Message Boards

Topic : 02/22 Hell Weddings

Number of Replies: 238
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 14, 2008, 03:54:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Every bride wants to shine on her special day -- from wearing the perfect gown to hosting the most extravagant reception. But what happens when the dream of the perfect wedding turns into a nightmare? Janae knows about this pain firsthand. Her husband, Michael, got so drunk before the ceremony that he passed out cold after saying “I do” and didn’t wake up until the next day!  Janae attended the reception by herself and spent her wedding night with her bridesmaids at a hotel. Their wedding from hell took place two years ago, but she still tears up at the memory of that fateful day. Can she ever forgive Michael's mishaps, or is he doomed to the doghouse forever? Then, Angela is a self-professed bridezilla who makes no excuses for her demanding ways. She even created a newsletter for her bridesmaids with the rules and regulations they must follow to participate in her wedding! Her sister and maid of honor, Vanessa, worries that Angela's nitpicking will cause her fiancé, Marvin, to run for the hills. What's behind Angela's controlling behavior, and is she headed for heartache on her special day? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 19, 2008, 9:27 am CST

BRIDEZILLAS: IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A "DAY", NOT A "YEAR"...

February 21, 2008, 10:05 am CST

my wedding

The story reminds me so much of my wedding it is unreal.  Five years ago I said my vows to a drunk husband.  The worst thing of it all is that my grandfather married us and could smell and tell that my husband had been drinking.  Our wedding was at 4:30 and my husband had already gone to the parking lot with his groomsmen consumed a fifth of liquor and stumbled his way to the alter, I did not see him walk to the alter of coarse but the ones that did said they were real surprised he made it.  Fast forward to the reception my husband danced one song with me and that was it the rest of the time he was drinking and carrying on with his friends.  He told a friend of mine that if he was not  married he would go home with her right in front of me in my wedding dress, he says he was picking which he probably was but you do not say that on your wedding day.  They played our song at the end of the night to dance to again and my new husband was no where to be found, my brother in law danced it with me.  I finally got him out of there and he did not say a word to me the whole way home pucked in the yard and went to bed, I managed to get out of my dress myself and slept on the couch.  Today I have forgiven him but it is something I will never forget.  I love my husband dearly and always will but a wedding is very important to a girl

February 22, 2008, 12:05 am CST

Guests of Honor

As a bride, I was the guest of honor.  This was the largest party that my parents ever hosted in my honor.  They paid the bills.  They invited whom they wanted.  All I was required to do was look gorgeous, smile, and have a happy marriage.   Everyone else had a fine time at the party . . . I didn't even stay to the end.

It is difficult to be the hostess, the party planner, and the caterer at such a large event.  It kept my mom busy for months.  I didn't even try.  I'm glad because I spent the evening in a daze.  I was happy and excited and enjoying the party.    

February 22, 2008, 3:22 am CST

02/22 Hell Weddings

Quote From: jaresto

If Angela sees something in this DRUNKEN fool, we don't know, then give him another chance and RENEW those vows under a more favorable, less stressful situation.  After counseling, and a successful completion of the AA 12 Step Program for him, and he stays off for at least a year and prove his Love and Dedication.

Angela, yes, if you are going to do this -- lighten up.  Take it from a guy that put to major weddings together in the same decade.  Yes our original wedding date was September 6, 1997, our renewal, because we wanted the kids to be out of school for it, and the date sounded cute was on July 7, 2007.  Get it 7-7-7, and yes our reminder magnets had slot machines with the 7 7 7 up on them. 

I love my wife with all my heart.  I would never do anything to embarrass her, or our children, And we BOTH enjoyed putting together every little detail of each wedding, from the cake topper, to the ceremony and all the way down to the wedding favor.  Oh and for a twist, I DJ'ed the renewal of vows, as I wanted to make sure our music got played.  Both wedding were remarkable, memorable, stressful for the desire to have nothing go wrong, but full of love, lack of liquor at least before the ceremony and we still are like love birds today. 

I pray you some day, feel what we feel, if now with the one you are with, then each of you with partners that could fully appreciate and understand who you are today, as that may never change.

I don't think the guy is an alcoholic, and I don't think he was so nervous he needed to drink.  When I read the story he said he drank one shot then everyone wanted to do one with him.  He also stated that he rarely drinks.  I think he was just not thinking, not realizing that 4,5 or 6 shots to someone who rarely drinks is A LOT of alcohol.

I am not excusing his ruining the wedding, but I just didn't get the impression that this dude is a raging alcoholic.

February 22, 2008, 6:43 am CST

02/22 Hell Weddings

What Marvin needs to do is find his glasses and really look at Angela and then decide if having to look at that the rest of his life is worth all this hell he is going through with the planning of this wedding. Angela is an overgrown spoiled brat. He needs to get out while the getting is good.

February 22, 2008, 7:23 am CST

02/22 Hell Weddings

I don't even have to tune in today to tell you that I hate 'bride and groom' horror stories. lol  paleeese...so your groom crushed to the pressure of 'one more shot'.  and he wasn't prepared for how it was going to affect him.  get over it already. (again..saying this without watching)  he did a stupid thing...so...does that effect your entire life, or what?  we were young..silly..wonderful..in love.  and as such, my hubby may have not realized his 'alcohol tolerance' on our wedding day.  big deal.  he still carried me up 3 flights of stairs...(yeah..it WAS kind of scarey)  and when he woke up the next day with his whopper hangover........we were still sweethearts forever.  Bridezillas....what the heck is that about anyway? am I the only human on the planet that thinks this is so stupid?  I like the Dr. Phil House saga of potential newlyweds (altho...I don't get why some of them would EVAHHHHHH marry)......but these shows about silly premarital goofs......a reallllll snoozer for me.   maybe they should tune in to the REAL world and find issues that warrant such grief.

February 22, 2008, 7:23 am CST

02/22 Hell Weddings

Dr. Phil is totally correct when he says that too many people are more concerned with "getting married" than with being married. All these women talk about the dream wedding they have always wanted. And that is where it stops. They have never given any planning to their lives after the "I dos".

When my husband and I got married, we were on the same page as far as the ceremony. We sat down at a table and talked about what we both wanted and didn't want. Neither one of us wanted anything elaborate. We were more concerned with our future together. Our wedding cost less than $300 and this year in August we will be married 38 years.  The elaborateness of the wedding is not in direct proportion to the length of the marriage. The $12,000 plus that Angela and Marvin are planning to spend on their wedding would make a great down payment on a house. And they would have more to show for their money than just some pictures in an album.

February 22, 2008, 7:30 am CST

Why are weddings HERS?

I don't know where the idea came from that weddings are the woman's day - as I see it, both man and woman are getting married, and a wedding is a celebration of the commitment the two are entering.

On today's show, the woman didn't want her husband to wear a certain color to his own wedding.  How is that love?  Why should a wedding not be the best possible experience for both?  Men and women have to suffer under enough stereotypes, and perpetuating the myth that women deserve ALL on their wedding day simply sets the stage for what happened on the show today - the woman feels entitled and justified in making selfish and outrageous demands.

Having been married more than once, I can tell you this: the wedding that meant the most to me was the shortest, the least planned, and had the least flair.  What it did have was heart, love, and excitement and interest on both of our parts (mine and my husband's) that we were having the ceremony to make that special commitment to one another.

If he had wanted something on our wedding day and I'd have said "No! It doesn't go! It's my day! Mine mine mine!" what would that say about how much I think of his needs or wishes?

February 22, 2008, 7:33 am CST

mzsuzyq2u

Quote From: gwarrior6

It sounds to me like Michael didn't know how to deal with the stress of the big day, and I can understand being anxious- but he got drunk, which is never a good way to face your problems.  He should have talked to his fiancee about how he felt, and maybe went to the courthouse instead.  If it was a really big deal for her, then maybe he should have taken some anti-anxiety meds or gotten some relaxation techniques to work through it.  Either way, he should have talked to her about how he felt and reached a mutual compromise.  Everything's negotiable.

If he had taken enough anti-anxiety meds,  he could have possibly just slept peacefully through the reception instead of passing out from alcohol!  Good suggestion....And, it was and rightfully should have been a "Really Big Deal" to the bride.  I am sure she was mortified by his behavior.  It seems like people are blaming the bride, when the groom is the one who made an *ss out of himself.  Maybe he was nervous, maybe he wasn't.  I am sure the bride was nervous just as well, but she didn't  drink five or six shots before her wedding to calm herself down.  To put it simply, he disrepected and embarrassed his bride and so what if it is two years later....I don't blame her for the way she feels.  HE RUINED their wedding day. 

February 22, 2008, 8:02 am CST

WOW...

Quote From: immahasin

Angela is truly someone to be worried about. She definetly is the cause of more trouble than she's worth. It is too bad she doesn't see this before, but she has an opportunity to check herself and get in step with what is right. Hopefully she will work it out before it is too late.

Angela needs to grow up and stop be such a prima donna.  Realizing this is "HER" day; she is not in it alone.  She should also recognize that a man will only take so much abuse and disrespect.  Then she will be sitting on stage with a new topic to discuss with Dr. Phil.  Thru the grace of GOD she will see what she is doing and change her ways and have a happy marriage.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last