Message Boards

Topic : 06/23 Alter Egos

Number of Replies: 257
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 22, 2008, 12:11:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/26/08) Do you know someone whose private persona is dramatically different from the face he or she shows to the world? Dr. Phil’s guests say their mates lead a double life, and it's wreaking havoc on their relationships. Kerrylee found love online with a man named Al and thought he was a pilot fighting overseas in the war. After 32 months of cyber courtship, she’s now engaged to this man she’s never met. Kerrylee started having doubts that Al was as young as he stated in his profile. Is her Prince Charming really a toad in disguise? Dr. Phil puts private investigator Harold Copus on the case to find out. You won’t believe what he digs up! Then, Dean says his wife, Deb, has a split personality. For the past three years, she has pretended to be a hip 35-year-old with no kids, but she’s actually a 52-year-old grandmother with three adult children! Deb says this alter ego gives her clout to manage rock bands, but is she simply afraid of growing old? Tell us what you think.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 25, 2008, 4:09 am CST

One nevers knows....

Quote From: samalie

Hey everyone,

This is really creepy... Well, I think I need everyone's advice on this...

I've been playing an online game for about 3 years and I have lots of friends there...

I accepted giving my email to one of them whom I've always trusted... (We used to be boyfriend/girlfriend like 2 years ago but now we're just friends, and he has been on my Facebook list for about 4 months.)

I added him to my Facebook list and saw many pics of him and he saw some pics of myself as well...

I mean, he seems a fine person and he never did or said anything to hurt me... I just think he is trustworthy, but all of these stories about the net makes me sick.... :s

So, what should I do? Should I just remove him or not?

Share your opinion frankly, please!

I have been there and done that. ALL OF IT! I went to another state after I thought this guy loved me. He only loved what my bank account had in it. His friends and him took me for everything. Left me in debt with the IRS and broke. Stuck on the other side of the US away from my family. I have since gotten home, gotten out of debt, have remarried and am very happy. It has been a long and painful time for me. I carried this on my back for several years. One can find love at one's own back door. Not across the other side of the US or the world. Cybering can and is dangerous. You really have to be careful. Especially females. I do not know what "face-book" is but I would be very careful what you put into a profile and what I shared with the cyber world. Just my two cents worth.....

February 25, 2008, 7:52 am CST

Shadycat

Quote From: shadycat1

my point was, like everyone else I could be ANYTHING I chose to be, and back it up if need be.
As for the fixation (not really again just trying to make a point here) sounds a lot more exciting than being a brunette housewife (if I were trying to find someone online, I'm not) mother of three, problem is we ever met the reality would be lets say quite different and probably disappointing.
Do I take it seriously, sometimes yes sometimes no, I think it depends on the topic, some topics are quite serious and shouldn't be taken lightly, and IF someone were lying about say being abused well that's not cool at all, but then what choice do you have but to take it at face value .
Is it lying, well let's be honest , my real name isn't Shadycat, technically a lie, but then common sense as well and most of us don't put personal info here (even on this site which is fairly safe, as safe as any I guess).
Sorry no offense intended, just trying to make the point that we have to be careful, that some will exagerate or BLATANTLY LIE to make themselves seem more appealing to others, and being in another place behind a computer monitor makes it easy to do.

So, you'd make a pretty good on-line friend.  Basically,  you tell the truth.  You are what you say you are. We agree on many points, and we can have a discussion without getting our feelings hurt.

Be proud of your home and family!  Being a "brunette housewife" is the hardest and most rewarding job.  And we have no social status whatever.  We almost apologize for working 12-18 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, and no retirement benefits, time off, or even sick leave.  I suppose what a housewife most longs for is adult company.  I once went two months, and no one called me by my first name.  I was Mommie or Ooots.  I almost forgot my own first name.

February 25, 2008, 8:04 am CST

Alter egos...

I found an article about a man that "double dated" his girlfriend using an alter ego, and the girlfriend fell for the alter ego over the real guy!

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?art_id=qw1058427901273b235

Sounds like "Second Life" the video game where you create avatars (alter egos) and create this whole life around it. Some people actually meet other avatars and "fall in love".

I don't get it, if I fall in love with someone, it has to be face-to-face so I have a better grip on whats real, but that's just me.

February 25, 2008, 10:25 am CST

True Story...

I have a friend who regulary goes online and pretends to be other people.  She pretends to be a guy and talks with women.  She has a "girlfriend" who thinks she is a guy.  These people send my friend money and games and other stuff.

I am so baffelled at how she can get away with it, but there are so many people who will belive anything.  I mean OMG they haven't even spoken to eachother over the phone, but they will send her money and goodies.

I am sharing this with all of you so you know what is out there. If you are involved with someone online and it seems fishy....it probably is not all who you think they are.

February 25, 2008, 2:39 pm CST

My husband

I have been married for 37 years.  To the outside world my husband is the most perfect man a live, kind, loving, and innocent.,  To me and family he is hateful, selfish, and had 3 different affairs.   He left me a letter to read a few years ago on Christmas morning telling me of his undieing love for another women and that he was divorcing me and marrying her.  That was right before his daughters wedding and after I had went on Social Security Disability.  He knew I couldn't afford to leave him.  He claims to have went to anger management, but if he did it didn't help. He has very selective hearing and memory even though the doctors say his hearing is great and that he has a perfect brain according to the neurologist who tested him.  He likes to play mental games on the family like playing sick to get our caring attention. I can usually get him to quit playing the game by just letting him know that I know it is a game.I get tired of hearing what a great guy he is so I have gotten to were I turn around and tell the person fine you take him and live with him then I walk off. 

February 25, 2008, 5:05 pm CST

02/26 Alter Egos

Quote From: gwarrior6

I found an article about a man that "double dated" his girlfriend using an alter ego, and the girlfriend fell for the alter ego over the real guy!

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?art_id=qw1058427901273b235

Sounds like "Second Life" the video game where you create avatars (alter egos) and create this whole life around it. Some people actually meet other avatars and "fall in love".

I don't get it, if I fall in love with someone, it has to be face-to-face so I have a better grip on whats real, but that's just me.

I don't get it either, Quarrier, and I thought it was because I'm 53. I know you're about my daughter's age(26) so I guess it's not about how old we are. When I was young, I guess there were computers somewhere but not like it is now. Back then, I would never have dreamed that things would be the way they are today. I can't imagine meeting someone online, and falling in love and planning marriage. I imagine there are successful online relationships, but it seems like a dicey undertaking to me.

February 25, 2008, 5:12 pm CST

02/26 Alter Egos

Quote From: derevna33

So, you'd make a pretty good on-line friend.  Basically,  you tell the truth.  You are what you say you are. We agree on many points, and we can have a discussion without getting our feelings hurt.

Be proud of your home and family!  Being a "brunette housewife" is the hardest and most rewarding job.  And we have no social status whatever.  We almost apologize for working 12-18 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, and no retirement benefits, time off, or even sick leave.  I suppose what a housewife most longs for is adult company.  I once went two months, and no one called me by my first name.  I was Mommie or Ooots.  I almost forgot my own first name.

Well, I just have to say that I have been a brunette housewife, a red headed housewife, a blonde housewife, and a lot of shades in between. Right now I am a redheaded housewife. I do my own hair so unfortunately I have at times been a green haired housewife and an orange haired housewife.

February 25, 2008, 6:39 pm CST

Outgoing...

Quote From: housewife52

I don't get it either, Quarrier, and I thought it was because I'm 53. I know you're about my daughter's age(26) so I guess it's not about how old we are. When I was young, I guess there were computers somewhere but not like it is now. Back then, I would never have dreamed that things would be the way they are today. I can't imagine meeting someone online, and falling in love and planning marriage. I imagine there are successful online relationships, but it seems like a dicey undertaking to me.

I have to go out with people, actually see them in person to get a feel for who they are.  The internet makes it easy to lie and edit out all the things you don't like about yourself.  It's not all bad, but when people get into things like creating fake identities to mess with others, they're cyber-punks who need to find something better to do, IMO. 

February 25, 2008, 11:14 pm CST

HOW TO FIGHT BACK - REPORT INTERNET FRAUD AND ID THEFT

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is very committed to investigating internet, telephone, mail fraud and identity theft.  The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers report, spot, stop, and avoid them.

Education is a key tool to prevent consumer injury.  The following link to the FTC website, you'll find publications with advice on avoiding scams and rip-offs, as well as tips on other consumer topics and reporting consumer fraud and identity theft.

www.ftc.gov/ftc/consumer.htm 

To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit www.ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261.

The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

Hope it helps!

February 26, 2008, 5:48 am CST

my old boss

I use to work for miss kerrilee here in Maine and I remember when she use to run to the phone when he would call and she would get soooo upset when she missed his call! I think we all basically questioned this guy the moment we heard about him.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last