Message Boards

Topic : 02/25 Deadly Thin

Number of Replies: 195
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 22, 2008, 12:10:38 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine standing in front of a mirror and seeing an obese person staring back at you. Now imagine that this person looking back at you actually weighs only 60 pounds. Dr. Phil takes a look inside the mind of an anorexic and bulimic 28-year-old named Aimee, whose frame is so fragile after years of deprivation, doctors have said she has the bones of a 90-year-old woman. Her bulimia is so extreme, she vomits up to 150 times a day and by evening, sees blood. What dark secret from Aimee’s childhood could have set her on this path to self-destruction? And is she too far gone, or can she come back from her downward spiral before it’s too late? To answer these and other critical questions, Dr. Phil calls on his team of medical experts, The Doctors: Dr. Lisa Masterson, an OB/GYN; family therapist Dr. Tara Fields; pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears; plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon; and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork. Plus, Dr. Phil invites a previous guest who was starving for perfection to share her story. Will her personal triumph inspire Aimee to believe that recovery is within reach? Plus The Doctors address teen obesity. What's at stake in this new generation's battle of the bulge? Get in on the conversation!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 22, 2008, 2:39 pm CST

Could it be a "man" thing, too?

While it seems to be mostly young women having eating disorders, I suspect that some boys, and even men in their fifties, could have them. My husband has a co-worker my age, 55, who has lost a lot of weight in a relatively short time. When we go to an all-you-can-eat place, even though "Brent" wastes most of his food, he still eats enough that he shouldn't still be losing weight. And, after he's finished eating, he always goes to the rest-room. To throw up? I'm beginning to wonder. Anyone else here know any men they suspect have eating disorders?

February 22, 2008, 2:52 pm CST

With you I have suffered, without you knowing it

Oh ,  Aimee

Sorrow of my heart

How long have I grieved for you?

February 22, 2008, 7:54 pm CST

Please Pray for this Girl!

I Just wanted to say that my heart goes out to this girl.  Everytime I see this on tv I cry.  I want so bad to reach into the television and just grab her and hold her.  I see so much pain in her eyes and I am praying that Dr Phil saves this girl's life.  I am going to pray for her comeback and can't wait to see how things turn out for her!

February 22, 2008, 9:00 pm CST

Poor girl

I felt bad for this poor girl when I saw the previews for this show. I wanted to help her so much it made me feel sad.

February 23, 2008, 2:19 am CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

Quote From: ramair

While it seems to be mostly young women having eating disorders, I suspect that some boys, and even men in their fifties, could have them. My husband has a co-worker my age, 55, who has lost a lot of weight in a relatively short time. When we go to an all-you-can-eat place, even though "Brent" wastes most of his food, he still eats enough that he shouldn't still be losing weight. And, after he's finished eating, he always goes to the rest-room. To throw up? I'm beginning to wonder. Anyone else here know any men they suspect have eating disorders?

I don't know any personally, but it's possible for men to have eating disorders too. In fact, the consensus of anorexics in...(trying to remember....) I believe it was 2002, I could be mistaken, turned up a larger percentage of men than women.

When I saw the commercial for this episode, I was really scared for this woman. To be honest, I'm surprised she's not dead, or in the hospital, dying. To some of us it may seem rediculous that she is afriad of Dr. Phil thinking she's fat, but if she's that severe of an anorexic and bulimic, then she doesn't really see that she's wrong about it.

I feel sad for her too, because she's probably never going to be able to have kids. Even if Dr. Phil does save her, I think it's too late to save the possibility of children. My aunt had a friend who was anorexic, and she got help and recovered, but unfortunately the result was that she ended up sterile and can't have kids anymore. 

I really do hope Dr. Phil can help her. It's truely sad to see someone so far into an eating disorder like that.

February 23, 2008, 7:15 am CST

It Is Not That Easy

Coming from a family of three girls I can say that between all of us, we must have covered every eating disorder there is. I feel so badly for this gal, but it is not as easy to change as many folks would like to think. Whatever issue(s) are the driving force behind her illness, they will have to be addressed and processed before anything will ever change. This is so much more complex than just getting her to eat...just watching her in the pre-video it appears that there is already some damage done regarding her cognitive abilities.

I will watch in hopes that the doctors can offer this young lady some serious help in (at least) getting her 'stablized', this gal is knocking on death's door right now...it is actually a wonder that her heart hasn't given out yet. As this progresses her organs will shut down, her thinking will become more hazy..and sadly she will die.

I hope that it isn't too late for her..but she is very close. I had a female cousin who died from anorexia/bulemia..she was rail thin for a long time...and then one day her heart just stopped beating..she was only 24.

I wish her olnly the best of luck...she has a long journey ahead of her.

February 23, 2008, 8:30 am CST

51 year old sister-in-law

My sister-in-law is 51 and has become sickly thin.  She claims that she went to Weight Watchers but I know better.  If you get 5 pounds below your goal Weight Watchers will not weigh you anymore and you have to bring in a doctor's note to return.  This woman is about 5 foot 8 inches tall and weighs no more than 110 pounds.  What could cause a women of this age to become anorexic or bulimic or both?  I think I'd rather be fat.

February 23, 2008, 10:07 am CST

02/25 Deadly Thin

I just wanted to write a quick note to say that I personally know Aimee and her family and I think it's very important to make people aware that she has a VERY VERY supportive family!  Every family has their problems, but Aimee's weren't anything more than the average persons.  I think that people immediately assume that the parents were horrible people or something absolutely terrible happened to Aimee as a child,...but that may not always be the case.  With that said, I do believe that Aimee has inner struggles that need to be dealt with and to this point she has not been able to do that with the support she has been given.  I pray that through this experience that Aimee is able to have hope again and strength to get through the hard work ahead of her,...that she will have a renewal of her zest for life! 

February 23, 2008, 10:24 am CST

There is hope - Don't give up.

If I could do it you can too. 6 years ago I was a 90 pound annorexic.  My who world was a mess.  I had the most controlling mother ever, all but one of my children was out of control and my one good daughter was murdered by her husband.  I was in and out of the best eating disorder clinics includiing Center for Change and Remuda Life.  I fought treatment.  My food was my only friend.  The experts gave up on me and I was almost put in a State instituation for life.  After 35 years of fighting this demond the light finally turned on.  I put into practice all that I learned and did everything in my power to get this monkey off my back.  I had to divorce my husband of 28 years because he wasn't good for me.  Two years later I was still white knuckleing it when I met the most wonderful man in the whole world.  He treats me like a queen and my self-esteem is soaring.  After my controlling mother passed away so did my eating disorder.  I have been completing eating disorder free for 3 years now.  Wow, you wouldn't believe the freedom and power I feel.  6 years ago, I wish I could have seen a glimpse at the future.  Life is really beautiful.

NEVER NEVER GIVE UP!

February 23, 2008, 10:48 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Deadly Doctor Phil Thin. Are you kidding me? I  weigh amost 127 pounds and loving it. I donot care how---

much you weigh at all. See you on Monday Feburary 25th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last