Message Boards

Topic : 02/08 "My Worst Valentine!"

Number of Replies: 150
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 01, 2008, 02:22:43 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
If you dread Valentine’s Day and don’t have a creative bone in your body, take heart, because Dr. Phil and Robin are here to help the romantically challenged! Denise has been married for 17 years and says her husband, Darren, never buys gifts or cards. She says he told her he loved her when they got married, and he’ll "let her know if it changes!" Robin and her married friends give the hapless hubby a crash course in courtship. You won’t believe his sweet surprise for his wife. Then, Jennifer wants a makeover so she can feel sexy as a mom, and Michelle wants her mechanic husband to clean up his look. Don’t miss Robin’s drab-to-fab makeovers for them! Plus, Stephanie says her family is fixated on the fact that she’s single at 33 and won’t have a date for Valentine’s Day. Her sister, Tiffany, says Stephanie’s biological clock is ticking away, but Stephanie says her relatives are ticking her off! See Robin’s great ideas on how to pamper yourself if you’re single on Valentine’s Day. Plus, Brett and Katie have only been married for six months, but their lives have taken a turn for the worse. Katie was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis a few months ago, and her engagement ring was stolen when their apartment was recently robbed. See the heart-warming surprises Dr. Phil and Robin have for the couple! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 3, 2008, 10:30 am CST

my worse valentine

hi Dr. Phil and Robin

Me and My husband Bill are married 12years already and my worse valentine is when I had to beg my husband to get  me something that shows he loves me and now every valentines day he brings something home for me whether it is a rose or a card  or he would say lets go for a night out  which would be ok with me.  For me its not the gift, it is the thought that counts .   hope that you and Robin have a wonderful valentines day  (TOGETHER) Be Mine Teddy 1 Happy Valentines Day

See you on Valentines Day

Hannelore Wilson 

February 3, 2008, 5:50 pm CST

Valentine's day

Well I'm 52 SWM, and this day means nothing to me. I'm shocked so many people are married and their partner can't or won't take a moment to honor them with a card or a flower. It's so sad. I'd love to be in a situation where I could do that for someone. Dr. Phil--please know many of us singles out there KNOW we will NEVER have someone special in our lives for all sorts of reasons. I've never married, I'm still a virgin, and have never had a girlfriend. Illness and poverty kept me out of the dating pool for years. If I told my story, no one would believe it.  Those members of your audience who are married or have someone don't know how fast it can be taken from them. Death comes to everyone, and it usually happens when you least expect it. Moral--live in your todays, not your tomorrows, and please be grateful you have at least one person you can call special each day. A loveless and sexless life is not any fun. I've lived, but I never got to love. Am I bitter? No--I just realize it's very late now, and most likely no one is ever going to come my way.

Live my life just one day, and you'd be truly changed I promise.

February 3, 2008, 6:54 pm CST

worst valetines day

i just wanted to write and tell my worst valentines story. Last valentines day on feb.14.2007 i was on my way to work at 6am looking forward to a short shift at my job then home to spend the day with my common law spouse and then dinner out., i was crossing the parking lot of my work when i was hit from behind by a snow plow truck. then when i was laying under the plow screaming of course he put his truck in gear and went over me again forward. both legs broke and my pelvis was fractured, the ambulance people were wonderful and instead of a bottle of wine for  valentines day i got a lot of shots of morphine and a  month hospital stay. not even my valentines dinner. i am home now and recovering but i sure hope this years valentines day is a lot nicer. even though my spouse is working that night so i wont get dinner out i am hoping we rhave a nice breakfast .

February 3, 2008, 11:21 pm CST

single is not worse than anything else!

Quote From: ramair

Sounds like Stephanie's relatives want her to provide them with grandkids, nieces and nephews. If these people want kids to play with, they ought to do volunteer work along those lines. And, leave Stephanie alone. It isn't her job to supply them with little playmates.
so many people treat singles as if they are not okay.. My father used to show my picture to the guys at the bar because he wanted grandchildren. People used to ask me all the time why I wasn't married.. now they don't. I guess that means that they don't wonder anymore.. they know why I am not! : )
But I really hate valentines' day and all the holidays that exclude singles. It gets worse when you are older. even friends who are married have problems being friends with us because their husbands can't handle visiting a woman without a man to talk to. It all hurts and I wish married couples would be more sensitive to us. Even my church isn't very sensitive. Being is single is not the worst thing that could happen to Stephanie.. it can be hard especially when relatives push you. But it is much better than being in a bad marriage! I agree with the suggestion.. hey relatives give to those children who are missing attention. I do!

February 4, 2008, 9:57 pm CST

roses for valentines day

Quote From: bluhrig

Darren, never buys gifts or cards. She says he told her he loved her when they got married, and he'll "let her know if it changes!

This is just plain mean.  It sounds as if he's chuckling to himself at having bested her.  I wonder if he acts in a loving way?  No love talk during sex?

We were married 5 years and hubby came in with roses and I said " what did you do wrong?"  I was right  he had gotten a speeding ticket.  A dozen roses were always expensive that money went towards a house for us to buy. Mothers day I got flowers to put in the yard. When we got our own house it was a rose or something else that returned every year. 

We both had a previous marriage and they ran on us, so to have a husband that came home and for him to have a wife waiting for him and taking care of our sons and enjoying our family not needing to go out drinking every chance, finding babysitters. priorities people. He loved me enough to come home everynight and show me his love I in return was able to return that.. A bunch of roses or cards donot prove love. ACTIONS DO........  He will never win any prizes as a romantic and I accept that.   But when I had cancer he was there.  He took care of me he shielded me protected me. HE LOVED ME.  He saw me through my stemcell transplant. He cooked for me, healthy food, did my laundry, encouraged me every step I was able to take alone. Or I could have roses??? ... Think not... Jan

February 5, 2008, 2:38 am CST

8 years...and I get great Valentine's

Well, my husband and I have been married about 8 years now. He's awesome at remembering to get something for me. From great cards to clothing to roses. But, It's me that feels I haven't been a great "Valentine". I struggle each year to purchase something nice for Christmas---only to get that stress out of the way and then WHAM...valentine's day is here and I'm struggling again. For some women...Valentine's Day is fun for them and their mate; however, I sometimes dread it because I have no clue what to get (except a card). I know, get him some chocolate or get a silky pair of boxers...but I want to give a material gift that he will remember and cherish. Any ideas? Good luck to all you lovers out there...I'm sitting here in WV wondering what to get...

Beth

February 5, 2008, 9:08 pm CST

My Worst Valentine

Well I have been married to my second husband for almost 3 years now. He is disabled he had a car accident he had a stroke lost 1/3 of his brain. is paralzed on his left side. I do everything for my family. My husband has never given me a Valentine's Day. He has never taken me out for Valentine's Day. He does not do Valentine's Day. My first husband love that day. He did everything right on that day. But he passed away,and now I have a husband who does nothing.

February 6, 2008, 9:50 am CST

Men need Valentine's Day!

Quote From: mindyh42

My husband and I decided years ago that we are not going to let card companies tell us when to tell us that we have to express our love for each other.  The price of flowers doubles even triples during this time and we just don't do the Valentines Day thing.

I would agree with you only if men knew how to do things without someone telling them to. Men need that day to keep them on their toes.Rarely does my boyfriend know how to express himself.  And I at least  can count on one or two days out the year where Iknow in some way he will show me how he feels. Maybe one day I can stop celebrating Valentine's day when he figures out that you don't need a holiday to do something thoughtful, but until then.................

February 6, 2008, 11:02 am CST

02/08 "My Worst Valentine!"

Quote From: beth1024

Well, my husband and I have been married about 8 years now. He's awesome at remembering to get something for me. From great cards to clothing to roses. But, It's me that feels I haven't been a great "Valentine". I struggle each year to purchase something nice for Christmas---only to get that stress out of the way and then WHAM...valentine's day is here and I'm struggling again. For some women...Valentine's Day is fun for them and their mate; however, I sometimes dread it because I have no clue what to get (except a card). I know, get him some chocolate or get a silky pair of boxers...but I want to give a material gift that he will remember and cherish. Any ideas? Good luck to all you lovers out there...I'm sitting here in WV wondering what to get...

Beth
Get a red basket, preferably heart-shaped, or paint a plain one red. Put some red shredded paper in it. Put anything you think he'd like, CD's, DVD's, whatever, wrapped in red paper. Add some non-perishable food he likes, candy, cookies, crackers, jerkey, whatever he likes. And, wrap it in red cellephane. I've done that for my husband. I even found some wrapped chocolate lips.

February 6, 2008, 3:43 pm CST

02/08 "My Worst Valentine!"

You know, ya'll ought to look up the origin of Valentine's Day. It's very interesting. And I think St. Valentine was a very brave priest. If nothing else, we all ought to think of him on that day. He gave his life in the name of LOVE!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last