Message Boards

Topic : 02/22 Hell Weddings

Number of Replies: 238
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, February 14, 2008, 03:54:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Every bride wants to shine on her special day -- from wearing the perfect gown to hosting the most extravagant reception. But what happens when the dream of the perfect wedding turns into a nightmare? Janae knows about this pain firsthand. Her husband, Michael, got so drunk before the ceremony that he passed out cold after saying “I do” and didn’t wake up until the next day!  Janae attended the reception by herself and spent her wedding night with her bridesmaids at a hotel. Their wedding from hell took place two years ago, but she still tears up at the memory of that fateful day. Can she ever forgive Michael's mishaps, or is he doomed to the doghouse forever? Then, Angela is a self-professed bridezilla who makes no excuses for her demanding ways. She even created a newsletter for her bridesmaids with the rules and regulations they must follow to participate in her wedding! Her sister and maid of honor, Vanessa, worries that Angela's nitpicking will cause her fiancé, Marvin, to run for the hills. What's behind Angela's controlling behavior, and is she headed for heartache on her special day? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 15, 2008, 6:55 am CST

Wedding vs. Marriage...

My whole wedding day is a blur- I remember having tunnel vision to the altar, trying not to pass out.  I was so anxious, just trying to breathe and get it over with.  Looking back, I'd rather have gone to the JP court and maybe have a small get-together of friends go out after.  It's so easy to be disappointed by it because it's this big idealized social event-but if you actually get MARRIED, and have a great marriage, then mission accomplished- and it doesn't matter if you throw a big party or go to the courthouse.

Angela-Come on girl!  If you're going to throw a big bash, you have to know that if people choose to be in your wedding, that's NOT an excuse to demand anything.  In fact, it's a complement that they would endure bridesmaid dresses, costs, rehearsals, etc, for YOU.  

Weddings are as much if not MORE for the people that attend and participate than they are for you- you decorate, you feed them, you give them little gifts and spend the day talking with them.  It's a privelege to even have them there, not something you're entitled.  Angela should be a maid of honor at a wedding, it's a lot of work! Then maybe appreciate what they do for you at your wedding- No more bridezilla, please!

February 15, 2008, 7:56 am CST

a big clue

I think that Angela's behvior regarding her upcoming wedding is a huge clue about how she views other people and how she is going to behave in her marriage.  While I would be the first to say that a wedding should be a very special day for the bride (and the groom too, Angela!!) it does not give the bride carte blanch to disregard other peoples' feelings and to become rude and demanding. To give out a newsletter detailing rules and regulations for her bridesmaids is childish, selfish and shows that she is a complete control freak. Personally I would not participate in a wedding with a bride like that, and I have my doubts that I'd ever choose such a selfish demanding person as a friend in the first place.  Her future husband ought to take note.  If she behaves like such a prima donna about the wedding, how will she be in a marriage?  She is sending out huge clues that point to a very shallow and self-centered person and perhaps this guy should rethink what he is getting himself in to.

February 15, 2008, 11:48 am CST

WTH

As far as the chick who's husband was a lush I don't blame her for being angry at him. He was stupid plain and simple. The bridezilla chick was obvisously a spoiled brat when she was a kid.

February 15, 2008, 1:39 pm CST

02/22 Hell Weddings

Quote From: princessgina

As far as the chick who's husband was a lush I don't blame her for being angry at him. He was stupid plain and simple. The bridezilla chick was obvisously a spoiled brat when she was a kid.
That chick was stupid for going ahead and marrying the lush.
He got drunk before the ceremony. Not, during the reception afterward.
If Michael's getting drunk before the ceremony was a big enough deal that Janae is still upset with him, two years later, she should've called the wedding off.
As for bridezilla Angela, Michael should run for his life. Before she becomes his wifezilla!

February 15, 2008, 2:20 pm CST

IMO...

Quote From: ramair

That chick was stupid for going ahead and marrying the lush.
He got drunk before the ceremony. Not, during the reception afterward.
If Michael's getting drunk before the ceremony was a big enough deal that Janae is still upset with him, two years later, she should've called the wedding off.
As for bridezilla Angela, Michael should run for his life. Before she becomes his wifezilla!

It sounds to me like Michael didn't know how to deal with the stress of the big day, and I can understand being anxious- but he got drunk, which is never a good way to face your problems.  He should have talked to his fiancee about how he felt, and maybe went to the courthouse instead.  If it was a really big deal for her, then maybe he should have taken some anti-anxiety meds or gotten some relaxation techniques to work through it.  Either way, he should have talked to her about how he felt and reached a mutual compromise.  Everything's negotiable.

February 16, 2008, 12:36 am CST

Just a little bit of friendly advice.

For the "bridezilla", this is a very special day, not only for you but also for your future husband.  As much as you want it to be perfect I can pretty much assure you you will have your little snafus.  The important thing to remember is the wedding is only one day.  Too many people put so much preparation into the wedding that they forget to plan for the marriage.

February 16, 2008, 8:48 am CST

02/22 Hell Weddings

Quote From: gwarrior6

It sounds to me like Michael didn't know how to deal with the stress of the big day, and I can understand being anxious- but he got drunk, which is never a good way to face your problems.  He should have talked to his fiancee about how he felt, and maybe went to the courthouse instead.  If it was a really big deal for her, then maybe he should have taken some anti-anxiety meds or gotten some relaxation techniques to work through it.  Either way, he should have talked to her about how he felt and reached a mutual compromise.  Everything's negotiable.

Makes me wonder just why Michael was so anxious. Was it just the wedding that un-nerved him? Or, the marriage that followed. Maybe Janae had held grudges in the past. Over much less seriuos issues than getting drunk. So, maybe Michael was having second thoughts about marrying her. Anyway, it's been two years since Michael got drunk. To continue holding a grudge is, IMO, awfully petty and mean of Janae. Especially if he hasn't had anything to drink since the wedding.  I just hope DR Phil doesn't "reward" her attitude with another "wedding."

February 16, 2008, 11:04 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Hell Phil Weddings. Now you know why that I am not getting marry at all but most people will do g--

et marry and have kids aswell. See you on Friday Feburary 22nd, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaandere-

ren.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 16, 2008, 11:52 am CST

Michael got drunk before saying

Michael, got so drunk before the ceremony that he passed out cold after saying “I do.”

I do believe that in most states, you have to be sober, not have been forced or coerced,  in order to sign a marriage contract, otherwise the contract is invalid.  The way I see it, the contract is invalid and they are not legally married.

February 16, 2008, 12:32 pm CST

Hell Weddings

I think I'd have given him the boot at the time he collapsed at the wedding ceremony.  However, I have a feeling that after this long, a few counseling sessions would be in order, and at the proper time, a renewal of the wedding vows would be in order.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last