Message Boards

Topic : 02/07 Pill Popping Twins, Part 2

Number of Replies: 296
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 01, 2008, 02:21:07 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues delving into the lives of twin sisters, Yvette and Yvonne, who abuse pain pills. They live with their mother, with whom they have a volatile relationship, and the household is filled with fighting, screaming, cursing and even passing out in front of their children. Their father, Timothy, a former drug addict, joins the show. Why do they become emotional upon seeing him? Next, find out who else Yvonne blames for her drug problem. Then, Dr. Phil presses the twins to face the truth. Will these sisters acknowledge the emotional impact that they are having on their young children and make a change? And, when faced with the ultimate choice, will Yvette and Yvonne choose life or death? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 29, 2008, 1:22 pm CST

02/07 Pill Popping Twins, Part 2

Quote From: bugsmommy

IT IS NOT A SPEECH PROBLEM OR A DRUG PROBLEM ALL OF YOU KNOW IT ALLSIT IS CALLED AN ACCENT IF YOU WOULD CONSIDER SOMETHING AS COMMON AS THAT FIRST.  NOT EVERYONE IN THE WHOLE UNITED STATES SPEAKS THE SAME YOU KNOW!  I GREW UP/ STILL RESIDE IN THE TOWN THAT HEY LIVE IN.  MATTER OF FACT, MY BROTHER AND I WENT TO ELEM SCHOOL WITH THEM.   ANYWAY, WE ARE FROM SOUTH, I MEAN REALLY SOUTH LOUISIANA, SEVERAL MILES FROM THE GULF.  WE HAVE A STRONG FRENCH INFLUENCE AS MANY OF OUR OLDER FOLKS SPEAK FRENCH.  SO THERE, IT IS NOT A 'PROBLEM', IT IS OUR ACCENT AND OUR CULTURE.  LET ME KNOW WHERE YOU ARE FROM SO THAT I MAY INSULT YOUR CULTURE AND BACKGROUND!!

I cannot thank you enough, bugsmommy. After the show, I spent two days on another site arguing the exact same thing. I am from the area as well, was walking through the room, heard the accents and froze stiff. I thought "Oh my God, they're from here!"

To the rest of you-we may not sound like you think we should, but we are by no means ignorant or uneducated.

Thank you, I have now said my piece and feel much better:)

March 6, 2008, 10:13 am CST

Reeks of Denial

Quote From: mzsuzyq2u

I am not condoning the grandmother's drinking and gambling by any means, but......She did say on yesterday's show that the reason she does these things is because of the tension in the house.  I really feel that if Yvette/Yvonne go and get the help they need and really work the program and want to recover, the grandmother is probably going to feel a load off her shoulders when it is only her and the grandchildren in the home and the tension very much minimized.  I am sure the grandmother loves those kids and will do the best she can with them for as long as necessary.  I would also like to think that Maria and Rosie will help do their part with the children as well.  The children themselves will be so much calmer without chaos in the home while the twins get the help they need. I sincerely hope things work out for the enire family and a lot of their issues are worked out for their sake and most importantly, the children's sake. 
It is really interesting that you bring this up because laying blame and projecting are two classic alcoholic/addict defense mechanisms that allow the person to continue in their sickness.
No matter if the grandmother has her daughters and their children in her house or not, her gambling and drinking will continue.  She's laying the blame on her children and i'm sure she's been doing it for a long time. 

No matter how well their lives improve, no matter how much easier things become the grandmother's disease will continue.  It is NOT her family's fault.  It seems she has you fooled as well.  The only people who can save this family are them with the true desire to recover and a good program to back it up.

I do agree with you though that I wish all of them recovery.

March 6, 2008, 10:51 am CST

About The Accents

Quote From: ahockeymum

I am a speech/language pathologist.  I listened to them closely also and it appeared that soemthing was present.  Sometimes, yes, things can be "familial".  Either environmentally or genetically so.  Children learn specific speech patterns from family, parents and siblings, as well as friends sometimes.  Also, it was unknown if there was a physical reason they had this difference, genetic or otherwise.  Was there an oral, nasal or pharyngeal structure that was different in each?  Was there specific neurological damage within each related to drinking and drug use?  I think they all sounded fairly good, but then again I work with people with deviant speech and language skills so normal is relative..... it may have well been dialectal as well as a learned speech pattern.
To all who have commented on Yvette & Yvonne's accents:

Please save your eloquent assessments.  The accent and the speech patterns you heard are indigenous to the residents of the Southern Louisiana town they live in.  Although I am not a speech therapist or professional in that field, I am fully qualified to make these statements because I grew up in that same town.  It is just how they speak!!  Its how most of the residents of that area speak.  It is a combination of the Cajun accent and the New Orleans accent. 

With that said, I can imagine how odd it must sound to someone who has never heard it before.  At 15 y/o I first noticed the accent when it was pointed out to me  who lived about an hour away.  I worked hard to correct that accent and I don't regret it for a minute. 

May 16, 2008, 11:24 am CDT

Twin status

Does anyone know the status of the twins per today? Did it work or are they still in the middle of it all?

June 3, 2008, 10:53 am CDT

hope

i feel really upset to see these two beautiful women in such a horrible situation! what is happening to them as of this moment? Are they cooperating? it has captured my curiousity, for the simple reason that i too was in the same situation. But because of my circumstances, i wasn't offered all the re hab or medical attention these ladies are recieving, rather,  i had to white knuckle it and finally have come out of the physical side of the monster of drug addiction. My number one motivation was my little boy. I realised it was either for me to stay in that situation and lose my son or my life or just wake up and come to some sort of awareness to straighten myself out. there are 3 ways to solve problems, to either ignore it, deny it or face it! I learned that facing it not only hurts but brings the best results! i hope the twins realise how wonderful life can be when others around you begin to see genuine change and progression, which results in others start to trust, respect and want your association. 

July 18, 2008, 5:07 am CDT

Yvonne and Yvette

As I am reading many of the messages I find some people really do not have an open mind. Yvonne and Yvette have struggled to make the correct choices for themselves and their children. This does not make them horrible parents, they are lost parents who need help! That's what Dr. Phil is all about! 

I am a mother and know how hard it is to raise children. I am also a child who has a( thankfully recovered) Drug  and Alcohol addicted mother. My mother has been clean and sober for over 4 years now. But she has been "dirty" for over 15 years! She has come off and on drugs through over half of my life.

My Mom waited until it was "too Late" for some of our family. My brother and I kept the faith but decided when we were fairly young that we would have to take charge of our own life with or without her there. Our Dad and Step Mom have always been there for us ( and NEVER said any bad  words about our Mom).

With the twins given the chance to make the right choices in their lives now, I feel we should always give JUGEMENT when the chioce has been made. Not before they get the choice. They made the wrong choice taking the drugs. Now they have the chance to get their head clean, and then they will see that the chioces were wrong.

My Mom has three grandchildren....  I live in Ireland now. She only gets to see my two children once a year.  My brother lives about an hours drive away, and he hasn't got a lot of time to collect her to see her other grandbaby. She says God has punished her for taking the Drugs and now she is paying for it. I told her it's not God Punishing her but giving her a reason to stay clean and sober, so when My children do see her she will be able to say these are my Grand babies and they love me! MY CHILDREN DO LOVE HER! Why? Because she made the RIGHT choice to be clean and sober.............. 

My brother and I have both told my Mom as long as she keeps making that right choice she will have so many people who love her........... but in reality........ I will love her no matter what!!!! That's what God has given me!  The Gift of making my own choices! I choose unconditional love!!! And so will the twins children. That is why people get angry. But that is why people must give them that one last hope and choice! Sometimes it is just all they need.

Thanks for taking the time to read my message!

Rebecca McAlinden

First | Prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | Next Page | Last Page