Message Boards

Topic : 02/06 Pill Popping Twins

Number of Replies: 203
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 01, 2008, 02:19:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
They were beautiful twin sisters until they started abusing pills. Yvonne says she had the perfect life -- a great husband, nice house and three happy children -- until her introduction to pain pills six years ago. Shortly after, her twin, Yvette, picked up the habit too. Their lives have spiraled out of control. Their younger sister, Maria, wants to confront her sisters and make them take a hard look at what their drug abuse is doing to their kids and the entire family. You won’t believe the extreme behavior the Dr. Phil cameras capture in their home. Is one of the sisters pressuring the other to keep up her pill popping? The women live with their mother and Yvonne's three children. Find out why Yvette's daughter only sees her on the weekends. And, Yvette and Yvonne have a rocky relationship with their mother, Debbie. Why do they say she hates them? And, what does Dr. Phil say that upsets Yvette so much, she turns away and breaks down. You don't want to miss the first part of this disturbing story, and find out why this could happen to you! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 6, 2008, 10:01 am CST

02/06 Pill Popping Twins

My God Yvette sounds like my 12 yr old niece... My mommy hates me because she won't let me have whatever I want! 

I can't stand how drug addicts think. Yvonne actually said that Yvette tries her best with the kids ....well I'm sorry but if thats her best she does not deserve her kids, neither of them do!

With all the things doctors and regular people know about certain prescription drugs I can't believe they have not stopped using them, it's obviously not worth the risk. There are other ways to control pain. Pills that don't make you high or a whole list of non medicinal options.

Why does every one want the easy way out??

Over weight---take a pill

stressed -----take a pill

depressed  ---- take a pill

back pain ----take a pill

can't sleep----- take a pill

can't wake up-----take a pill
Good God how about exercise?? How about taking a walk in the woods to get away from the noise or problems for a little while?? How about talking to a good friend or writing a letter or in a journal to get it off your chest??

Nope; God forbid anybody does alittle work to make it better! Nope let's just be lazy and take a pill!!!!

Sad Sad Sad.

February 6, 2008, 10:20 am CST

the boomerang effect...

Quote From: cndrlla

I worked in the medical field for many years in a clinic pharmacy. When I worked there I saw many people who became addicted to pain medications and it was scary!

I was lucky..I had access to the drug information so I made it my business to learn about the side effects of all the meds we dispensed. I read labels, and the package inserts as well as the PDR book we had in the pharmacy....information is definitely power....I don't take ANYthing myself unless I have no choice....and on the occasions when I had to take pain pills, I took less than were prescribed, for the shortest amount of time,  because I'm so afraid of them.

One thing I learned was that pain meds cause what is called a "boomerang effect", which means that when you are in pain, THE MORE PAIN PILLS YOU TAKE, THE MORE INTENSE THE PAIN BECOMES!! So you take more pills to kill the pain and it boomerangs. Take them only as prescribed for the least amount of time possible. NO pain pill COMPLETELY gets rid of the pain...they are designed to make the pain BEARABLE. 

Doctors are too quick to prescribe these dangerous medications without enough information!! If you want information about what you are taking, ask the PHARMACIST, not the doctor. The Pharmacist has access to that information and will give you the package insert if you ask. Doctors are too busy to learn about the drugs they dispense...they only go by what the drug reps tell them, and the reps tell them just enough to get the doctors to start writing prescriptions for their drug. 

Again, Knowledge is power....arm yourself with it!

I need to clarify what I said in my first posting, about how the "boomerang effect" works exactly:

When you are in pain,  you take the prescribed dose of your pain med. This will not kill the pain entirely..it's not meant to. It only makes it bearable. People think the pain should completely disappear and when it doesn't,  the usual response of the patient is to then take another pill, exceeding the prescribed dose, and to take it more often. What happens is that your body reacts by intensifying the pain...so you take even more pain pills....which again intensifies the pain....hence..the "boomerang effect", and addiction before you know what happened. 

Doctors and/or pharmicists should be clear to their patients about this so they know what to expect.

February 6, 2008, 12:07 pm CST

Wait a minute, please

I am currently taking pain medication for a variety of ailments.  I don't believe that this have interfered with my life.  The reason?  I take them as prescribed and am under a physician's care.  Unless I have another surgery, I will probably continue to take these drugs.  They are not very strong and I TAKE THEM AS PRESCRIBED.  The reason that pain meds get such a terrible rep is that people take two, three, four times the amount prescribed.  They take them to get high.  These women....I'm sorry, but these women are immature and irresponsible beyond reason.  It's hard to know what they were like before but responsible people don't take drugs and kill people -- people who are high on drugs kill people.  If you have a headache, do you take 10 aspirin?  No, you could really hurt yourself that way.  Every sad story of addiction begins with the addict deciding to up his dosage and continuing to up his/her dosage.  Maybe it's easier to blame the drug.

February 6, 2008, 12:27 pm CST

from the childs point of view

As a 19 year old girl who has lived through a drug addicted mother lifestyle i am very concerend for these children. I have lost my mother to drugs on Dec of 2006. During my graduating year of high schol i had to deal with the loss of my moher nad knowing that the drugs took her life from everyone in the family.

As i grew up in different homes with step parents and foster parents i had always thought that it was my fault that these drugs had taken my mom out of our family. i had thought this because of the way my mom had yelled and punished us. she ook family money to get the money for her fixes. she also sold alot of my things as well as my sisters. When i was at the age of 7 or 8 i had decided i did not want to see my mom like this and i did not want her around. i was 7 or 8!!!!! these twins need to relize that their children will grow up thinking of numerous reasons as to why its their fault it took me over 10 years to relize it was not my fault. it seems like it is alwaysed balmed on their mom but no one can make you do  drugs. i lost my mom and i dont want to see these children loose thiers. i am now in pharmacutical technology in college and i now know the seriousness that these drugs have and reflecting on the past i can see how it is so hard to get off of them. but i cry out to the twins to think of thier children and if they can not be stopped and they can not get off of the drugs then i cry out to the mother of these twins to call the famliy services and get these children out to saftey!!!!!!

As a 19 year old female i need my mom around to disscuss things like marriage and babues and thing that irls are suppose to talk to their mothers about but i am not able to do that. however i wouove the chance to be able to tell these twins the way their children could feel 10 years form now. just maybe it could open their eyes.

February 6, 2008, 12:44 pm CST

We need to wake up...

We as a nation need to wake up. Oxycotton is the pill form of heroin!! It is thrown out to everyone, even from Dentists when you get a tooth pulled! I will never understand why America never talks about prescription drugs but will throw everyone in jail for marijuana. There are some states that are trying to criminalize Oxy's because they are proven addictive and dangerous! These prescription drugs and commercials all over the networks are disturbing. You can't watch prime time without prescription drug commercials invading the airwaves. The drug companies just get richer and richer and we all act surprised when everyone we know takes numerous pills a day. I wonder why?? I don't feel bad for these twins, they will end up just like Anna Nicole and Heath Ledger. These are grown ups that do in fact no better! It's not hard to figure out, this is 2008 - not 30 years ago when issues like this were swept under the rug. Wake up America. Not only do we not have free health care we have half the country abusing the coverage they do have. Does anyone wonder why health care costs so much? 

February 6, 2008, 12:53 pm CST

Wow

Quote From: nixi333

My God Yvette sounds like my 12 yr old niece... My mommy hates me because she won't let me have whatever I want! 

I can't stand how drug addicts think. Yvonne actually said that Yvette tries her best with the kids ....well I'm sorry but if thats her best she does not deserve her kids, neither of them do!

With all the things doctors and regular people know about certain prescription drugs I can't believe they have not stopped using them, it's obviously not worth the risk. There are other ways to control pain. Pills that don't make you high or a whole list of non medicinal options.

Why does every one want the easy way out??

Over weight---take a pill

stressed -----take a pill

depressed  ---- take a pill

back pain ----take a pill

can't sleep----- take a pill

can't wake up-----take a pill
Good God how about exercise?? How about taking a walk in the woods to get away from the noise or problems for a little while?? How about talking to a good friend or writing a letter or in a journal to get it off your chest??

Nope; God forbid anybody does alittle work to make it better! Nope let's just be lazy and take a pill!!!!

Sad Sad Sad.

Wow, glad you're perfect.  Makes it easier to pass judgment on everyone else.  Kudos!

February 6, 2008, 12:54 pm CST

Pill Poppin Twins

Drug addiction , a mask to the real event, lack of self respect/love. These are 2 beautiful women who are caught in the grips of a terrible malfunction, that malfunction is dysfunction. I feel for those children, this is no way for anyone to be raised and thank God for you Dr. Phil(the Chosen One) to provide them with the information that could save these kids lives. As a firefighter we know that a large number of fires start with people falling asleep with a lit cigarette, this is one less tragedy that could occur with your intervention. I send my prayers and support to the 2 women and those kids and the rest of the victims of their addiction which is everyone they come in contact with. Yvette and Yvonne , , you are 2 beautiful women with a chance to create a beautiful fulfilled life, please get help and let us all see you in a year as I envision you, in your greatness.

February 6, 2008, 12:55 pm CST

drugs

Im not trying to judge these women because I have been down that road and recovered....but I feel so sorry for those kids......and Yvette is SO high on the show I can hardly look at her......Nothing Dr.Phil is saying to her right now is going to sink in......she needs to get clean and then watch these videosand be talked with...then maybe she will see what she is doing to herself and those children........Yvonne needs to get clean but I dont think she is as bad off as Yvette........and I think Yvette is trying to hide because she is about to nod out

February 6, 2008, 1:17 pm CST

So Sad

My husband went through a fairly short ordeal with pain meds.  At one point, he even broke into the home of one of our friends to take some Vicadin.  When I found out, I was embarrassed and sick.  I never thought he would do something like that.  I didn't even know he was taking pills.  Our friends did not press charges & my husband never went to jail, but it affected their friendship with him.  How could he possibly be trusted?  Fortunately it proved to be a turning point for him. He has been able to fight his problem and stop taking pills.  It had not been going on very long, so I am glad for that.  But it is always a struggle for him.  He's learned to talk to me when he feels temptation.  It will probably always be a struggle.

I feel bad for the children of the twins on the show.  Children are so innocent.

(Listening to these ladies talk, it sounds like they are from Louisiana (where I'm from ).  They have a cajun accent.  )

February 6, 2008, 1:23 pm CST

OMG...idots, I have no sympathy.

After watching these two with those kids, I have zero sympathy for them, especially when one says "I want to be happy"... how happy are your KIDS??????? I so hope DSS sees this and takes them away. Then these two women can go rot somewhere. Hopefully, they wont kill anyone like the one's husband did. At least he's in jail. Wake the freak up!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last