Message Boards

Topic : 02/25 Deadly Thin

Number of Replies: 195
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 22, 2008, 12:10:38 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine standing in front of a mirror and seeing an obese person staring back at you. Now imagine that this person looking back at you actually weighs only 60 pounds. Dr. Phil takes a look inside the mind of an anorexic and bulimic 28-year-old named Aimee, whose frame is so fragile after years of deprivation, doctors have said she has the bones of a 90-year-old woman. Her bulimia is so extreme, she vomits up to 150 times a day and by evening, sees blood. What dark secret from Aimee’s childhood could have set her on this path to self-destruction? And is she too far gone, or can she come back from her downward spiral before it’s too late? To answer these and other critical questions, Dr. Phil calls on his team of medical experts, The Doctors: Dr. Lisa Masterson, an OB/GYN; family therapist Dr. Tara Fields; pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears; plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon; and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork. Plus, Dr. Phil invites a previous guest who was starving for perfection to share her story. Will her personal triumph inspire Aimee to believe that recovery is within reach? Plus The Doctors address teen obesity. What's at stake in this new generation's battle of the bulge? Get in on the conversation!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 24, 2008, 4:24 am CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Tikker12: God bless you for your tremendous efforts. You have made great strides when you've learned which things are upsetting to you. We have days in our house when all we watch are"The Andy Griffith Show" reruns. Covenants said: "Rather than admit her into a hospital where she would lose all control of decisions for herself I gave her an option of my hiring a personal trainer to help her get "fit" but healthy and she had to do and eat everything the trainer advised. She agreed." What a brilliant plan. I've always thought that just telling anorexics to eat, is far too general and too frightening to them. Even a strict 1000 calorie diet would be a step forward for most of them. Better to eat a controlled, low-calorie diet and keep it down, than to binge and purge. -------------------------------------------------------------------- What a messed up world we live in where people equate beauty with extreme thinness. When I was thirteen I was constantly trying to gain weight to look more like the stars of the day, Sophia Loren and Marilyn Monroe. Many of my friends in ballet gave it up when we turned teenage because they didn't want to develop visible muscles in their legs. Women simply did not have muscles in their arms or legs. My boyfriend once touched my stomach and then jerked his hand away in disgust because he said he could feel the muscles, where I had been doing sit-ups. A woman's abdomen was supposed to be softly rounded. Now we have women starving themselves as though their own healthy flesh was something to be ashamed of -- then having bags of saline inserted into their chests to replace the breasts they lost from dieting. When will we stop distorting our bodies to please the ever changing desires of fashion and men? We should strive for good health and good health only.

February 24, 2008, 4:51 am CST

ITS SCARY

My heart goes out to this lady to be so thin and still think you are fat its all in the mind

my God its so scary. I pray its not too late for Dr Phill to help her. She looks far gone

to me. Praying for her.

February 24, 2008, 4:59 am CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: lindylou3

This is so sad.  How is she not in the hospital???   How  can someone throw up 150 times/day? 

There isn't time for anything else.   How can she even walk around???   I think her brain is so affected that she probably can't even think straight. 

She needs 24 hour intervention and care and I think that is what Dr. Phil is going to do.

Way to go - Dr. Phil.

Lindy Lou

Isn't is amazing how much abuse the human body can take and still function?(Well, semi-function) I so hope this young woman can get past this and go on to live a fulfilling life.

February 24, 2008, 8:42 am CST

BODY DYSMORPHIC DISORDER - THE BROKEN MIRROR

Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) is a psychological disease characterized with an obsession of perceived flaws in the sufferer's appearance. In reality these flaws are minimal or nonexistent, yet to the sufferer they are very real and can create extreme anxiety, obsessive thoughts, and compulsive behaviors.  Some of my favorite reads that provide a great introduction and insight into the subject are: 

The Broken Mirror:  Understanding and Treating Body Dysmorphic Disorder by Katharine Phillips

Eating Disorders by Pamela Keel OR Good Eater:  The True Story of One Man's Struggle With Binge Eating Disorder by Ron Saxen

A Bright Red Scream:  Self-Mutilation and the Language of Pain by Marilee Strong

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm

Healing Anxiety and Depression (7 types of anxiety and depression) by Daniel Amen and Lisa Routh OR Getting Help:  The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Self-Assessment and Treatment of Mental Health Problems by Jeffrey Wood

Because the perceived physical defect in BDD isn't apparent to others, BDD can be a difficult disease to understand, accept, seek help and treat.  The late Princess Diana, also suffered from the eating disorders that characterize between 35 to 80 percent of all cutters. 

Hope it helps!

February 24, 2008, 6:23 pm CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Throwing up 150 times a day. I don't believe it. Somebody better give that thin girl a real wake up call. As skinny as she is, she afraid Dr. Phil will think she's FAT. That was just in the previews. I havent seen the show yet. I bet she still is trying to loose more weight. She better realize if she loses 20 or 30 more pounds. She may be DEAD.

February 25, 2008, 5:55 am CST

I have had it with these shows

I will not be watching this, AGAIN!  WHY do you give these mentally ill people popularity?  They want this kind of attention!  I really don't think these show help anyone with the disease, I think it gives them a "goal" to be as thin and getting all that attention!  Dr. Phil, you should visit one of the websites for these people, they support each other!  Stop showing these people!  Help them behind the scenes, then show us a before and after when they are healthy again.

February 25, 2008, 7:13 am CST

i always wondered

I knew aimee in middle\high school she was a beautiful girl who was very interested in modelling,when it came time to realize her dream she started becoming distant ,staying up all night jogging and doing situps until she was in pain.Next thing we knew she was in the hospital and we never saw her again I always wondered what happened to her and then I saw her on Dr. Phil and thought  oh my god! who knew her downward spiral would last this long .  My heart goes out to her family who have supported her this long . I hope Dr. phil can help but this is no easy fix.

February 25, 2008, 7:17 am CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

I saw the previews for this show and was very afraid to watch.  Mainly because I am the mother of a 19 year old daughter who I'm afraid is on her way to a situation like Aimee's.  During high school she has always struggled with self esteem, which of course her dad and I could not understand, and still cannot.  She is beautiful, has the figure most women would die for and can sing like an angel.  But it doesn't matter.  For some reason she hates herself.  We have been to numerous counselors and even contemplated a treatment center, but her counselor thought she probably wouldn't be admitted because she wasn't physically sick.   The weird thing is she doesn't purge, (that we know of), but she has taken laxatives and when she eats, she hates herself for it.  She is always on the scale.  She goes to school in NY and I know she struggles with it emotionally constantly.  Even having a boyfriend who treats her like a queen doesn't seem to help.  I am scared to death for her.  I don't want to see this happen to her and want her to find a way to love herself again, like she did when she was a little girl.  Help, please.

February 25, 2008, 7:21 am CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: olddiane

I will not be watching this, AGAIN!  WHY do you give these mentally ill people popularity?  They want this kind of attention!  I really don't think these show help anyone with the disease, I think it gives them a "goal" to be as thin and getting all that attention!  Dr. Phil, you should visit one of the websites for these people, they support each other!  Stop showing these people!  Help them behind the scenes, then show us a before and after when they are healthy again.
I'm sorry, but it obvious that you have not had a loved one go through anything like this.  Attention!!!  That is usually the last thing they want.  Do not judge until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

February 25, 2008, 7:26 am CST

Or tomorrow..

Quote From: BrianX29

Throwing up 150 times a day. I don't believe it. Somebody better give that thin girl a real wake up call. As skinny as she is, she afraid Dr. Phil will think she's FAT. That was just in the previews. I havent seen the show yet. I bet she still is trying to loose more weight. She better realize if she loses 20 or 30 more pounds. She may be DEAD.

I don't think she has 20 or 30 more pounds to lose,  she's already about 60 lbs.   She'd have to decay a little to get much thinner.  Most adults her size would be on a gurney, almost dead.  Her electrolytes are so out of balance that she could end up with a heart attack/heart failure, at 28 years old!  That's something a 70-year-old would die of!  I'm surprised the dehydration factor hasn't done her in yet with seizures and brain damage that can occur.

I'm GLAD Dr.Phil is doing this show for girls that may be anorexic now, to say, "this is an extreme case" and your disease can kill you or cause permanent organ damage if you don't get help.  I hope Aimee recovers and can get back to living a healthy life!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last