Message Boards

Topic : 02/06 Pill Popping Twins

Number of Replies: 203
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 01, 2008, 02:19:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
They were beautiful twin sisters until they started abusing pills. Yvonne says she had the perfect life -- a great husband, nice house and three happy children -- until her introduction to pain pills six years ago. Shortly after, her twin, Yvette, picked up the habit too. Their lives have spiraled out of control. Their younger sister, Maria, wants to confront her sisters and make them take a hard look at what their drug abuse is doing to their kids and the entire family. You won’t believe the extreme behavior the Dr. Phil cameras capture in their home. Is one of the sisters pressuring the other to keep up her pill popping? The women live with their mother and Yvonne's three children. Find out why Yvette's daughter only sees her on the weekends. And, Yvette and Yvonne have a rocky relationship with their mother, Debbie. Why do they say she hates them? And, what does Dr. Phil say that upsets Yvette so much, she turns away and breaks down. You don't want to miss the first part of this disturbing story, and find out why this could happen to you! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 3, 2008, 1:40 am CST

Oxycodin

Quote From: lizsgrama66

i too have multiple things wrong with me,ra,and peripheral neuropathy.  my neurologist had prescribed 90 vicadin a month and which gave me relief but also stomach pain,he now has me on 45 darvocet for 15 days.it's embarrassing to have to take that many,and i know i am  hooked. when i signed the consent for long term opiod use,i had no idea what i was getting into,i really did not read it,just thought what a relief from my pain.boy was i wrong
The doctor wanted to give my 85 year old mother Oxycodin for her peipheral neuropathy pain, but when she read about it on Medline (information site of the National Library of Medicine in Rockville, MD) she said NO THANKS!

February 3, 2008, 12:53 pm CST

Pain Management

Quote From: marianparoo

The doctor wanted to give my 85 year old mother Oxycodin for her peipheral neuropathy pain, but when she read about it on Medline (information site of the National Library of Medicine in Rockville, MD) she said NO THANKS!
This is a quality of life issue.  There are some with chronic pain who deserve to live a better and fuller life.  Oxycontin/ Oxycodone is addictive and the dosage often needs to be increased as the person becomes used to it.  It is not for long term use in the general population.  It is a different story when someone has a chronic or terminal condition that causes them to consider suicide.  Make sure that your mother discusses her pain issues with her doctor.  There are plenty of other meds for neuropathy than Oxycodone.

February 6, 2008, 7:54 am CST

02/06 Pill Popping Twins

i could say a few bad things about the twins BUT i do not think that would be very nice, i will say i am going to pray for both of you as i know the power of prayer, and also i will offer this advice to both twins!! until you stand in front of a mirrow and look the one in the eye that is to blame for you doing drugs, you will find it almost impossible to stop using, dont put the monkey on your moms back, she is not holding you down and forcing you to use any thing, take the responcabilty and stop using!!!!! you will love your self alot more if you do,[ i know i did] i used drugs for over 35 years of my life, been clean for over 10 years now and i feel great . it can be done, but first you must look the demon straight in the eyes and know you are worthy of change, god bless you both and good luck on the road to recovery, it is a long hard road to travel but its not a lonely road, there are lots of us walking that road,

February 6, 2008, 8:10 am CST

This happens often! Protect the kids regardless.

Quote From: housewife52

I think this could happen to anyone who ends up with pain and prescriptions. It happened to my late father in the 70's and 80's. He had several disc surgeries and ended up on  pain meds and he also was an alchoholic. Back then, I don't remember this being discussed in the media much, if at all. My father was always talking about young people taking drugs and getting hooked on them. Because his meds were legally prescribed he didn't consider himself being addicted. It was amazing to me and my mother that he was able to make that distinction being "illegal" and "legal" drugs and addiction. And evidently his doctors didn't worry about him being hooked either because they kept on prescribing the drugs.

I am a former felony probation/parole officer from Florida. I had quite a few decent, hard-working men and women who were on my caseload for fraud (getting fake prescriptions for pain killers, etc). These people all had REAL LIFE NORMAL injuries (such as back problems) that led them to LEGALLY take a very additictive drug. Once hooked, their lives spiraled downward and they were soon committing crimes to get the medicine that they were addicted to...

Bad things can and do happen to good people. Often it's the lack of good, close medical attention (either due to the fault of the patient and/or the fault of the doctor). Sadly in today's world, families aren't as close and don't watch over their loved ones and doctors don't give individual care and follow-up care.

When it comes to children, it DOESN'T MATTER HOW these people got addicted. The children MUST be protected from their drug-indicted parents. Family members should step in immediately. If they won't do it, than the State should!

February 6, 2008, 8:29 am CST

any advice????

I am was in the same situation as the sister except it was my sister and my niece.My sister just got out of rehab and my niece is still in,,,she is 5 months pregnant.It has been such a frustrating time in my family because I have watched their lives go down the drain.I would try to help but they would just get mad and then we would fight and it wouldnt do anyone any good.Now my sister is on saboxone and my niece is on methadone,,,I have read that both are very addicting and it scares me ,,,,cant they just be pill free?? Please anyone ,,any advice??

February 6, 2008, 8:39 am CST

02/06 Pill Popping Twins

I really hope the ladies on the show get help. I have seen first hand what methadone and Xanax addiction will do to someone. My 34-year-old brother was also addicted to these pills. My sister found him dead on his living room floor. They were able to get a heart beat back in the emergency room, but he is now in a vegetative coma. He can do absolutely nothing for himself. He lives with my parents who are in their 50s. He is fed through a tube. He has a trach tube in his neck to breathe. He cannot speak or communicate. We are responsible for his every need. He will never experience getting married or being a father. Just imagine what it would be like to be trapped in your own body. I miss him everyday of my life. He also said he did not have a problem with drugs. I only wish we would have known how badly he was addicted before this happened. I would give anything to have him back.

February 6, 2008, 8:55 am CST

help?

Quote From: flthomcat

I am a former felony probation/parole officer from Florida. I had quite a few decent, hard-working men and women who were on my caseload for fraud (getting fake prescriptions for pain killers, etc). These people all had REAL LIFE NORMAL injuries (such as back problems) that led them to LEGALLY take a very additictive drug. Once hooked, their lives spiraled downward and they were soon committing crimes to get the medicine that they were addicted to...

Bad things can and do happen to good people. Often it's the lack of good, close medical attention (either due to the fault of the patient and/or the fault of the doctor). Sadly in today's world, families aren't as close and don't watch over their loved ones and doctors don't give individual care and follow-up care.

When it comes to children, it DOESN'T MATTER HOW these people got addicted. The children MUST be protected from their drug-indicted parents. Family members should step in immediately. If they won't do it, than the State should!

My niece is on probation for stealing,,,then she got caught again,,,,then she got caught again!!! I am so frustrated with her but she stole to buy her pills,,oxy and I guess what ever else she could get. She is also pregnant and admitted herself to rehab,,can the p.o take her out of there to jail??? Shouldnt they get help for the problem at hand??

February 6, 2008, 8:57 am CST

I feel so helpless!!!

a few years ago i found out that my husband was taking Lorcet . It started out as relief for his back and quickly turned into a habit. I've tried reasoning with him, but nothing seem to help. We have a daughter together and I'm afraid of what this is doing to her. I cannot turn to his family because his dad,sister,and niece are all hooked-on the same drugs and other. How can I get through to him,without leaving him?

February 6, 2008, 9:12 am CST

02/06 Pill Popping Twins

I worked in the medical field for many years in a clinic pharmacy. When I worked there I saw many people who became addicted to pain medications and it was scary!

I was lucky..I had access to the drug information so I made it my business to learn about the side effects of all the meds we dispensed. I read labels, and the package inserts as well as the PDR book we had in the pharmacy....information is definitely power....I don't take ANYthing myself unless I have no choice....and on the occasions when I had to take pain pills, I took less than were prescribed, for the shortest amount of time,  because I'm so afraid of them.

One thing I learned was that pain meds cause what is called a "boomerang effect", which means that when you are in pain, THE MORE PAIN PILLS YOU TAKE, THE MORE INTENSE THE PAIN BECOMES!! So you take more pills to kill the pain and it boomerangs. Take them only as prescribed for the least amount of time possible. NO pain pill COMPLETELY gets rid of the pain...they are designed to make the pain BEARABLE. 

Doctors are too quick to prescribe these dangerous medications without enough information!! If you want information about what you are taking, ask the PHARMACIST, not the doctor. The Pharmacist has access to that information and will give you the package insert if you ask. Doctors are too busy to learn about the drugs they dispense...they only go by what the drug reps tell them, and the reps tell them just enough to get the doctors to start writing prescriptions for their drug. 

Again, Knowledge is power....arm yourself with it!

February 6, 2008, 9:45 am CST

What about the innocent children of the twins

Yvonne and Yvette need to have a visit from Children's welfare services.  Those poor children are who I am concerned about, more so than their parents.  They need a voice to speak on their behalf.  The drugs have clouded their Mother's and Aunt's good judgement.  Looking forward to tomorrow's show to see if there is some action taken on the children's behalf.  After all, "children learn what they live".

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last