Message Boards

Topic : 07/17 Living on a Prayer

Number of Replies: 986
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 08, 2008, 12:25:06 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/15/08) What happens when a parent’s agenda becomes so extreme that his or her children are forced to live a harsh, stoic existence? Dan and Janna are a college-educated couple married for 15 years with seven children, ages ranging from 2 weeks to 14. They have no income, no heat, no running water and are about to lose their house. Dan and Janna believe that their primitive lifestyle is God’s will, and that they are being led by the Lord. Janna’s mom, Carol, and stepdad, Rich, are worried about the health of their grandchildren. Are they eating enough? Are they warm enough? They say because the children are home schooled, they live in a cult-like home environment, and are not exposed to the outside world. Carol and Rich are willing to bail this family out one last time, but why are Dan and Janna refusing the help? After eight failed businesses, why won’t Dan get a job to support his family? Where will they go when they are forced out of their home? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 9, 2008, 12:18 am CST

This family needs help

This is the kind of family that gives home schooling a bad rap.  It is not typical of how home school families live.  Most of us are very social and have all the comforts of modern life.  As far as it being "God's will" that they live like that ,as a Christian I can't understand why they would think that.  This is going to be an interesting show.

February 9, 2008, 4:15 am CST

02/15 Living on a Prayer

I hope someone steps in on behalf of the children and take them out of that "home" and then charge those parents with neglect and abuse.   Those parents might end up killing those children because their "God" told them they need to be saved.

Why are those people allowed to live like that...WITH children?

February 9, 2008, 6:57 am CST

Living on a Prayer

I have a brother and sister in law who have been living in my mother in laws basement since 1994.  They have 2 beautiful daughers who are now 16 and 11.  My brother in law has not worked since 1994 and has maintained the fact that the Lord is going to give them the million dollar house and all that they need one day.  The girls were being home schooled until a neighbor went over and found the basement swarming with flying bugs.  She called DSS and they made them put the girls into public school.  The oldest daughter was kept back a grade but the youngest was only in the 1st grade so she was ok.  They have never been able to have friends over or have any kind of live of their own outside of church.  I was always taught that God will help those that help themselves.  Sitting on YOUR duff all day long is not helping yourself or your family.  It is being lazy and dependent on someone else to provide for the family that you brought into this world and that God gave YOU to protect and provide for.  As you can tell, this has alway been a touchy subject for me.  Get a life PEOPLE!

February 9, 2008, 7:49 am CST

Led by the Lord?

1 Timothy 5:8

But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

I am sorry, but if these people are being led, they are not being led by what God has said in his word.  I don't believe God leads people contrary to what the Bible says.

I didn't say this . . . God said it . . . this man (Dan) has denied the faith and is worse than an infidel.  I don't know how God judges the wife Janna, except . . . 

Romans 14:12

So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

I am concerned for the children's sake.

Lady

February 9, 2008, 8:17 am CST

How is living on a Prayer making up for their fianances?

How are they purchasing groceries and clothes? The Picture that is displayed shows them very well dressed. How can parents not work and support their family? Are they living on an inheritance?

February 9, 2008, 8:43 am CST

02/15 Living on a Prayer

I wonder how they have come to the conclusion that this is God's will? It sounds like they are CHOOSING this lifestyle themselves. It sounds like they are not trying to do the very best they can to take care of thier children. This sounds kind of irresponsible and extreme to me. Oh well, maybe I'll feel different after I see the show. I can only hope so.

February 9, 2008, 9:43 am CST

america & self-determination

Many corners of our society believe that "government" doesn't have to right to dictate how people should live or raise their children.  Not that much different than those that believe in shutting down all the psychiatric facilities & turning the non-medicated patients on the streets--it's the citizen's RIGHT to be free to do whatever they want.  Rights require responsibilities.  Those rights should end when they bump up againt the rest of society.  When we are going to be required to care for these children or help support this family--we should have a right to say what is going on.  It's not any different than the polygamists that have all their "extra" wives & children on assistance.  Once we start putting tax money into the support of any of these life-styles, it becomes our business.  Course I don't necessarily believe in the inalienable right to reproduce even though you have no actual job to support the children.

February 9, 2008, 10:05 am CST

02/15 Living on a Prayer

I think the parents of the seven children should be arrested for neglect.   These children should be placed with family or in a safer environment by the courts away from the parents.  (1) I think the parents have a mental condition.  (2) Many times people with mental conditions think everyone else is evil so they withdraw from society. 

February 9, 2008, 11:33 am CST

Living on a Prayer with others money

If they couldn't afford one child, what made them think they were lucky with SEVEN!

I guess it was God's will that they would be on Dr. Phil so he could bail them out!

Sympathy isn't what they deserve. Both of them should find jobs, put the children

into school so they can be taught by people who have degree's and they can be part

of society. I believe this would be under the category of abuse.

February 9, 2008, 11:58 am CST

Living On A Prayer

Yeah this family needs alot of prayers. I am sure their self pride is preventing them from getting the financial help they need from extended family members (and they should not have to be in the position to have to help). Their pride has closed their heart and mind to wise and sensible living.  

The first thought that went through my mind is that is alot of kids to provide for. Businesses fail alot and that is no excuse to continue to have more kids. They definately need a better plan then the one they have!

It really is troublesome when people throw the term "God's Will" around like they have! It is their wrong definition of "God's Will" and it has also been their excuse for continuing to live the way they have!  

My understanding of God's will is it means the same for everyone who chooses to follow God. God's plan does not lead families in the ditch, humans do that on their own will!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last