Message Boards

Topic : 07/21 Lies and Betrayal

Number of Replies: 828
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 08, 2008, 12:23:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/14/08) When you get married, you look forward to a life filled with love, happiness and security. But what do you do if you find out your spouse has been telling you lies and is someone completely different than the person you thought you knew? Elizabeth says her husband of three years, Matt, is a pathological liar, a con man and an alcoholic. She says he has lied about everything from what he does for a living to dying of cancer so that she would marry him. Matt says Elizabeth is a sociopath, and he accuses her of molesting her 12-year-old son. When Dr. Phil interrogates them with tough questions, will the truth come out? In an effort to sift through the mudslinging and get to the truth, Matt and Elizabeth agree to take a lie detector test. One of the two was deceitful in answering every question. Find out who. Next, hear from Randy and Rhonda, a couple who took Matt in and are caring for him because they believe he may be living the last phase of his life. Will Matt's shocking statements change their view of him? Dr. Phil has a strong warning for this couple. Then, Matt and Elizabeth are currently separated and negotiating custody of their two young daughters. See the argument that ensues outside the courthouse when Elizabeth accuses Matt of sleeping in the same bed with Rhonda. And, what shocking statement does Matt make about his daughters? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 13, 2008, 2:07 pm CST

02/14 Lies and Betrayal

Quote From: marianparoo

Good point.
dido good point...

February 14, 2008, 3:25 am CST

MY WORDS TOO!!

Quote From: waihini1

OMG! This subject is near to me and my home.

I too married the grand faker- he did all the "right things" when we met, dated, were engaged and the first year to almost 2 yrs we were married, then close to our 2nd anniversary, he warped into someone I didn't recognize. He became distant and cold towards me, all romance halted except for the sex, of course he still wanted that (back then anyway, not now). All the cards he sent, be it ecards or real ones stopped, he didn't want to take me on 3 vacations a year, but now it was down to ONE and it was always some place HE wanted to go, I had no say in it. I found various "clues" that pointed toward him cheating but never could really prove it totally, it was just an insidious feeling that hung in the air between us.

He has his own cell phone and got calls in the middle of the night, one time I got into his voice mail and found some female voice left a message that said, hey sexy, I miss you call me soon. I confronted him about this message and he claimed he had NO idea who that was and no he wasn't cheating, BUT from that time on he made damn sure he turned his phone off at night, hid it from me and if it was visible he deleted all the call history on it, so I didn't see who he was calling or who was calling him.

I have tried over and over to communicate with him about problems that I see we have, tried to get him to counseling with me too (he went one time then refused to go again as "he didn't have any problems and didn't need to go". Each time I tried to tell him of my unhappiness, he would turn things around on me, and make it sound like I was crazy or he would get mad and tell me he is going to divorce me. This has been going on now for almost THREE yrs. I cannot keep living like this, this man behaves like he hates me not loves me- he ignores me most of the time he is home, the other times he acts all nice nice so he can manipulate me into giving him sex once a month! I am not allowed to see my family and have to spend time with his family constantly- they come first in his life, always will and I am not considered part of this family unit, nor are my children or grandchildren by this man

All I can say to you is leave if you can as things will only get worse and you will only get more and more unhappy.

OMG...YOUR EXACT STORY could have been copied from my journals.  His behavior, what he did, his reaction....the verbal and emotional abuse.  The lies, the dishonesty....same, same same!

Hon, it doesn't get better, you are so right, so please take your own advice.  Save yourself from this hell.........leave NOW!!  Don't waste anymore time.  It isn't easy but it SURE is a happier life x 1000!!

BTW....if you think you are ever going to get any answers from him, YOU WON'T!  He will NEVER EVER provide you with what you need to heal.  Heal yourself!!!  Go find the happiness that YOU deserve!

February 14, 2008, 6:12 am CST

02/14 Lies and Betrayal

Quote From: our4sons

IMO, yes. I believe that's why those things are no longer admissible. They're just not fully reliable.

The reason that lie detector's aren't admissable in court is because they aren't as reliable as most people believe. Although many believe their accuracy to be in the range of 90 to 95 percent, their true range of accuracy falls to about 63 percent.

Polygraphs measure physiological responses: blood pressure, pulse, respiration and skin conductivity.

If a person is normally nervous or anxious and takes the test, their results will be inconclusive because the graph will go all over the place. On the flip side, if a person is relaxed and calm when taking a polygraph, their test results will more often than not show as truthful, even if they are horrendous liars.

This Matt guy certainly gives the impression that maintaining a modicum of calm during one of these tests wouldn't be difficult...I really feel for Elizabeth and those poor people that he's conning.

People like Matt feel nothing for people other than themselves, so in the long run perhaps it would be best for their children to have little to no contact with him. Can you imagine having to deal with a father like that on a daily basis? I do hope that this all works out best for the children in the end, because they are the ones who suffer the most in the end.

February 14, 2008, 6:25 am CST

Lies and betrayals

Information about a person's education falls under the right to privacy law.  The  University of Michigan would not release the information to Dr. Phil, a television host, by his own admission not a practicing doctor of anything.  I think the whole situation is made up.

February 14, 2008, 6:58 am CST

Pathological liar...

Matt is obviously lying about Elisabeth molesting his son.  Pathological liars can range from lying to lie (about things that don't matter, like saying they brushed their hair when they didn't) when telling the truth is very easy to lying to manipulate other people.  The latter may be a symptom of Anti-Social Personality disorder (APD) or Conduct Disorder (CD)- the liar is goal-oriented or manipulative and doesn't care about other people.  That's what I basically know about it.

Elisabeth should run from this guy- if he's a compulsive liar, he's dangerous.  I wouldn't even waste my time with someone who could ruin my life with his lies.  Your better off alone, even if he gets help, its no guarantee that he'll change.   You desserve someone honest and who cares about you, not some jerk who uses you- sick or not.

February 14, 2008, 7:15 am CST

creepy

that was the creepiest dude ever.  the dry mouth by the end of the show (spit all over his lips) just shows dr. phil was right about the drinking.  him sleeping with that couple makes them as creepy as he is!!  i  feel bad for the wife because he obviously has been manipulating her from day one.  she should've realized this a long time ago.  it is unfortunate he wasn't figured out before there were two more kids involved!  i pray everyone is safe when they return home.  i'm guessing he also lied about not wanting anything to do with the children!  people like him stay involved in order to torture the other parent!

February 14, 2008, 7:28 am CST

02/14 Lies and Betrayal

Quote From: saucy20

The reason that lie detector's aren't admissable in court is because they aren't as reliable as most people believe. Although many believe their accuracy to be in the range of 90 to 95 percent, their true range of accuracy falls to about 63 percent.

Polygraphs measure physiological responses: blood pressure, pulse, respiration and skin conductivity.

If a person is normally nervous or anxious and takes the test, their results will be inconclusive because the graph will go all over the place. On the flip side, if a person is relaxed and calm when taking a polygraph, their test results will more often than not show as truthful, even if they are horrendous liars.

This Matt guy certainly gives the impression that maintaining a modicum of calm during one of these tests wouldn't be difficult...I really feel for Elizabeth and those poor people that he's conning.

People like Matt feel nothing for people other than themselves, so in the long run perhaps it would be best for their children to have little to no contact with him. Can you imagine having to deal with a father like that on a daily basis? I do hope that this all works out best for the children in the end, because they are the ones who suffer the most in the end.

"The reason that lie detector's aren't admissable in court is because they aren't as reliable as most people believe. "

Exactly.

February 14, 2008, 7:30 am CST

RUN RUN RUN...

Matt will never get help because he really believes he doesn't need it ! The people hes living with need to take the police home with them and put Matt out of there house! HE"S DANGEROUS! Elisabeth needs to hope and pray Matt really means it when he says she will never see him again. If she doesn't keep the kids away, she will have one or all of her kids just like him.

February 14, 2008, 7:33 am CST

Common sense

OMG!  This guy should be locked up!  I feel so bad for all involved especially those two little girls.  They don't have a chance in life if this psycho is a part of their life.  He should be court ordered to pay child support but, have absolutely NO rights to these innocent children.  It makes me absolutely sick to see someone like that re-produce.  He is the kind of person that ruins our children.  Elizabeth, Randy & Rhonda need to run for their lives!  Save yourselves and get that psycho out of all you lives!!!!!!!

Sincerely

February 14, 2008, 7:38 am CST

Get out !

Quote From: mgrlady

OMG...YOUR EXACT STORY could have been copied from my journals.  His behavior, what he did, his reaction....the verbal and emotional abuse.  The lies, the dishonesty....same, same same!

Hon, it doesn't get better, you are so right, so please take your own advice.  Save yourself from this hell.........leave NOW!!  Don't waste anymore time.  It isn't easy but it SURE is a happier life x 1000!!

BTW....if you think you are ever going to get any answers from him, YOU WON'T!  He will NEVER EVER provide you with what you need to heal.  Heal yourself!!!  Go find the happiness that YOU deserve!

If your life is the same as Matt and Elisabeth....Then practice what you preach, GET OUT! What are YOU waiting for?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last