Message Boards

Topic : 07/17 Living on a Prayer

Number of Replies: 986
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 08, 2008, 12:25:06 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/15/08) What happens when a parent’s agenda becomes so extreme that his or her children are forced to live a harsh, stoic existence? Dan and Janna are a college-educated couple married for 15 years with seven children, ages ranging from 2 weeks to 14. They have no income, no heat, no running water and are about to lose their house. Dan and Janna believe that their primitive lifestyle is God’s will, and that they are being led by the Lord. Janna’s mom, Carol, and stepdad, Rich, are worried about the health of their grandchildren. Are they eating enough? Are they warm enough? They say because the children are home schooled, they live in a cult-like home environment, and are not exposed to the outside world. Carol and Rich are willing to bail this family out one last time, but why are Dan and Janna refusing the help? After eight failed businesses, why won’t Dan get a job to support his family? Where will they go when they are forced out of their home? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 5, 2008, 8:23 am CDT

07/17 Living on a Prayer

Quote From: jewelsf

Other women in the same situation can't watch the show! They have no TV and no cable to see it. Unfortunately this message will not get through to the people who do really need to see it. Oh, and they also have no electricity I'm sure.
They appeared to have electricity while Dr Phil'sameras were in their house. I noticed they still had lights. Apparently, their water came from a municipal source, rather than a well. And, they were billed for their water. Which was cut off when they got too far behind. As for TV, Dan probably doesn't believe in it.

August 19, 2008, 4:01 am CDT

07/17 Living on a Prayer

Dear Dr. Phil.

I need more explanation from Dan and Janna why Dan, especially, is jobless. I heard, in your program, that Dan, he said, is bankrupt.

You had better figure out that many families like Dan and Janna outside USA. I mean their family conditions of economy are similiar to Dan and Janna.

So, what Dan and Janna mention that God gives them is to be positive thinking. Within conversation, Dan said that he tried to find a job but no coming further.

I diasagree you switch the Dan's family problem because of their state of mind. I believe they do their much effort.

Anyhow, I appreciate you, Dr. Phil, then you invite the pastor and his funding society. This can help to overcome Dan's job problem.

Yours,

wed

August 19, 2008, 12:51 pm CDT

Whatever happened to...

I guess Dad didn't get the part of the Bible that says "God helps those who help themselves".  God gives us all talents and what we do with them is up to us.  Dan's talent seems to be coming up with excuses to not work.

August 20, 2008, 6:37 pm CDT

07/17 Living on a Prayer

Quote From: grandmashari

I guess Dad didn't get the part of the Bible that says "God helps those who help themselves".  God gives us all talents and what we do with them is up to us.  Dan's talent seems to be coming up with excuses to not work.
That quote is actually not in the Bible.

August 28, 2008, 12:00 pm CDT

07/17 Living on a Prayer

Quote From: PennyLane78

That quote is actually not in the Bible.
You're right, It isn't in the bible.  It is a quote from Ben Franklin.  Maybe he is working from the bible verse of  Isaiah 25:4  which  pretty much says the opposite,  God helps the helpless. 

March 15, 2009, 12:37 pm CDT

Living on a Prayer "couple"

I watched this show and was very surprised, to say the least, of how this family lives.  I just recently found out that he is someone who I graduated High School with and could not believe how he done his children like this.  Although, I didn't personally know Dan, I was wondering whatever happened to him and Janna and their seven children.  Tell me that they took the children away in protective services.

First | Prev | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | Next Page | Last Page