Message Boards

Topic : 02/06 Pill Popping Twins

Number of Replies: 203
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 01, 2008, 02:19:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
They were beautiful twin sisters until they started abusing pills. Yvonne says she had the perfect life -- a great husband, nice house and three happy children -- until her introduction to pain pills six years ago. Shortly after, her twin, Yvette, picked up the habit too. Their lives have spiraled out of control. Their younger sister, Maria, wants to confront her sisters and make them take a hard look at what their drug abuse is doing to their kids and the entire family. You won’t believe the extreme behavior the Dr. Phil cameras capture in their home. Is one of the sisters pressuring the other to keep up her pill popping? The women live with their mother and Yvonne's three children. Find out why Yvette's daughter only sees her on the weekends. And, Yvette and Yvonne have a rocky relationship with their mother, Debbie. Why do they say she hates them? And, what does Dr. Phil say that upsets Yvette so much, she turns away and breaks down. You don't want to miss the first part of this disturbing story, and find out why this could happen to you! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 6, 2008, 2:15 pm CST

So Sad

HI Dr. Phil,

I am a single parent and have been from day one with both of my beautiful children, I could never imagine being in the position these two twins are in.  Their poor children, which should be removed from both households and in the custody of someone else for good, are the victims here and will be now for the rest of their lives.  They should not be living with their mother; what is this teaching them, when the going gets tough, run home where they can have more money for drugs as they probably don't pay anything in terms of mortgage, rent, hydro, cable, phone, etc.?  What kind of lesson is their mother teaching them still at their ages?  I hope you really find help for these two twins and that they WANT it, as well as for the rest of the family and friends. Their younger sister did the right thing by calling you, however, I have to agree with another message, she shoudl be calling the police and CFS.  Good luck, looking forward to part II.

February 6, 2008, 2:17 pm CST

Great Job!!!!

Quote From: jfabian

I agree with you.  I was having trouble sleeping.  I went to see my doctor, he said I had insomnia and he prescribed Cymbalta.  It worked for little while, I was sleeping, losing weight, and had dry mouth.  That's the side effects.  I was drinking plenty of water, but it wasn't quenching my thirst.  Then after a couple of months I noticed I wasn't losing the weight, nor sleeping very well.  I decided to stop taking them.  I suffered with the insomnia for a little while.  I was eating like crazy, and putting on the pounds. One evening I was watching the Discovery Channel about the National Body Challenge. The program had different set of twins working together as a team supporting each other losing weight, etc.  I was so motivated by the progress they were making, I decided to get into an exercise program.  Now, I watch what I eat, exercise here at work 3 days a week and at home.  I've been sleeping and feeling much better and I lost about 5 lbs.  I don't ever want to rely on pills ever again. 

Good for you!!!! It not only feels good physically But I bet it feels amazing to be handling things in a way that you can be proud of!!! :-)

~Nixi

February 6, 2008, 2:24 pm CST

My Sister Too!!!!

I can not believe my eyes!!!    Yvette or Yvonne (twins--can't tell them apart)--the one sideways on the couch--is just like my sister and I am just like Maria.  Watching the show made me feel SO uncomfortable because of the fact that I felt like my sister was in the room.  My sister is bipolar, as well as an addict.  She has attempted suicide.  She has lost custody of her son and pushed her older daughters away.  She has threatened to kill my mom numerous times.  It's just ludacris!!  In my state, there is no help available to someone who's not willing--or in her case--able to help themselves.  She freaks out, gets an abulance ride to the hospital, they hold her for 48, 72, or 96 hours, change her meds all around--without even waiting to see if the med change will work, and then send her home.  She is SO hateful, vengeful, mean, ugly, and evil to everyone aroud her.  I don't claim to know all of Yvette and Yvonne's story, but the way the one sister was reacting to Maria just blew my mind.  I would really like to speak with Maria and see just how she handles it.  I struggle everyday with it.  Wow.  That's all I can really say is, Wow. 

February 6, 2008, 2:26 pm CST

Shame, where is the love!

Quote From: nixi333

far from perfect I just choose to do the work instead of depending on pills and excuses.

I did it too!  My mom didnt give a flip, she was a drug addict and I was a lost child.  Three children and three marriages later  I am not hooked on drugs.  I do take Zanex to sleep bc I am so hard on myself I suffer from severe insomnia, a result of my mother constantly telling me I wouldnt amount to anything.  Something I have leanred to control but I am not perfect enough to rid of.  I work hard and do not do drugs, we have a wonderful home in a place most call yuppieville bc I busted my rear.  But I could have just as easily been either one of these mothers.  I am not a fool tot hink I never will face this type of lonliness, but to judge is a disgrace.  Not everyone is dealt a great hand in the world.  Sometimes the fight to change the hand you were dealt is beoynd yourself.  I hope for these twins that they find strength, that they use their own failures and the failures of their mother as a good reason to make change.  They r not alone, mothers struggle each day to survive mothering children in this world.  I do it without my mother, she is still s drug addict.  I am a picture of a survivor and still each day I struggle, even though I have never been addicted or had a drug in control of me and my life.  I suffer and I struggle, I am no better then these mothers, I am just lucky something or somebosy has given me the strength to fight for something better. Shame on you for judging. As I am sure there is plenty you have shoved in your own closet!  Bless these mothers for sharing their story with one million viewers.  Some of which may have needed to hear they were not alone. 

February 6, 2008, 2:27 pm CST

02/06 Pill Popping Twins

This is such a sad situation. I recognize the accent of these girls and can tell they probably don't live very far from me. In Louisiana so many things go on without a word of disapproval being spoken because people think that it is just what we do down here. The drinking, the pills, the gambling but it is not right. Those poor kids have to watch this everyday. The twins, the mom, and the kids all need help to deal with the trama of this situation. The twins don't realize what they are doing to their kids everyday. They make think it's nothing or normal but those kids need love and attention not yelling and being cursed out.

February 6, 2008, 2:30 pm CST

No Sympathy..and why.

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for these 2 women.  You might think I'm heartless but I have a valid reason.  I am a person who struggles daily with chronic pain from a back injury.  I am forced to take pain meds one being Methadone.  Because of these twins and others like them it has become so difficult for legitamate patients to get the prescriptions they need because of people that are abusing the drugs!  When I get my prescriptions I must go to the doctor for a full visit, they cannot just give refill for a few months like most other medications.  The Federal Drug Enforcement Agencies has put in place so many rules so that abusers won't get their hands on these drugs and put them on the street for people to take for fun.  So because of that my doctor office visits are more money and so are the pills!  So do I feel sorry for them? NO way! 

If they really had a clue what real pain is they wouldn't be doing what they are doing.  These women take the drugs to escape.  They have no chronic pain, they are just abusing.  Because of them and others I suffer.  Sure I get my medications but I now pay alot more for them and I also cannot even fill them a day ahead of time due to the Federal rules.  You can only fill them on the 30th day that you are out, so if you go to your local drugstore and they are out, oh well too bad.  So you then spend your day driiving from drugstore to drugstore to fill your prescriptions, all because of people who abuse the drugs that we need.  My pain doesn't even allow me to drive to I have to call upon family to drive me to my doctors and drugstores.  Rediculous if you ask me because in the end the people who are abusers will ALWAYS get their drugs, and the real pain patients suffer! 

These two need to be arrested and put away maybe then they will learn how wonderful their life really is.  They have beautiful children and they could care less.  Disgusting.  I wish I had half of what they have.  Because of my back injury I can no longer work, I'm lucky if I can shower for the day or make my meals.  Yet here these two are popping xanax (which I cant even get because xanax and methdone are a no-no) and methadone and whatever they can get their hands on I'm sure.  Nope sorry no sympathy here I hope the police catch up to them if you want the truth. 

February 6, 2008, 2:32 pm CST

Addicted

I lost my husband November 6, 2001due to his addiction to oxycotin. A doctor prescribed it to him for a pinched nerve in his neck, most people know that is not a drug used for that kind of pain.  I watched him go from a healthy 170 lb man to a very sick 105lb man.  That drug caused him to take his own life which is something he would have never done before.  I hope the twins get the help they need before it is too late for them and their children.

February 6, 2008, 2:40 pm CST

02/06 Pill Popping Twins

Quote From: afraid

i could say a few bad things about the twins BUT i do not think that would be very nice, i will say i am going to pray for both of you as i know the power of prayer, and also i will offer this advice to both twins!! until you stand in front of a mirrow and look the one in the eye that is to blame for you doing drugs, you will find it almost impossible to stop using, dont put the monkey on your moms back, she is not holding you down and forcing you to use any thing, take the responcabilty and stop using!!!!! you will love your self alot more if you do,[ i know i did i used drugs for over 35 years of my life, been clean for over 10 years now and i feel great . it can be done, but first you must look the demon straight in the eyes and know you are worthy of change, god bless you both and good luck on the road to recovery, it is a long hard road to travel but its not a lonely road, there are lots of us walking that road,
I think this is a wonderfully encouraging message. I'm so glad for you too,afraid.

February 6, 2008, 2:43 pm CST

support him

Quote From: casm06

a few years ago i found out that my husband was taking Lorcet . It started out as relief for his back and quickly turned into a habit. I've tried reasoning with him, but nothing seem to help. We have a daughter together and I'm afraid of what this is doing to her. I cannot turn to his family because his dad,sister,and niece are all hooked-on the same drugs and other. How can I get through to him,without leaving him?
I lost my husband due to oxycotin addiction in 2006, he took his own life. All the reasoning in the world won't help until he hits bottom and helps himself just pray he does that before he dies.

February 6, 2008, 2:55 pm CST

I go to a “Legalized Drug Dealer” I want to stop and yet I can’t –

I’ve been caught in a “Government Bureaucracy” for 6 years now and instead of trying to find out the cause of my pain – they send me to a Pain Management Clinic and every 30 days he prescribes me:

• Methadone
  • Percocet
  • Lyrica
  • Tizanudine
  • Lyrica
  • Lunesta

I want off these drugs – if I stop I’m not in compliant with my treatment plan - can anyone offer me advice if I decide to go off these meds myself –

Please – email me!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last