Message Boards

Topic : 06/05 Family Court Battles

Number of Replies: 484
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 14, 2008, 03:52:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/21/08) Stalking allegations, surveillance cameras, restraining orders. This may sound like a television drama, but it's the life of a mother and daughter who have declared war on each other! Rita claims her daughter, Lisa, is alienating her from her 13-year-old grandson, Koal, and is brainwashing him to hate her. Lisa says Rita is crazy and is using Koal as a weapon to hurt her. Lisa's ex-husband, Koal's father, says his ex-mother-in-law is a habitual liar and control freak. Neither parent believes Koal should be forced to visit with Rita. Accusations fly when mother and daughter face off. With all the finger-pointing, who's telling the truth? Dr. Phil drills down on the issues. You won't believe what he thinks may be at the root of this problem. Then, with seven lawsuits filed, Lisa and Rita have visited the courthouse numerous times. Rita won her grandparent's rights to visit with Koal, and she says she will stop at nothing until Lisa allows her to see her grandson. Plus, hear from the 13-year-old boy who's caught in the middle of this nasty family feud. His comments may shock you. And attorney Gloria Allred sheds light on who has what rights in this case. Can this family arrange a plan for peace? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 16, 2008, 10:58 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Battles Court Doctor Family Phiil.  I have never of that before. But anyway Britney Spear is also going thro-

ugh the same thing aswell but on other hand who cares anyway. See you on Thursday Feburary 21st,------

2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 16, 2008, 2:57 pm CST

I was there!

I happened to be in the audience for this show.  Quite interesting and sometimes rather funny.  A must see!

February 16, 2008, 3:22 pm CST

court battle

wow all i can say bliss that 13 year old boy and all he has to put up with with mom and grandma,  hope he comes out to be a happy child they both grandma and mom need to stop and remembe what the son or grandson wants or need to place him with dad and then let mom and grandma fight it out with out the son involed or here or see.  god bliss him. charlette starr

February 16, 2008, 4:53 pm CST

Parental Rights!

I think the only people that should have the right to make decisions abouth the childs best intrest should be the mother and the father! If neither want the child to have contact with the grandparents then that shouldn't be an issue for the courts or anybody else! The only time the grandparents should have that right is if both parents are deceased or if neither are fit take care for the child! Sometimes I believe the court system has more control over your child than the actual parents! I think the only time the courts should be involed is in custody  cases!

February 16, 2008, 4:56 pm CST

02/21 Family Court Battles

I have a Mom that has issue and mental disease who also took me to court. I feel  for famiy. It was i trying time in my life.

February 16, 2008, 5:12 pm CST

Court battles

Courts should not be the place family disputes are settled, however sometimes there is just no choice.  There are so many children living in violent or dysfunctional homes while grandparents, uncles, aunts, and other family members have to stand by and watch the slow, but certain, destruction of these children.  Unwed parents often lead to children being raised by one parent and the other parent unavailable to the child.  The extended family is extremely important to provide support to both the children and the single parent in these cases.  What happens when one or both parents can not or will not provide a safe environment for the child?  Social Services and the court system can step in when the situation is extreme enough, but not soon enough to prevent emotional damage to the child and often not soon enough to prevent physical damage to the child.  Family members can talk to, give suggestions, beg, plead, and threaten the parent into better behavior, but the parent soon learns that they own the child and no one can change that.  They can then use the child to extort money, things, promises, or behaviors from the family in order to keep the child safe.  Although parents should have the right to raise their children in the way they choose there should be safeguards in place for the children.  Parental rights should not be protected to the detriment of the children; however this is the case in many situations.  Hopefully this story will have a happy ending.

February 16, 2008, 5:25 pm CST

Grandma needs to check herself

Quote From: brightstarr

wow all i can say bliss that 13 year old boy and all he has to put up with with mom and grandma, hope he comes out to be a happy child they both grandma and mom need to stop and remembe what the son or grandson wants or need to place him with dad and then let mom and grandma fight it out with out the son involed or here or see. god bliss him. charlette starr
 I would hold up on judgement of the mom until you hear the whole story.   I have also had one of my parents accuse me of keeping him from his grandson.  Some times our parents do not deserve to have time with our children and if that boy does not want to see his grandma no one should make him.   I made my  son go with me the last time I went to see my father in the nursing home because my father asked to see my son on for thier birthdays,  My sons is Feb 9 and my fathers Feb 15.   My son never like to see my dad because he was a mean cuss of a man most of the time,    And now thanks to me making my son go to see his grandfather,  His last memory of his grandfather is of him saying something cold heartless  to him.   My father died early the next morning.   So if grandma has made herself unwelcome in her grandson and daughters life..... well you reap what you sow.   My father was real a****le and reaped many of those benefits in the end of his life...  Yes I still went to see him and did what I should.... but it was me doing my duty Honoring my father,  my mother recieves more love and attention from me and my children than my father could ever imagine.    Control your children and never show them love and respect well then do expect them to bring thier children to visit.

February 16, 2008, 10:48 pm CST

Take a good look at yourselfs!!!!!!!!

What are you two trying to do? Niehter one of yous are going to win in the end . When that child grows up he is going to be far away from both of yous. I am a Grandmother with 12 grandchildern and some of those grandkids I do not see hardly at all for one reason or another but I let it be because I know they will come to me with they grow up and thats ok if God lets me live that long. Life is a gift that God gives you and its aprecious time  we do not need to be using the time we have to be fighting. I love my kids and my grandchildern and thats why I choose to go the route that i have. No one can take the love I have in my heart away from me. Shame on you both for what you are doing to your familys and yourselfs. Court can not settle things betwen yous only you two can. You have to find it in your heart to do this . Mom you have a daughter and girl you only have aMother once.

February 17, 2008, 4:19 am CST

I would think a 13 year old would be old enough to have some say in all of this. He should know whether or not he wants to visit his grandmother, shouldn't he? I have 2 kids and at 13, either of them would have known whether or not they wanted to visit thier grandparents.

February 17, 2008, 12:02 pm CST

Quote From: precious2me

Courts should not be the place family disputes are settled, however sometimes there is just no choice.  There are so many children living in violent or dysfunctional homes while grandparents, uncles, aunts, and other family members have to stand by and watch the slow, but certain, destruction of these children.  Unwed parents often lead to children being raised by one parent and the other parent unavailable to the child.  The extended family is extremely important to provide support to both the children and the single parent in these cases.  What happens when one or both parents can not or will not provide a safe environment for the child?  Social Services and the court system can step in when the situation is extreme enough, but not soon enough to prevent emotional damage to the child and often not soon enough to prevent physical damage to the child.  Family members can talk to, give suggestions, beg, plead, and threaten the parent into better behavior, but the parent soon learns that they own the child and no one can change that.  They can then use the child to extort money, things, promises, or behaviors from the family in order to keep the child safe.  Although parents should have the right to raise their children in the way they choose there should be safeguards in place for the children.  Parental rights should not be protected to the detriment of the children; however this is the case in many situations.  Hopefully this story will have a happy ending.

Very well put. Often a judge isn't aware of or hasn't been apart of the family dynamic that has brought the family to such odds to begin with. My MIL and I often do not see eye to eye but I know she loves my children and she is a great grandmother. I would never withhold someone that loves my child from them. The more people who love them in this life the better. I am adult enough to understand that as long as my children are safe physically and emotionally I don't necessarily have to love the same people they do. My family was quite dysfuntional growing up and I don't have a relationship with my sister as a result. My older son emails her and so far their relationship has been appropriate. I have no issues as long as it continues to be. I agree with you that hopefully this situation will work out.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last