Message Boards

Topic : 07/16 Bully Husband

Number of Replies: 1023
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 14, 2008, 03:51:34 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/20/08) Dr. Phil takes on a couple whose story will shock you. Karen says she’s tired of being degraded and controlled by Rick, her husband of six years. She says he calls her “fat pig” and “fat whore,” criticizes her makeup, makes fat jokes and puts photos of nearly naked women on their computer and exercise machine to motivate her. Karen says if she tries to get close to him, he pushes her away and says, “Don’t even touch me until you’re under 200 pounds.” Rick says when he married Karen, she was within his standards, but now she definitely isn’t. He says he’s just trying to motivate his wife, but says it’s a good thing when they fight physically because it’s good exercise “when the beast wails her arms.” Karen says she puts up with the mental abuse because they have two children, and as crazy as it sounds, she still loves him. Is there a chance to salvage this relationship? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 16, 2008, 1:01 pm CST

Bully Husband

Karen has a jerk for a husband, I really don't understand  why she stays with him he is

not a great prize. She can do better without him if he wants a better looking or slimmer

wife give him his walking papers & don't let the door slam on his way out. Come on Karen

you have the upper hand, he will have to support your kids and you until you find a job but

what relief would it be not to have to listen the jerk anymore you are not losing something

of value you will gain your self respect back when you leave. Good luck to you & God Bless

February 16, 2008, 2:22 pm CST

what a jerk

I really think the kids would be happier not listening to their father abuse their mother.    He is an idiot.   You  do not encourage people to lose weight by demeaning them.   I can't wait to here Dr. Phil on this one.  

February 16, 2008, 2:32 pm CST

GET OUT NOW!

I hope this woman is reading the message boards.

One piece of advice I have for you is to GET OUT and get out YESTERDAY!

YOU DESERVE BETTER AND SO DOES YOUR DAUGHTER!!!

REAL LOVE DOESN'T HURT!

Real love is kind, not painful.

Real words of love are soothing not barbed.

I read there are actual PHYSICAL fights too?? NO WAY!!! WHY??????

What message is this sending to your daughter!!?!?!?!?!? If you don't have the strength to leave for your own self esteem, my God get out for hers!

To say "I still love him" after he degrades you in front of your child blows my mind!! That is very dysfunctional, very co-dependent........very SICK and twisted.

Remember that your daughter is taking notes. She is going to grow up believing this is NORMAL so when she gets into a relationship she will be seeking out HER FATHER in the man she marries!

Daughters seek out men like their fathers when the choose a husband.

Is that what you want for her???

My God your poor daughter will not know what a normal HEALTHY relationship is because all she'll have ever been taught is MEN DEGRADE THEIR WIVES because YOU are perpetuating it by staying in that sick relationship.

That 'man' is NOT trying to motivate you to lose weight. He is HUMILIATING YOU and DEGRADING YOU because he CAN. YOU ALLOW IT!!

I don't know why he feels he has the RIGHT to humiliate you, degrade you or why you feel he can get away with it but you need to put an END to it! GET OUT FOR YOUR DAUGHTERS SAKE IF YOU WONT DO IT FOR YOURSELF!!

(If he were MY husband we'd be having a blanket party and he'd be the guest of honor!)

REMEMBER: NOBODY CAN WALK ON YOU IF YOU DONT ALLOW IT!!!

Fat, skinny, buck-toothed, ugly, I don't care what anyone looks like on the outside......NOBODY DESERVES TO BE DEGRADED! NO MAN IS SO "SPECIAL" THAT HE IS WORTH PUTTING UP WITH THIS KIND OF CRAP!

GET OUT FOR YOUR DAUGHTERS SAKE IF YOU CANT DO IT FOR YOURSELF!

February 16, 2008, 2:32 pm CST

02/20 Bully Husband

Karen, in Dr. Phil's words. "kick his ass to the curb". No one deserves to be talked to in the manner that your husband is talking to you!

February 16, 2008, 2:35 pm CST

bully husband is an idiot

Hey bud, you're no prize package yourself so get off her case.  I can't even imagine being married to an idiot like you!! 

Karen, please pull the plug on this abusive relationship before it's too late for you and your daughter. 

February 16, 2008, 2:52 pm CST

She wants out.

Let's think about this .  She setting herself up to be in the position to be a martyr to her friends and family when he leaves or cheats on her.  She doesn't want him.  She's doing exactly what she knows would bother him.  I'd be willing to bet that it's her way of chasing him away.  She's being passive aggressive toward a jerk.  I bet she becomes an amazing person once he's gone.  As for him, he learned his behavior from his parents.  He's just being the way he thinks is effective (not smart).

February 16, 2008, 3:17 pm CST

abuse from husband

well karen need to kick her husband to the corner were the trash belongs. i have taken that for one time and he would be either on the floor or out the door with his bags.  no reason for him to treat his wife that way and then get the kids in middle of it.  and for asking his daughter if that would be a good mom for her cause she skin and bones. well it takes more then that to make a marrage work. that not fat that just play love for all the family she had to give.  charlette starr

February 16, 2008, 5:17 pm CST

02/20 Bully Husband

Oh no, another one of those "motivators". Karen this isn't good for your kids or you. What exactly do you still love about him?

February 16, 2008, 5:25 pm CST

02/20 Bully Husband

Dr. Phil please help those of us who need to understand exactly what you meant when you said;

"We teach others how to treat us!"

How do we contribute to the treatment we receive and how do we change this aspect of ourselves?

Is it true that sometimes understanding alone is not enough!  WE"RE NOT STUPID!  Just broken and need healing! 

Dr. Phil can you respond to this?

February 16, 2008, 6:10 pm CST

No kidding

Quote From: princessgina

This lady needs to get away from this loser fast. The nerve of the guy knocking his wife's wieght. Hello she had your baby butthead!!!!! Does he honestly think the naked pics of women is helping if anything making the situation worse. The real bad part is he does this in front of their child. That's teaching the child to be self-conisous about her body and she may end up being like him or marrying someone like him.
Or worse than that- he could be modeling that behaviour and if the daughter isn't thn enough- then thinking she isn't pretty or good enough and turning to an eating disorder. How horrible would that be if he inadvertadly (sp?) caused his daughter to be bulimic or anorexic? And if he has a son, then he's teaching that boy that women are nothing more than arm-candy- how horrible would that be instead of meeting a deep, caring, fun and happy woman finding someone who fits the 'mold'. Aigh.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last