Message Boards

Topic : 02/07 Pill Popping Twins, Part 2

Number of Replies: 296
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 01, 2008, 02:21:07 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues delving into the lives of twin sisters, Yvette and Yvonne, who abuse pain pills. They live with their mother, with whom they have a volatile relationship, and the household is filled with fighting, screaming, cursing and even passing out in front of their children. Their father, Timothy, a former drug addict, joins the show. Why do they become emotional upon seeing him? Next, find out who else Yvonne blames for her drug problem. Then, Dr. Phil presses the twins to face the truth. Will these sisters acknowledge the emotional impact that they are having on their young children and make a change? And, when faced with the ultimate choice, will Yvette and Yvonne choose life or death? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 7, 2008, 9:25 am CST

02/07 Pill Popping Twins, Part 2

I have a problem with so many things being labeled an "addiction".  Drinking, drugs, shopping, gambling, etc.,...whatever the "vice" might be.  ABUSE, yes?  Addiction, no.  "Addiction" sounds too much like an excuse & it takes away personal responsibility.  'Well, I have an addiction; I can't help it.' I don't buy that.  In just this family's example, Maria is proof to me that good choices can be made. 

God knows my mom could have repeated the bad, neglectful choices that her mother modeled for her, but thank God, she chose a different path for her kids.

I don't believe these "addictions" are genetic.  I believe a large part, if not all of it, is learned behavior. 

So many people who abuse whatever have/had a parent, or maybe someone else they were close to, abuse either the same thing(s) or something else.  These three have parents who one abused drugs & the other drinks & gambles.  I'm guessing the drinking & gambling is not something new for the mother. 

No doubt so many people grew up lacking something in their childhood...love, attention, affection, security, etc.,...& people will go with either bad or good choices trying to find what they lack.  OR block the pain from what is missing.  But it is a choice. 

I just pray that Yvonne & Yvette choose to clean up & show their kids there is a better way.

February 7, 2008, 9:29 am CST

Quote From: beverly23

As I was watching the show I was more than surprised to hear Dr. Phil speak to one of the daughters about methadone rotting her teeth. I have worked in a methadone clinic for many years and this is one of the myths we try to dispel.  I would be interested in reading any medical or scientific reports that support your comment.

Maybe he confused methadone with methamphetamine, which does seem to rot people's teeth.

February 7, 2008, 9:35 am CST

Quote From: workingohiomom

dr phil. i don't believe the mom will take care of the children properly. i do believe she agreed to care for the children only because she was put on the spot, she was on the phone and didn't want to be the bad guy. you can always tell someone by the look on their face and since the mother wasn't on the show no one had the chance to see her reactions to everything. i certainly hope and pray that the twins follow through with their rehab but for some reason my gut says they won't. the father is by far no role model and since he hasn't been in their lives i don't think he should be involved in any part of the twins treatment.

I, too have my doubts that the mom will take proper care of her grandchildren. Because, when Dr Phil asked her if she'd be willing to step up to the plate and give them good care, she said she'd already been doing so. Yelling, drinking and gambling? That's taking good care of those kids and setting a good example for them to follow? Give me a break!

February 7, 2008, 9:37 am CST

Children deserve better

I am reading a lot of comments that focus on the dynamics between the 3 sisters and whilst I can see that the undercurrents in this family are relevant, at this crisis point, the children are the priority here.

There can be no incentive to change if someone is in denial and it appears that apart from Maria, everyone else in this family continues to move the boundries for what is and is not acceptable, to avoid dealing with these severe problems.

Of course the children have NO CHOICE but to accept the miserable existance they have. How on earth can the children's drug addicted aunt feel that those children are spoilt?!
They are neglected, emotionally abused and uncared for. They have lost a father, mother and aunt to drugs and they are constanly witnessing the fact that their mother puts her addiction FIRST , above them.

The children need to go to a safe environment.  CPS needs to be involved here.
Both twins should have their driving priviledges revoked, and commit to rehab.
The twin with the children needs to become INDEPENDANT from her other twin as they are supporting each other in an unhealthy lifestyle. Her only priority should be to get healthy for those children.
THEY DESERVE BETTER!

February 7, 2008, 9:44 am CST

Those poor kids

If I were the sister of those twins I would be trying to get custody of those poor kids myself...I could never sit back and watch my nieces and nephews be abused in that manner.  I don't understand how people can call Dr. Phil but not social services.  It just makes me sick to see kids treated in that manner when there is a responsible adult who could care for them and remove them from the situation.

February 7, 2008, 9:52 am CST

Judging?

Quote From: krtroublegirl

WHERE DO WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO CALL SOMEONE A BAD MOTHER, AND TELL THEM THAT THERE CHILDREN NEED TO BE TAKEN AWAY? THATS NOT OUR JOB!!! DR. PHIL IS TRYING TO HELP THEM, AND YOU ARE HERE JUDGING THEM??? THEY OBVIOUSLY NEED THE HELP, MAYBE YOU OR SOMEONE YOU LOVE HAS NEVER SUFFERED FROM A DRUG ADDICTION, BUT I WORKED IN A REHAB WITH ADOLESCENTS, AND ITS NOT SOMETHING YOU JUST WAKE UP AND SAY, OKAY IM BETTER NOW....ITS NOT A BACK ACHE OR A HEADACHE! IT HAS BECOME A WAY OF LIFE, FOR THEM.....AND IT HAS SPUN OUT OF CONTROL....GIVE THE FAMILY A LITTLE CREDIT, FOR ASKING FOR HELP, AND GETTING IT!!! NOONE HAS THE RIGHT TO JUDGE IF SOMEONE IS A GOOD MOTHER OR NOT.....MY NATURAL MOTHER LEFT ME IN A CRIB FOR 2 WEEKS, I DEVELOPED SPINAL MENANGITIS, WAS DEAF AND PARALYZED AND HAD 3 CARDIAC ARESTS WHILE BEING LIFE STARRED, AT 6 WEEKS OLD.....AND TO THIS DAY I AM PERFECTLY NORMAL, BUT ENDED UP HAVING A DAUGHTER WITH SPINA-BIFIDA, AND HAVE HAD 13 SURGERIES, AND I HAVE NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER TO JUDGE WHAT MY NATURAL MOTHER WAS GOING THRU AT THE TIME, TO SAY SHE DIDNT DESERVE CHILDREN....PEOPLE DONT ALWAY AGREE WITH WHAT U DON AS A PARENT, BUT THE ONES WHO JUDGE, AND MAKE ASSUMPTIONS, ARE THE ONES WITH SKELATONS AND INSECURITIES OF THERE OWN.....JUST PRAY FOR THE GIRLS HEALTH, SO THEIR CHILDREN CAN BE HAPPY!!!!!
 I am not judging anyone. I am simply stating that the twins mother obviously has a problem too. Therefore, she needs some help and then she can take care of her daughters children. It is simply a suggestion and one I would definitely act upon!

February 7, 2008, 9:54 am CST

MOST DEFINITELY

Quote From: ramair

I, too have my doubts that the mom will take proper care of her grandchildren. Because, when Dr Phil asked her if she'd be willing to step up to the plate and give them good care, she said she'd already been doing so. Yelling, drinking and gambling? That's taking good care of those kids and setting a good example for them to follow? Give me a break!
 I totally agree. She is as much a part of this horrible situation as the twins!

February 7, 2008, 10:01 am CST

This is an exremely sad situation for those children, someone needs to step in.. However these women need to get clean for themselves first, not just the children. When they are doing well, in turn the children will be doing well. Addiction is a disease, & once your head is so foggy, you don't make the right decisions. Its not a choice right now, they are to deep. I hope they take advantage of the help Dr. Phil offers.

February 7, 2008, 10:08 am CST

Quote From: user25959

I watched both parts of the show about the twins and their drug abuse problem. Although I agree with the solution of having them go into rehab, frankly I was very surprised, that the person who initiated the whole intervention was not asked to help out with the children while the twins go into rehab. I'm sure there's more to the story, but it seems like Maria is Miss high and mighty wants no part of her family in the wedding (having her dad walking her down the aisle), doesn't want her sisters being part of the celebration. I think she should get off her high horse and be part of the solution as well. Dr. Phil I think you should have put some of the responsibility on her as well. It was also interesting that when one of the twins wanted to engage in a conversation regarding a phone call, which had to do with MISS MARIA moving out, so that her mom could sell the house, it seemed like it was quickly stopped and the topic shifted again to the twins etc. I believe, that Maria should be taking some responsibilities for the actions and if she wants the sisters to get help, she should put her foot forward as well!

This show was not ABOUT Maria so get off her back!! She was the one who got help for this family in the first place, in the best way she knew how, by calling the show!

Maria should not have to put HER life on hold because these twins decided to mess up their own lives....and besides, having dealt with addicted people myself in my life, I know that those with addictions are "soul-suckers" and can and will destroy everyone and everything in their paths just to get their own selfish needs met. They are masters at manipulation and guilting...and if you allow them to pull you in,  you lose yourself.  I also know that a person can spend their whole lives cleaning up after the addict...it's called "enabling" and it's ALWAYS a mistake because all it does is prolong the agony, and delay the addict's chance to get well. 

Maria deserves to have a nice, peaceful wedding without the fear of two drugged up family members acting like fools and turning what should be a happy occasion into a free-for-all while the twins pull all the attention onto themselves and away from the wedding couple!!  A wedding is a special day....who wants ugly memories? The twins may MEAN to be nice at the wedding, but they have no control over their behavior when they are under the influence...(and they are under the influence all the time!) The drug takes over.

Maria also deserves a happy life. SHE'S not the one who screwed up her life and she should not have to suffer the consequences of the messed up behaviors of the others!  I give her credit for not taking that path, and for making a good life for herself, despite the odds.

These twins will either get well...or they won't. But Maria can't do anything about their choices! Ultimately, they are responsible for whatever happens in their own lives.

February 7, 2008, 10:08 am CST

choices

just like the twins are, it angers me when people blame the doctors for being hooked on pills. the way  i understood it the pills were meant for her husband not her. the doctors not the one who decided to mis- use the prescription. i take alot of narcotics, and i do understand how easy overdose/addiction  can happen. i take my pills exactly how i am suppose to. and it works for me. i dont expect my dr to  come over and make sure i'm doing as perscribed, if i need that help then i should be in the hospital. i wish the twins and their family much success and happiness in the future, it wont be easy but it will be worth it. i can promise you that.  god bless you all and you'll all make it through this if you put your kids first.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last