Message Boards

Topic : 07/17 Living on a Prayer

Number of Replies: 986
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 08, 2008, 12:25:06 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/15/08) What happens when a parent’s agenda becomes so extreme that his or her children are forced to live a harsh, stoic existence? Dan and Janna are a college-educated couple married for 15 years with seven children, ages ranging from 2 weeks to 14. They have no income, no heat, no running water and are about to lose their house. Dan and Janna believe that their primitive lifestyle is God’s will, and that they are being led by the Lord. Janna’s mom, Carol, and stepdad, Rich, are worried about the health of their grandchildren. Are they eating enough? Are they warm enough? They say because the children are home schooled, they live in a cult-like home environment, and are not exposed to the outside world. Carol and Rich are willing to bail this family out one last time, but why are Dan and Janna refusing the help? After eight failed businesses, why won’t Dan get a job to support his family? Where will they go when they are forced out of their home? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 15, 2008, 6:45 am CST

02/15 Living on a Prayer

I'm not very religious, but I do believe that God helps those who help themselves, and the only things these people are helping themselves to is her parents' money.  I wanted to shake that guy--get a clue!  Feeling like doing something and being led by God to do it aren't the same thing; I feel like being a freelance artist and musician but reality is that I need a day job to pay my own way.  I couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I was mooching the way these people are mooching.

There is nothing wrong with homeschooling or with being anti-materialist, but you have to provide for your family and you have to have a realistic view of your life.  Getting hand-outs from your inlaws doesn't count as "providing".  And you know what?  My mother felt the same way; that she couldn't deny a life, until economic reality hit and she figured out she and my dad could never support the four kids she wanted (they had two instead).

February 15, 2008, 7:26 am CST

Loons

I certainly hope that someone from childrens' services or whatever social agency is available to these folks is paying attention to these loons!

February 15, 2008, 7:26 am CST

Need to get a grip

The Amish who are some of the most God Fearing, hard working people I know,  have a saying.  "If you want a helping hand, look at the end of your Arm."  These two are two hosts short of a Eucharist, him bordering I feel on Psychotic, and I believe both parents are a danger to themselves and these kids.  Both parents need a psychiatric tune-up, and the children need to be removed from this home and placed in a healthy and safe environment.  To put your children through this in the name of God, is not only offensive Dr. Phil...it's abusive. I hope to God you did not leave this family where I think you did. 

February 15, 2008, 7:29 am CST

02/15 Living on a Prayer

Quote From: ramair

Isn't it "funny" how people will use "God" as a way to justify being too "sorry" to provide for their family? As a pastor, you know the Bilble says a man who isn't providing for his family is worse than a infidel. I wonder how this father of seven missed that verse. Or, if he's ever bothered to read the Bible.

He goes off on a mental trip to La-La Land.  He isn't concerned with reality at all.  "The Lord will provide." 

February 15, 2008, 7:37 am CST

God's Assistance

As soon as I saw this show begin an old joke I'd once heard kept running through my mind...  There was a man who lived in a house near where a river has flooded.  The authorities came to evacuate the neighborhood but the man refused to leave telling the officers, "The Lord will provide!  He'll see me through."    The water rises to where the man had to go to the second floor of his home at which point rescuers came in a boat and told the man to get in the boat and they'd take him to safety.  Again the man refused and said, "God will provide, he'll see me through!"  The waters continued to rise and the man had to go to his roof because the water was now that high.  A helicopter came and they begged the man to please let them take him to safety.  Again the man refused saying the same things.  He drowned.  When he got to heave he met with God and asked, Lord, why did you let me die?  I thought you'd save me, thought you'd see me through!?"  God looked at him and shaking his head in pity and said, " And who do you think sent the authorities, the boat and the helicopter?"   God is sending these people help via Dr. Phil.  In all that have asked for it, Dr. Phil has chosen them to  bring on this show and he has resources that the rest of us have prayed to have access to.  They'll get their help but I somehow doubt that they'll see that it was God who has sent them the gift of Dr. Phil's intervention.  Nuff Said...

February 15, 2008, 7:41 am CST

Happy Children

Quote From: princess1

This is the kind of family that gives home schooling a bad rap.  It is not typical of how home school families live.  Most of us are very social and have all the comforts of modern life.  As far as it being "God's will" that they live like that ,as a Christian I can't understand why they would think that.  This is going to be an interesting show.

One of the things that Dan kept a saying was that he wasn't given a chance to explain, God leading him towards the decisions that he chose.

I believe that we all have found ourselves with life changes that we believed were good decisions.  I have had a few myself...

I also have no regrets for any of them as well.  For each of them taught me valuable life learning lessons.

I too came from a very impoverished background...13 bedroom colonial farm house probably built back during the Civil War...a house that one didn't have to go outside to measure the temperature, for it was a blowing inside through the holes and such in the structure.

A time when out door bathroom facilities were the norm, and running water the abnormal...so like Dr. Phil...I too can relate to the family that was shown today.

I don't believe that this show gave a bad rap to home schooling...for these children on top of being devout Christians...which is a good thing...they are also happy children and that to me speaks louder than the words of this father's, mother in law, father in law and sister.

I too am a follower of God's Will.  Just because I am doesn't mean that all things that I follow will be all wine and roses...sometimes we are given tests in the mist of our divine revelations...

Those are my thoughts on what you wrote.

I know that I will be responding to others here...for you were the start of this dialog page...

Love, Light and Peace

Tonie

We Are All Blessed

February 15, 2008, 7:44 am CST

"God's will" my foot!

I'm a Christian and very proud of the fact.  That's why it ruffles my feathers when a lazy, irresponsible loser like this guy claims "God's will" so he doesn't have to work!  Come on!  God commands you to work to support your family!  What Bible are you reading?  This guy's just mad because God's REAL will might actually lead him to an honest day's work instead of a day of feeding tropical fishes!  A bit of advice for ya, DAD!  Get off your duff and get to work like a real Christian man would do for his family.  And stop using God as an excuse for your laziness!

Mom, if I were you, I'd start listening for the still small voice that is telling you to dump this bum.

February 15, 2008, 7:50 am CST

I LOVE AND BELEIVE IN GOD WITH ALL MY HEART

DR PHIL YOUR GUEST WITH PHOTO BLOCK SPRAY DID NOT GET THE IDEA TO MAKE AND SELL THAT FROM GOD, THATS DISHONEST, HELL MAN HE NEEDS TO LEARN THE DIFFERANCE BETWEEN HIS HEART AND ASS, THOSE ARE NOT FEELINGS GOD IS PUTTING IN YOUR HEART, ITS HIS FOOT IN UR ASS MAN, GET UP AND GO TO WORK FOR THE MAN, OUNCH THE TIME CLOCK. AND STOP USING THE BIBLE THE WAY YOUR USING IT, GOD DONT LIKE UGLY, AND THATS PRETTY UGLY MAN.

February 15, 2008, 7:52 am CST

I AGREE WITH YOU

Quote From: daytonradar

I certainly hope that someone from childrens' services or whatever social agency is available to these folks is paying attention to these loons!

They are looney.

And you know, God did not write the bible. I dont get where people take bits and pieces of text and make it fit in thier lives.  I have the feeling that Janna is about thisclose to saying..."Dan, you are an idiot and I'm kicking you to the curb"

February 15, 2008, 8:01 am CST

The Lord Will Provide

Quote From: derevna33

He goes off on a mental trip to La-La Land.  He isn't concerned with reality at all.  "The Lord will provide." 

What I believe that all are a missing here is that, he has job applications that he has filled out...and is in the waiting process.

We are all different in the way that we view the world, because we all come from different backgrounds, different cultures.

He has made mistakes, yes, were they good mistakes or bad is totally up to the one that is a working himself back from it...

In life we all have forward and backward steps that we take...just because all of his monetary markers have gone by the way side...does not make this man a dead beat father and provider.

Just because he hit rock bottom, doesn't mean that the God that he and his family pray to, wasn't real or only imagined.

What Dr. Phil stated about the need to provide for his family and to consider the options of birth control means...wasn't slanted.  It was Dr. Phil being as real as he always comes across.

Dr. Phil took a chance when he loved Texas the state that he and Robin loved and moved to the city of Angels.  I wouldn't have considered it...for it is like the leading number one city for violent crime and such..yet Doc knew that he was a being called there as perhaps a Light in the darkness.

Doc didn't weigh all the pros and cons...he just knew within himself that Oprah was someone he knew and respected and felt was a doing good things for all...and he and Robin went for it.

Oprah admitted on his 1000 Show...(I loved the shows...by the way and cried when Oprah appeared on your show...the first guest...so cool!) that she didn't think he would have stayed with doing what he was a doing let alone hit his 1000 show, and thought it would end after 4 or 5 years.

So sometimes just a stepping out in faith is all one really can do...you know?

Perhaps this man is simply a test for us all.  That test could be:  "judge not least thee be judged."

So your statement that he isn't concerned with reality at all...I felt to not be real...yet I know that is my opinion...we all have our own...

Just my thoughts

Love, Light, and Peace

Tonie

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last