Message Boards

Topic : 07/17 Living on a Prayer

Number of Replies: 986
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 08, 2008, 12:25:06 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/15/08) What happens when a parent’s agenda becomes so extreme that his or her children are forced to live a harsh, stoic existence? Dan and Janna are a college-educated couple married for 15 years with seven children, ages ranging from 2 weeks to 14. They have no income, no heat, no running water and are about to lose their house. Dan and Janna believe that their primitive lifestyle is God’s will, and that they are being led by the Lord. Janna’s mom, Carol, and stepdad, Rich, are worried about the health of their grandchildren. Are they eating enough? Are they warm enough? They say because the children are home schooled, they live in a cult-like home environment, and are not exposed to the outside world. Carol and Rich are willing to bail this family out one last time, but why are Dan and Janna refusing the help? After eight failed businesses, why won’t Dan get a job to support his family? Where will they go when they are forced out of their home? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 10, 2008, 7:01 am CST

NUTS

Quote From: luvncheers

Yeah this family needs alot of prayers. I am sure their self pride is preventing them from getting the financial help they need from extended family members (and they should not have to be in the position to have to help). Their pride has closed their heart and mind to wise and sensible living.  

The first thought that went through my mind is that is alot of kids to provide for. Businesses fail alot and that is no excuse to continue to have more kids. They definately need a better plan then the one they have!

It really is troublesome when people throw the term "God's Will" around like they have! It is their wrong definition of "God's Will" and it has also been their excuse for continuing to live the way they have!  

My understanding of God's will is it means the same for everyone who chooses to follow God. God's plan does not lead families in the ditch, humans do that on their own will!

What is wrong with this picture? Everything.  They are living in their parents' basement! They have seven children! They have no jobs or source of income!

It is not possible to feed and clothe, educate, and provide shelter for a family of nine without someone spending quite a lot of money on their upkeep, and the last I heard  there is no "God" that sends cash every month to his followers.  There is something very fishy about this family.

At the very least the proper authorities should be involved in this. Religion is a personal and private choice unless it brings harm to others and to the community, and this "religion" sounds as if it brings nothing else.

February 10, 2008, 2:12 pm CST

02/15 Living on a Prayer

Are you testing God?  Do you believe if you pray louder or longer or harder that it will get God moving faster to provide for these children?   God provides  -  but expects us to claim our portion by working for it.

Put away your dreams and face the reality.  You have responsibilities - God given responsibilities - to your children. 

I'm not sure where you got the idea that God provides us with luxuries beyond our need.  You don't need a million dollar house.  And you'll pay the insurance, upkeep, taxes on this house - how?    To believe that God is dangling a million dollar house in front of you but just won't let you have it yet, well..........   You are looking for a lucky windfall and I'm afraid God doesn't deal in luck.   

Please see that God has given you abilities that you are to put to use.  To not utilize them is to defraud what God has created you to be. 

Be the best person you can be.  Be the best parent you can be.  That will serve God better than anything.

God has given you treasures in that family, and they deserve your very best - and that includes a life that

feels safe and secure and hopeful.  What they have right now doesn't seem to qualify.

I will keep you in my prayers.

From a Church Pastor

February 10, 2008, 3:31 pm CST

02/15 Living on a Prayer

Quote From: dglana

As a parent who homeschools my children, I find this kind of story offensive because it appears to make it sounds like homeschooling parents are cultic.  Most homeschooling parents are just as normal as a public school parent, but like any part of society, there are always people who are abusive, controlling, eccentric and otherwise strange.  Their story isn't that unusual.  I have known several families where they have any number of excuses for not working, ranging from stress to religious reasons.  Most of these aren't homeschooling folks at all. 

Homeschooling is not synonymous with cultic.  It is unfortunate that some cultic persons tend toward homeschooling for purposes of control because it besmirches the names of all the legitimate homeschooling parents out there who choose homeschooling for the educational, family and emotional benefits that it can provide. 

I've seen many posts that have already made judgments of how these people should have their children taken from them.  If children are being cared for, physically and emotionally, there is no law requiring electricity, heat or work to be a parent.  It seems these people area already being tried and found guilty when the show has yet to be seen and the information yet to be given.  My parents lived on prayers for a a time, as have I when it was needed.  They were working as were we, and people not knowing the needs provided food without being asked or petitioned.  The way this situation has been presented, I disagree with these people's notions of not working and trusting God.  But without seeing the show, I don't really know if the man or his wife have sought employment.  I see many people ready cast judgment, yet wonder how many of those would like to have their lives so closely scrutinized as these people will have theirs after this show.  And how many of you would like to have so much judgment made about you by people who don't even know you based on a paragraph clearly written to get people to make assumptions and start talking. 

Perhaps I'm defensive because I homeschool, but if the assertions presented in the paragraph are true, I wouldn't want to be associated with those people.  I'm defensive because I know that gossip can make any truth look sordid just by the way it is presented, and lives are affected.  I haven't posted anything is a year but felt I had to speak up.  I hate sensationalism and it seems that the shows are becoming more about sensation than problem solving.  I hope this is not one of those.  I liked the Dr. Phil show because it was about helping people.  Recently, it has seemed more about sensation. 
Well, my grandmother lived without electricity and running water for a long time. HER parents raised 12 children without electricity or running water.My grandmother raised 8 children without electricity or running water. I come from a long line of poor people. They worked hard but they were poor. They heated with wood stoves, carried water in from springs or brooks, had outside johns, etc... This particular family supposedly says it's God's will that they live this way and they are on the verge of losing thier home. It doesn't seem like they are trying to live thier life this way, it seems like they ended up this way. My poor relations had gardens and canned and thrived. They just simply were poor and lived this way. As far as the home schooling, I have to believe there is more to the story than has been revealed. I have to believe they are coming on the show for a reason, perhaps to get help?Or to defend themselves? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

February 11, 2008, 8:04 am CST

02/15 Living on a Prayer

If the parents want to live this lifestyle on their own, so be it. However to bring children up without running water, heat etc. is simply cruel. God gave man the intelligence to build and create.
Utilizing these amenities is NOT against God's will.

If the chldren grow up and want to continue this life, they can do so then. Only adults (in my opinion) can make these types of lifestyle choices, and it goes beyond a parent's right's to decide this for their children.

This lifestyle is for "Adults Only"...pardon the pun.

February 11, 2008, 9:06 am CST

Crazies

People like this make me angry. One if you can't afford it then stop having kids for one thing! These people need to get off their backsides and get jobs. Those kids need to be taken away asap they are being neglected big time. My mom was married to a worthless man that was psycho and a loser and didn't work. She was forced to work 5 part time jobs and be on foodstamps while he sat there and beat us kids.

February 11, 2008, 9:11 am CST

Living on a prayer...

I don't think this has much of anything to do with home-schooling at all.  What concerns me is the crazy extreme behavior all in the name of "God".  People that are doing this, and there's the taboo of being protected by the division of church and state.  Religious nuts abound, and that's no excuse for neglect for children to grow up in this condition.  These adults can believe anything they want and these children have the right to be taken care of completely and properly with food, clothing, and an education that prepares them to be productive independent people.  I know a family going through the same kind of circumstances and I don't understand how they get away with freak extremes and neglect imposed on their innocent children.  I will be fascinated to see this show!

February 11, 2008, 1:51 pm CST

02/15 Living on a Prayer

Quote From: fidosmommy

Are you testing God?  Do you believe if you pray louder or longer or harder that it will get God moving faster to provide for these children?   God provides  -  but expects us to claim our portion by working for it.

Put away your dreams and face the reality.  You have responsibilities - God given responsibilities - to your children. 

I'm not sure where you got the idea that God provides us with luxuries beyond our need.  You don't need a million dollar house.  And you'll pay the insurance, upkeep, taxes on this house - how?    To believe that God is dangling a million dollar house in front of you but just won't let you have it yet, well..........   You are looking for a lucky windfall and I'm afraid God doesn't deal in luck.   

Please see that God has given you abilities that you are to put to use.  To not utilize them is to defraud what God has created you to be. 

Be the best person you can be.  Be the best parent you can be.  That will serve God better than anything.

God has given you treasures in that family, and they deserve your very best - and that includes a life that

feels safe and secure and hopeful.  What they have right now doesn't seem to qualify.

I will keep you in my prayers.

From a Church Pastor

Isn't it "funny" how people will use "God" as a way to justify being too "sorry" to provide for their family? As a pastor, you know the Bilble says a man who isn't providing for his family is worse than a infidel. I wonder how this father of seven missed that verse. Or, if he's ever bothered to read the Bible.

February 11, 2008, 3:03 pm CST

02/15 Living on a Prayer

This is the choice of the parents to live like this, but when we have kids it is our responsibility to care and provide for them and I think to live like this with kids is not right. Even if God did say this, surely he would provide the necessities and the fact that they are ready to loose there house does not measure up with the God that I know   God provides for us and to basically live like this contradicts his word. How we choose to live as individuals is very very different to living life when we have kids. What is the point in bringing kids up like this if they grow up never learning how to cope in this world.  How can God be glorified thru this type of life?  Wouldn't it just turn more people away from God.?  Who wants to serve a God that provides nothing??  And its definantly not the God that I serve!  Good Luck and I hope to work through this. 

February 12, 2008, 4:48 am CST

Basement?

Quote From: shd1230

What is wrong with this picture? Everything.  They are living in their parents' basement! They have seven children! They have no jobs or source of income!

It is not possible to feed and clothe, educate, and provide shelter for a family of nine without someone spending quite a lot of money on their upkeep, and the last I heard  there is no "God" that sends cash every month to his followers.  There is something very fishy about this family.

At the very least the proper authorities should be involved in this. Religion is a personal and private choice unless it brings harm to others and to the community, and this "religion" sounds as if it brings nothing else.

Where are you getting the basement information? According to the write-up, they are going to lose their house. I don't see anythng about living in a basement.

February 12, 2008, 12:43 pm CST

Living on a prayer

I believe in the power of prayer, but God has never told us to sit on your rear side and expect Him to do everything and we do nothing. God has helped you with a good education, 7 beautiful children, and many other things. Don't play stupid GOD HAS GIVEN YOU MUCH AND MUCH IS REQUIRED OF YOU.  So get up and start to show the rest of the world what God can do through you!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last