Message Boards

Topic : 07/17 Living on a Prayer

Number of Replies: 986
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 08, 2008, 12:25:06 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/15/08) What happens when a parent’s agenda becomes so extreme that his or her children are forced to live a harsh, stoic existence? Dan and Janna are a college-educated couple married for 15 years with seven children, ages ranging from 2 weeks to 14. They have no income, no heat, no running water and are about to lose their house. Dan and Janna believe that their primitive lifestyle is God’s will, and that they are being led by the Lord. Janna’s mom, Carol, and stepdad, Rich, are worried about the health of their grandchildren. Are they eating enough? Are they warm enough? They say because the children are home schooled, they live in a cult-like home environment, and are not exposed to the outside world. Carol and Rich are willing to bail this family out one last time, but why are Dan and Janna refusing the help? After eight failed businesses, why won’t Dan get a job to support his family? Where will they go when they are forced out of their home? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 9, 2008, 11:58 am CST

Living on a Prayer

I have to say that this is not the way traditional homeschooled families live. I have been homeschooling our son for over three years and he is not secluded from the world. We are a religious family that strives to live a good life. I hope this doesn't do more damage to the reputation of homeschooling families.

February 9, 2008, 12:38 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show

A Doctor Living On Phil Prayer. Doctor Phil we all know that we all go to church every Sunday to Worship----

our Lord and Savior. I know that I do go to church every Sunday Morning. See you on Friday February 15th,-

2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 9, 2008, 2:31 pm CST

Homeschooling

As a parent who homeschools my children, I find this kind of story offensive because it appears to make it sounds like homeschooling parents are cultic.  Most homeschooling parents are just as normal as a public school parent, but like any part of society, there are always people who are abusive, controlling, eccentric and otherwise strange.  Their story isn't that unusual.  I have known several families where they have any number of excuses for not working, ranging from stress to religious reasons.  Most of these aren't homeschooling folks at all. 

Homeschooling is not synonymous with cultic.  It is unfortunate that some cultic persons tend toward homeschooling for purposes of control because it besmirches the names of all the legitimate homeschooling parents out there who choose homeschooling for the educational, family and emotional benefits that it can provide. 

I've seen many posts that have already made judgments of how these people should have their children taken from them.  If children are being cared for, physically and emotionally, there is no law requiring electricity, heat or work to be a parent.  It seems these people area already being tried and found guilty when the show has yet to be seen and the information yet to be given.  My parents lived on prayers for a a time, as have I when it was needed.  They were working as were we, and people not knowing the needs provided food without being asked or petitioned.  The way this situation has been presented, I disagree with these people's notions of not working and trusting God.  But without seeing the show, I don't really know if the man or his wife have sought employment.  I see many people ready cast judgment, yet wonder how many of those would like to have their lives so closely scrutinized as these people will have theirs after this show.  And how many of you would like to have so much judgment made about you by people who don't even know you based on a paragraph clearly written to get people to make assumptions and start talking. 

Perhaps I'm defensive because I homeschool, but if the assertions presented in the paragraph are true, I wouldn't want to be associated with those people.  I'm defensive because I know that gossip can make any truth look sordid just by the way it is presented, and lives are affected.  I haven't posted anything is a year but felt I had to speak up.  I hate sensationalism and it seems that the shows are becoming more about sensation than problem solving.  I hope this is not one of those.  I liked the Dr. Phil show because it was about helping people.  Recently, it has seemed more about sensation. 

February 9, 2008, 3:27 pm CST

I agree with housewife52

I totally agree with housewife52. These adults need to have their children removed ASAP!  It sounds like: The parents want to present an image that they are all good & holy in all they are doing. They are only living from Gods good earth. But God never promise anything to anyone but "LIFE".

What a person does with their life is their choice. The children need to know what is real out in this world. They need to have friends, family and a social life. And they need an education The mom can't be too smart to allow her husband to live  life this way.

How can anyone live without water, heat,food and especially without an income!  It really makes me angry that the children have to live with parents like these two! The husband needs to snap into reality and go out into the real world and get a JOB! Shame on him for making his family live this way! You can have religion and believe in God and teach your children about our LORD Jesus but don't think that is all you need to survive!  We believe in GOD. But I would never live life that way and expect God to take care of all things  in my life. They are foolish! Those parents need help.

February 9, 2008, 4:23 pm CST

Living On A Prayer

Quote From: globrookin

I think the parents of the seven children should be arrested for neglect.   These children should be placed with family or in a safer environment by the courts away from the parents.  (1) I think the parents have a mental condition.  (2) Many times people with mental conditions think everyone else is evil so they withdraw from society. 

I get so frustrated everytime I hear someone use the Bible or God as an excuse for their behaviour.  They need to seriously get off their butts and join reality.  Providing for a family doesn't mean, starving them, letting them wear worn out clothing or inappropriate clothing for the weather, and segregating them socially.  Where are Family Services when this stuff becomes known.  Why do people simply turn away and wash their hands of it because "it's none of their business..." !  Being kind to others and treating them as we would be treated ourselves, makes it our business.  Someone has to speak out for these kids, and I'm glad they're ending up on the Dr. Phil show.  He's going to have to get right in their face because these people tend to be "thick" when it comes to admitting anything, or making changes.

Audrey

February 9, 2008, 5:24 pm CST

Prayers don't fill your stomach or keep you from freezing to death!

If you can't afford to raise 7 children then they shouldn't have had any!!

People like that don't DESERVE kids!

Why have 7 children with some LOSER that won't work??

Does this woman not have any self esteem at all that she's staying with this idiot for...........what??

What is the attraction??

Why isn't SHE working too??

Why aren't these children in PUBLIC SCHOOL if these parents can't afford to feed, clothe or keep a roof over their heads?? Home schooling costs $$$ especially for 7 children!

Both of them should be WORKING!!

And they have COLLEGE DEGREES??

PLEASE!

That is way more than I started with as a single parent! I was a high school DROP OUT, got my GED and WORKED my butt off to provide for my children!!

I've wiped old people's rear ends, I've worked in convenience stores......roofing too! I went to school when I could however I could to try to better myself and my family!

I worked 3 jobs when I needed to!! I got 3 hrs sleep a night IF I was lucky!

When you have children you do WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO to take care of them and to mold them into wonderful well balanced adults!

You can't keep children isolated, hungry, cold!! What is wrong with these people???

I KNOW what that feels like! I grew up that way and I know what its like, what kind of scars that leaves on children! They need a LOT of HELP! (and nobody can bail them out but themselves.....it sounds like the parents only ENABLE and not HELP them!)

Get them Dr Phil! Drill some sense into both of them!

I hope these children are now somewhere SAFE and WARM in a home filled with LOVE.....unconditional HEALTHY LOVE!

If they aren't, send them to ME Dr Phil, you have my contact info!!!! and I'll take all 7 of them right now and give them all they NEED.

February 9, 2008, 7:22 pm CST

02/15 Living on a Prayer

Give me a break.  Is this the perfect excuse to not work and let others provide?  Grow up and get a grip.

February 9, 2008, 7:31 pm CST

What were they thinking

What is wrong with home-schooling? Nothing at all!  My in-laws have done that very thing with some of their children because they live on a dairy farm, way out in "cow country" and too far to send their children to a school, but they are NOT shut off from society.  Home-schooling does not make a family cult-ish, but possibly the motives behind how they are handling the situation could be.

Since this family of 9 don't have running water or heat, I can see how that would make it look cult-like, but that doean't mean much by itself. Has anyone ever heard of blankets or bottled water?!  What did our fore-parents do to survive without heat or running water? Hasn't anyone out there in the "real world" ever hear of the Amish? They don't, as a whole, have electricity from an outside facility, some have running water while others don't, and they "home-school" their children. Different though they may be from the rest of the world, they are not cult-ish.

Maybe this family use a wood-burning stove for heat and cooking. I knew of a man living in NC who did not have electricity, but lived in a camper/shanty --so what! Every grandparent wonders if their children or grandchildren are eating enough or are warm. That in itself doesn't make the situation cult-like either.
What does concern me is WHY the parents will not go look for work and stick with it, so that they CAN provide for their children, as regular civilized people do!

As long as the children are NOT in tattered clothes but are clean, and dressed suffiently, and physically well, then the financial responsibility should be addressed. As long as the parents are able to work, they should put every effort into making sure they are NOT evicted from their home and be able to provide a clean, healthy environment for all of the members in that family. If the children are not being abused (mistreated, ignored, or undernourished) then all the grandparents should worry about is how the parents are going to financially provide for those 7 children that THEY brought into this world.

Claiming the way this family lives to be "God's Will" is detestable! God desires that we live life abundantly. If they are too lazy to get out there and find work, let's not claim it as being "God's will," but call it as it is, please.

"shender156" said on February 9, "I was always taught that God will help those that help themselves." but that is NOT in scripture as many would like to think.  Ben Franklin came up with it in Poor Richard's Almanac in 1757 by saying, "God helps those who help themselves."

I await the airing of this show with anticipation.

February 9, 2008, 7:48 pm CST

RE: Living on a Prayer

Quote From: dglana

As a parent who homeschools my children, I find this kind of story offensive because it appears to make it sounds like homeschooling parents are cultic.  Most homeschooling parents are just as normal as a public school parent, but like any part of society, there are always people who are abusive, controlling, eccentric and otherwise strange.  Their story isn't that unusual.  I have known several families where they have any number of excuses for not working, ranging from stress to religious reasons.  Most of these aren't homeschooling folks at all. 

Homeschooling is not synonymous with cultic.  It is unfortunate that some cultic persons tend toward homeschooling for purposes of control because it besmirches the names of all the legitimate homeschooling parents out there who choose homeschooling for the educational, family and emotional benefits that it can provide. 

I've seen many posts that have already made judgments of how these people should have their children taken from them.  If children are being cared for, physically and emotionally, there is no law requiring electricity, heat or work to be a parent.  It seems these people area already being tried and found guilty when the show has yet to be seen and the information yet to be given.  My parents lived on prayers for a a time, as have I when it was needed.  They were working as were we, and people not knowing the needs provided food without being asked or petitioned.  The way this situation has been presented, I disagree with these people's notions of not working and trusting God.  But without seeing the show, I don't really know if the man or his wife have sought employment.  I see many people ready cast judgment, yet wonder how many of those would like to have their lives so closely scrutinized as these people will have theirs after this show.  And how many of you would like to have so much judgment made about you by people who don't even know you based on a paragraph clearly written to get people to make assumptions and start talking. 

Perhaps I'm defensive because I homeschool, but if the assertions presented in the paragraph are true, I wouldn't want to be associated with those people.  I'm defensive because I know that gossip can make any truth look sordid just by the way it is presented, and lives are affected.  I haven't posted anything is a year but felt I had to speak up.  I hate sensationalism and it seems that the shows are becoming more about sensation than problem solving.  I hope this is not one of those.  I liked the Dr. Phil show because it was about helping people.  Recently, it has seemed more about sensation. 
I agree with this woman's comments 98%. I too dislike sensationalism. It's like when a person becomes emotional and their mind is not clear. Reactionary situations do not profit anyone. Our emotions can get in the way nearly every time. Our minds should be the major element in how we do things in life... not to be controlled by emotion. Emotion is good, and we can be guided or propelled by emotion, but let's not be controlled by emotions.

February 10, 2008, 6:37 am CST

02/15 Living on a Prayer

God gets blamed for a lot of very bad decisions made in his name.  God provides for all who believe but he doesn't just swoop down and hand it to you.  Noah had to build his ark -- God didn't "provide it" by making it magically appear.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last