary Education and battled lupus and RA for the majority of our married life!

We have friends from high school who waited into their 30s and 40s to marry and have children.  Of the 8 best friends we have from high school who waited 1 is on his third wife in 10 years, 2 are divorced, 2 are in unhappy marriages, 2 are single with children, and only 1 is happily married with children!  My husband and I were raised with the understanding that a vow is a promise made to your spouse before God as a witness.  Not to be taken lightly or severed easily, we knew that until "death us do part"  is our reality.  Both our parents and all sets of grandparents were in lifetime successful marriages (our role models were consistent with our beliefs)  In short we were more prepared for a life time committment that many twice our age!

Please Dr. Phil, don't pigeon hole young people!  Some of us are mature beyond our years and well prepared by those who love us to take on life right out of the starting blocks!

PS, just to brag my oldest daughter is on the dean's list at FIT in Manhattan after her first 2 years!  She is also paying for college BY HERSELF!  We couldn't be more proud!

Congrats to you, but HOPEFULLY you realize that you are the exception not the rule.

Dr. Phil deals with facts, not exceptions. Your situation is not the norm, sadly.

I graduated with a couple who married soon after high school; that was over 20 years ago and they have been thru lots together (health issues, etc). They are happily married and we all knew back in high school that they would be together forever. They, too, are sadly the exception.

As for your daughter, you SHOULD be proud. Having you two for parents had lots to do with her success! God bless ALL of you. You know He's smiling down on you!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last