Message Boards

Topic : 02/25 Deadly Thin

Number of Replies: 195
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 22, 2008, 12:10:38 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine standing in front of a mirror and seeing an obese person staring back at you. Now imagine that this person looking back at you actually weighs only 60 pounds. Dr. Phil takes a look inside the mind of an anorexic and bulimic 28-year-old named Aimee, whose frame is so fragile after years of deprivation, doctors have said she has the bones of a 90-year-old woman. Her bulimia is so extreme, she vomits up to 150 times a day and by evening, sees blood. What dark secret from Aimee’s childhood could have set her on this path to self-destruction? And is she too far gone, or can she come back from her downward spiral before it’s too late? To answer these and other critical questions, Dr. Phil calls on his team of medical experts, The Doctors: Dr. Lisa Masterson, an OB/GYN; family therapist Dr. Tara Fields; pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears; plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon; and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork. Plus, Dr. Phil invites a previous guest who was starving for perfection to share her story. Will her personal triumph inspire Aimee to believe that recovery is within reach? Plus The Doctors address teen obesity. What's at stake in this new generation's battle of the bulge? Get in on the conversation!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 25, 2008, 12:27 pm CST

Brain Challenges

Quote From: gwarrior6

So by your rationale, she should just turn on a switch and get better?  That doesn't happen.  She could help all the people she wants, but it's NOT going to stop the anxiety, the depression, or the cutting. 

Anorexia is about CONTROL issues, NOT attention.  People with eating disorders try to HIDE it, not make it known.  I hate it when people make light of a mental illness and say "oh, they just want attention".  If the parents said that, their daughters would end up dead- they need enough attention to get help. 

They're not "little girls who don't want to grow up", they have low self esteem about the control in their lives, and it mutates into a perception issue.  They need professional help to deal with any underlying issues instead of someone callously telling them to grow up.  Why don't you just call them fat, too?  Chipping away at a fragile self esteem is NOT what they need.

I am also a recovering anorexic at age 43.  I spent my entire youth as overweight with my wedding gown being a size 20.  Something sort of went hay wire for me around age 36 and I started having anxiety issues that got worse and worse. One of my coping mechanisims was to loose weight....I could at least control that.  Loosing weight for a person who has been historically overweight was intoxicating.  It got to a point where I could no longer control it , sort of like a runaway train that builds momentum.  It was not the worst time in my life, but it was undeniably the strangest time of my life. Not "fueling" your head leaves you in a constant state of numbness and mental "haze". It allowed me to "opt" out of life for at least 6 years. What I regret is that  I lost time ,not to mention the other physical deficeits that this disease leaves you with. Like any addiction to begin to heal, it requires the most difficult thing to admit to.....SURRENDER!!!!!

February 25, 2008, 12:27 pm CST

Brain Challenges

Quote From: gwarrior6

So by your rationale, she should just turn on a switch and get better?  That doesn't happen.  She could help all the people she wants, but it's NOT going to stop the anxiety, the depression, or the cutting. 

Anorexia is about CONTROL issues, NOT attention.  People with eating disorders try to HIDE it, not make it known.  I hate it when people make light of a mental illness and say "oh, they just want attention".  If the parents said that, their daughters would end up dead- they need enough attention to get help. 

They're not "little girls who don't want to grow up", they have low self esteem about the control in their lives, and it mutates into a perception issue.  They need professional help to deal with any underlying issues instead of someone callously telling them to grow up.  Why don't you just call them fat, too?  Chipping away at a fragile self esteem is NOT what they need.

I am also a recovering anorexic at age 43.  I spent my entire youth as overweight with my wedding gown being a size 20.  Something sort of went hay wire for me around age 36 and I started having anxiety issues that got worse and worse. One of my coping mechanisims was to loose weight....I could at least control that.  Loosing weight for a person who has been historically overweight was intoxicating.  It got to a point where I could no longer control it , sort of like a runaway train that builds momentum.  It was not the worst time in my life, but it was undeniably the strangest time of my life. Not "fueling" your head leaves you in a constant state of numbness and mental "haze". It allowed me to "opt" out of life for at least 6 years. What I regret is that  I lost time ,not to mention the other physical deficeits that this disease leaves you with. Like any addiction to begin to heal, it requires the most difficult thing to admit to.....SURRENDER!!!!!

February 25, 2008, 12:30 pm CST

Bulemia

I just don't get it. Aimee eats more than I do. Where can it go? She has no stomach. After meals, if I eat too much I will vomit, but that's just because I am full. How in the world can she eat all of that food with no tummy to hold it. I just don't get it. I used to be anorexic. Now I just purge when I am full, but I am a big girl. I I weigh 140 lbs. I have a normal tummy so it can hold a lot. But I just can't eat, so when I do eat and get full I have to purge, so I will be able to function. But I only purge when I'm full, usually once a day. Where does all of that food go when she eats. She is an actual skeleton. So sad. Such a beautiful girl. I hope Dr. Phil can help her.

February 25, 2008, 12:51 pm CST

sister lost to this disease

I have a sister that went through this and due to no help in our area she lost her fight at 38 years old. It  just amazed us that every door we knocked on was shut in our face due to she did not fit the in patient profile and out patient was not covered under her health plan. Some where and maybe with Dr Phil's help awarness may be brought to the for front and help will be there for someone else's daughter, sister or Mother.

To have to listen to her say my stomach hurts and the only coment from her primary doctor was" you are starving yourself" yes in his world this was the problem but in hers, her stomach hurt. In her mind if you did not put food in then the stomach did not hurt.

I know unless you see this first hand you can not have a good grasp at how this can destroy a family. We ask ourself on a daily basics what did we miss, why could we not have saved her.  When we figured out it was too late, she had destroyed her body and threw a blood clot which had to be wittnessed by her husband and daughter (who was 8 years old) I truly do not believe that she intended to die, it was bigger than her. 

My prayer is that Dr Phil will help her and she has a wonderful support system if they will just keep fighting for her. May God bless you Dr Phil for bringing this out in the light.

February 25, 2008, 12:57 pm CST

you get real dr.phil

my god cannot you see that this gal is severely mentally ill?  that anorexia for her is a symptom of some very serious mental problem?  the other (blonde) gal is obviously normal.  the gal with the glasses  who was sitting on the floor with the pickles is a looney.   she needs to be intstitutionalized and force fed with a iv.  get real dr.phil... you cannot seriously think you can reach this gal....

February 25, 2008, 1:12 pm CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: anon_slc

Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) is a psychological disease characterized with an obsession of perceived flaws in the sufferer's appearance. In reality these flaws are minimal or nonexistent, yet to the sufferer they are very real and can create extreme anxiety, obsessive thoughts, and compulsive behaviors.  Some of my favorite reads that provide a great introduction and insight into the subject are: 

The Broken Mirror:  Understanding and Treating Body Dysmorphic Disorder by Katharine Phillips

Eating Disorders by Pamela Keel OR Good Eater:  The True Story of One Man's Struggle With Binge Eating Disorder by Ron Saxen

A Bright Red Scream:  Self-Mutilation and the Language of Pain by Marilee Strong

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm

Healing Anxiety and Depression (7 types of anxiety and depression) by Daniel Amen and Lisa Routh OR Getting Help:  The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Self-Assessment and Treatment of Mental Health Problems by Jeffrey Wood

Because the perceived physical defect in BDD isn't apparent to others, BDD can be a difficult disease to understand, accept, seek help and treat.  The late Princess Diana, also suffered from the eating disorders that characterize between 35 to 80 percent of all cutters. 

Hope it helps!

Just out of curiosity, do you actually READ all these books you post on every subject that is on the show?

Just askin'.....   :)

February 25, 2008, 1:13 pm CST

THE AMY STORY

Dr. Phil .... I am very hurt to see this lovely woman suffering like this ...... OMG!!! ..... I hope you can help her ..... well I am sure you can but I hope she will want the help ..... I use to have the same problem I was bulimia and anorexia ..... I was suffering from a lot of problems .... I did not want to be  FAT cause my grandmother she was ....... and I did not wanted to be alone .....cause no one likes you when you are FAT....  then I got on drugs and alcohol ....

I started bulimia at ten or eleven years old till I got pregnant  ...... my weight was from 96 pounds .....cause of the drugs and drinking heavily  to about 115 pounds ..... but.. when.. I became pregnant.. well... I knew I had to stop ..... I got the help ....but did  NOT stick to it  ..... what.. I mean about that..... was this now .... I am 46 yrs ... I am 5'2 270 pounds ..... OH!! ... the baby is a male ..... he's 22yrs  ...... but back to me ..... I was to stick with the counseling ..... cause ...I had made a big change for myself... as you know Dr. Phil..... so I don't have to go on and on about that  ....

and now I am obese .... my family is very proud of me.... cause..... I am off the drugs and alcohol....  and eating right..... but the wrong food  ..... well.... my point is ....that I hope Amy gets herself together.... get all the help you need.... even when you think you are fine .....and you think you can manage by yourself trust me you CAN'T  ...... if the professional say you can now manage by yourself .....then trust me..... Amy or whomever reads this .......THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE SAYING  ..... please please trust them ..... I did not do that ....thats why I am obese .....I went from NOT eating to fit in sociality  world.... to just want to eat myself crazy ..... cause sociality world is a big fake.....

it don't really like you .....just want to see you in pain to make them feel good..... I have been in a lot of abuse relationships..... I just wanted a guy to love me for me ....and all they did was love me for my cute shape...... and show me off to their friends and family ...... so Amy I don't know why you are hurting .... but you can feel good about yourself .....and stop and think how your Mommy is hurting.... trust me ....I am a Mommy and she is hurting very deeply.... cause you are her baby ....now I know you are a woman.... but you will always be her baby.... and thats just it ...... so think of your Mommy and I know you don't want to hurt her ..... cause I start thinking how I once hurt my Mommy ....

and thats how I got myself together ...... I hope you can get the help and stick with it ...... if I was there Amy.... I would let you see me ...... I am obese ..... and I feel fine about myself .... I need help just like you .... we both are in danger ..... and after watching you Amy I want to eat the right food and exercise ..... so maybe we can help each other in our weight battle ....... okay .....I better end this letter before I will become a GUEST ....

February 25, 2008, 1:18 pm CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: rixiegirl

My sister-in-law is 51 and has become sickly thin.  She claims that she went to Weight Watchers but I know better.  If you get 5 pounds below your goal Weight Watchers will not weigh you anymore and you have to bring in a doctor's note to return.  This woman is about 5 foot 8 inches tall and weighs no more than 110 pounds.  What could cause a women of this age to become anorexic or bulimic or both?  I think I'd rather be fat.
I am 43 and am 5'8 and weigh 112. I have an eating disorder.  Yes, your sisterin-law probably has a disorder.  I struggled with anorexia in my late teens/early 20's.  I managed to get help and was OK for 20 years!  Then at age 41 the ugly disease resurfaced.  Anorexia and Eating Disorders are never CURED.  They may be "dormant" for years, but the person has to be careful with their thinking and habits.  My "problem" resurfaced when I had a traumatic thing happened in my life.  Now I have struggled again to get myself back on rack.  Your sister-in-law most likely won't admit she has a problem until she is ready to seek help.  She will deny it and make up excuses as to why she is thin and losing weight.  She will avoid eating with others.  Hopefully her husband is "onto her" and will try to reach her!  Talk to him and make sure he is aware of the disease.  Get him reading material.  I wish her them best.  It's a horrible disease.  I feel fortunate to be past it and on the way to recovery for the SECOND time.  There is no age limit for this disease, it just seems more common in teens.

February 25, 2008, 1:19 pm CST

Pat

Aimee's mom is such an amazing person. What she said about watching her child go through all this really touched me. It must be agony for Pat, getting up every day buying all that food, watching her daughter eat it, hoping that just this once she'll keep it down, and then seeing her purge -- over and over a hundred times a day.
I'm so glad that Aimee is going into the hospital, not only for her sake but to give Pat a rest from this constant anxiety.
I'm hoping and praying that Aimee has a turning point at the clinic and sees that she is a wonderful and worthy person who hasn't done anything "bad." I also hope she realizes that she will still be loved and cared about just as much, after her weight returns to normal.

February 25, 2008, 1:21 pm CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: hpmx59

Deadly Doctor Phil Thin. Are you kidding me? I  weigh amost 127 pounds and loving it. I donot care how---

much you weigh at all. See you on Monday Feburary 25th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------

My name is samantha and I had a baby on 12-1-07 and my husband and I was so broke up about it now I wanna lose some weight and it has been so hard for me. I went on and bought a treadmill and I workout than I seem to keep eating the old food I just think I cannot give up my occacial fast food. I once thought about throwing up my food alot but you know once you start something I know I would be scared I could not stop. I just wanted to do it long enough to get down to the weight I wanted to be at. I also have Bi polar so my weight really bothers me. I weigh 185 pounds the biggest I have ever been and all this compition in the world does not help either. please write me back thank you have a good day samantha Burch

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last