Message Boards

Topic : 02/25 Deadly Thin

Number of Replies: 195
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 22, 2008, 12:10:38 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine standing in front of a mirror and seeing an obese person staring back at you. Now imagine that this person looking back at you actually weighs only 60 pounds. Dr. Phil takes a look inside the mind of an anorexic and bulimic 28-year-old named Aimee, whose frame is so fragile after years of deprivation, doctors have said she has the bones of a 90-year-old woman. Her bulimia is so extreme, she vomits up to 150 times a day and by evening, sees blood. What dark secret from Aimee’s childhood could have set her on this path to self-destruction? And is she too far gone, or can she come back from her downward spiral before it’s too late? To answer these and other critical questions, Dr. Phil calls on his team of medical experts, The Doctors: Dr. Lisa Masterson, an OB/GYN; family therapist Dr. Tara Fields; pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears; plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon; and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork. Plus, Dr. Phil invites a previous guest who was starving for perfection to share her story. Will her personal triumph inspire Aimee to believe that recovery is within reach? Plus The Doctors address teen obesity. What's at stake in this new generation's battle of the bulge? Get in on the conversation!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 25, 2008, 7:38 am CST

BDD

Quote From: housewife52

Isn't is amazing how much abuse the human body can take and still function?(Well, semi-function) I so hope this young woman can get past this and go on to live a fulfilling life.
I JUST HAD A LOOK AT THE BDD THEORY AND IT CLEARLY STATE THAT A PERSON TENDS  TO FOCUS HEAVELY ON THE PART THAT THEY DO NOT LIKE ABOUT THEIR BODY AND THEY START MAKING CHANGES. BUT THE DESCRIPTION DOESN'T END HERE, IT FURTHER GOES ON TO SAY THAT THE VICTIMS ARE NEVER SATISFIED EVEN AFTER THEY CHANGE WHAT THEY WANT TO CHANGE. SO THE PROBLEM HERE IS CLEARLY MENTAL AND THE CONSEQUENCE IS BODILY HARM. WHEN TREATING A PERSON WITH SUCH A PROBLEM I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT EMPHASIS BE PUT ON THE IMPORTANCE OF STAYING ALIVE, WHETHER IT IS FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE KIDS, SIBLINGS OR WHATEVER IT MAY  BE.

February 25, 2008, 7:43 am CST

OLDDAINE

Quote From: wdisneynut

I'm sorry, but it obvious that you have not had a loved one go through anything like this.  Attention!!!  That is usually the last thing they want.  Do not judge until you've walked a mile in their shoes.
I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU WOULD BE SO MEAN, TURN A NEGATIVE INTO A POSITIVE. SOME MAY COME HERE SEEKING ATTENTION BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY THEY LIVE WITH A BETTER MIND SET. DR. PHIL IS DOING QUITE WELL BY ADVICING THESE PEOPLE AND GIVING THEM THE SUPPORT THEY NEED. YES THEY MAY BE CRYING OUT FOR ATTENTION, BUT THIS IS A DISORDER NOT A POPULARITY CONTEST. HELP DR. PHIL TO HELP OTHERS

February 25, 2008, 9:09 am CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: tikker12

I know shows like this help people and I appreciate the awareness they bring. I wish that he could do it without the graphic pictures.  I have spent everyday since the hurricane, hanging on for dearlife with my eating disorder, having to watch the preview was like someone stomping on my figures.  I realize tv's can be turned off, but when the preview first came on there was little I could do.  Last week I did not watch dr phil knowing it would be previewed again and when the weekly shows were sent to my inbox for this week I deleted it so I wouldn't see it everyday in my inbox.  I fight depression, DID, anxiety, I'd rather stay away from people then infect myself in their life.  Monday I have to get rid of my cat, luckly he is going back to his "dad", because of some abuse I am not consciously aware of, and I know that he the cat is a trigger, and I worry about his safety.  I have a contract with my therapist not to take any pills or cut uncontrollabley, I am only able to even write this because I've had a few drinks...don't feel any better, but at least I feel enough to care a little.  As things are right now anyone in their right mind would end it all, but I am strubburn and a fighter, and with all that stuff I still believe there has to be a way out, a solution.  That's why it makes me so sad, that as hard as I fight everyday for some resemblence of a life, that something as simple as being able to eat normally, to not have to hide any eviedence I've eaten, that the shame and failure of food is what will probably kill me.

I think it's very telling that the image of you (that is you, isn't it?) that you have with your posting is extremely blurred....kind of says to me that you don't see yourself clearly and don't want others to either.

You say you are seeing a therapist, and that's good....but, is this therapist truly helping you? It doesn't sound like it....however, I don't know where you were before you began therapy...but it's obvious that you have a long way to go, and I sure hope you are able to get where you need to be.

You said you were "stubborn and a fighter"..I hope for your sake that is true...but, the last line of your post concerns me because it indicates that you have given up and are resigned to dying.

You also said that you have a "contract" with your therapist not to take pills or to cut yourself uncontrollably.....However, I will tell you that it is still morning and you're already drinking, and that will undermine any progress you may make. If your present therapy isn't doing enough, I hope you will seek more help. If one thing doesn't help, you have to try another.  There are many resources available. 

Your life is  valuable, and you can contribute something to society if you choose to do so. One way to help yourself is to get your focus off yourself and help others. Our personal problems are never so little as when we see those who are so much worse off, and we find that we can make a difference in their lives. 

February 25, 2008, 9:35 am CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: wdisneynut

I'm sorry, but it obvious that you have not had a loved one go through anything like this.  Attention!!!  That is usually the last thing they want.  Do not judge until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

You are quite mistaken about these people not wanting attention! Yes, they do. MANY, (not all) of these young women start this whole eating disorder BECAUSE they want constant attention and they do not want to grow up. They don't want to have periods, or go out into the world and take care of themselves.  Life is hard...it's easier to just fall down and let someone pet your head and take care of you 24/7. Their parents enable them, give up their own lives and focus totally on the one with the eating disorder; they allow themselves to be held hostage. For this type of anorexic, I have very little sympathy. 

And, yes, I HAVE had much experience with anorexic friends and other people with whom I've come into contact. Not every one has the "I-don't-want-to-grow-up mentality...some do start out by being affected by the comments of stupid people telling them they are fat. They already have no self-esteem and that just pushes them over the edge. Or they have been molested, feel out of control and then decide that the only thing they CAN control is their food.  Pretty soon, because of poor nutrition, they are unable to think properly and the disease becomes a monster that overtakes them and they no longer have the brain function necessary to turn themselves around on their own.

What I have never understood is why parents ignore the warning signs and don't get these girls into treatment WAY before it reaches the point of no return. If you are in tune with your child you know when something isn't right. You put them into treatment immediately.  And you don't allow them to just "walk out" of a treatment center, either. If you don't make it so easy for them to come home,  they are a little less likely to leave treatment. It's called "Tough Love"...and it works if you catch this immediately.

February 25, 2008, 9:56 am CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Its a nightmare to have someone you know whit some kind of eating disorder. One of my friends was depressed for a long time even tried to kill herself and got somekind of eating disorder. Her ideal weight, her goal was to have a weight of 83-84pounds. Luckly she is more healty now, but the ghosts in her (and others with somekind of eating disorder) head will probobly never disappear.
Another really scary thing with all eating disorders is that it is so hard to get treatment for it. I have read blogs from girls with anorexia or bulemia who tried to get better. Either was they too sick to get help or not sick enough for getting any help at all.

February 25, 2008, 10:25 am CST

Just a switch?

Quote From: cndrlla

I think it's very telling that the image of you (that is you, isn't it?) that you have with your posting is extremely blurred....kind of says to me that you don't see yourself clearly and don't want others to either.

You say you are seeing a therapist, and that's good....but, is this therapist truly helping you? It doesn't sound like it....however, I don't know where you were before you began therapy...but it's obvious that you have a long way to go, and I sure hope you are able to get where you need to be.

You said you were "stubborn and a fighter"..I hope for your sake that is true...but, the last line of your post concerns me because it indicates that you have given up and are resigned to dying.

You also said that you have a "contract" with your therapist not to take pills or to cut yourself uncontrollably.....However, I will tell you that it is still morning and you're already drinking, and that will undermine any progress you may make. If your present therapy isn't doing enough, I hope you will seek more help. If one thing doesn't help, you have to try another.  There are many resources available. 

Your life is  valuable, and you can contribute something to society if you choose to do so. One way to help yourself is to get your focus off yourself and help others. Our personal problems are never so little as when we see those who are so much worse off, and we find that we can make a difference in their lives. 

So by your rationale, she should just turn on a switch and get better?  That doesn't happen.  She could help all the people she wants, but it's NOT going to stop the anxiety, the depression, or the cutting. 

Anorexia is about CONTROL issues, NOT attention.  People with eating disorders try to HIDE it, not make it known.  I hate it when people make light of a mental illness and say "oh, they just want attention".  If the parents said that, their daughters would end up dead- they need enough attention to get help. 

They're not "little girls who don't want to grow up", they have low self esteem about the control in their lives, and it mutates into a perception issue.  They need professional help to deal with any underlying issues instead of someone callously telling them to grow up.  Why don't you just call them fat, too?  Chipping away at a fragile self esteem is NOT what they need.

February 25, 2008, 10:40 am CST

You are 20% correct and 80% wrong!

Quote From: olddiane

I will not be watching this, AGAIN!  WHY do you give these mentally ill people popularity?  They want this kind of attention!  I really don't think these show help anyone with the disease, I think it gives them a "goal" to be as thin and getting all that attention!  Dr. Phil, you should visit one of the websites for these people, they support each other!  Stop showing these people!  Help them behind the scenes, then show us a before and after when they are healthy again.

You are so right and so wrong. Yes, there ARE website (sick, bad websites) where those WHO HAVEN"T GOTTEN help for their illnesses and who haven't hit rock bottom YET egg eachother on to be more thin. Eventually they will become like today's guest. They will become ill, their hearts will start to give out, their hair will start to fall out and they will no longer be able to be on any website.

The rest of your post is wrong and cruel. They are not mentally ill. I studied the disease (briefly) in a college course and was partnered up with a woman who was anorexic. She went from being a beautiful, thin, athletic blond to being a sickly looking woman who didn't even realize how badly she looked. She was in couseling, had returned to school after being hospitalized and was trying her best to beat her illness. She, along with textbooks and professors, helped me to better understand the illness.

Yes, the disease starts out as a control issue. Eating is the one area these young women can have control in their lives. It's also the area where they can get attention. But  then the disease (the compulsion) takes over them. Then they become a slave to it and often can't escape its grasp without professional help. Parents often don't even know their girls have the disease until it's well into full effect. The girls are good at hiding it; they eat and then vomit in private. They wear larger baggy clothing around their folks. They say all the right things.

You need to show compassion. Kids will make mistakes. And some mistakes have horrible consequences. Not everyone has parents who will get them professional help. Not everyone can afford professional help.

If this show helps JUST ONE girl get healthy by exposing the problem to more parents, than I am thankful to Dr. Phil.

February 25, 2008, 12:14 pm CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Dear Lord, this young woman needs help NOW!  Why is she not in the hospital?!  I can't imagine enabling someone to get to this point...I'm surprised she's able to stand.  At what point do we decide to do more then to just sit idlely by and watch this poor lady destroy herself, her life.

I had to turn the channel at points, it was so difficult to see her struggle to the point where she's literally a skeleton.  It's sickening, and my heart goes out to this woman.  She needs to know that she HAS to change, stop getting pity and negative attention from people, and deal with her anger that's leading her to do this to herself.

I pray for her recovery, although I wonder how long she has left?  God Bless.

February 25, 2008, 12:21 pm CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

I was so touched by Dr. Phil's sensitivity towards Amy today and I cried when Dr. Phil hugged her.  (I was so trying not to cry from the beggining of the show but after the hug I just lost it.)  I could tell he really cares, understands her control issues and I do hope Amy takes advantage of all the help  Dr. Phil's staff has gathered for her and we will be seeing a new and improved Amy in a year from now.  It was a hard show to watch because Amy looks so sickly.  I do hope those who are on the course Amy is will think twice about seeking out help before they shrink to Amy's size.  I understand why people are angry this show was aired but if one individual was shocked into reality and saved from this course then kudos to Dr. Phil and his staff.  Not all things is life are easy to "see" and not seeing them would be worse. 

February 25, 2008, 12:26 pm CST

My heart breaks for this girl

You know, up until now I never understood this diesese?? And now after seeing this showm it doesn't matter if I understand it or not. My heart BREAKS for this girl. Well I feel shes on the right show to try and get some help. I can't tell you how sad I am about Amy. I wish her the very best in getting the help she needs. Shes on the right track by being with Dr Phil. Good luck Amy. I really am praying you get better.

Diamondhead

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last