Message Boards

Topic : 07/16 Bully Husband

Number of Replies: 1023
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 14, 2008, 03:51:34 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/20/08) Dr. Phil takes on a couple whose story will shock you. Karen says she’s tired of being degraded and controlled by Rick, her husband of six years. She says he calls her “fat pig” and “fat whore,” criticizes her makeup, makes fat jokes and puts photos of nearly naked women on their computer and exercise machine to motivate her. Karen says if she tries to get close to him, he pushes her away and says, “Don’t even touch me until you’re under 200 pounds.” Rick says when he married Karen, she was within his standards, but now she definitely isn’t. He says he’s just trying to motivate his wife, but says it’s a good thing when they fight physically because it’s good exercise “when the beast wails her arms.” Karen says she puts up with the mental abuse because they have two children, and as crazy as it sounds, she still loves him. Is there a chance to salvage this relationship? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 15, 2008, 4:38 am CST

this woman needs to get a backbone!!!!

Just from reading the preview..this woman needs to get a backbone and fast!!!!! Quite frankly, based on the descrition of what this guy has done and the put-down comments he makes, I'd have taken the kids and run for the hills a long time ago if I were Karen.  No one deserves to be called names for being overweight, and pointing to other women (attractive and skinny I'm sure!) and asking the kids if they want her for their new Mommy is unconscienable.   And whether he realizes it or not, he is not motivating his wife with his insults. He is making her miserable and she is probably turning to food to fill the huge void. And what message does this send to the kids?  Hope she has some extended family support she can count on, and that she gets herself and the kids out as soon as possible.

February 15, 2008, 9:26 am CST

Get out!

It's ridiculous- conditional love doesn't exist, you either love someone or you don't.  He just loved the IDEA of the perfect model housewife.  Shallowness is for people who casually date, and you shouldn't be married if you're still stuck in some shallow phase. It's important to be healthy, but how healthy is it when he calls her a "fat pig" and she turns to food for comfort?  God forbid someone calls him fat, from his pic, he doesn't look like a perfect model he-man either!  

Karen should NOT put up with that, because she's modeling how wives and husbands treat each other.  That's not the ideal I would paint for my kids. She should get out of there, and be healthy by shedding 200 lbs of sorry-a** abusive husband!  Karen, be a big beautiful smart woman and shine on your own!

February 15, 2008, 11:52 am CST

The guy's a loser

This lady needs to get away from this loser fast. The nerve of the guy knocking his wife's wieght. Hello she had your baby butthead!!!!! Does he honestly think the naked pics of women is helping if anything making the situation worse. The real bad part is he does this in front of their child. That's teaching the child to be self-conisous about her body and she may end up being like him or marrying someone like him.

February 15, 2008, 2:31 pm CST

02/20 Bully Husband

Even though all we see of Rick is his head and upper chest, the picture suggests that he could be even fatter than Karen. For physical and mental health purposes, she does need to lose some weight, beginning with the first 200, maybe 300, pounds of blubber, Rick! With him, and all that junk I suspect he eats, out of the house, Karen can begin losing her own weight.

February 15, 2008, 3:05 pm CST

fattening her up?

I think he LIKES her fat, that way, she wouldn't be attractive enough to leave him for someone else.  That's why he's so emotionally abusive, I think that he knows at some level that being abusive is going to drive her to eat more, and keep her fat and at home.  If she DID leave him, how many supermodels would he REALLY attract?  This is just a mirror of his own self dissatisfaction and he's not man enough to deal with his self esteem problems.  So he makes Karen deal with it, what a loser.

February 16, 2008, 5:26 am CST

The man is a total waste

Rick sounds like one sick puppy!  How DARE he abuse his own wife that way?!?  To do and say what he does in front of their children is unforgivable.  The children will assume that's the way men "should" act, and that women are "supposed" to just take whatever the man dishes out.  What a hideous legacy to pass on to your kids!  Karen needs to get rid of that jerkstore.  With him gone, she would no doubt give up a whole big bunch of stress eating, and the weight would come off.  She appears to be a pretty woman, and she'll probably be stellar when she loses what she needs to.  Rick, on the other hand, doesn't look as if he'd be any kind of a prize at ALL, even if he dropped that extra 100 pounds it looks like he's carting around.  And he surely doesn't have a sparkling personality!  Plus, he's obviously stupid for treating his wife that way, in front of their kids.  So, he's fat, ugly, mean, and stupid.  What's to "love" about that package???

Karen, something needs to change about your relationship with Rick:  His ADDRESS, for instance!!!

February 16, 2008, 6:02 am CST

I feel for "bully husband's" wife.

WOW!   I can't wait to see this upcoming show, and think I have a pretty good idea of what Dr. Phil will suggest.  Although my husband was nothing like this bully, he did have issues with my weight (I have since lost it and look pretty good for 53!) which nearly destroyed my self esteem.  Words were spoken early in our marriage after the birth of our first son that hurt me immeasurably.  My husband obviously didn't find me attractive, so our sexual encounters were far and few between (and always of MY initiation when things did happen).  After 23 years of hurting, crying many days when I was alone, and feeling that my marriage wasn't "complete," we are now divorced.  Had we stayed married, it will have been 32 years this May.  Fortunately, we DID have a normal and very happy "family life" with our two sons, and my husband was good to me in every other way.  But, not having that intimate connection with my spouse ate away at me year after year after year...............and then I made the choice to move forward.  We remain very close and friendly, and I am very happily married to a man who thinks I am the most gorgeous woman on the planet!  hehe    Don't give up hope!

February 16, 2008, 6:38 am CST

Bully husband!!

Quote From: juliebgg

Just from reading the preview..this woman needs to get a backbone and fast!!!!! Quite frankly, based on the descrition of what this guy has done and the put-down comments he makes, I'd have taken the kids and run for the hills a long time ago if I were Karen.  No one deserves to be called names for being overweight, and pointing to other women (attractive and skinny I'm sure!) and asking the kids if they want her for their new Mommy is unconscienable.   And whether he realizes it or not, he is not motivating his wife with his insults. He is making her miserable and she is probably turning to food to fill the huge void. And what message does this send to the kids?  Hope she has some extended family support she can count on, and that she gets herself and the kids out as soon as possible.

Karen, RUN.

February 16, 2008, 8:13 am CST

A good man is hard to find but...

Not impossible.  What Karen needs is a husband who loves her no matter what.  I know Karen personally and I won't reveal too much, but she is a wonderful wife to this IDIOT!  She does not deserve his treatment.  She's putting up with it just for the kid's sake, which I feel to be for the wrong reason.  If they grow up to witness this treatment throughout their lives, they too will inherit the disease, which is not fair to them.

If there are any single, decent, honest, not necessarilty good looking men out there who needs a nurturing wife, she is the one!  Her kids are so well mannered and adorable, it would be hard not to love them.  Even if not your own.  Believe me, there is some lonely man out there that would appreciate the kind of life that she can give.  She needs a rescue!

February 16, 2008, 8:18 am CST

Support

Quote From: juliebgg

She has support, but she is in need of professional help to give her the courage to leave the jerk!  You can't just offer advice to leave, you have to want to do it!  She's in it for the kid's sake and that is sad...

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last