Message Boards

Topic : 02/25 Deadly Thin

Number of Replies: 195
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 22, 2008, 12:10:38 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine standing in front of a mirror and seeing an obese person staring back at you. Now imagine that this person looking back at you actually weighs only 60 pounds. Dr. Phil takes a look inside the mind of an anorexic and bulimic 28-year-old named Aimee, whose frame is so fragile after years of deprivation, doctors have said she has the bones of a 90-year-old woman. Her bulimia is so extreme, she vomits up to 150 times a day and by evening, sees blood. What dark secret from Aimee’s childhood could have set her on this path to self-destruction? And is she too far gone, or can she come back from her downward spiral before it’s too late? To answer these and other critical questions, Dr. Phil calls on his team of medical experts, The Doctors: Dr. Lisa Masterson, an OB/GYN; family therapist Dr. Tara Fields; pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears; plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon; and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork. Plus, Dr. Phil invites a previous guest who was starving for perfection to share her story. Will her personal triumph inspire Aimee to believe that recovery is within reach? Plus The Doctors address teen obesity. What's at stake in this new generation's battle of the bulge? Get in on the conversation!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 27, 2008, 4:54 am CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: ohthatsadaisy

THANK YOU Dr. Phil and staff!

Monday, February 25, 2008 program

Hello again!  I am the close friend of Pat and Aimee (young lady with bulimic eating disorder).  The wonderful love, support and proffessional help that Dr. Phil has put in to place for Aimee is truly a blessing!  Dr. Phil treated both Pat and Aimee with such respect and dignity!  He is a model father image for her to lean on during her recovery!  Words cannot express the heartfelt gratitude that I want to tell Dr. Phil and his fabulous staff.  Pat told me that the entire experience was amazing!  I believe that because of Dr. Phil's loving heart to reach out to help others live their best life, that we will indeed see Aimee back on his program, as the healthy, vibrant young lady she used to be! God bless you Dr. Phil and staff!  Jennifer is proof of your wonderful work! 

Sincerely, Liz McKellar

Liz,

I went to highschool with Aimee and I was just shocked and heart broken when I saw her.  I had no idea.  I wasn't close friends with her, but I did have classes with her and was in the same grade as me.   My old classmates and I are hoping a close friend or family member will start a support group for her on Facebook.  Many of us want to let her know that we care about her, and we are hoping she will recover.  We want to support her through this process and we want her to know that she is loved by many people. 

I am glad to hear that the Dr. Phil experience was amazing for both her and Pat.  Thank you for the update.

I also wanted to add quickly to Jennifer......Jennifer, you looked amazing!  I am so proud of you!!!! 

Sincerely,   Karin W.

February 27, 2008, 2:23 pm CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: ddlynn

As a mother of 2 daughters, this story really scared me.

My Jr. High daughter tells me stories every day of children making fun of each other over weight, acne, whatever they can.  I worry about my girls worrying so much about what people think tof their appearence that this could happen to them.  

Aimee, God be with you and give you the strength to get through what lies ahead for you.  I don't know you, but I hurt for you and will pray for your health and mind to heal.  Embrace the help Dr. Phil is providing you. 

I also pray for her mom.  I can't even imagine how you must feel to watch this happen to your child.  I pray for strength to be there for your daughter.  There are people thinking of you and praying for you.       

It might help your daughters if they were aware of the fat acceptance movement. As well as HAES, Health at Any Size. Just search fat acceptance on your favorite websearch. I don't want to post any links here, cause as you can imagine, there are alot of mean people who love to harass those fighting for fat acceptance.

February 27, 2008, 2:28 pm CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: sister3

I read some of the letters people posted and didn't feel like any of them touched the whole problem. WHY did Dr Phil start the show with FAT people and the subject of obesity??? The doctors telling everyone that obesity is a growing problem, the health risks of being FAT. Okay..........then lets go to the anorexic guest and she's too thin and the health risks of being like her. Well, as a fat person my whole life, who has tried everything to be skinny, to the point that I have ruined my health but am still fat, I would much rather have the health risks and be skinny than the health risks that come with being fat!!!! And the anorexic woman is much more socially acceptable than a fat person, she has a disease, fat people just eat too much is what people believe. Well not all overweight people eat constantly or huge amounts of food. I would give anything to be thin!!!! Even my life.
I agree with you. It was really pathetic to start the show off like that. It seemed to me a bit of, "Please please don't hate us lucrative diet program promoters!"

February 27, 2008, 4:09 pm CST

deadly thin

i know how you feel...i too suffer from an eating disorder...not anorexia nor bulimia...i am over weight...i weight 256lbs and i am 5'1" ..i am 36 years old and i know what goes through your mind i too have been the victim of rape and assult...but i use food for a different reason...it comforts me..when all the voices in my head tell me negative things all day long...i am on prescription medication to help with my bipolar disorder....but i want you to know that you can get better you have to get it into your mind that things will turn around for you...you first have to trust...trust dr phil and all the other doctors that he got for you...trust is soo hard to understand yet its your first step to recovery...but when i saw you on t.v. i just had to tell you that you are a beautiful young intelligent woman with so much ahead of you...once you get your mind rewired to tell you that you are worth something then your healing can begin...but i trust that you will find it in your heart that dr phil knows what he's talking about ...and you will come to trust him and his staff of doctors you can get out of this negative thinking about yourself...and you will recover

February 27, 2008, 5:06 pm CST

Eating disorders

I have a friend that has an eating disorder. This girl need's to be put in a treatment program for eating disorders. I hope that she get's the help that she needs.

February 27, 2008, 7:49 pm CST

parents

Quote From: mel_physio

I just wanted to write a quick note to say that I personally know Aimee and her family and I think it's very important to make people aware that she has a VERY VERY supportive family!  Every family has their problems, but Aimee's weren't anything more than the average persons.  I think that people immediately assume that the parents were horrible people or something absolutely terrible happened to Aimee as a child,...but that may not always be the case.  With that said, I do believe that Aimee has inner struggles that need to be dealt with and to this point she has not been able to do that with the support she has been given.  I pray that through this experience that Aimee is able to have hope again and strength to get through the hard work ahead of her,...that she will have a renewal of her zest for life! 

Do you think Aimee's parents, well-meaning as they are,  have might have enabled her to remain anorexic?

Just like people that weigh so much that they can't get out of bed, people as emaciated and as deeply into anorexia as Aimee have to be getting some kind of assistance from their family to remain so enmeshed in their disease.

February 27, 2008, 8:52 pm CST

Just LOOK at Jennifer!!!!

My prayers are, of course with Aimee and her family. Treatment CAN work if Aimee is willing to give up some of the control that keeps her alone with her illness. I am praying that Aimee will venture outside of the 'familiar' and ALLOW others to help her!

I was completely in shock when I saw Jennifer! She is JUST beautiful and stunningly gorgeous!

I just had to post this! I actually wonder if Jennifer knows how utterly magnificent she looks! I watched the first show that featured Jennifer as a guest!

Just wanted to say....

Good work Jennifer! And, I do recognize that what you have accomplished requires work; Moving away from the familiar to embrace new and often uncomfortable change. YOU ARE SO worth it. You serve as a reminder to everyone who is still struggling that recovery is doable! I wanted to personally thank Jennifer for returning to the show to let us all of us know how she's doing! 

Jennifer you are an amazing young woman! I'm proud of you and the difficult work you've accomplished to get where you are now! You look incredible!

February 27, 2008, 9:45 pm CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: yoshiyoshi

I agree with you. It was really pathetic to start the show off like that. It seemed to me a bit of, "Please please don't hate us lucrative diet program promoters!"

I'm not only overweight, I'm morbidly obese.  I have never had a doctor speak to me in such a caring way as they all seem to speak to anorexics.  It's crazy for me too think of all of the doctor's who have yelled at me, made fun of me, and used eminent death as a taunt.  How does that help me to get better?

I could not believe it when Dr. Phil went and got her blanket and helped wrap it around her  shoulders!  As a fat person I would have been sweating like crazy, do you think he would have offered me a fan or anything? 

If obese patients were treated the way that anorexic patients are we would not have the "obesity epidemic" in America today.

I wish he would have me on a show, speak to me in that same caring tone of voice, and offer me the medical care to stabilize my body before I die prematurely from my overeating disorder!

February 28, 2008, 7:04 am CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: tracyc663

I'm not only overweight, I'm morbidly obese.  I have never had a doctor speak to me in such a caring way as they all seem to speak to anorexics.  It's crazy for me too think of all of the doctor's who have yelled at me, made fun of me, and used eminent death as a taunt.  How does that help me to get better?

I could not believe it when Dr. Phil went and got her blanket and helped wrap it around her  shoulders!  As a fat person I would have been sweating like crazy, do you think he would have offered me a fan or anything? 

If obese patients were treated the way that anorexic patients are we would not have the "obesity epidemic" in America today.

I wish he would have me on a show, speak to me in that same caring tone of voice, and offer me the medical care to stabilize my body before I die prematurely from my overeating disorder!

As someone who was had anorexia, I too have been yelled at by doctors, told they wouldn't see me, and also used death as a way to "cure" me.  They've committed me, and then yelled at me when I didn't get better.  My roommate who is over weight has had the same response from doctors. Both of us have also had, and currently have, great doctors that see us as a whole person.  Her doctor understands that her weight has to do with issues, and he is supportive of her no matter what her weight does, he knows she knows the health risks, and wants to lose the weight, but he also realizes it's not always that easy, when it comes from a psychological place.  My doctor is the same.  She cares for me as a whole being.  Even if I go in for a cold, she asks about how things are going in my "mental health".  She understands that I won't be weighed, they can tell by looking at you where you fit in the weight scale anyway, over, under, ideal.  Because I have had so many bad doctors, and my roommate is the same way, and I am an adult now, I won't stay with an ass of a doctor.  What's the use of having a doctor if you can't talk to them, and won't go for fear of being treated poorly.  I'm sorry your incounters have been so bad, nobody deserves that.  Go through your insurence list if you have to, but find someone who cares, they are out there.

February 28, 2008, 7:08 am CST

prayers for aimee

I have a 15 year old daughter who is struggling with an ED right now. At his time she is in a partial hospitalization program, but she has gone there before and it doesn't seem to be helping. I am shocked and outraged at the lack of resources in my community for anyone suffering from this. There is no parental support groups, counselors tell me "eating disorders are very complex and we do not deal with them" Her school has no awareness or prevention plans. While I am determined to eventually change all that, right now I need to focus on getting my daughter better.

I pray that Aimee will recover and I pray for peace for her family. The part of the show that affected me, even more than the graphic images was Aimee's mom saying that it was like watching a serial killer or rapist torture her daughter and she gets to watch it all.

That is exactly how it feels. You feel helpless, hopeless and lost.  I cannot imagine15 years of dealing with it. It has only been a year for me, and I am  an emotional wreck. I keep telling myself that because we discovered it early, there is hope for my daughter, but all the stories I read say different.The worst part is that my daughter, at this time, does not want to change. How do I change that??

Any other parents out there dealing with this please let me know!?

First | Prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | Next | Last