Message Boards

Topic : 02/08 "My Worst Valentine!"

Number of Replies: 150
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 01, 2008, 02:22:43 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
If you dread Valentine’s Day and don’t have a creative bone in your body, take heart, because Dr. Phil and Robin are here to help the romantically challenged! Denise has been married for 17 years and says her husband, Darren, never buys gifts or cards. She says he told her he loved her when they got married, and he’ll "let her know if it changes!" Robin and her married friends give the hapless hubby a crash course in courtship. You won’t believe his sweet surprise for his wife. Then, Jennifer wants a makeover so she can feel sexy as a mom, and Michelle wants her mechanic husband to clean up his look. Don’t miss Robin’s drab-to-fab makeovers for them! Plus, Stephanie says her family is fixated on the fact that she’s single at 33 and won’t have a date for Valentine’s Day. Her sister, Tiffany, says Stephanie’s biological clock is ticking away, but Stephanie says her relatives are ticking her off! See Robin’s great ideas on how to pamper yourself if you’re single on Valentine’s Day. Plus, Brett and Katie have only been married for six months, but their lives have taken a turn for the worse. Katie was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis a few months ago, and her engagement ring was stolen when their apartment was recently robbed. See the heart-warming surprises Dr. Phil and Robin have for the couple! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 2, 2008, 3:42 pm CST

Have to say

Mother's Day is for your Mother.  Period.  It should not be interpreted as meaning every woman who is a Mother should get a gift from everyone she knows.  Why pick such foolish battles?  My husband and I refuse to participate in any commercial enterprise that insists we buy each other something for such and such day.  Buying is buying, and buying has nothing to do with love.  Love is not measured in cards, gifts, money spent, money saved.  I am of the opinion that if people understood what love really was, they would not fight so much.  How much would you feel "loved" if someone was always mad at you because you did not buy them the right thing, at the right time?  Divorce attorneys make their fortunes from people who have never understood what really loving someone means.  Besides, if you were not good enough to marry Mr. Perfect, (whatever perfect is by your definition) what makes you think he was going to turn into Mr. Perfect?

February 2, 2008, 6:16 pm CST

Valentine's Day is for profit

As I read all of the responses, it makes me sad to think that a commercial money making day would evoke such trouble.  I am so sorry for all of you.

I do not think profits (someone else's) should determine happiness in relationships.

If it makes YOU happy to give, WHY NOT GIVE, and let it be the thing that makes you happy? I love to give, and never expect anything in return.  A lot of times, I do not get anything in return, but I am very happy to share. Your life is not defined by gifts, so please don't let this one day ruin a lifelong relationship.

Life is too short. I have cancer, so I know this for a fact. Take care of yourselves, and recognize what you saw in your significant other, so that you have something to hold onto during the bad times.

February 2, 2008, 6:47 pm CST

My New Year doesnt begin Till AFTER V-day

OMG.. I have been divorced and single for the up side of 17 years. I've raised my children and Im still young enough to enjoy life...... Im gainfully employed.... always have been.... Im not hard to look at..... and yet.... I remain single? This has plagued me for way too long....... the truth is I love Valentines Day... in theory.... but its really difficult to embrace a day that makes one (no punn intended) a single gal feel so completely insignificant. Ya can't help but wonder....... why????? Truth be known this is a daily thing... but VDay makes it impossible to escape....... Each year I have noticed that once I get past V-day.... my "New Year" actually begins. The whole clean slate, starting a new that is usually celebrated on Dec 31st-Jan01... doesnt happen for me until Feb 15th *smile*

L~

February 2, 2008, 8:25 pm CST

My Worse Valentine's

I never made a big deal out fo valentine's day, to me it was just another day that came and went. Then, three years ago had to be the worse Valentine day ever. My nephew passed away from the flu on Feb. 9 and we buried him on Feb. 14. So, now Valentine's day has even less meaning for me.

February 3, 2008, 3:28 am CST

Gifts what a laugh

I have been married for 11 years and never ever get a gift.  No anniversary gifts, no valentine gifts, no birthdays, etc I have cried many tears to make my husband more romantic but he just is not romantic at all.  I am very romantic my star sign is Libra and we are known to be very loveable.  I wish i had a romantic husband because i think my marriage is falling apart because of no romance.

February 3, 2008, 4:27 am CST

valentine shmalentine!

I don't do Valentine's Day or Christmas. Those 2 days have become so centered on material things. I'd rather go to WalMart the day AFTER Christmas or V-day and get lots of candy at half-price!

Seriously, a gift means so much more to me if it's spontaneous and not an obligation. I know it's cliche, but the little things matter most, like when you're sick and your mate brings you ice cream in bed.

February 3, 2008, 4:32 am CST

Stephanie

Oh, yeah, by the way...what's this about Stephanie's family being fixated on getting her a date for Valentine's Day because her biological clock is ticking???  What the....???  Since when is Stephanie's uterus anyone's business but her own????  I wouldn't tolerate that kind of nosiness from anyone, family or not!!!!!

February 3, 2008, 6:56 am CST

Valentine's Day

Last year, Feb 14, 2007, was my best Valentine's Day. My new husband bought this tiny mailbox from the local drug store, and for about 2 weeks, at random, he would put surprises in it for me. At first it was daily, usually in the morning. Then he skipped a few days, then there it was at dinner time. Then one day, the maibox appeared several times. Cute little cards, one tiny piece of candy, never anything like jewelry, or money, just little-tiny-small gifts. It was the best surprise every. One that went on for days and days. Hopefully, he will continue this year. It was so much fun.  (and I am over 50 years of age/you kids could learn a thing or two about romance from the AARP generation).

February 3, 2008, 7:13 am CST

your show

Dr. Phil,

I'm a 52 yr old recovering drug addict who lives with my 79yr old mother. I was a heroin addict for 13yrs from 1972-1985 & then a crack addict for many yrs later. Finally, after 3 times in prison & numerous jail terms & turning 50yrs (most of which was drug induced), I am now a productive member of society who is working full time. I have never been able to hold a job for more than a year or two at the most. I am now working for the same electrical contractor for over four years.

Now, to get to  the point. My mother LOVES your show (I like it too). With my past, & our previous family life (before mom remarried), OH & my brother's family (which is very disfunctional), we relate to many of your shows.

Too bad you can't help my brother. He has two daughters that are 28yrs & 30yrs old who live at home, work,  & hardly (if ever)  pay for any rent, food, utilities, or anything else. My brother is a good guy who was trapped into marraige by my nasty sister-in-law who also isn't workig anymore. 

Thanks for your show,

Gary

Tamarac, Florida

February 3, 2008, 7:36 am CST

it is always the worst

hi,

why!!! becouse i spend it alone , couse my love is in jordan and i am in UAE "Emirates"

so i spend the valantine alone .... or we shat at the phone couse i work and study at the same time .... and i dont have time to chating in the msn....

i dont know how to send gifts....

and i dont know wht he likes as a gift !!!!!

but iam sure that he love me more than any thing else and if we were closer he might do somethigs and for sure i'll do any thing to make him happy...

i love majdi

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last