Message Boards

Topic : 02/25 Deadly Thin

Number of Replies: 195
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 22, 2008, 12:10:38 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine standing in front of a mirror and seeing an obese person staring back at you. Now imagine that this person looking back at you actually weighs only 60 pounds. Dr. Phil takes a look inside the mind of an anorexic and bulimic 28-year-old named Aimee, whose frame is so fragile after years of deprivation, doctors have said she has the bones of a 90-year-old woman. Her bulimia is so extreme, she vomits up to 150 times a day and by evening, sees blood. What dark secret from Aimee’s childhood could have set her on this path to self-destruction? And is she too far gone, or can she come back from her downward spiral before it’s too late? To answer these and other critical questions, Dr. Phil calls on his team of medical experts, The Doctors: Dr. Lisa Masterson, an OB/GYN; family therapist Dr. Tara Fields; pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears; plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon; and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork. Plus, Dr. Phil invites a previous guest who was starving for perfection to share her story. Will her personal triumph inspire Aimee to believe that recovery is within reach? Plus The Doctors address teen obesity. What's at stake in this new generation's battle of the bulge? Get in on the conversation!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 23, 2008, 10:57 am CST

Deadly Thin

Quote From: redfeathers

I don't know any personally, but it's possible for men to have eating disorders too. In fact, the consensus of anorexics in...(trying to remember....) I believe it was 2002, I could be mistaken, turned up a larger percentage of men than women.

When I saw the commercial for this episode, I was really scared for this woman. To be honest, I'm surprised she's not dead, or in the hospital, dying. To some of us it may seem rediculous that she is afriad of Dr. Phil thinking she's fat, but if she's that severe of an anorexic and bulimic, then she doesn't really see that she's wrong about it.

I feel sad for her too, because she's probably never going to be able to have kids. Even if Dr. Phil does save her, I think it's too late to save the possibility of children. My aunt had a friend who was anorexic, and she got help and recovered, but unfortunately the result was that she ended up sterile and can't have kids anymore. 

I really do hope Dr. Phil can help her. It's truely sad to see someone so far into an eating disorder like that.

It is not easy for anyone with any kind of eating disorder to just say okay I am going to stop. It is all part of how one is feeling. There are so many eating disorders but not eating because one feels "fat" can cause  a lot of pain due to so many reasons.

I am surprised she is not dead, too. She does need a lot of help but it is not always easy for one to want the help. I think in back of their minds they do. It is sad they can't have children if their body is too far gone with this disorder.

Yes, men, do have eating disorders, but it seems to be spoken more about women. Too many people also have eating disorders but it is not always due to Anorexic. In this case it is. I wish this young woman a lot of luck and hope she can get the help she needs. It is not just DR Phil getting her the help, but her family, too which they are trying to do.

It is a very scary situation for anyone to go through this. I hope she will be able to find the support she needs.

February 23, 2008, 12:07 pm CST

please pray for this young girl

Hi Dr. phil

I just hope that you can Help this young girl   I feel quite sorry I always cry when I see something like that

see you on Monday

Hwilson

February 23, 2008, 2:52 pm CST

Eating disorder - 60 lb girl

This is so sad.  How is she not in the hospital???   How  can someone throw up 150 times/day? 

There isn't time for anything else.   How can she even walk around???   I think her brain is so affected that she probably can't even think straight. 

She needs 24 hour intervention and care and I think that is what Dr. Phil is going to do.

Way to go - Dr. Phil.

Lindy Lou

February 23, 2008, 4:37 pm CST

hope you can help this young girl

Hi Dr. Phil

I can't believe that someone would go so far to lose weight that they would put their own health in jeopardy

I just hope that you can help this young lady. I mean I eat good and I always go on the weight scale .  My weight right now is 125 and I am happy with that even my husband Bill is happy  so if it makes him happy then I feel good .

can't wait to watch the show

see you on Monday Feb 25

Hannelore Wilson

February 23, 2008, 4:38 pm CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: mel_physio

I just wanted to write a quick note to say that I personally know Aimee and her family and I think it's very important to make people aware that she has a VERY VERY supportive family!  Every family has their problems, but Aimee's weren't anything more than the average persons.  I think that people immediately assume that the parents were horrible people or something absolutely terrible happened to Aimee as a child,...but that may not always be the case.  With that said, I do believe that Aimee has inner struggles that need to be dealt with and to this point she has not been able to do that with the support she has been given.  I pray that through this experience that Aimee is able to have hope again and strength to get through the hard work ahead of her,...that she will have a renewal of her zest for life! 

I don't assume that her parents are abusive or mean to her, I could tell by the pre-show that they were there for her and care about her, but she also said Dr. Phil was her last resort. I agree that this is more of an inner struggle that came from some kind of outside influence other than her family or friends. Sometimes people can have wonderful, loving families and still end up with eating disorders for other reasons. And with all that rediculous media pressure to be thin and beautiful, I can see how it happens.

February 23, 2008, 5:29 pm CST

frightened for this girl and others like her

As some one who struggles to gain weight due to health problems it kills me to see girls starving themselves to be thin,  I use to be overweight and slowly lost half the weight I wanted and then came to a standstill but I never considered this drastic way of losing weight..I loved food to much.

Now that my health is at risk I  have to be fed with a feeding tube and pray to gain weight. People don't realize I have a problem unless I tell them as I still have some weight on my bones but still the effects of not being able to absorb what I need is a struggle so with these girls literally starving themselves I can't imagine what damage they are unknowing doing to their bodies, I hope Dr. Phil can help them

February 23, 2008, 8:35 pm CST

You bet men can have eating disorders!

Quote From: ramair

While it seems to be mostly young women having eating disorders, I suspect that some boys, and even men in their fifties, could have them. My husband has a co-worker my age, 55, who has lost a lot of weight in a relatively short time. When we go to an all-you-can-eat place, even though "Brent" wastes most of his food, he still eats enough that he shouldn't still be losing weight. And, after he's finished eating, he always goes to the rest-room. To throw up? I'm beginning to wonder. Anyone else here know any men they suspect have eating disorders?

I wish the doctor Phil show would have a man vs. a women with eating disorders on his show because my X-husband whom I live with has one.  Anxiety disorders can also cause eating disorders to some degree.   One doesn't need to just throw up they can also be taking laxatives and suppositories.  The mental illness of this disease is devastating not only to the person who has it but to the family.  It is such a hidden secret... I will be anxious to see this show... and I hope Dr.Phil will follow up with this issue pertaining to men.

February 23, 2008, 8:52 pm CST

My heart goes to you and your family

This is a family's greatest struggle and they are help captive in her controlling world too.  We went through the early part of this journey with our daughter and got help and were able to redirect her to manage her disorder and live healthfully. 

One day I asked her to photograph herself and compare pictures of herself from before to the present.  I told her that I refused to bury her.  She took photos of herself and saw for herself what she had done to her body.  She had lost almost forty pounds and nine percent of her muscle mass through anarobic exercising. 

Rather than admit her into a hospital where she would lose all control of decisions for herself I gave her an option of my hiring a personal trainer to help her get "fit" but healthy and she had to do and eat everything the trainer advised.  She agreed.

Because rational thought is affected due to lack of carbohydrates, we had her drink a protein supplement to build muscle mass and she only weight trained, no running, and we mixed a carbohydrate powder into her protein drink.  Within a few weeks, she was reasonable in her thinking and we could communicate better with her.

I pray this family finds strength to continue to fight with her and not bury her.  And yet, I understand if they cannot.  Bless them.

February 23, 2008, 9:31 pm CST

none

I know shows like this help people and I appreciate the awareness they bring. I wish that he could do it without the graphic pictures.  I have spent everyday since the hurricane, hanging on for dearlife with my eating disorder, having to watch the preview was like someone stomping on my figures.  I realize tv's can be turned off, but when the preview first came on there was little I could do.  Last week I did not watch dr phil knowing it would be previewed again and when the weekly shows were sent to my inbox for this week I deleted it so I wouldn't see it everyday in my inbox.  I fight depression, DID, anxiety, I'd rather stay away from people then infect myself in their life.  Monday I have to get rid of my cat, luckly he is going back to his "dad", because of some abuse I am not consciously aware of, and I know that he the cat is a trigger, and I worry about his safety.  I have a contract with my therapist not to take any pills or cut uncontrollabley, I am only able to even write this because I've had a few drinks...don't feel any better, but at least I feel enough to care a little.  As things are right now anyone in their right mind would end it all, but I am strubburn and a fighter, and with all that stuff I still believe there has to be a way out, a solution.  That's why it makes me so sad, that as hard as I fight everyday for some resemblence of a life, that something as simple as being able to eat normally, to not have to hide any eviedence I've eaten, that the shame and failure of food is what will probably kill me.

February 24, 2008, 12:18 am CST

I love you, Aimee!

Aimee and her mom are close personal friends of mine.  They are a lovely Christian family and are always reaching out to others.  In the past, when I was going through some personal problems and surgery, Pat and Aimee picked me up and drove me to doctor appointments.  Never did Pat (Aimee's mom) ever give up!  As long as there is life, there is hope!  God can do wonderful miracles, even today.  He uses regular people like Dr. Phil and others to touch Aimee's heart.  Aimee is a vibrant, intelligent young lady with an eating disorder.  It breaks my heart to see the whole family suffer.  PLEASE, if you are a Christian join me in agreeance to pray to God for Aimee to receive deliverance from this disorder.  And for her to choose life and accept the help offered to her.  I believe that Aimee will regain her health and I look forward to the days when she is back to her old self.  She is so full of empathy and love for others.  God has a mighty plan for her life!  I love you, Aimee!  See you soon. God bless you and keep you, sweetheart!     

Love - Liz, Rhonda and Bella  xoxoxoxoxoxo

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last